Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Sun, May 19 | vs TB | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Civale vs Manoah

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I agree, I thought it was the 2015 season where they were hovering around .500 all season until August and then after the trade deadline they got David Price and Tulowitzky and went deep into the playoffs, It's not over in May, It's not over until the fat lady sings.
It was.

They had great starts with Doc and Delgado into May then faded into oblivion.

They need to make a decision on Vlad and Bo sooner than later and then go from there.

If they want to re-tool, they have lots of interesting pieces they can move.

They can try Martinez, Horowitz and Barger on a regular basis, or they just decode the bullpen will be better than it has and the hitting will come.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Is he being told by Atkins to be patient? Was Atkins responsible for pulling Berrios in the playoffs? Or are all these decisions by Schneider? With these guys you just don't know. In any case, it's pure incompetence and poor judgment by this blundering management.

I think they're keeping Springer in the leadoff because if he's moved he'll sulk. He did it last year for two weeks, marginally improved, and then was moved back. Another day of batting .200 in the leadoff for him. So nice to not see Kirk out there. He's hitting .205 with a .582 OPS. And slow as molasses on the basepaths. Can we stop playing Vogelbach and his .105 BA in 29 AB? He offers nothing. Also Biggio and his .205 BA. Smooth looking stroke, producing little this season.

Davis and Clement should be playing every day even if they go into a minor slump. Bichette will be ok. Guerrero looking better except for his still swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. Varsho only hitting .227 but 2nd in the order shows how poor this offence is.

Varsho’s been in a little bit of a cold spell (babip’d) but his discipline has not faltered. He still walks a ton, granted he struck out 3 times today but that BB/K is closer to 1 over the same stretch.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
My biggest issue with Schneider is his reluctance to move on from something that isn't working. I understand being patient - you can't just react to every short slump and hot streak - but we're almost a quarter of the way through the season and the team is falling apart. Yet Springer gets the leadoff spot every day no matter what despite looking awful, Schneider is in and out of the lineup (and usually in the bottom third) despite looking better and better, Clement is still just a utility player despite outperforming all the other infielders to this point...

It's just dumb. You've reached a point in the season where you need to turn things around in a hurry or the season will be lost and you're going to be fired. How can you be comfortable just continuing to do things the exact same way and waiting for them to change? Moving Bo down was a start, but took way too long and it wasn't nearly enough. He needs to start giving playing time (and lineup spots) to the guys who have earned it and stop deferring to the guys who earned it in previous years.
I would also add Jansen batting 6th or 7th. He's easily been their best hitter and overall he's an excellent hitter. He should be in the top 4 when he's playing. I would be tempted to have him DH as well when Kirk is catching.

Schneider's bullpen management this year hasn't been good as well.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Is he being told by Atkins to be patient? Was Atkins responsible for pulling Berrios in the playoffs? Or are all these decisions by Schneider? With these guys you just don't know. In any case, it's pure incompetence and poor judgment by this blundering management.

I think they're keeping Springer in the leadoff because if he's moved he'll sulk. He did it last year for two weeks, marginally improved, and then was moved back. Another day of batting .200 in the leadoff for him. So nice to not see Kirk out there. He's hitting .205 with a .582 OPS. And slow as molasses on the basepaths. Can we stop playing Vogelbach and his .105 BA in 29 AB? He offers nothing. Also Biggio and his .205 BA. Smooth looking stroke, producing little this season.

Davis and Clement should be playing every day even if they go into a minor slump. Bichette will be ok. Guerrero looking better except for his still swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. Varsho only hitting .227 but 2nd in the order shows how poor this offence is.
I've pointed this out a number of times, but when Montoyo was in charge, everyone said he was just a puppet for the front office to make all the decisions. Then he got fired and a new guy came in and dealt with lineup construction and bullpen usage in entirely different ways, and... people call him a puppet for the front office to make all the decisions. It's dumb and it makes no sense.

I don't think there's any reason to think Springer would sulk if he was moved out of the leadoff spot. They did it for a month last year and it went fine.

Kirk and Biggio are decent examples of how playing time should be awarded.
- Kirk struggled with the bat, so he stopped getting so much playing time once Jansen came back. He also has a 105 wRC+ since Jansen came back, so I think we'll start seeing him in there a bit more (though it's possible he just can't handle full-time catching duties and will be at his best as a part time catcher/part-time DH).
- In the first 17 games, Biggio had a 140 wRC+ and was in almost every game, averaging 3 PA/game. In the last 20 games, he has a 24 wRC+ and is average 2 PA/game. He's struggled, and he's found himself on the bench. That's what should happen. No one is ever going to get zero playing time - that would be dumb - but it should go up and down based on performance.

The problem is that those standards we see applied to a guy like Biggio don't seem to apply to everyone - certainly not Springer or Bichette or Clement.

I would also add Jansen batting 6th or 7th. He's easily been their best hitter and overall he's an excellent hitter. He should be in the top 4 when he's playing. I would be tempted to have him DH as well when Kirk is catching.

Schneider's bullpen management this year hasn't been good as well.
I give him a bit more leeway on the bullpen because it seems like even when he makes the "right" move, it goes wrong. The bullpen has been a shitshow so far with guys injured/banged up and underperforming.

Reactions: Eyedea

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Pop is a good example of why it doesn’t hurt to rotate relief from the minors. At some point in the very near future you have to make a decision on what to do with current relievers.

4/8 relievers have an ERA over 5, and in Romano’s case he might as well be over 5 as well.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Pop is a good example of why it doesn’t hurt to rotate relief from the minors. At some point in the very near future you have to make a decision on what to do with current relievers.

4/8 relievers have an ERA over 5, and in Romano’s case he might as well be over 5 as well.

IMO the relievers will get it turned around. The track record says so. Relief pitching is also very volatile, I get it, but going into the season we felt comfortable with the bullpen. Suddenly Swanson, Mayza, and others forgot how to pitch?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
IMO the relievers will get it turned around. The track record says so. Relief pitching is also very volatile, I get it, but going into the season we felt comfortable with the bullpen. Suddenly Swanson, Mayza, and others forgot how to pitch?

Well yeah it happens fairly often because relief pitching is so volatile.

Like best case scenario you get a dependable arm like Cecil pitch 5 great years in the pen, and then they crap out and retire.

You probably expect Romano to get his act together but even he’s been showing signs since last year with his fastball becoming less and less dominant.

Is Swanson tipping his pitches? Who knows but again, he was pitching differently last year and became less reliant on his fastball which impacts the strength of his offspeed. A splitter is useless if batters know it’s coming. He has as many strikeouts (4) as he has HRs given up.

Mayza seems to alternate between good and mediocre years. We’re basically seeing what Cabrera was with the Cards from 2022-2023. Pearson doesn’t get nearly enough chase.

Our best active relievers are Yimi (who can’t even pitch) and Richards.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Well yeah it happens fairly often because relief pitching is so volatile.
Bob McCown was famous for always repeating the fact that you should never give long term contracts to relievers, no more than 3 years, because you never know when they will lose it, and joked that a team can assemble a bullpen from guys walking down the street, because you can sign some unknowns or reclamation projects and have short term success with them.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Did the stadium play the godzilla theme for Kikuchi? That's awesome.

It's also hilarious how much Rogers/the Jays play up Romano's entrance when his music is generic edm junk.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Safe to say we came out ahead on that Berrios trade. I know Woods-Richardson is supposed to be doing well this year, but Martin was the centerpiece as a high-end prospect and he looks thoroughly meh the last couple years while also showing that he's maybe being funneled into being just a corner OF.

Reactions: Forgotusername

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Vladdy has quietly stopped sucking the past couple weeks, eh?

Not much home run power still, but at least he's hitting.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Of course two years ago we all knew this was going to happen..

1715387938054.png

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
yeah 2 years ago we would cheer if he made it 5 innings an didnt give up more than 3 runs.

he's pitching for a nice contract from someone.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Sadly Kikuchi goes 8 innings but will lose because of no run support.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sadly Kikuchi goes 8 innings but will lose because of no run support.

It's the regular reminder that wins and losses are a dumb way to evaluate pitchers and the fact that people used to argue Cy Young voting based on records is embarrassing.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
For an “analytics” guy, Schneider seems to make the dumbest decisions that are completely opposite of that…..”Kepler is 7 for 18 against lefties this season”….so Schneider pulls Pearson, A righty, and puts Cabrera, a lefty in. Make it make sense please!

Reactions: shaner8989

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad