The Prospects Thread XXV - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
longshot but not impossible.

If Kassian doesn't figure it out, he doesn't have much of a career.

Yeah, it's not all about points. Some guys can make a long NHL career by being physical.

Stewart can become that 4th line 10-points energy guy if he can keep up his game.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Even if you think his upside is 30 goal seasons, the likelihood of being a long-time productive player in the NHL is even more rare. Kesler had a 40 goal season and I'd bet against him ever getting to 400.

There's basically no chance he'll get to 400 given that he's at 202 at age 31. He might even have trouble getting to 300 if his goal scoring falls off like it does for most players in their 30s.

But yeah, to be a 350-400 goal scorer you really need have a ridiculously long career, be a consistent 35 goal guy at your peak for several years, or be a Kane or Toews guy who can put up 25 goals for probably 15 years straight. Neither of those are remotely realistic projections for a guy who was picked 23rd 10 days ago. Maybe Boeser can be that once in a decade late 1st rounder but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Even if you think his upside is 30 goal seasons, the likelihood of being a long-time productive player in the NHL is even more rare. Kesler had a 40 goal season and I'd bet against him ever getting to 400.

Boeser is a much better scorer than Kesler at the same age.

And Kesler plays a game that makes him injury prone.

I`ll be disappointed if Boeser doesn`t hit at least 300 goals in his career.

Considering D. Sedin has 327, and his goal scoring pace has dropped significantly.

It`will be close either way.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Considering D. Sedin has 327, and his goal scoring pace has dropped significantly.

I like Boeser a lot but 300 goals in the current NHL is a tough ask. You're basically asking for 15 seasons at 20 goals per. With injuries, rookie growth curve, and down years there are only a handful of players that will hit those career numbers at the current NHL scoring levels.

20 goals is a top 6 forward
25 is borderline first line
30 is a first liner/ all/star
35+ is a star

I think Boeser's upside is a Joffery Lupul type career, hopefully minus the injuries. Hit 30 goals once or twice, finish above 20 most seasons in his prime. That's a win for a top 10 pick let alone #23.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

So far Benning's first round picks all have the potential to be 30 goal guys. Virtanen, McCann and Boeser all have hard, accurate shots.

Benning's mantra:
1) Rip the puck
or
2) Physical

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just as a frame of reference in the history of the NHL 184 players have scored over 300 goals.

If you are going to be disappointed if Boeser doesn't score 300 goals in his career prepare to be disappointed because that would be on hell of a career.

What is it...something like 6000 players to ever play in the NHL? So 300 goals is basically a top 3-5% goal scorer in the history of the league.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Just as a frame of reference in the history of the NHL 184 players have scored over 300 goals.

If you are going to be disappointed if Boeser doesn't score 300 goals in his career prepare to be disappointed because that would be on hell of a career.

What is it...something like 6000 players to ever play in the NHL? So 300 goals is basically a top 3-5% goal scorer in the history of the league.

I expect a hell of a career.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

I really doubt that 'it will be close either way'...

You're expecting Boeser to be a top-5 scorer in terms of the Canucks draft history.
That's an insane expectation on a late 1st round pick.

Players in this draft that you could expect 300 goal careers from: McDavid, Eichel, maybe Marner. That's about it.

From 2000-2010, there are 2-3 players in each draft that are set to reach that marker (and mostly from top 5 picks).

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I really doubt that 'it will be close either way'...

You're expecting Boeser to be a top-5 scorer in terms of the Canucks draft history.
That's an insane expectation on a late 1st round pick.

Players in this draft that you could expect 300 goal careers from: McDavid, Eichel, maybe Marner. That's about it.

From 2000-2010, there are 2-3 players in each draft that are set to reach that marker (and mostly from top 5 picks).

Too bad it will take too long, would I like to come back to this thread when he hits 300.

If he doesn't I come back and eat crow.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Too bad it will take too long, would I like to come back to this thread when he hits 300.

If he doesn't I come back and eat crow.

I don't think anyone is taking issue with the suggestion that he *could* reach that lofty total - odds are against it but hey, some picks will do it - so much as the notion that anyone would be *disappointed* if he didn't reach it.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't think anyone is taking issue with the suggestion that he *could* reach that lofty total - odds are against it but hey, some picks will do it - so much as the notion that anyone would be *disappointed* if he didn't reach it.

It depends on much you see out of each prospect.

I have loftier goals for Boeser because I see the talent and ability.

Rather than only looking at draft position, (which is trivial to actual performance), I look at skillset and ability.

Most of the counter arguments center around "well it hasn't happened much", or "but he's a late 1st".

Boeser has an elite release and shot. More importantly his hockey sense to get open is very good.

Radim Vrbata has almost 250 goals and spent time in Europe. 7th rounder.

I see Boeser with as much scoring ability but a bigger frame and more willingness to play in traffic.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
So far Benning's first round picks all have the potential to be 30 goal guys. Virtanen, McCann and Boeser all have hard, accurate shots.

Benning's mantra:
1) Rip the puck
or
2) Physical

"Rip the puck" should be the new "meat and potatoes." JB even used the term "rip the puck" when I spoke with him yesterday.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It depends on much you see out of each prospect.

I have loftier goals for Boeser because I see the talent and ability.

Rather than only looking at draft position, (which is trivial to actual performance), I look at skillset and ability.

Most of the counter arguments center around "well it hasn't happened much", or "but he's a late 1st".

Boeser has an elite release and shot. More importantly his hockey sense to get open is very good.

Radim Vrbata has almost 250 goals and spent time in Europe. 7th rounder.

I see Boeser with as much scoring ability but a bigger frame and more willingness to play in traffic.

Again, it's great that you think Boeser can reach such lofty heights. But I don't agree that anyone should be "disappointed" if he doesn't reach that total. Besides it's an odd type of standard to set - 300 career goals - as it glosses over so many other parts of the game beyond just goals.

But in the end they are your expectations so I guess there's no point in trying to change them. I like Boeser a lot myself but I'm more interested to follow him for the next couple of years before setting such specific expectations.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If Boeser tops 300 goals in his career with the Canucks he will have his jersey retired by the team.

arsmaster*

Patrick Sharp is gonna finish his career with 300+ goals. I don't think it's an outrageous projection but it's an outrageous expectation.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Oh man...
That is not something too many folks here ever want to see/read.

Don't confuse the hate with the pick for hate with the player. I doubt anyone here is actively cheering against any of our prospects. It is more about the thought process for the draft choice and subsequent signing: draft a low producing, yet athletic kid, and try to mold him into a player. It's not a strategy with many proven results for the NHL. Nobody is cheering for him to fail just to prove a point. I'm sure everyone would love to be wrong about Stewart.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Ppl are just stupid.

Its a 7th round pick that can be lottery for all u know.

The kid started at 12 yrs old. The skills can catch up.

Think of it this way zack kassian didnt devlop between 19-24

Mackenzie stewart didnt play between 7-12

Lets see who has the better career

Many who trashed Benning for using a 7th pick on Stewart have already assured us he will be an ECHL player at best. Hearing nothing but positives about this kid, could be a classic late bloomer. I can see him making the AHL this year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Many who trashed Benning for using a 7th pick on Stewart have already assured us he will be an ECHL player at best. Hearing nothing but positives about this kid, could be a classic late bloomer. I can see him making the AHL this year.

Call me when he is better than replacement level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad