Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Point where I actually got really worried about Virtanen was this dumb hit that he got suspended for:

Kassian-like idiocy. Out on an island by himself having no idea what to do.

That one was disturbing, and illuminating. He just looks lost.

That was always the problem with his play in the NHL. He never looked like he knew what to do. He had no conviction. Compared to a guy like Hansen or Burrows, who are always buzzing around looking to create an opportunity, Virtanen would sort of float around and look confused.

Another comparison...when Stecher stepped in, he wanted it. He looked determined and wasn't going to let anyone take the opportunity away from him. He was confident.

Anyone that thinks that being thrown into the NHL before you're ready isn't the worst thing you can do to completely destroy a prospect's career is out of their mind. We see it happen all the time, and yet there are still the same ones that throw a fit because their shiny new toy isn't playing in the show. Jake was barely a PPG in his draft +1 yr. In no way shape or form did he dominate the WHL.

This failure is yet another feather in the cap of the dynamic duo, Trev and Jim. They should be shot out of a cannon for this alone, never mind the other atrocities they've committed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Tate Olson sitting at 20 points in 51 games. I have PG season tickets and not much to write home about him at this point.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Tate Olson sitting at 20 points in 51 games. I have PG season tickets and not much to write home about him at this point.
His point totals from last season to this will be down 50% by seasons end...

Last season he was easily the highest producing d-man in PG; yet, this season his PPG is almost the same as a lot of the guys he was (statistically) much better than last year.

That's kind of rare to see that happen...

What do you attribute that to?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yeah too bad about Olson really thought he could do it

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to wonder if the canucks aren't just being absurdly cheap not purchasing the contracts of valk, robak, Archibald, etc.

Yes my thoughts exactly....but in my wildest dreams/nightmares maybe Jimbo is keeping contract slots open because he's going to be very active at the trade deadline.:scared:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Have to wonder if the canucks aren't just being absurdly cheap not purchasing the contracts of valk, robak, Archibald, etc.

Why sign players you do not need? The minute there is a use offer them contract they will sign. Maybe I am wrong but are the not all UFA's who any of the 30 teams in the nhl can sign at anytime and choose not to? Are all 30 teams being absurdly cheap? There is not a lot of risk. Wasn't Archibald and Valk in the ECHL for a time last year and Robak had trouble getting Ahl contract this year. They have very few options. Younger worst players are more sought after because there is a higher chance of rapid progress. Remember mike z last year could not get a contract played with Utica contract until he looked good and Canucks signed him and he played a few games in Vancouver. There are dozens of these players in Ahl, Europe and even the ECHL. They are not a commodity worthy of nhl contracts.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why sign players you do not need? The minute there is a use offer them contract they will sign. Maybe I am wrong but are the not all UFA's who any of the 30 teams in the nhl can sign at anytime and choose not to? Are all 30 teams being absurdly cheap? There is not a lot of risk. Wasn't Archibald and Valk in the ECHL for a time last year and Robak had trouble getting Ahl contract this year. They have very few options. Younger worst players are more sought after because there is a higher chance of rapid progress. Remember mike z last year could not get a contract played with Utica contract until he looked good and Canucks signed him and he played a few games in Vancouver. There are dozens of these players in Ahl, Europe and even the ECHL. They are not a commodity worthy of nhl contracts.

Robak should have been the first callup and potentially seeing NHL games this year. He's by far the best defender option in the AHL for us and not having him signed is absurd, especially for a team that is trying to 'contend'.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Robak should have been the first callup and potentially seeing NHL games this year. He's by far the best defender option in the AHL for us and not having him signed is absurd, especially for a team that is trying to 'contend'.

It may be true I like Biega and he is number 9 on the depth list I believe. Perhaps Robak should be sitting in the stands instead of Pedan or Subban. However fact remains he could not get Ahl contract at start of year and any team in NHL could still sign him, I do not know every teams situation but is Canucks d situation worse than the other 29 teams. Is our d situation so bad that he could not get an Ahl contract from any other team but the Canucks should give him a nhl contract? If we start playing Subban or Pedan in place of Robak maybe it would be a legit concern. Robak numbers are better this year than other years so maybe he has taken a be step forward and no one else has noticed? That happens time to time. I have no problem signing him or not but it obviously is not the easy decision that is stated here or other Nhl teams would have signed him.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Teams don't poach other team's ahl players. I guess it could technically happen but it's a faux pas and I can't think of any examples where it's happened.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
His point totals from last season to this will be down 50% by seasons end...

Last season he was easily the highest producing d-man in PG; yet, this season his PPG is almost the same as a lot of the guys he was (statistically) much better than last year.

That's kind of rare to see that happen...

What do you attribute that to?

Olson not being the defensemen on the first PP unit. Not being the go-to-guy for minutes. Cougars are a much deeper team than last season, especially with the addition of Brendan Guhle, who essentially makes Olson redundant. Guhle gets the top PP minutes and top pairing minutes now. Only time Olson sees those minutes is injuries, which is happening right now. He's simply a depth, fill'er on this team right now.

Anderson, Guhle, Ruopp are far better and reliable in every situation. Lakusta, Schoettler and Collins bring just as much, if not more than Olson at this point. Should be mentioned that Lakusta/Schoettler are younger than Olson too.

In short, a reduction of important minutes from last year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes my thoughts exactly....but in my wildest dreams/nightmares maybe Jimbo is keeping contract slots open because he's going to be very active at the trade deadline.:scared:

Or sign a bunch of NCAA guys at the end of their seasons as he has had luck there lately.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Teams don't poach other team's ahl players. I guess it could technically happen but it's a faux pas and I can't think of any examples where it's happened.

This is an unwritten rule. If they did this, it would be a constant game of cutthroat Russian roulette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad