Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Best not to get your hopes up. Just expect the worst and we may be pleasantly surprised.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best not to get your hopes up. Just expect the worst and we may be pleasantly surprised.

Yep...sort of like hitting your head with a hammer....and once you shift to a pencil, it feels good....setting the bar low and then sailing over it....if we can find one offer for any of Prust, Higgins, Weber, Cracknell, Bartkowski or Kenins then Jimbo has exceeded accounts received.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2 days 3 prospects play.

We need to have more draft picks so next year to make it exciting

If this were the Canuck teams of yesteryear, we'd be following the exploits of guys like MCann and Virtanen in Junior and Hutton in the AHL...but the fact they're already in the NHL is actually a good thing...right?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Both Virtanen and McCann aren't exactly "ready" but I don't think they're raw enough for this jump to hurt their development.

I'm sure they'll have a good summer and be prepared for next season now that they know exactly what to expect.

It's arguable that the NHL is the best place for Virtanen as it's more structured with less time and space which decreases his ability to freewheel (which I see as a good thing).

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Feb 26

AHL

St. John's 1 Utica 4
Bachman 28 saves on 29 shots

Zalewski, (13) (Landry, Kenins)
Hamilton, (7) (Prust, Bancks)
Bancks, (9) (Shields, Prust)
Higgins, (3) (EN/SH)

ECHL

Kalamazoo 5 Orlando 2

Gilbert, (12) (Kattelus, Cederholm)
Blomstrand, (20) (Valk, Fox)
Gilbert, (13) (Kovacs, Mallet)
Gilbert, (14) (Mallet)
Fox, (22) (Guimond, Cederholm)

NCAA

Yale 6 Princeton 0
Beattie did not play

Mass-Lowell 1 Boston College 3
Demko 29 saves on 30 shots

Maine 3 Northeastern 5
Gaudette 1 goal (9th), 1 assist, +1

North Dakota 4 Nebraska-Omaha 2
Boeser 1 goal (21st), +1

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst 3 Chicoutimi 1
Brisebois 0 points, even (selected 2nd star)
Zhukenov 0 points, even

Charlottetown 2 Sherbrooke 4
Neill 1 assist, even

OHL

North Bay 0 Erie 4
Pettit 0 points, even

WHL

Prince George 6 Spokane 0
Olson 0 points, +3

Seattle 4 Tri-City 2
Stewart 1 assist, +1

S_C

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^ Thanks as always, S_C.

Brisebois with another star selection despite not getting any points, and it was on the road (opposition picked the stars?). What's up with this guy lol.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Just did the ol' hockeydb check on Gaudette and Northeastern, and noticed his teammate Nolan Stevens appears to be having a decent year, going just by the numbers—31pts in 33gp.

Undrafted 6'3" 183 lbs.

Stevens is a sophomore, but he's born in 1996, a few months older than Gaudette.

Anybody who's caught Gaudette's televised games come away with any impression on this guy?

Again, going by his numbers and size, you'd think he would get some attention from NHL teams—maybe he has, but I haven't paid attention to any of the media on undrafted college players this year other than that article mentioning Brandon Tanev.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Just did the ol' hockeydb check on Gaudette and Northeastern, and noticed his teammate Nolan Stevens appears to be having a decent year, going just by the numbers—31pts in 33gp.

Undrafted 6'3" 183 lbs.

Stevens is a sophomore, but he's born in 1996, a few months older than Gaudette.

Anybody who's caught Gaudette's televised games come away with any impression on this guy?

Again, going by his numbers and size, you'd think he would get some attention from NHL teams—maybe he has, but I haven't paid attention to any of the media on undrafted college players this year other than that article mentioning Brandon Tanev.

Good bloodlines, too. He's either the son or the nephew of John Stevens, I forget which.
Edit: he's the son of ex-NHLer John Stevens, and the brother of his teammate John Stevens.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Good bloodlines, too. He's either the son or the nephew of John Stevens, I forget which.
Edit: he's the son of ex-NHLer John Stevens, and the brother of his teammate John Stevens.

That's confusing.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Didn't know that.

Was curious about whether he's related to the other Stevens on Northeastern, but I noticed they were born in different countries, but I guess that's not too uncommon for hockey families.

The (elder) John Stevens connection didn't even cross my mind. He was in the running for the Canucks coaching job a few years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Seems even more strange that he would have gone undrafted, although I guess his numbers previous to this season don't really stand out.

Still, you'd think he might get a Negrinesque or Morgan-Clarkesque nepotism draft/signing.

Numbers and size look good. Wonder if he'll get signed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Zalewski is having a nice season in Utica....does he have a shot with the 'Nucks or has Granlund rendered him redundant?.....maybe the most improved prospect year over year, and still only 23.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Obviously you guys pay close attention to Boeser, who is an absolute stud, but how closely have you guys paid attention to Troy Stecher? I have a feeling he could end up with you guys after the season.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Obviously you guys pay close attention to Boeser, who is an absolute stud, but how closely have you guys paid attention to Troy Stecher? I have a feeling he could end up with you guys after the season.

I think most of us would be thrilled if we signed both Stecher and Caggiula, with Stecher's hometown roots here making him more likely.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
You gotta give Jimmy Boy some credit with his drafting so far. There has been the Stewarts/Petit but there have also been the Tryamkin/Gaudette/Olsen/Brisebois picks as well. I've been really impressed with Gaudette.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
One of those Johns is Senior, the other one's Junior.

I think the brothers may be Jim Benning's nephews . . . could be way off
on this, but I think I recall something like it. Not that it matters much.

Got it. It was the "his" that through me off: seemed like John Stevens had a teammate named John Stevens, and they were brothers.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Undrafted 6'3" 183 lbs.

Nolan Stevens is pretty intriguing. Big kid who can skate and makes the right decisions with the puck, goes to the net, but isn't a big mean physical player. I think he could add some weight though, give him another 1-2 seasons and we'll probably see news about NHL teams approaching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad