Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I would think Brisebois is almost a sure thing as a regular shift AHL d-man. He's exactly the kind of CHL d-man that we see do that for other teams most years.

He's a cut above all the other prospect D we've had in Utica, except maybe Subban, but he's far better defensively than Subban. Which should gain him Green's trust a little quicker to take a regular shift.

*** Just to clarify when I said prospect D, I meant just the 20-21 year olds, not Stecher obviously or guys like Pedan who was a young ahl vet when he got there.

So who exactly would you be listing in those 20-21 yr-olds the Comets have had?

Corrado, Subban, and Sautner are it for 4 years.

Corrado played and played well. Big part of the 2014-15 playoff run.

Subban has been good and Brisebois will not be better offensively. Defensively I hope he is better. Can't possibly have Subban, Sautner and Brisebois all in the lineup if he isn't the best defender in the trio.

Sautner has never panned out. His second season has not been good and won't be surprised if his 3rd starts in Alaska.

So we have Subban in town, if not traded before then. Brisebois would be the only 20-21 player in town unless Benning insists on signing more guys like Olson and Neill and forcing them onto the roster like he did with Stewart. Don't see why Brisebois can't make the team if his talent is where you say it is, but he will have to prove it to step right into the top 6 unless Benning signs nobody who could be considered better than a rookie. Otherwise he plays only if he is one of the top 6. I have no problem with that.

Last edited:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
So who exactly would you be listing in those 20-21 yr-olds the Comets have had?

Corrado, Subban, and Sautner are it for 4 years.

Corrado played and played well. Big part of the 2014-15 playoff run.

Subban has been good and Brisebois will not be better offensively. Defensively I hope he is better. Can't possibly have Subban, Sautner and Brisebois all in the lineup if he isn't the best defender in the trio.

Sautner has never panned out. His second season has not been good and won't be surprised if his 3rd starts in Alaska.

So we have Subban in town, if not traded before then. Brisebois would be the only 20-21 player in town unless Benning insists on signing more guys like Olson and Neill and forcing them onto the roster like he did with Stewart. Don't see why Brisebois can't make the team if his talent is where you say it is, but he will have to prove it to step right into the top 6 unless Benning signs nobody who could be considered better than a rookie. Otherwise he plays only if he is one of the top 6. I have no problem with that.

All the 20-21 year olds who were under contract to Vancouver, that ended up in the echl, were all guys the Comets 'had'. They just didn't want them. Stewart and Cederholm come immediately to mind.

Then there's the guys who were in and out of the lineup which actually does include Subban I think. Sautner for sure. Mceneny too. It's good to see the progress Mceneny has made, but he's had his ups and downs right. Mceneny was a good junior but he never was even a remote chance of being invited to a wjc camp. Brisebois is simply way ahead of where those guys were coming out of jr.

My only point with a Subban comparison, is that Brisebois is (should be) far better defensively right off the bat. That's really important if you want to get playing time right away coming out of junior. Funny I forgot Corrado, because Brisebois should be close to the level Corrado was coming out of junior, and he played right away. For some reason it feels like Corrado's been gone longer than we've had our farm tm. in Utica.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
All the 20-21 year olds who were under contract to Vancouver, that ended up in the echl, were all guys the Comets 'had'. They just didn't want them. Stewart and Cederholm come immediately to mind.

Then there's the guys who were in and out of the lineup which actually does include Subban I think. Sautner for sure. Mceneny too. It's good to see the progress Mceneny has made, but he's had his ups and downs right. Mceneny was a good junior but he never was even a remote chance of being invited to a wjc camp. Brisebois is simply way ahead of where those guys were coming out of jr.

My only point with a Subban comparison, is that Brisebois is (should be) far better defensively right off the bat. That's really important if you want to get playing time right away coming out of junior. Funny I forgot Corrado, because Brisebois should be close to the level Corrado was coming out of junior, and he played right away. For some reason it feels like Corrado's been gone longer than we've had our farm tm. in Utica.

Corrado had already played 9 games in the AHL with the Wolves and 7 in the NHL by the time he arrived in Utica as a 20 yo rookie pro, so he did kind of predate the Comets in a way.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
At this point, you can't label Gaudette a 3C, 2C, or 1C. You just have to let him to continue to develop because he is improving on a week-to-week basis. He's proven he can be dominant at the NCAA level, it will be interesting to see if he can carry over his development curve to AHL/NHL next season. If he has the same mental aptitude of Bo Horvat, he's going to be a good player.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
At this point, you can't label Gaudette a 3C, 2C, or 1C. You just have to let him to continue to develop because he is improving on a week-to-week basis. He's proven he can be dominant at the NCAA level, it will be interesting to see if he can carry over his development curve to AHL/NHL next season. If he has the same mental aptitude of Bo Horvat, he's going to be a good player.

Anyone watch him and can offer a stylistic NHL comparison?

Like does he look like a Tyler Bozak type?

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone watch him and can offer a stylistic NHL comparison?

Like does he look like a Tyler Bozak type?

My analysis from October:

I am a bit taken back with how impressed I was watching that footage. I watched highlights and shift by shift videos of him last season; he has really grown as a player. What I like:

- very strong first few steps
- extremely opportunistic
- good shot
- very high hockey IQ - his positioning and vision are very good
- he creates chances every single shift....like....every single shift he is on the ice
- tough to play against
- has a nose for the net
- he has a good ability to separate the puck from opposing players to give himself chances you did not think were there

I honestly think we have an NHL player here. He reminds me of Burrows a little bit in that he is the type of player that, with his style of play, you can put him up and down your lineup. I think he has the potential to be a 2C - honestly. With all this praise, he needs to put on about 20lbs of muscle before we can really take him seriously as a pro.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Tryamkin in the 3rd round was a STEAL. Demko in the 2nd round was a STEAL. Demko would go first round in a re-draft.

Gaudette seems like a steal in the 5th round, Zhukenov is turning into a solid two way player from the 4th round.

Really liking the Stukel, Lockwood and McKenzie selections too in the late round.

Hopefully our draft this year can be just as "deep"

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Not sure you can call anyone a steal until they've done something in the NHL.

Wouldn't even call Tryamkin a steal yet, but he appears to be a good third round selection.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Tryamkin in the 3rd round was a STEAL. Demko in the 2nd round was a STEAL. Demko would go first round in a re-draft.

Gaudette seems like a steal in the 5th round, Zhukenov is turning into a solid two way player from the 4th round.

Really liking the Stukel, Lockwood and McKenzie selections too in the late round.

My thoughts:
Tryamkin is looking like a great pick.
Gaudette is looking like a good pick but its still very early.'
Demko is looking like a decent pick. His development I think has been right around or slightly better than what is expected of a player being picked in the 30s.
Lockwood is looking like a good pick.
McKenzie is looking like an average pick.
Stukel is looking like a poor pick.
Zhukenov is looking like a poor pick.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
My thoughts:
Demko is looking like a decent pick. His development I think has been right around or slightly better than what is expected of a player being picked in the 30s.

Add Brisebois. He's a good pick. I like his game a lot

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Tryamkin was truly a steal. Everyone else is a prospect and nothing more.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
My thoughts:

Agree with this assessment. Much better than saying "steal" or "bust"

A few are tracking nicely, a few aren't.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Tryamkin is playing like a top4 dman.

Tryamkin is playing very well. He looks like a good choice in the 3rd round.

He's the only one on that list that I'd consider close to a "steal."

But, again, he's a 3rd round pick, not a late round pick—it's not like success rates in the 3rd are so low that a guy who looks like he'll stick in the league through all of 53 games is a "steal."

But I guess that's just the bar that's been set with this organization's draft history the last decade or so...

I'll remain cautiously optimistic about Tryamkin.

Calling the rest steals is premature until they have any success in the NHL.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
But, again, he's a 3rd round pick, not a late round pick—it's not like success rates in the 3rd are so low that a guy who looks like he'll stick in the league through all of 53 games is a "steal."

Roughly 30% of 3rd round picks play any meaningful games whatsoever at the NHL level. I don't know if "steal" is the right term to apply yet, but given his current progression he's certainly tracking in that direction. It's no more disingenuous to say "Tryamkin is currently projecting to be a steal as a 3rd round pick" than it is to say "Virtanen is currently projecting to be a bust at 6th overall". There's nothing wrong with guarded projections. They can always be revisited if a player's trajectory changes.

If any players picked after the first round play 100+ NHL games, they're already "above average" as far as picks go. It's the first round where 80% of players go on to have NHL careers. Past that it's a coin flip at best, and degrades rapidly from there.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Here's one redraft i found...

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/redraft/2014/

What's interesting is Benning picked 4 of those players in that redraft BUT 2 of them are no longer in our system and his top pick (Virtanen) isn't on the list... :laugh:

Considering Benning actually had 2 1st round picks in the draft, it wasn't actually that good of a draft because of the other moves he made (his actual picks were pretty good but his trades/asset management reduced the value of good picks as in he gave them away... :laugh:).

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Roughly 30% of 3rd round picks play any meaningful games whatsoever at the NHL level. I don't know if "steal" is the right term to apply yet, but given his current progression he's certainly tracking in that direction. It's no more disingenuous to say "Tryamkin is currently projecting to be a steal as a 3rd round pick" than it is to say "Virtanen is currently projecting to be a bust at 6th overall". There's nothing wrong with guarded projections. They can always be revisited if a player's trajectory changes.

If any players picked after the first round play 100+ NHL games, they're already "above average" as far as picks go. It's the first round where 80% of players go on to have NHL careers. Past that it's a coin flip at best, and degrades rapidly from there.

Sure. I guess it depends on your definition of "steal."

A "steal" from the 3rd to me isn't just someone who manages to be a regular NHLer who plays 100+ games.

To me that's a just a good pick.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sure. I guess it depends on your definition of "steal."

A "steal" from the 3rd to me isn't just someone who manages to be a regular NHLer who plays 100+ games.

To me that's a just a good pick.

I'd agree with this. It's not what % of players from the 3rd round make it, it is how does that player compare to what you can get from an early 3rd (66th). You can get a 3rd pairing D, but probably not a good one.

I like the way Tryamkin is progressing, but he needs to progress more to because a proper steal. He has potential to be a big steal.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
I'd agree with this. It's not what % of players from the 3rd round make it, it is how does that player compare to what you can get from an early 3rd (66th). You can get a 3rd pairing D, but probably not a good one.

I like the way Tryamkin is progressing, but he needs to progress more to because a proper steal. He has potential to be a big steal.

well i would consider him a steal just by looking at our drafting history :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad