Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
okay, I'm 99% sure Dejan is wrong.

Unrestricted Free Agent: 27 years of age OR 7-years of service.

Simon Despres' first year in the NHL was the 2011-2012 season.

His contract is up after the 2015-2016 season.

That's 6 seasons of service, and 6 years of service. I believe he has ONE YEAR of RFA after that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So DK was wrong? Big surprise there. I doubt these guys even know the difference between a UFA and an RFA.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
well ******* it. I spent 15 minutes doing this because I couldn't get the ****ing archive of capgeek to show up.

Thanks Bambam and Wes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can someone tweet him to tell him he is wrong? I'd love to see one of these guys caught for their incompetency

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Without capgeek, I don't know how to check, but I'm guessing that's rights/waiverstatus-related.

By my calculations, Dumoulin shouldn't need waivers until next season which makes his lack of NHL game time even more confusing.

Dumoulin signed his ELC in April 2012 at age 20. Based on age at signing, within three years of signing or less than 160 NHL GP, he is waiver exempt according to the CBA. Dumoulin has only played 14 NHL games, and three years doesn't expire until the end of the season.

Even if his signing age was 21 (not 20), he would be waiver exempt for three years and 80 NHL games.

For Despres, accoringing to the CBA, unrestricted free agents are:

Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age - Group 3 UFA

Any Player who has completed ten (10) or more professional seasons (minor league or NHL seasons, but excluding any season in Major Juniors) - Group 5

Any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). - Group 6

Draft-related Free Agents

Undrafted free agents

Despres doesn't meet any of the requirements to become a UFA.

EDIT:

Source? I'm assuming his free agency status is something the team would have told DK

The CBA.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Can someone tweet him to tell him he is wrong? I'd love to see one of these guys caught for their incompetency

I bet he'd just make fun of you/block you while defending his article 100%. He is a petulant little child that can't ever been shown to be wrong about something.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
well ******* it. I spent 15 minutes doing this because I couldn't get the ****ing archive of capgeek to show up.

Thanks Bambam and Wes.

Hey it was a nice trip down memory lane in that old thread you posted!

Oh the excitement of re-signing a young defenseman and the anticipation of watching him develop without the shackles of the previous regime to mess it up. What naive whippersnappers we all were.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Oh the excitement of re-signing a young defenseman and the anticipation of watching him develop without the shackles of the previous regime to mess it up. What naive whippersnappers we all were.

I ... noticed that.

annnnnnnd Despression.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Just a nice little reminder that for the most part life sucks, and you usually don't end up getting your happy ending. Whoopie!

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I am a big fan of Despres and I'm sorry to see him go but I think some of you are getting carried away here. Right now Ben Lovejoy is a better player, that may not be the case in two years but as of today Lovejoy is better. You can't put Shero's poor asset management on JR or Lovejoy himself and it seems like that is what is happening.

I understand why some people are so worked up over this trade, you have the way Simon was treated the last two years (it was bs), you have the way Bennett is treated now, you have Craig Adams still in the NHL. I get it. But you also have to consider just maybe that Despres wasn't progressing the way they wanted him to (right or wrong). He does seem to be a bit immature or at the least inconsistent (again, I get it he is a young d).

Lovejoy is more stable right now and is a RH shot which they lacked. The Pens are in win now mode rightly or wrongly and they think Lovejoy is a better fit. Ideally the Pens would have shot Scuderi into the sun instead of trading Despres but here we are. Perhaps some of you are a bit too emotionally invested in something you have zero control over.

PS: Lovejoy's blog was awesome back in the day.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Gee whiz. Dejan harping on a bunch of half-truths and flat-out fallacies. And being a contrarian (until too much evidence makes it uncomfortable to be so, of course). Didn't see that coming.

Seriously... this guy is no better than Rossi. He just presents thing more eloquently.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
okay, I'm 99% sure Dejan is wrong.

Unrestricted Free Agent: 27 years of age OR 7-years of service.

Simon Despres' first year in the NHL was the 2011-2012 season.

His contract is up after the 2015-2016 season.

That's 6 seasons of service, and 6 years of service. I believe he has ONE YEAR of RFA after that.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

This reads somewhat more confusing to me. Because of his early birthday (when it comes to RFA/UFA status, the date that matters is June 30), he may have technically accrued an extra year of service in there somewhere. Or maybe not.

It's something that probably needs to be asked of Fitzgerald, Bob Murray or Despres agent.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I am a big fan of Despres and I'm sorry to see him go but I think some of you are getting carried away here. Right now Ben Lovejoy is a better player, that may not be the case in two years but as of today Lovejoy is better. You can't put Shero's poor asset management on JR or Lovejoy himself and it seems like that is what is happening.

I understand why some people are so worked up over this trade, you have the way Simon was treated the last two years (it was bs), you have the way Bennett is treated now, you have Craig Adams still in the NHL. I get it. But you also have to consider just maybe that Despres wasn't progressing the way they wanted him to (right or wrong). He does seem to be a bit immature or at the least inconsistent (again, I get it he is a young d).

Lovejoy is more stable right now and is a RH shot which they lacked. The Pens are in win now mode rightly or wrongly and they think Lovejoy is a better fit. Ideally the Pens would have shot Scuderi into the sun instead of trading Despres but here we are. Perhaps some of you are a bit too emotionally invested in something you have zero control over.

PS: Lovejoy's blog was awesome back in the day.

I have no clue how somebody can tell me with a straight face that Lovejoy is unquestionably a better player than Despres right now. At the very least it's debatable, and the fact that it's debatable makes it a horrible and unnecessary trade.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
so Dejan flat out lies/gets the UFA/RFA thing wrong, then refers to 'young defenseman" while ignoring that Despres was 23. The same age as Brian Dumoulin and only 2 years older than Harrington.

DOES THE PITTSBURGH MEDIA KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SIMON DESPRES?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

This reads somewhat more confusing to me. Because of his early birthday (when it comes to RFA/UFA status, the date that matters is June 30), he may have technically accrued an extra year of service in there somewhere. Or maybe not.

It's something that probably needs to be asked of Fitzgerald, Bob Murray or Despres agent.

FWIW, Capgeek lists him as an RFA, if that matters to you

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
so Dejan flat out lies/gets the UFA/RFA thing wrong, then refers to 'young defenseman" while ignoring that Despres was 23. The same age as Brian Dumoulin and only 2 years older than Harrington.

DOES THE PITTSBURGH MEDIA KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SIMON DESPRES?

No. And if you remove the last three words of that question, the answer is still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad