The Prospects Thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I agree. It would be nice to remove the lens of "yeah but look at the godawful offense he was stuck in" from the discussion after all these years, though..

As a very young team next year it's on the Comets prospects to sink or swim. If the offense is again abysmal it's because our prospects couldn't contribute.

Personally I'm most excited to see the defense. Biega, Fedun, Pedan, Hutton, Subban and maybe McEneny have the potential to be a great AHL D. Hopefully one of Hutton or Subban steps forward and takes over Sangs role as the offensive catalyst.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
God, are we the only franchise whose AHL affiliate has been offensively terrible for what must be coming up on nearly a decade?

Every single forward prospect we've had in recent memory that ends up in a scoring role down there posts terrible numbers and we're left to wonder whether it's because the team is incapable of scoring goals (which it is) or because they are simply not excellent AHL players (which they often aren't).

Pretty much. It's incredibly depressing, isn't it? I'm hopeful that some of Gillis's later picks (Cassels, Gaunce, Shinkaruk) can take steps to help change that, but we'll see I guess. When Virtanen gets there in 2016-2017 it might be a different story.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty much. It's incredibly depressing, isn't it? I'm hopeful that some of Gillis's later picks (Cassels, Gaunce, Shinkaruk) can take steps to help change that, but we'll see I guess. When Virtanen gets there in 2016-2017 it might be a different story.

With the lack of center depth in Utica, I'm really hoping Cassels gets dropped into a top-6 role with lots of PP time and can run with it.

If that's their plan and that's why they haven't signed another center, I'm completely in agreement.

arsmaster*

Even Kassian went from a 26 in 30 rate at 20 years old in Buffalo to a 21 in 29 rate in "our" system.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
With the lack of center depth in Utica, I'm really hoping Cassels gets dropped into a top-6 role with lots of PP time and can run with it.

If that's their plan and that's why they haven't signed another center, I'm completely in agreement.

Seems to go against Benning's winning in the AHL is vital strategy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Their roster, as it stands now, won't be winning anything anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they lose 50 games with that blueline, especially if the Canucks have an injury or two and Fedun/Biega spend any time in the NHL.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
God, are we the only franchise whose AHL affiliate has been offensively terrible for what must be coming up on nearly a decade?

Every single forward prospect we've had in recent memory that ends up in a scoring role down there posts terrible numbers and we're left to wonder whether it's because the team is incapable of scoring goals (which it is) or because they are simply not excellent AHL players (which they often aren't).

Lmao so much this. And it'll likely be the case again this year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You are right, McEneny is kind of in the Tanev mold of D. He has some skill, but generally plays the passive defensive game. Hopefully it works at the pro level, but you never know until they play the games.

He kind of plays like Huskins. Plays the angle vs. the attacker, forces him wide, turns into him, and prevents further penetration as well as the pass. Stays in the guys space and a forward coming back picks up the puck or if they get to the corner he ends up getting possession and passes it behind the net or boosts up the boards.

No serious body hits so he can't be called "physical" yet in Huskins' case, he never gets beat 1 on 1. If McEneny can do that, he will be successful. Same could be said for most any D-man. Corrado is much the same. Funny both have been schooled in Utica by Huskins' play. Corrado for a good part of two seasons and McEneny for a short time in practice and the pressbox in Utica at the end of season 1. McEneny probably too short of a time to give Huskins any credit, but their styles are similar.

You don't have to be a big, hard, bone crushing, checker to be a good D-man. The Comets haven't had one yet, but even Pedan was playing 1 on 1s with the same aplomb and guess who he was paired with most often? Yup, Huskins. Now Pedan liked to throw the heavy hit, but learned to do such only when the opportunity was right for it. At first he was always trying for the big hit and often was beaten when he missed. Don't think Ken didn't influence that change in style.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What are people's quantitative expextations for Shinkaruk this year? I'd say a bare minimum of 20 goals and a 0.75PPG in the AHL is what he will have to do to make me think he has a shot at the NHL.

If the season goes as we expect and we sell at the deadline, I would hope Shinkaruk will be ready to step into Vrbata's spot to end the season.

If not, he starts to enter B word territory in my eyes.

That seems very doable. He had 7 in the first 5 months last season and 9 in the last 2. If he matches his last two months for the season, we see more like 30+ goals. Probably would satisfy even his toughest critics.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As a very young team next year it's on the Comets prospects to sink or swim. If the offense is again abysmal it's because our prospects couldn't contribute.

Personally I'm most excited to see the defense. Biega, Fedun, Pedan, Hutton, Subban and maybe McEneny have the potential to be a great AHL D. Hopefully one of Hutton or Subban steps forward and takes over Sangs role as the offensive catalyst.

It will take half the season, a healthy Pedan, no call-ups, and I think another Veteran D-man to go with Biega for these guys to reach the kind of heights you are hoping for and that would be amazing, Why? 3 of your hopefuls are rookies. One is coming off a second serious concussion and less than half of his first steady playing AHL season. Fedun looks like he has been steady, but he is no Sanguinetti or Huskins (both different styles and he's not similar to either of them).

Last season's defense was close to the AHL's best and paired a young player with a very good vet on all 3 pairs. Corrado and Pedan were two of those young guys. Corrado is gone and Pedan attains veteran status in the pairings amongst your 6. Fedun is the third vet and I don't think he's as good as Corrado.

They have work to do to match that unit, but I hope and will pull for them to do it. If they can't reach that level by the halfway point, it won't be a pretty picture in Cometsland.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

If you look at what's there at the moment, I think you can ****can that strategy unless he has some real surprises up his sleeve in the next few weeks. Right now they may be the youngest team in the AHL with the fewest number of veterans.

He may be running with the what's there to start and see if the kids can handle it and then bring in the cavalry if it's not working to give the kids some proven talent to work with. O'Reilly and Huskins arrived after season 1 got off to one of the worst in AHL history and then they had like the 2nd best record in the league over the second half of the season. Having a team of kids (10 rookies at the moment and 4 more in their 2nd year) perform in a cluster **** leading to a terrible season would not be good for any of their development and certainly not for the future of the Canucks. Pushing them all into roles they are not ready for wouldn't be bright. Some may be able to handle it and that's what you'd be hoping for, but for those who can't, they'd need to be put into situations where they belong at this stage so they can succeed. For some that would be the Zoo, for others a lowered status in the team's framework e.g 2nd line instead of first, 2nd PP unit, no PK for the time being, etc. That's where the changes would have to be made and that could only occur with the addition of 2 or 3 new players.

Too early to consider this as the way it will actually be. I'll wait until AHL camp breaks to do a serious assessment of how the season might play out.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
You think a first round pick who scored 29 points in the AHL last year and has been the definition of mediocrity is going to accomplish anything in the NHL?

I was quite impressed with Gaunce at times last season.

He was a key member on a very good checking line as a rookie pro.

If I based it entirely on stats, I might agree with your opinion (though I'd wait until any prospect is at least through their sophomore pro season before even considering the "bust" label).

But I still ask, are you sure you weren't watching a different CENTRE prospect during the Comets games you saw?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Avto had their first game of the season a couple of days ago and Tryamkin played 17:57. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come and he takes a step forward this season.

Also Anton Rodin is now the captain for Brynas.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
That, I did not expect. Still really curious if he'd be up for giving North America another shot.

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated. Nice to get away from the handwringing and speculation and get some actual facts flowing through here.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Avto had their first game of the season a couple of days ago and Tryamkin played 17:57. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come and he takes a step forward this season.

totally forgot about Tryamkin....
ELI5 what time do their games usually start in PST? i really suck at reading those...
nevermind..figured it out..looks like they r exactly 12hrs ahead...

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Interesting that The Hockey Writer's consensus had the Canucks 10th in team rankings.

Personally I see us a little higher....but of course I'm not biased.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What a difference camp will be this year with Virtanen, Cassels, McCann, Shinkaruk likely healthy.

Baertschi, Markstrom, Corrado graduating to NHL status.

Newcomers Pedan and Hutton.

Subban, McEneny, Jensen, Grenier and Gaunce gunning for upgraded status in the organization.

Best one i can remember. Too bad Demko and Boeser weren't going but a couple years of seasoning in college is just fine.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What a difference camp will be this year with Virtanen, Cassels, McCann, Shinkaruk likely healthy.

Subban, McEneny, Jensen, Grenier and Gaunce gunning for upgraded status in the organization.

Best one i can remember. Too bad Demko and Boeser weren't going but a couple years of seasoning in college is just fine.

Most excited I've been about rookie and main camp in a long time...
I remember ramping up a bit with Hodgson coming, but the injury put a wet blanket on that right quick... then AV sparking what he sparked...

But this one holds a lot of intrigue for me...
Baertschi, Virtanen, Markstrom headline my curiosity... followed by Vey and how he looks relative to last yr...
Horvat - can't wait to see if he brings his playoff confidence in on day 1...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Should be good. Hopefully Demko comes to the AHL next year, it should looks even better than this year's with most of the same high profile guys and another crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad