Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread Part - XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Yes, almost every single PPG freshman first rounder has turned into a top 6 player in the NHL. Small sample size but still. It's not an easy league for freshman to dominate, and there's some who were about 0.6ppg who nonethless became very solid players (Wheeler, Kreider, Bjugstad). Here's a list going back to 2004.

0-19pts: Patrick White, Jim O'Brien, Daulton Leveille, Kyle Palmieri, Riley Sheahan, Kevin Hayes, Tyler Biggs, Mark Jankowski
20-25pts: Kris Chucko, Blake Wheeler, Jack Skille, Louis Leblanc, Chris Kreider, Nick Bjugstad, Beau Bennett, Brock Nelson
26-35pts: Drew Stafford, Andrew Cogliano, Kyle Turris, JVR, Colin Wilson, Joe Colborne, Charlie Coyle, Alex Tuch, Nick Schmaltz
36+pts: Travis Zajac, TJ Oshie, Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Max Pacioretty, Jordan Schroeder, Jaden Schwartz, Dylan Larkin, Jack Eichel

Gaudreau was also PPG in his draft+1 freshman year.

And to add to that, quality of hockey in the US has risen a lot in the last decade. I would argue its much more impressive to put up PPG in 2015 than say in 2005 for an 18 year old.

Maybe a lazy comparison, but I say if you can get PPG in the NCAA as an 18 year old, you can probably comfortably score over 100 pts in the CHL in the same year.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
And to add to that, quality of hockey in the US has risen a lot in the last decade. I would argue its much more impressive to put up PPG in 2015 than say in 2005 for an 18 year old.

Maybe a lazy comparison, but I say if you can get PPG in the NCAA as an 18 year old, you can probably comfortably score over 100 pts in the CHL in the same year.

Sounds about right. I remember reading that the only 18 yr olds over a ppg last year were Eichel and Larkin, and nobody that age hit ppg the year before last.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lets not bring up Gaudreau here, what he did in his draft +1 season isnt the player that made him into the player he was today.

MISC*

I wasn't the biggest Kassian fan, but man..Can you imagine our roster in a few years if he had reached his potential with us?

Bo. Shink. Sven. Jake. McCann. Boeser. Guance and Kass? Thats a lot of different weapons.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Lets not bring up Gaudreau here, what he did in his draft +1 season isnt the player that made him into the player he was today.

Putting up a draft +1 PPG year is extremely impressive.

Gaudreau's progression is very linear as well.

USHL Draft year
60gp 36g 36a 72pts

H-East Draft +1
44gp 21g 23a 44pts

H-east Draft +2
35gp 21g 30a 51pts

H-east Draft +3
40gp 36g 44a 80pts

NHL Draft +4
80gp 24g 40a 64pts

Compared to Brock's

USHL Draft
57gp 35g 33a 68pts

NCHC Draft +1
11gp 6g 5a 11pts

They are putting up very similar stats up.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
36+pts: Travis Zajac, TJ Oshie, Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo, Max Pacioretty, Jordan Schroeder, Jaden Schwartz, Dylan Larkin, Jack Eichel

Of course we have the only bust in that list. Pretty loft company for Schroeder.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Nov 13

AHL

Utica 3 Springfield 6
Bachman 28 saves on 34 shots

Jensen, (2) (Vey, Biega)
Bancks, (1)
Shinkaruk, (10) (Grenier, Vey) (PP)

ECHL

Evansville 2 Kalamazoo 4
Blomstrand 1 assist, +1
Cederholm 0 points, even (got kicked out for an elbowing major)
Fox 1 goal (5th), 1 assist, +3

NCAA

Yale 2 Rensselaer 3 (OT)
Beattie did not play

Michigan State 4 Boston College 6
Demko 33 saves on 37 shots

Sacred Heart 2 Penn State 8
Williamson did not play

Northeastern 2 Notre Dame 2 (OT)
Gaudette 0 points, even

Miami 2 North Dakota 6
Boeser 1 goal (6th), 3 assists, +3 (selected 2nd star)

QMJHL

Charlottetown 3 Acadie-Bathurst 2
Brisebois 1 goal (3rd), +1

Quebec 1 Chicoutimi 5
Zhukenov 1 goal (4th), 1 assist, +1

Gatineau 2 Sherbrooke 5
Neill 0 points, +2

OHL

Oshawa 4 Erie 6
Pettit 1 goal (4th), 1 assist, +1

WHL

Edmonton 2 Prince George 4
Olson 1 assist, even (fought tiny 5'9" Andrew Koep)

S_C

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Nice to see Fox leading the K-Wings in scoring.

Boeser being a PPG player as a true freshman is a great sign. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Zhukenov finished with a goal, and an assist up to 4G, 13A, 17pts in 18 Gp.

Note* He also saw some time on the top PP, this is good news.

Is it just me, or has Zhukenov started to heat up in terms of production? Seems to be on the scoresheet most nights, with some multi-point games in there too.

Great news he's on the top PP unit. Shows his skill is starting to stand out, and it will serve him well in terms of putting points on the board.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Is it just me, or has Zhukenov started to heat up in terms of production? Seems to be on the scoresheet most nights, with some multi-point games in there too.

Great news he's on the top PP unit. Shows his skill is starting to stand out, and it will serve him well in terms of putting points on the board.

I think people were overreacting calling him a bad pick after 10 games or so. People act like this his is 3rd season of junior hockey (draft -1, draft and draft +1 season) like any other drafted player out of the QMJHL. There is almost always a transition time to get used to the caliber, the NA Ice, the new environment etc.

PPG to 1.2PPG is what I'm expecting and there is 50 mores games to be played. There is a lot of hockey still left to be played and he will only get better from here.

His team also had a terrible start to the season. I'm not too worried about him and I'm rather optimist that he can be a decent pro player if he gains weight and strentgh.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think people were overreacting calling him a bad pick after 10 games or so. People act like this his is 3rd season of junior hockey (draft -1, draft and draft +1 season) like any other drafted player out of the QMJHL. There is almost always a transition time to get used to the caliber, the NA Ice, the new environment etc.

PPG to 1.2PPG is what I'm expecting and there is 50 mores games to be played. There is a lot of hockey still left to be played and he will only get better from here.

His team also had a terrible start to the season. I'm not too worried about him and I'm rather optimist that he can be a decent pro player if he gains weight and strentgh.

Yup, there was a lot of projecting for a guy with 10 games played at the CHL level. A physically undeveloped player making the jump to the N. American game.

A lot of people wanted us to draft Nick Merkley over Brock Boeser in the 1st Rd. He has an identical stat line to Zhukenov right now through 17 games - and this is Merkley's 3rd season in the CHL...

Still think this guy is a player. Too bad we're not getting more game by game reports from Chicoutimi fans.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

received over 23min ice time due to their top defender not in the line up for some reason
lots of PP/PK in this game. intensity was fairly higher than usual
thought he had a good game. did not see a major spizza moments

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat Nov 14

AHL

Utica 1 Syracuse 2
Cannata 26 saves on 28 shots

Zalewski, (3) (Pedan, Fedun)

ECHL

Cincinnati 1 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Blomstrand 0 points, -1
Cederholm 0 points, even
Fox 0 points, -1

NCAA

Yale 2 Union 1 (OT)
Beattie did not play

Sacred Heart 2 Penn State 3
Williamson did not play

Miami 3 North Dakota 4 (OT)
Boeser 1 goal (7th), +2

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst 3 Charlottetown 2
Brisebois 1 assist, +1

Shawinigan 1 Sherbrooke 4
Neill 2 assists, -1

Drummondville 1 Chicoutimi 5
Zhukenov 0 points, +1

OHL

London 1 Erie 3
Pettit 0 points, even

WHL

Edmonton 1 Prince George 6
Olson 1 goal (1st), +2

S_C

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sat Nov 14

AHL

Utica 1 Syracuse 2
Cannata 26 saves on 28 shots

Zalewski, (3) (Pedan, Fedun)

ECHL

Cincinnati 1 Kalamazoo 2 (OT)
Blomstrand 0 points, -1
Cederholm 0 points, even
Fox 0 points, -1

NCAA

Yale 2 Union 1 (OT)
Beattie did not play

Sacred Heart 2 Penn State 3
Williamson

Miami at North Dakota
Boeser

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst 3 Charlottetown 2
Brisebois 1 assist, +1

Shawinigan 1 Sherbrooke 4
Neill 2 assists, -1

Drummondville 1 Chicoutimi 5
Zhukenov 0 points, +1

OHL

London 1 Erie 3
Pettit

S_C

Thanks as always for the great work, SC.

Tate Olson has a goal for the Cougars, who are up 5-0 on the Oil Kings heading into the third period.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Olson had a good game. His goal was on the PP - he has a pretty hard, accurate shot. Pretty good at getting it through the bodies in front that it creates a goal or rebounds. Very mobile on the blueline...as in, he can slither along the blueline to create either, time for a pass, and time for a shot to the net. Like I've said before, he's used in every situation, and one of our best defensemen.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yup, there was a lot of projecting for a guy with 10 games played at the CHL level. A physically undeveloped player making the jump to the N. American game.

A lot of people wanted us to draft Nick Merkley over Brock Boeser in the 1st Rd. He has an identical stat line to Zhukenov right now through 17 games - and this is Merkley's 3rd season in the CHL...

Still think this guy is a player. Too bad we're not getting more game by game reports from Chicoutimi fans.

they also wanted konecny who is uh, doing ok.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Olson had a good game. His goal was on the PP - he has a pretty hard, accurate shot. Pretty good at getting it through the bodies in front that it creates a goal or rebounds. Very mobile on the blueline...as in, he can slither along the blueline to create either, time for a pass, and time for a shot to the net. Like I've said before, he's used in every situation, and one of our best defensemen.

When you say "our" do you mean you're in Prince George? Do you get to see a lot of the games?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
When you say "our" do you mean you're in Prince George? Do you get to see a lot of the games?

Sorry, yes, when I say "our" I mean PG. I'm from PG and live here, so I say "our". :laugh: I am a season ticket holder.

Hard to get a read on players fully as they have been on the damn road so much so far this season. They head out on the road for four games now. :rant:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sorry, yes, when I say "our" I mean PG. I'm from PG and live here, so I say "our". :laugh: I am a season ticket holder.

Hard to get a read on players fully as they have been on the damn road so much so far this season. They head out on the road for four games now. :rant:

No worries, I pretty much knew what you meant anyway. I just wasn't sure if you meant "our" as in one of the best Canucks D prospects, rather than one of the best Cougars defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille