Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread Part - XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sorry, yes, when I say "our" I mean PG. I'm from PG and live here, so I say "our". :laugh: I am a season ticket holder.

Hard to get a read on players fully as they have been on the damn road so much so far this season. They head out on the road for four games now. :rant:

You're now absolutely obligated to post at least once on Olson after each home game.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Odd that someone would use Merkley as an example... whatever it takes to spin stats to your agenda or is Zhukenov injured? Merkley was injured during the Coyotes' training camp and began the season playing through a collarbone injury.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You're now absolutely obligated to post at least once on Olson after each home game.

I've been trying, but I forget some games. :laugh: Not going to lie, I've been paying more attention to other prospects (Harkins, Morrison, Gabrielle) than Olson himself...they are just more exciting, and hard to miss.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I don't think many people criticized the Boeser pick.

It's just that nobody knew who he was. USHL is not as popular as the CHL.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

I was angry the Canucks didnt pick Konecny at the time.. Not at all now. Dissapointing year for Travis so far and Brock looks as close to a sure fire too 6 forward

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Konecny isnt really dissapointing this year hes top 10 in OHL scoring . Sure 5 goals is 5 goals but 29 points in 19 games is 29 points in 19 games. Hes doing whats expected of him i think.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
People wanted Konecny, but didn't mind Boeser. Similar to wanting Barbashev but being okay with McCann. We were just scared of like Carlo or some weird pick.

Edit: Put Kylington instead of Carlo because I don't think so good

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
If Konecny was the Nucks pick u just know he would be a bust based on his size/concussion issues, also considering Ottawa, fantastic scouting team especially in the first round, passed on him twice, I'm glad Boeser was the pick.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the list of team-justifiable picks at our spot was like ten players long. it would been hard to really **** it up

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If Konecny was the Nucks pick u just know he would be a bust based on his size/concussion issues, also considering Ottawa, fantastic scouting team especially in the first round, passed on him twice, I'm glad Boeser was the pick.

I didn't know he had concussion issues, as I don't follow junior at all really. Just read about the players expected to be in our draft range after the season ends until the draft to get my hockey fix. I really worry about kids with concussion issues, which was why I didn't want Richie and am unsure about Pedan (despite him playing very well, definitely worth the risk for 3rd IMO).

The only pick I have a real issue with from Benning is Virtanen, and all the picks he's dumped on meh. Boeser looks great, as does Demko and McCann. If we had Ehlers or Nylander I'd be pretty pumped about our future, but it's a start for sure.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I was happy with Not-Brandon Carlo

yeah if we didn't draft him or bitner I was going to be happy, before draft I was hoping boeser would fall to us (because I didn't think merkley or koneckny would be available) I was 100% fine with taking boeser though. really, no one should be saying "I told you so" both koneckny and boeser have been good.

**** Calgary for getting rasmus anderson, oliver kyilington and dougie hamilton in that draft,.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
the list of team-justifiable picks at our spot was like ten players long. it would been hard to really **** it up

Based on the past history of Canuck drafting, screwing it up is the default result.

From the 2005 to 2011 drafts, it looks like the best player we drafted is going to be Mason Raymond. Seven drafts and that's the best we could do...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Zhukenov has 6 points in 5 games in November. The problem is that he's doing this while his team is scoring 4.4 goals per game. That scoring pace would put them 2nd only to Cataractes.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Odd that someone would use Merkley as an example... whatever it takes to spin stats to your agenda or is Zhukenov injured? Merkley was injured during the Coyotes' training camp and began the season playing through a collarbone injury.

Zhukenov also isn't in his 3rd season in the CHL and is nowhere near the weight he will play at as a pro, unlike Merkley.

I'm not even suggesting Merkley is a poor pick in the 1st Rd. Just that being a PPG player in your 1st taste of CHL action isn't exactly cause for concern at this point - especially for a late 4th Rd pick.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Zhukenov has 6 points in 5 games in November. The problem is that he's doing this while his team is scoring 4.4 goals per game.

A 4th Rd pick scoring at a 1.2PPG clip in November really isn't that concerning at this point...

My concern is what is happening with our other prospects at the AHL level. There were a few early to mid Rd picks that looked like potential NHL players coming into this season, and most of them are just not performing how we all would have hoped.

Cassels- zero goals, 1 assist through 10 games and looks completely overmatched at the AHL level. Not much talk about this player but he's been the biggest disappointment amongst the prospect pool this season IMO.

Grenier- 3rd Rd pick that had some hope coming into camp. At 24, the dream is fading with this player. Wasn't able to build on last season.

Labate- hoped this 4th Rd pick could make the jump to the pro game with his size but at this point looks too slow and plodding to have a chance at an NHL career.

Jensen- this is likely his last kick at an NHL career and it doesn't appear he's all that close. Book is about to close.

Gaunce- makes you think he's on the cusp, then his pace and footspeed issues rear their ugly head and you question if this guy has much upside at the NHL level. Would like to see him start tearing his way through the AHL and show he's too good for that league this season - not sure that's going to happen.

Hopefully Subban can figure out the defensive side of things to help salvage this group. But as of today, the group of pro prospects outside Shinkaruk and Pedan have been my biggest disappointment amongst the prospect pool.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
People forget cassels had a long year last year, he won a mem cup and probably partied to celebrate for awhile in the offseason. Same thing happens to Stanley cup winners. Their players had less time to heal up and train so they stumble out of the gate.

Didn't a report come out saying cassels was playing injured in the mem cup too? I wonder if that's still nagging him I'm not just imagining it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

There were lots of players deemed acceptable picks by this fanbase at our pick. It was more like, don't draft Kylington/Carlo etc

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
for me, i obv had a high high notes for Cole after his run
although i expected some sort of early struggles adjusting to the pro game, i definitely did not see this bad coming
now that ive learned his early struggles, i expect the struggle to continue throughout the year and use these experiences a learning curve

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014

received over 23min ice time due to their top defender not in the line up for some reason
lots of PP/PK in this game. intensity was fairly higher than usual
thought he had a good game. did not see a major spizza moments

Much bigger role on his team than last year. Important minutes against top lines on many games.

Trjamkin played on game last minute (58:40-59:50) when game was 3-3 and continued that first pair defenseman role on overtime almost 2 minutes. I think that was again a good defensive game for him.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
How do you get away from that guy on the smaller ice surface? I hope he makes it over here. The Nucks defense is awfully small and soft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep a blueline tandem of Pedan and Tryamkin would block out the sun and be something to see....maybe they'd also be big enough to actually block some shots with their shin-pads instead of using their fingers like Tanev...agree that 'Nucks blueline desperately needs some size and sandpaper....current group is soft as jello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad