The Reason Why The Canucks WONT Change Back To The Skate Jersey

lawrence

May 19, 2012
shortly after revealing their new "current" jerseys back in 2007, everyone was not satisfied infact it was to the point were they were like ok we will change it after the 2010 season (olympic) but they have since let it slide and nothing has happend.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
CaPBz6OUUAAe88S.jpg:large
CaPFa88VAAAKTCf.jpg:large

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The Red Wings logo is based off of a bicycle wheel (not a car as I originally thought). A logo means what you want it to mean.

A Canuck isn't a "thing" like a Yankee isn't a "thing". What I can't figure out is what a Wild or a Capital is in this context.

A Canuck is a Canadian soldier. Term was coined by British troops in WWI

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm a '94 fan, but I think the Canucks skate logo looks too much like a plate of spaghetti. I don't really feel the nostalgia for it.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Red Wings logo is based off of a bicycle wheel (not a car as I originally thought). A logo means what you want it to mean.

A Canuck isn't a "thing" like a Yankee isn't a "thing". What I can't figure out is what a Wild or a Capital is in this context.

The Red Wings logo is based on the Montreal AAA's winged wheel but clearly that wheel is from an automobile and it is meant to represent the "motor city".

A "Canuck" absolutely is a thing. In this context it means a player on the Canucks. Ditto for a "Capital". A "Wild" does seem a little harder to wrap your head around.

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
All we should do is switch our 3rds to our homes and create a white version of that for the roads.

No skate, no orca, no ****ing Vs either.

Pretty much.

Alternatively, they could simply bring back the absolute perfection of these babies and we'll be the envy of the league.

jul0510_orlandhenrik11_b_slide.jpg

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Pretty much.

Alternatively, they could simply bring back the absolute perfection of these babies and we'll be the envy of the league.

jul0510_orlandhenrik11_b_slide.jpg

I don't even like these jerseys...especially the big blocky letters

And since I don't like it, it is clearly trash

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They will never change the orca. Victor de bo is said it outright that fans in their 20s only know the orca and they want to build a legacy.

They can hangs the logo to the stick in rink and it would be fine, but keep the colours

Having a throwback night is ****ing awesome though and I'm so happy they are doing it

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't even like these jerseys...especially the big blocky letters

And since I don't like it, it is clearly trash

See Canucks fans are so split. There are generations that like this jersey and generations like that that one. The majority will never agree on the same thing so best to leave it as is and grow an identity with it.

All the original six teams have done the same pretty much and stuck with what they've had through their history and now are known as historic logos etc

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
See Canucks fans are so split. There are generations that like this jersey and generations like that that one. The majority will never agree on the same thing so best to leave it as is and grow an identity with it.

All the original six teams have done the same pretty much and stuck with what they've had through their history and now are known as historic logos etc

I'll be interested to see what happens with jersey sales if the spaghetti skate is made regularly available again. I gather only a limited number have been produced for the anniversary game. One way that the "skate jersey" could make a comeback is if fans start buying them en mass and wearing them to games. That's assuming the team makes them regularly, and doesn't do just a one-off production set.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Are there any examples of what the skate logo looks like with white in the background of the circle?

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
A Canuck is a Canadian soldier. Term was coined by British troops in WWI

A "Canuck" absolutely is a thing. In this context it means a player on the Canucks. Ditto for a "Capital". A "Wild" does seem a little harder to wrap your head around.

I was pointing out the meaning of Canuck by drawing the parallel to Yankee.

The Red Wings logo is based on the Montreal AAA's winged wheel but clearly that wheel is from an automobile and it is meant to represent the "motor city".

The wheel was borrowed from a sports club that leaned heavily towards cycling. It just happened to work really well with a team based in Detroit.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Its the Calgary Canucks!

I really don't understand why the Canucks should ever wear these uniforms again. Bringing it back for even one game is just going to reopen this stupid uniform debate and ensure that the stands look really really ugly again. How sad to think that the uniform turmoil and instability was finally put to rest for about a decade and then they open it all up all over again...

It really just makes this franchise look like a complete joke. Good teams don't have this kind instability. The find a look and stick with it. They don't go through 29 completely different colour palettes and uniforms. That's the mark of a bad franchise and bad ownership. The Canucks should be looking for stability.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I was pointing out the meaning of Canuck by drawing the parallel to Yankee.

The wheel was borrowed from a sports club that leaned heavily towards cycling. It just happened to work really well with a team based in Detroit.

A Yankee is a thing.

The red wings logo is not a bicycle wheel. It has a whitewall.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Its the Calgary Canucks!

I really don't understand why the Canucks should ever wear these uniforms again. Bringing it back for even one game is just going to reopen this stupid uniform debate and ensure that the stands look really really ugly again. How sad to think that the uniform turmoil and instability was finally put to rest for about a decade and then they open it all up all over again...

It really just makes this franchise look like a complete joke. Good teams don't have this kind instability. The find a look and stick with it. They don't go through 29 completely different colour palettes and uniforms. That's the mark of a bad franchise and bad ownership. The Canucks should be looking for stability.

There was a point in time where I vehemently disagreed with this line of thinking. But as I grow older, I've definitely started echoing this sentiment. It's great and adorable that each of Vancouver's cup runs are associated with different colorways and uniforms, but the franchise is now getting to the point where it needs stability in identity. The '90s franchises like the Senators, Sharks and Panthers are in their twenties. They can go have the identity crises.

The Skate logo and uniform brings back memories of Z95.3, affordable housing, Roxette, Pacific Coliseum pee troughs and your mom's E100 Toyota Corolla, but just like those things, it's a period piece. You can bring it out once in a while for its feel-good qualities, but put it back in the closet afterwards before it starts to smell up the room.

Also, the Kings own black now, and **** the Kings. Don't forget the Bruins, either.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Black and red is so overused around the league. I like our colours, we are the only team with this colour scheme and makes sense considering the province we live in. I prefer the stick in the rink too, especially the 40th anniversary white versions.

Yeah the logo is basic but so are lots of logos, some of the best and most well known are extremely basic. The idea of the orca is cool but it's just not a good logo on clothing. Looks horrible on a hat.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Orca = John McCaw and Mark Messier

Strike the foul beast from the sweaters and purge this franchise of the last vestige of that regime.

Oh, and league wide there should be a return to home whites.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
They will never change the orca. Victor de bo is said it outright that fans in their 20s only know the orca and they want to build a legacy.

Catering to a particular age group or demographic is just plain wrong. Period. Personally, I feel that deBonis is "corporately" minding his P's & Q's. If the Canucks really wanted to keep the orca, they would have kept the original orca template and just change the colours to what they are today, with maybe a touch of silver.

Back to the topic, as much as I love the Skate logo and its colours, the logo should only be used as a throwback 2-3 times per season. The reality is that the Skate was as much as a mistake as the orca. The club is finally back in its original colours which are unique and represent the Pacific Northwest perfectly.

What the Canucks need to do is ditch the orca and the cluttering "VANCOUVER" and go with Johnny Canuck. It's whom the club is named after. Today on TSN 1040 Radio Vancouver, David Pratt said that it's time for JC to replace the orca. He couldn't be more right.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Fact is the stickrink is the only logo the canucks have ever had thats nice and can withstand the test of time.
Its already got history and is classic.
Try to come up with another logo for "canuck" thats better. I doubt you can, since theres 1000 fan logos out there and theyre all terribad.

Johnny canuck is ahl
Skate logo is a complicated 90s video game.
Orca is woat for so many reasons.
That pilot concept was decent. But not for a full time logo.

Theres only one real option, we finally found a colour scheme thats the real deal, put the only good logo we have on it and lets stick with it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad