The Reason Why The Canucks WONT Change Back To The Skate Jersey

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
You find the colour representation of water, snow, and trees depressing?
Yeah, the Flames despite having an ugly logo, looks much lively, energetic than ours. The Canadiens colour of red looks more sophisticated. Now, I don't understand the need to design a jersey that represent us, that is so unnecessary, I want a jersey that looks great.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
There's only a year a half until the colourway and jersey set reaches its 10[sup]th[/sup] year of use (August 29[sup]th[/sup], 2007)

And in that same span of time, the logo reaches its 20[sup]th[/sup] anniversary (June 3[sup]rd[/sup], 1997)

The most realistic scenario for change I see is that they remove the wordmark and implement some kind of minor change in patterning or striping in order to differentiate the jersey from the 1970s template it's based on

I'll just bring this out again

LXErDlt.jpg

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
There's only a year a half until the colourway and jersey set reaches its 10[sup]th[/sup] year of use (August 29[sup]th[/sup], 2007)

And in that same span of time, the logo reaches its 20[sup]th[/sup] anniversary (June 3[sup]rd[/sup], 1997)

The most realistic scenario for change I see is that they remove the wordmark and implement some kind of minor change in patterning or striping in order to differentiate the jersey from the 1970s template it's based on

I'll just bring this out again

LXErDlt.jpg
Please no more orca whale logo. Literally one of the worst logo in history.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.

Seriously don't see how it's so terrible
I mainly grew up with it
But vaguely recall seeing the skate around as well and the skate confused me as a kid

Orca is fine really, in my opinion

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
"Spaghetti" logo is too busy. Simple is better when it comes to logos.

Agree with that and it only looks good on the black sweaters. It is very limited for merchandise. Also anyone seeing it for the first time has no idea what it is or what it stands for.

Whether or not people like the whale, it is simple, it makes sense when associated with Vancouver, works in a lot of situations/merchandise.

Anyway I'm off to play with my spaghetti era Canucks Zamboni toy. vroom vroom.

DyerMaker66*

I just wish they'd take out the "VANCOUVER" on the logo, looks really ugly IMO (especially on jerseys with captain letters). I read it was done to sell merchandise to tourists for the 2010 Olympics. That's over now, so we can go back to the orca with no text above it.

I also like the minimalist look of the stink-in-rink logo/jersey.

I agree, but make the orca a little bigger to fill the space a bit better.

I'm not a fan of the stink-in-rink logo, but it's certainly not ugly.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

It's a solid logo....
- Haida art work repping our heritage
- whale breaking thru ice.. As they frequent our waters..
- in the form of the C for Canucks...
- perfect colours repping the mountains and ocean

The ONLY con was it was produced related to Ocra Bay Sports and Entertainment so some have a negative association with ownership/corporation...

But get by that defunct concept, and it's a great logo...

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
It's a solid logo....
- Haida art work repping our heritage

The ONLY con was it was produced related to Ocra Bay Sports and Entertainment so some have a negative association with ownership/corporation...

#1 To me I just want a good looking logo, so heritage is not a factor for me.
#2 Why would that be important for a sports logo?
#3 I agree to that, but that C can look much better
#4 Once again, not important

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The orca is meh but the words "Vancouver" are such an eyesore

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's a solid logo.

Those are the reasons why its a crap logo.
( the colours are not related obv)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I hate the skate's McDonald's colours.

Listen, keep the colours (with same the Vancouver type), invest in a Johnny Canuck logo, and you're set for a generation.

The Orca isn't perfect but I love them damn alpha predators and the colors are great so whatever.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009

Why doesn't colour scheme representing this city matter? The blue and green is without a doubt the best colour scheme this team has had, from a design profession stand point, from a heritage stand point, from a marketing standpoint, etc. Believe it or not, but embodied meaning in design has significant value. Besides, like the other posters noted; black, red, yellow is simply overdone and boring.

On another note, I've made my disdain for the skate logo known before, but I'll re-iterate; it as a logo has no merits other than the nostalgia attached to it. It's gaudy 80's laser motif is a played out, busy, muddled and a gaudy disaster in this day and age. We need a logo that is timeless and simple like the Habs' logo, the stick and rink may be a bit boring but it's also timeless and unique.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
you don't think the logo should be at all representative of the environment, history, or peoples, it represents? that is utter uninspired, uncreative, and soulless nonsense.

if you just want good looking maybe the Canucks can just skate onto the ice wearing Old Navy apparel.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
you don't think the logo should be at all representative of the environment, history, or peoples, it represents? that is utter uninspired, uncreative, and soulless nonsense.

if you just want good looking maybe the Canucks can just skate onto the ice wearing Old Navy apparel.

:handclap:

Our present jersey is solid now that we're cut away from McCaw.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

How to make a bad logo 101.

The jersey as a whole can embody those things, the logo itself need not.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

It's a sport team, to me a good looking logo is all i care. To me the Orca whale logo is exactly what you describe, uninspired, uncreative, and soulless.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Why doesn't colour scheme representing this city matter? The blue and green is without a doubt the best colour scheme this team has had, from a design profession stand point, from a heritage stand point, from a marketing standpoint, etc. Believe it or not, but embodied meaning in design has significant value. Besides, like the other posters noted; black, red, yellow is simply overdone and boring.

On another note, I've made my disdain for the skate logo known before, but I'll re-iterate; it as a logo has no merits other than the nostalgia attached to it. It's gaudy 80's laser motif is a played out, busy, muddled and a gaudy disaster in this day and age. We need a logo that is timeless and simple like the Habs' logo, the stick and rink may be a bit boring but it's also timeless and unique.
There is a reason why black, red and yellow has been overused, because they look cool and nice. I don't see the reason for being different for the sake of being different. Especially not for that ugly Orca whale logo.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
They will never change the orca. Victor de bo is said it outright that fans in their 20s only know the orca and they want to build a legacy.

Jesus, a legacy of what? We haven't won ****; why the **** are we acting like the orca is permanently tied to some dynasty? :laugh:

Having said that, while I don't love the Orca logo, but since a "Canuck" is not a thing, coming up with a logo is challenging. The Johnny Canuck AHL logo is not an option.

I wish we could change our nickname, then we could build a logo around that. Oh well.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I never knew that other logo was a skate until somewhat recently. Always thought it was stupid. Don't want a new generation thinking the same thing. So what are we, the Vancouver Canucks figure skating club?

The Red Wings logo is based off of a bicycle wheel (not a car as I originally thought). A logo means what you want it to mean.

Let's face it, Canucks is a stupid team name. A Canuck isn't a thing. A maple leaf is a maple leaf. Lightning is lightning, and Canadiens is just iconic.

A Canuck isn't a "thing" like a Yankee isn't a "thing". What I can't figure out is what a Wild or a Capital is in this context.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The Red Wings logo is based off of a bicycle wheel (not a car as I originally thought). A logo means what you want it to mean.

A Canuck isn't a "thing" like a Yankee isn't a "thing". What I can't figure out is what a Wild or a Capital is in this context.

Well, those are also stupid names, but doesn't make ours less stupid.

Nobody ever uses the word "Canuck" unless they are being facetious.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It's a sport team, to me a good looking logo is all i care.
lets be real: I don't care that you don't like the orca. I'd drop it too based on it's corporate orgins (even though it represents a 1000x more about the city than a generic skate or stick do). I'm taking issue you dumb-crap uninspired, soulless reasoning that it only has to look good and it doesn't have to meaning anything about the city it's representing. Of course it has to mean something. If it doesn't, it's no better than a McDonald's logo.

Anything that replaces the orca has to mean something and be representative or what's the goddamn point. replacing it with depictions of hockey equipment is a no-go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad