Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It makes 0 sense he would let unknown employees have a bigger say at the draft than him, especially on his first draft.

It makes 0 sense he would let the scouting team actually do their job?

You're reaching.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It makes 0 sense he would let the scouting team actually do their job?

You're reaching.

Lol their job is to scout their job is not to make the picks. They give their opinions/reports to Benning he decides what to do. Really simple concept it is how pretty much every management structure works in the world. They have a say by the information they give but Benning makes the final decision. I guess the pro scouts are to blame for all the trades and UFA signings. Gilman is to blame for Dorsett's contract. What does Benning do with his time as he does not seem to have any decisions to make? He just does whatever those below him want to do. Under such a structure how do the owner meddle? Jim has no power so how would the owner influence the direction of the team. I think it is more likely that Jim ok's every major decision done by anyone including draft picks.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Lol their job is to scout their job is not to make the picks. They give their opinions/reports to Benning he decides what to do. Really simple concept it is how pretty much every management structure works in the world. They have a say by the information they give but Benning makes the final decision. I guess the pro scouts are to blame for all the trades and UFA signings. Gilman is to blame for Dorsett's contract. What does Benning do with his time as he does not seem to have any decisions to make? He just does whatever those below him want to do. Under such a structure how do the owner meddle? Jim has no power so how would the owner influence the direction of the team. I think it is more likely that Jim ok's every major decision done by anyone including draft picks.

Do you really think a GM has the time to scout players from each round of the draft? That's what a scouting list is for. A majority of GM's aren't amateur scouts, which is why they have a scouting staff.

As it's been said, I have no doubt he had input on a few picks but to act like he came in and vetoed the scouting list is non-sense.

Sounds more believable than coldsteels "Bostons drafting sucked because they weren't focused on it but within a month of coming here he re-wrote the entire drafting list but didn't want to throw the staff under the bus so he played humble in an interview"

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Do you really think a GM has the time to scout players from each round of the draft? That's what a scouting list is for. A majority of GM's aren't amateur scouts, which is why they have a scouting staff.

As it's been said, I have no doubt he had input on a few picks but to act like he came in and vetoed the scouting list is non-sense.

Sounds more believable than coldsteels "Bostons drafting sucked because they weren't focused on it but within a month of coming here he re-wrote the entire drafting list but didn't want to throw the staff under the bus so he played humble in an interview"

Where did I say he rewrote the entire draft list?? I also didn't say bostons drafting sucked because they weren't focusing on it. Quite grasping, get back in your circle jerk of hate with ms and y2k.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
May 31, 2006
As I recall, this was the first signing by Linden after the new regime took over...why??...guy never got above the ECHL...almost as bad a contract as Stewart.

Yeah, it was a puzzling move by Gilman (assuming he was the one in charge). Did not deserve a contract at all.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
I watched Cederholm play vs the Royals a few times and my biggest problem was he couldnt even handle or distribute the puck at a WHL level let alone pro level.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I watched Cederholm play vs the Royals a few times and my biggest problem was he couldnt even handle or distribute the puck at a WHL level let alone pro level.

I remember this being raised when he signed, and a heap of people claiming that it didn't matter because he was a defensive defensemen, which was obviously absurd.

Also, another guy they signed a year early for some unknown reason.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

This is why you don't draft sluggish "tough" dmen at WHL level unless they have high-end skills or IQ.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
For those expecting to see Demko and Juolevi in the NHL right away here a re some quotes from the powers that be.

On Ollie:
"I feel he can be a top-pairing defenseman," Benning said. "He's so smart and he plays with poise and he reads the play so well that I just feel we have to be patient with him and develop him properly, but I feel he's a blue-chip prospect."

On Thatcher:
"Everybody gets excited and obviously we do too," Canucks goaltending coach Dan Cloutier said. "He's a big goaltender that competes and battles, but at the same time it takes goalies time to take it to next level and Thatcher is no different."

Of course these are Vancouver management quotations and we all know how far you can trust their statements about anything, however, they are stating point blank that these guys need to be developed properly. In other franchises that would mean minor league seasoning until they prove they are ready to move on. We have seen what that means to the Benning and Co. so far. A top prospect and 19 and you are a Canuck. I hope they go with the first method here. These are two guys you don't want to mismanage just to put some extras fans in the seats.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
To add to my last post, NHL.com has listed the 5 top Vancouver prospects and their projected entry into the NHL:

Boeser 17-18
Demko 18-19
Juolevi 17-18
Tryamkin 16-17
Rodin 16-17

So Boeser and Juolevi go straight to the NHL. Boeser will 20 and Juolevi 19. Demko comes along one year later after 2 seasons in the AHL and he'll be 21.

They make no mention of Stecher. He's curretnly 22 and would be 23 in 17-18.

Let's look at the rest of the pro eligible players for 2017-18:

Brisebois 20
Zhukenov 20
Olson 20
Jasek 20
Gaudette 21 (he's actually eligible this season)
Abols 21 (he's also eligible this season)
Stukel 20
Mckenzie 20

First putting Juolevi on the roster at 19 doesn't jive with Bennings quote in the previous post. It sure does put youth into the lineup next season:

Horvat 22
Boeser 20
Juolevi 19
Virtanen 21
Baertschi 25
? Stecher 23
Gaunce 23 (That's if he makes it and if he does, he'd have to be on that roster.)
Subban 22 (He's another people want to see and it would be yr 3 of his ELC.)

Cassels 22 (He will be entering the 3rd year of his ELC as well.)

A year later you add Demko at 22.

In 17-18 the other 8 enter the picture and none will be in Vancouver, which should stock the Comets with prospects for the first time. Problem is that most of them are late picks and are extreme long shots to make it to the Canucks. Kind of like the ones that have been in Utica for the past 3 seasons. If some of those top guys are sent to Utica, and I think some will, the farm will be full for the first time. Still won't be a very solid prospect pool in the minors, but it will have available call-ups, but the Canucks will be lots younger. They will be looking like a Florida team of the past couple seasons before last.

Don't forget that Benning may get another early #1 to put in the the 17-18 lineup right away as well.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
For those expecting to see Demko and Juolevi in the NHL right away here a re some quotes from the powers that be.

On Ollie:
"I feel he can be a top-pairing defenseman," Benning said. "He's so smart and he plays with poise and he reads the play so well that I just feel we have to be patient with him and develop him properly, but I feel he's a blue-chip prospect."

On Thatcher:
"Everybody gets excited and obviously we do too," Canucks goaltending coach Dan Cloutier said. "He's a big goaltender that competes and battles, but at the same time it takes goalies time to take it to next level and Thatcher is no different."

Of course these are Vancouver management quotations and we all know how far you can trust their statements about anything, however, they are stating point blank that these guys need to be developed properly. In other franchises that would mean minor league seasoning until they prove they are ready to move on. We have seen what that means to the Benning and Co. so far. A top prospect and 19 and you are a Canuck. I hope they go with the first method here. These are two guys you don't want to mismanage just to put some extras fans in the seats.

I'm unsure of who you're preaching to, BG. The operative word is "expecting" - there isn't anyone on this board expecting (or, for that matter, even wanting) Demko and Juolevi to make the NHL right away. I think it's safe to say that we're almost in complete unanimity when it comes to the idea of letting Juolevi play at least another year for the London Knights.

Even if we wanted Demko up here immediately, he's guaranteed to start off in the AHL by virtue of Ryan Miller's remaining contract year in Vancouver. And in reality, that's perfect.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm unsure of who you're preaching to, BG. The operative word is "expecting" - there isn't anyone on this board expecting (or, for that matter, even wanting) Demko and Juolevi to make the NHL right away. I think it's safe to say that we're almost in complete unanimity when it comes to the idea of letting Juolevi play at least another year for the London Knights.

Even if we wanted Demko up here immediately, he's guaranteed to start off in the AHL by virtue of Ryan Miller's remaining contract year in Vancouver. And in reality, that's perfect.

Perhaps your reading skills are failing you, Zombo. LOL

That's exactly what I said. The plan is for the 2017-18 season. That would be when? NEXT YEAR, correct?

My whole post sets up what happens next year, 2017-18.

As to Demko, he needs to play at least 2 seasons in the AHL. Not come into the NHL as a backup. He has to put up phenomenal numbers and pretty much be the best the AHL has to offer in order to warrant shoving him into the NHL next year. Playing as a #1 will be the first accomplishment. Look to see him splitting time with Bachman unless Richard falls on his face. I don't expect Bach to fall on his sword and say,"Here, Thatcher , the net is yours. I'll just sit back and watch in awe." Don't expect Travis to give him anything off the bat either.

Playing as much as possible once he takes the #1 is the best thing you can do for his development. The NHL has plenty of vets who are capable of handling a backup role while Thatcher gets to play put his *** every night. Of course all of this is predicated on Markstrom carrying his end of the load in Vancouver. Thatcher will hopefully embody the same label Marky carried when he came into the NHL, The best goalie in the world not in the NHL. That didn't go over so well for Marky as a young guy expected to carry the load for a team that just wasn't all that good. He finally seems to have put it back together at age 26. Remember, let him develop at his own pace. Goalies usually take a little longer. No need to rush. Vancouver isn't going anywhere in the next 2 seasons anyways.

Besides, as an old goalie, I'd like to watch him develop. here for a bit. Once he's gone it's the TV and that will be on the eastern trips, the Rangers, Isles, Devs, and Sabres away games and the occasional NBC game of the week, and when they play a game on the NBC sports network. Yeah, I'm selfish too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad