The Reason Why The Canucks WONT Change Back To The Skate Jersey

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
As much as I'd love it, they wont do it. Even if the game in a couple weeks is a huge hit and the jerseys sell like hotcakes. Why? Well for one, look at Rogers Arena

740148_10151371002857145_1017568241_o-984x500.jpg

35-635x308.jpg

Look at the banners:
DSC_6297.jpg

They have invested A LOT of money into making everything Canuck, green and blue. Maybe back a few years ago, before The Rog got all it's new upgrades, it wouldn't have cost so much to switch over. But since Aqualini has been adding on and upgrading the arena, anything inside the rink thats new or upgraded has been done with the current Canuck colours in mind. Thats why I dont see us changing, unfortunately.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Branding is everything these days. The Canucks are lucky to finally own a colour scheme in the NHL. That is why they should never go back to black gold and red. These are Flames colours. Time for gen-x-ers to let 94 go.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Branding is everything these days. The Canucks are lucky to finally own a colour scheme in the NHL. That is why they should never go back to black gold and red. These are Flames colours. Time for gen-x-ers to let 94 go.
When they still used orange instead of red their combination was unique (and the Flames also didn't have black). But I agree today it is too Calgary for my liking.

Now if they would just use the colors they have invested so heavily in, you know, in their own logo. Rather than having half of team merchandise not even show any green.

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
I have no problem with keeping the current colour scheme but we gotta get rid of that stupid whale. It's corporate branding that has nothing to do with the word 'Canuck', and it manages to commercialize and trivialize Haida art as well. Stick-in-rink, Johnny Canuck or a modified skate logo with the current colours would all be acceptable alternatives.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
They will never change the orca. Victor de bo is said it outright that fans in their 20s only know the orca and they want to build a legacy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much. And i think it goes deeper than just "they've already spent money on Blue and Greening everything".

But since Aqualini has been adding on and upgrading the arena, anything inside the rink thats new or upgraded has been done with the current Canuck colours in mind.

It's the motivation behind pushing this colour scheme on everything. It's "branding" and building an easily identifiable "identity" for the Canucks brand, visually.

Right now, we're the only team in the league with Blue and Green. They're nice colours, they fit Vancouver perfectly. And they're unique in a league where a lot of teams have issues with overlap among multiple teams with the same colour palettes.

So it's not just about costs sunk into making these "Canuck colours"...it's about the reason they've sunk all this money and effort into making these "Canuck colours".

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I've always wanted some simple V or C type logo. Simplify it. Or if we have to keep this logo, at the very least, get rid of the "Vancouver".

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Right now, we're the only team in the league with Blue and Green. They're nice colours, they fit Vancouver perfectly. And they're unique in a league where a lot of teams have issues with overlap among multiple teams with the same colour palettes.

So it's not just about costs sunk into making these "Canuck colours"...it's about the reason they've sunk all this money and effort into making these "Canuck colours".
Which makes it all the weirder, therefore, that so much of their merchandise looks like this:

oth_big_logo_vancouver_tshirt.jpg

41QtDZT6A5L._SY300_.jpg

We're the Tampa Bay Maple Leafs!

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I thought it obvious the franchise wasnt changing anything. Just fan fantasizing.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
When they still used orange instead of red their combination was unique (and the Flames also didn't have black). But I agree today it is too Calgary for my liking.

Now if they would just use the colors they have invested so heavily in, you know, in their own logo. Rather than having half of team merchandise not even show any green.

I don't like the orca bay logo but the way they rendered it in a monochromatic looking palette is very smart. It's a modern palette and the logo works on almost any background colour which is great for merchandising. It's a bit like the Yankees classic Tiffany logo that is seen on every colour of baseball cap. Pink, yellow, camouflage whatever, there is so much flexibility with that orca logo. Merchandising would be very limited if they were restricted to their 3 colour uniform palette.

The uniforms are gorgeous but medium blue and green are difficult to work with. They don't contrast well and they are harder to match in the textile industry. The Canucks had the same problem when they wore orange, red and black uniforms. CCM could no longer manufacture jerseys in those colours and their merchandise palette was frequently mismatched. As a result they had to change to gold, red and black.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't like the orca bay logo but the way they rendered it in a monochromatic looking palette is very smart. It's a modern palette and the logo works on almost any background colour which is great for merchandising. It's a bit like the Yankees classic Tiffany logo that is seen on every colour of baseball cap. Pink, yellow, camouflage whatever, there is so much flexibility with that orca logo. Merchandising would be very limited if they were restricted to their 3 colour uniform palette.

The uniforms are gorgeous but medium blue and green are difficult to work with. They don't contrast well and they are harder to match in the textile industry. The Canucks had the same problem when they wore orange, red and black uniforms. CCM could no longer manufacture jerseys in those colours and their merchandise palette was frequently mismatched. As a result they had to change to gold, red and black.

Yeah, exactly. It makes sense in providing a huge amount of flexibility in what they can do with it.

It means that since the Orca doesn't have Green in it, when it comes to the most basic of merchandise like a plain ol' T-Shirt as posted...no, it's not going to have the green in there. I mean, you're not going to just add it in there just to have it...making it different from the "real thing". And you're not going to have basic T-shirts all "two tone" or start adding in jersey style stripes or anything. So that's the price you pay for the versatility mentioned...

But there's still a ton of merchandise out there that does have the green accents, if that's what you're after. And that's usually the more "premium" stuff. Which from a merchandising perspective, probably works well for them as well. They can pretty much adopt the mantra, "You want the blue AND the green? Pony up for the nicer/more expensive item!" :laugh: Plus, they've left all kinds of avenues open to themselves to sell plenty of instances of the "alternative logos" and stuff as well, which open up a whole different set of merchandising opportunities.

It is a business after all, and this is a good setup that allows them to make a lot of money in a variety of ways. That's capitalism at work!

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
The black red yellow color scheme is horrendous.

The sea to sky color scheme fits so much better with our city.

I never knew that other logo was a skate until somewhat recently. Always thought it was stupid. Don't want a new generation thinking the same thing. So what are we, the Vancouver Canucks figure skating club?

The logo(other than the lettering, which is strange) is VERY good for what it is. It just doesn't say anything about what a Canuck is. Or really say much about hockey.

Let's face it, Canucks is a stupid team name. A Canuck isn't a thing. A maple leaf is a maple leaf. Lightning is lightning, and Canadiens is just iconic.

IF they want a change, The only logo change that would make sense given our team name is something in current colors featuring Johnny Canuck, and the whole legend/story of Johnny Canuck needs to be played up around the league.

But if they do that, wasn't Johnny Canuck an Ontario creation?

I say leave as is, remove the Vancouver and build the brand.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
They'll also still sell a ton of Skate jerseys regardless of whether it's "official". They can do a one off night every season and have a bit of fun with it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I have fond memories of the spaghetti...but it doesn't need to come back as anything more than classic gear in the shops.

Current color scheme is great IMO. Even the watermark has grown on me. Until this iteration of a jersey I'd never had a non-hockey person comment on how nice it was. Happens all the time with the current jerseys.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Spaghetti logo with the new color scheme would look sweeeet. If we get a new jersey, it should be that :D

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I have no problem with keeping the current colour scheme but we gotta get rid of that stupid whale. It's corporate branding that has nothing to do with the word 'Canuck', and it manages to commercialize and trivialize Haida art as well. Stick-in-rink, Johnny Canuck or a modified skate logo with the current colours would all be acceptable alternatives.

exactly. green and blue skate logo works for me. just get rid of the stupid whale.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The sea to sky color scheme fits so much better with our city.

Seriously...

I can't imagine a more "fitting" colour scheme for a Vancouver (and BC in the broader sense) team than the crisp blue green and white that they've now finally
settled on.

I think it perfectly represents the whole "draw" of Vancouver and British Columbia at large. Clean, fresh beautiful environment surrounded by nature.

Black orange and yellow are colours i'd assign to like...Fort McMurray, or Hamilton. :laugh:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I just wish they'd take out the "VANCOUVER" on the logo, looks really ugly IMO (especially on jerseys with captain letters). I read it was done to sell merchandise to tourists for the 2010 Olympics. That's over now, so we can go back to the orca with no text above it.

I also like the minimalist look of the stink-in-rink logo/jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad