The Reason Why The Canucks WONT Change Back To The Skate Jersey

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
lets be real: I don't care that you don't like the orca. I'd drop it too based on it's corporate orgins (even though it represents a 1000x more about the city than a generic skate or stick do). I'm taking issue you dumb-crap uninspired, soulless reasoning that it only has to look good and it doesn't have to meaning anything about the city it's representing. Of course it has to mean something. If it doesn't, it's no better than a McDonald's logo.

Anything that replaces the orca has to mean something and be repsentive or what's the goddamn point. replacing it with depictions of hockey equipment is a no-go.
Please list all the other highly regarded logos that incorporate all of these aspects into it as well....
Any sport even.

The colours are the representative form of the city.
Logo is just a logo.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
lets be real: I don't care that you don't like the orca. I'd drop it too based on it's corporate orgins (even though it represents a 1000x more about the city than a generic skate or stick do). I'm taking issue you dumb-crap uninspired, soulless reasoning that it only has to look good and it doesn't have to meaning anything about the city it's representing. Of course it has to mean something. If it doesn't, it's no better than a McDonald's logo.

Anything that replaces the orca has to mean something and be representative or what's the goddamn point. replacing it with depictions of hockey equipment is a no-go.

You seems offended, I would have asked you to take it easy, but that usually would have the opposite affect. Let's be real, the MacDonald logo in my opinion looks better than the orca whale logo.

Once again, I just don't see why a sports logo would have to represent anything, just make a good looking one, and not a hedious one like the orca whale logo.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
There's only a year a half until the colourway and jersey set reaches its 10[sup]th[/sup] year of use (August 29[sup]th[/sup], 2007)

And in that same span of time, the logo reaches its 20[sup]th[/sup] anniversary (June 3[sup]rd[/sup], 1997)

The most realistic scenario for change I see is that they remove the wordmark and implement some kind of minor change in patterning or striping in order to differentiate the jersey from the 1970s template it's based on

I'll just bring this out again

LXErDlt.jpg

An update would be ok but green really does not work with the orca logo at all and it looks terrible when added to the collar and numbers. There is no reason for it to include every colour in the uniform and vice vs.

Take the Blackhawks classic uniforms for instance. The jersey uses a simple three colour template. The main crest is mostly brown and it includes shades of yellow, blue, green and orange - all shades not found on the jersey itself.

Blackhawks26.png

The Panthers are another example of a classic hockey uniform with great colour balance. No yellow is found in the main crest of the numbers. The main colour of crest is brown - not seen anywhere else on the jersey. It simply works.

Panthers06.png

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
There's only a year a half until the colourway and jersey set reaches its 10[sup]th[/sup] year of use (August 29[sup]th[/sup], 2007)

And in that same span of time, the logo reaches its 20[sup]th[/sup] anniversary (June 3[sup]rd[/sup], 1997)

The most realistic scenario for change I see is that they remove the wordmark and implement some kind of minor change in patterning or striping in order to differentiate the jersey from the 1970s template it's based on

I'll just bring this out again

LXErDlt.jpg

the orca is such trash

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Please list all the other highly regarded logos that incorporate all of these aspects into it as well....
Any sport even.

Logo is just a logo.
either you anchor a logo and let it build up it's own meaning and significance over a century - like, say the Habs - or you change it for something you have damn well thought about.

I'm sorry you are creatively unambitious and how low standards, VanillaCoke.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Like the colours we got. Like "stick in a rink". Don't mind the name.

Vancouver Canucks with current colours and "stick in a rink" logo forever (or at least some version of the same logo).

Just seems so obvious to me.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
You seems offended, I would have asked you to take it easy, but that usually would have the opposite affect. Let's be real, the MacDonald logo in my opinion looks better than the orca whale logo.

Once again, I just don't see why a sports logo would have to represent anything, just make a good looking one, and not a hedious one like the orca whale logo.

Well, yeah, your low creative standards ARE offensive. they demean us all.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
either you anchor a logo and let it build up it's own meaning and significance over a century - like, say the Habs - or you change it for something you have damn well thought about.

Or you change it because it's ugly and hedious. I don't see the point of having an ugly logo that represent us. I would much rather have a meaningless good looking logo.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
you don't think the logo should be at all representative of the environment, history, or peoples, it represents? that is utter uninspired, uncreative, and soulless nonsense.

if you just want good looking maybe the Canucks can just skate onto the ice wearing Old Navy apparel.
There's much more to the history and people of Vancouver than Haida art. Or an orca jumping out of the water.

Maybe they should just start adding 400 colors to the jersey to rep multiculturalism.

There's plenty of us that were around before the new garbage orca logo and I know this is shocking but we also identified with the brand and team.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

We have a classic logo already that both looks good and has history to it. We just have to use it full time. Also id wager most ppl like it better than the orca.

Complicated logos are ugly.
All the best ones in sports and out of it are well thought out but not overly complicated.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
hell i wouldn't be opposed to something like this just take the letters out of the V and maybe add something art to the inside of the V for all those 'heritage" fans. Also stripes being even

0817-ryanhaslett-hc14.png

EDIT: i mean hell, these look much better too . just ignore the green one with the Blue jackets/Wild/Penguin/Panthers logo

CanucksCollab-JustinCoxColinMay.jpg

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
We have a classic logo already that both looks good and has history to it. We just have to use it full time. Also id wager most ppl like it better than the orca.

Complicated logos are ugly.
All the best ones in sports and out of it are well thought out but not overly complicated.
Exactly, to be fair the skate logo is not a simple design either, but visually it looks great and it is the best looking Canucks logo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Any sport even.

Logo is just a logo.

SO many logos are about their regions it's not even funny... Just the ones I know off the top of my head...
Canucks
Oilers
Sharks
Coyotes
Blackhawks
Wild
Jets
Preds
Avalanche
Devils
Islanders
Capitals
Senators
Hirricanes
Lightings
Panthers
Red Wings
Blue Jackets

The Brodatype

Aug 1, 2014
Regarding the colours that apparently fit our city perfectly because of the trees and the water is to me one of the most misguided comments..
Just for a second, imagine if all teams chose their colours based on this. No team except for Arizona would have red.

Secondly getting upset that the Orca is a corporate logo is hilarious too... Orca Bay was a nod to such a magnificent animal that often found around the BC coast. Who cares that it was a company. Its a strong solid simple logo especially now with the more basic colour scheme.

My biggest issue with the current jerseys is how similar the 3rds and home jerseys are. I'm one of the biggest fans of the aesthetics of sport and am always very keen and quick to notice/care/enjoy new jerseys and pads etc. I constantly catch myself realising "oh they are wearing their 3rds" half way through the first period. Leafs being the only other team in the league with a very similar 3rd jersey. Where as the point for me of a 3rd jersey is to have something different from the 1st and 2nd jerseys for marketing and sales standpoint. Lets be real about this. There are never any issues with colours clashing anymore because of how the nhl sets up the home and away jerseys so the 3rd is technically unneeded.

Anyways, I love the 3rd jersey and think if the Vancouver wordmark was removed from the home and away it would be much better for it. I also would be fine with another jersey change. Doesn't need to be huge. I'd be fine with a full-time switch to the new stick and rink logo. I for one love the fact that you can look at any jersey from our past and know pretty well what era the jersey was from and who was on the team. I like the way that our jerseys have changed in correlation to our current roster/superstars. For me its a very cool way to catalog our history.

Cheers.

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
I think we all can agree that the colours are perfect as they are. The blue/green looks really nice, isn't really used around the league by any other team, and captures the ocean/forest/mountain landscape of BC. As for the logos....

I like the Orca, don't understand the hate for it. It references a local animal while referencing some heritage. We've finally built some legacy with the Orca. I grew up with the orca as the only logo, and would be disappointed to see it go. I understand a lot of people dislike the "Vancouver" which I'm pretty indifferent to. It can go. I don't care about small changes.

The stick-in-rink is really nice, but a bit too generic. The Orca is more unique. Like it as a third, or special occasions.

The Skate logo is ugly, nor do I like the colours. I think most people only like it due to nostalgia.

Johnny Canuck is a nice concept, but I don't think it's a significant improvement over the Orca. I like mock-ups I see, but I don't like the idea of changing the logo just for the sake of changing the logo. Maybe as a third jersey.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee take away the "Vancouver" on top of the Orca... Our jerseys would look 10x better and actually establish a brand.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Or you change it because it's ugly and hedious. I don't see the point of having an ugly logo that represent us. I would much rather have a meaningless good looking logo.

Your reasoning is quite hedious
Oh so very hedious
Cannot believe how hedious it is

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Your reasoning is quite hedious
Oh so very hedious
Cannot believe how hedious it is
That is a very good reason to change logo, because the orca whale logo is hedious. If they can fully transit to the stick n rink, that would be great too

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The Red Wings logo is based off of a bicycle wheel (not a car as I originally thought). A logo means what you want it to mean.

A Canuck isn't a "thing" like a Yankee isn't a "thing". What I can't figure out is what a Wild or a Capital is in this context.

The Wild bother me like this too.

"I'm a Vancouver Canuck."
"I'm a NY Ranger."
"I'm a Minnesota Wild."

Wat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad