Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
To be clear, I don't really have a negative opinion of Despres. 23 year old D, 70 games in or whatever, picked at 30, he's at a perfectly reasonable place. Some things to like, some things to not like. Not everybody's Larry Robinson in year 3. In fact, nobody is.

He's not our second best defenseman, or whatever, but he's fine, in my opinion, for his experience and what he's being asked to do.

Trading him seems like an overreaction to flaws that are somewhat common in players his age, to me. And it's placing an awful lot of faith in Brian Dumoulin. I like Dumoulin, but maybe it would be smarter to get to know the new boyfriend a bit better before you file the divorce papers, so to speak.

The one thing I just can't get my head around is the thought process behind getting rid of a 24 year old defenseman still dealing with growing and adapting to the NHL for a (debatable) marginal upgrade.

Trading Despres, or not trading Despres really is beside the point, and not something people should be focusing on. What they got in return for him is. Just because you have prospects coming up sooner rather than later means jack. You still have to get fair value out of your players if you try to trade them. By all reasonable measures, Lovejoy for Despres straight up, without even any draft picks coming back, is pretty piss poor asset management.

It's just all magnified by the fact that this team seems 100% reluctant to deal with any form of developmental curve outside of a player immediately coming in and being successful for a prolonged period of time.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Murray crossed his fingers.

Also, why would Stoner play over Despres? Despres is 23 and full of potential. Stoner is 30, what you see is what you get as he's done developing. Despres also has an inch on Stoner and hits more.

Yeah I don't know why they think Despres won't get any playing time. Vatanen is out for the rest of the month, so he'll have plenty of time to show his worth.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Does anyone have any insight into Dumoulin?

Judging by how quickly he was sent down during pre-season and that I think he's been the last call-up (among Dumo, Harry & DP) and been up the least, the Pens don't seem to be too high on him.
Fans on this board and bloggers also seem to put him below the other two and definitely below Despres and Maatta.

I don't know that I would say that moving Despres is putting faith in Dumoulin. Instead, the team seems to have judged Maatta and Pouliot as the defensemen of the future with Letang and that the other three slots could be filled in any way (UFA, trades, Dumo/Harry).

Well shouldn't be that surprised, I mean he was traded by our GM already once before.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Murray crossed his fingers.

Also, why would Stoner play over Despres? Despres is 23 and full of potential. Stoner is 30, what you see is what you get as he's done developing. Despres also has an inch on Stoner and hits more. Despres 184 hits (4th for D), Stoner 104 hits (50th for D).

Why did Scuderi play over Despres?

Anaheim is an internal cap team, Stoner is signed for 3 million. They aren't going to let that sit on the bench.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Because BB is an idiot and has the same mentality as DB. Wouldn't be surprised if he is left out and is the 7th D in Anaheim.

I don't think BB is that dumb.

Yeah I don't know why they think Despres won't get any playing time. Vatanen is out for the rest of the month, so he'll have plenty of time to show his worth.

Oh is he? then Despres easily plays, should also replace Stoner for the post season.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
this team is going to start looking like the toronto maple leafs of the early 2000s. aging club with one or two star players surrounded by a bunch of declining veterans, with little in the way of impact youngsters coming through the ranks. everyone knew the team was heading downward yet they continued to trade away picks/prospects for old vets in a desperate attempt to contend for the cup, yet they never really were a true contender.

thats going to be the penguins, there seems little doubt of that. sid and geno will be enough to still keep this team semi-relevant and maybe make a playoff run or two, but no way is this team going to be anything close to a contender outside of the next 2-3 years (not that they are real contenders now).

this team has got to be at least in the bottom five in the league at developing young talent, if not the worst. and when you have a mediocre team to begin with that is propped up by two aging stars, that bodes extremely poorly for the future of this team.

mediocre team+2 stars+inability to develop young players=no chance at a cup

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
To be clear, I don't really have a negative opinion of Despres. 23 year old D, 70 games in or whatever, picked at 30, he's at a perfectly reasonable place. Some things to like, some things to not like. Not everybody's Larry Robinson in year 3. In fact, nobody is.

He's not our second best defenseman, or whatever, but he's fine, in my opinion, for his experience and what he's being asked to do.

Trading him seems like an overreaction to flaws that are somewhat common in players his age, to me. And it's placing an awful lot of faith in Brian Dumoulin. I like Dumoulin, but maybe it would be smarter to get to know the new boyfriend a bit better before you file the divorce papers, so to speak.

It'll be interesting to see if we're right about this. I strongly believe SD just went from an ok situation for him personally to a very bad one.

Well, there are a handful of posters on this board who believe you are a hater if you think Despres is anything less than a #2 Dman or if you point out he has flaws.

I like Despres too, but I try to be objective as there is a serious group think mentality regarding his abilities that has pervaded this board.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
this team is going to start looking like the toronto maple leafs of the early 2000s. aging club with one or two star players surrounded by a bunch of declining veterans, with little in the way of impact youngsters coming through the ranks. everyone knew the team was heading downward yet they continued to trade away picks/prospects for old vets in a desperate attempt to contend for the cup, yet they never really were a true contender.

thats going to be the penguins, there seems little doubt of that. sid and geno will be enough to still keep this team semi-relevant and maybe make a playoff run or two, but no way is this team going to be anything close to a contender outside of the next 2-3 years (not that they are real contenders now).

this team has got to be at least in the bottom five in the league at developing young talent, if not the worst. and when you have a mediocre team to begin with that is propped up by two aging stars, that bodes extremely poorly for the future of this team.

mediocre team+2 stars+inability to develop young players=no chance at a cup

I'd say Letang is a star player, Maatta is a star in the making unless his cancer screwed him over. Pouliot might be a star in the making, depends how he gets developed. Guy has so much potential, but wont surprise me to see him traded for a vet when he starts slumping.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think BB is that dumb.

Oh is he? then Despres easily plays, should also replace Stoner for the post season.

Or maybe the Ducks try to send him down, we pick him up off waivers, Scuderi magically disappears, and we all live happily ever after :laugh:

But yeah, he'll definitely get a chance. I'd like to think that BB would reward him if he plays well. I mean, he did play Gibson in big situations in the playoffs despite his inexperience. It's not like he hasn't given young guys chances over vets in the past.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Or maybe the Ducks try to send him down, we pick him up off waivers, Scuderi magically disappears, and we all live happily ever after :laugh:

But yeah, he'll definitely get a chance. I'd like to think that BB would reward him if he plays well. I mean, he did play Gibson in big situations in the playoffs despite his inexperience. It's not like he hasn't given young guys chances over vets in the past.

I dunno what happened, i thought our coach would be good for letting the young guys play? he coached the young guys well in Portland, didn't matter who left because his coaching was good down there. BB gets next to no chance, Despres gets shafted aswell, it's almost like the org is telling him how to coach the team. There will be growing pains for sure, MJ knows all about that or atleast should know.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Judging by how quickly he was sent down during pre-season and that I think he's been the last call-up (among Dumo, Harry & DP) and been up the least, the Pens don't seem to be too high on him.

Fans on this board and bloggers also seem to put him below the other two and definitely below Despres and Maatta.

I don't know that I would say that moving Despres is putting faith in Dumoulin. Instead, the team seems to have judged Maatta and Pouliot as the defensemen of the future with Letang and that the other three slots could be filled in any way (UFA, trades, Dumo/Harry).

Without capgeek, I don't know how to check, but I'm guessing that's rights/waiverstatus-related.

He's not eligible to be a UFA. He's still an RFA. DK didn't fact check.

Source? I'm assuming his free agency status is something the team would have told DK

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'm not 100% sure this is true.

Spotrac says UFA

Rotoworld says RFA

but more importantly, I'm pretty sure we all looked it up on Capgeek when he signed the deal, and it was RFA.

Archive of capgeek says he will be an RFA

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I think the org is very confident in Dumo, and the Despres trade spells out just how confident they are. Dumo is going to be a very good pro, and has been effectively dominant in the A the last two seasons, and what's more, the strength of his game is what MJ wants, and that's excellent transition skills and above average skating for a big man. All he needs is experience at the pro level and confidence, the 2nd of which he's been building steadily.

The org did not know exactly where Pouliot was until this past call-up. And I think Harrington will get the Dumo treatment next year (once again, due to his exemption status), which will probably work out for the best.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, there are a handful of posters on this board who believe you are a hater if you think Despres is anything less than a #2 Dman or if you point out he has flaws.

I like Despres too, but I try to be objective as there is a serious group think mentality regarding his abilities that has pervaded this board.

I have seen very, very few people characterize him as a top pairing defenseman. Even his fans. Even in the future should things go well in his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad