The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I can't cheer for this garbage team Benning has put together. And it makes me feel happy when this team loses, so I'll keep hoping for that.

So if you cant cheer for the team... And it makes you happy when they lose... I have to ask why you're even a canucks fan at this point. Why not follow a team that makes you happy when they win?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So if you cant cheer for the team... And it makes you happy when they lose... I have to ask why you're even a canucks fan at this point. Why not follow a team that makes you happy when they win?

The Canucks made me happy when they won before they hired a bumbling idiot to be the GM. I can’t support this garbage. Maybe you can support sutpodity, but I’m sick of it and demand better. I take great enjoyment seeing him fall flat on his face, and seeing those who were happy he was extended look dumber and dumber.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
If we are truly as bad as everyone says we are, losing will happen on it's own without needing to cheer for it - especially with all of our injuries. Isn't it a bit more fun to cheer for the success of our young prospects and taking success or failure as it comes? If our prospects play great - then great! I'm happy. If we lose a bunch and get a high pick, then great! With the right mentality you really can't lose in the upswing of a team. Expectations aren't high.

I suppose the idea here is that it's better for us going forward to lose now and can the incompetency in our front office - but you don't need to be constantly negative to the point of outright never cheering for anything positive our team does anymore. At that point, it has to be asked - why even be a fan of the Canucks?
lol me cheering shouldn't affect the team winning at all. I cheer for them to lose because it makes me happier when they do - not because I think it will literally make them lose.

Who's being negative? People are coming in here constantly questioning, name calling, criticizing etc and endlessly calling comments negative. Some would call the so called 'negative' comments 'realistic', instead of pretending that certain things are better than they are. If the comments aren't in alignment with your beliefs especially of what constitutes a fan - then it somehow means that people don't belong or whatever it is you are getting at?

I don't see anyone going into EP's thread saying - i hope he gets injured or doesn't score at all. Same with horvat or even eriksonn. The difference being people are posting positive comments in EP's thread because there are a lot of positive things to say - and pretty much no negatives. Gudbranson and Eriksonn however have a lot of negative comments in those threads. And it's obvious those two are mess.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The Canucks made me happy when they won before they hired a bumbling idiot to be the GM. I can’t support this garbage. Maybe you can support sutpodity, but I’m sick of it and demand better. I take great enjoyment seeing him fall flat on his face, and seeing those who were happy he was extended look dumber and dumber.
yeah and like usual the canucks have started the season "punching above their weight". In a few months with the injuries piling up and the youngest players on the team (the team is relying on to carry them) starting to slow down, things will be pretty ripe as usual.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The Canucks might have to trade Markstrom if they want a real shot at tanking.

If you look at the skaters of a team like Philly, it simply does not make sense that they are 4-7 while we're 7-6, sample sizes be damned. But they will probably miss the playoffs because their goalies suck ass.

Assuming the team falls off and is out of the race by Christmas, even with EP and Bo doing their best to be this years NJD, I'd actively look at shopping Markstrom for a 1st rounder to the highest bidder. Carolina, Philly, Calgary, and St. Louis should all be bidding for him.

Reactions: Jack Burton

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
We need another future top line/top pairing level talent.

It's necessary to have any real shot of winning.

Otherwise we end up in treadmill land.

Look at MacKinnon.

He always had the talent, but he’s looking a lot better with Ratanen there to share the offensive load.

Avs fans would be stupid to simply have been content with one superstar level player.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think that Pettersson kid is anti tank

Think he'll make it to 25 games?

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-nhl-draft-pt-x.2358739/page-13#post-133703311
Jack Burton said:
And I'm willing to bet that Pettersson will play less than 25 games in the NHL. This kids game does not transition well to the NHL because when you takeaway his time and space, he becomes worthless.

Taking Pettersson @ 5 is a joke! If this franchise truly wants him then trade down and if their scared that he'll be selected before the trade down pick then just draft Suzuki.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-nhl-draft-pt-x.2358739/page-15#post-133715435
Jack Burton said:
Lololo seriously!

How about a avatar bet? I have a nice " I :heart: vanilla pudding players " for ya.

Is there a time limit on this bet? I'll give you D+2 years to get 25 NHL games in and if he doesn't then I win.

You down?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

That’s where the disconnect is.

The people in here are all Canucks fans who want to see the organization win the Stanley Cup.

We know that Benning and his management team have hurt this organization much more than they have benefitted it, especially in terms of asset management.

We can cheer against the team because we want to see:

A change in management
A higher draft pick
Discontent among the fans and ownership

All of those things will benefit the organization in the long term. (Fans and owners being discontent would promote change and remove patience for mediocrity).

Ultimately if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup, the vast majority of the current management and roster will probably not be part of a hypothetical Cup win, so there’s no reason to be attached to them or feel loyalty towards them.

Think of us as Canuck fans who value the organization and the organization only. If we could swap our entire roster with the Pittsburgh Penguins I would do it in a heartbeat.

Our only goal is for the Vancouver Canucks organization to compete for multiple Stanley Cups, anything else is moot.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Goaltending hurting the tank. Last year I thought our goaltending was way better than it seemed on paper given our lineup and this year is no different. A lot of goalies in this league would do far far worse with the absolute trash lineup in front of them.

Pettersson is carrying this team, and for all his faults Hutton has played well given that he's the de facto #1 D now, but again that puts into context how much strain we must be putting on the backs of our goalies.

Kind of a tough situation. On one hand watching our management/fans get a lesson that the grass isn't always greener when we move our goalies for an "upgrade" would both be fun and maybe a better pick, but on the other hand behind a better team I think these goalies might actually have some value.

Last edited:

northwestern comfort

Jan 11, 2016
Vancouver
y2k’s position is cheering for the team. They are a Canucks fan. The tank thread kind of exposes the tensions between holding short-term and long-term views and the different kind of fandoms. I probably agree more with your line of thinking that I’d rather watch the Canucks finish last organically through exciting 7-6 games because I want to watch an exciting game of hockey. Thing is that’s not going to happen, and y2k is right that the quickest way to some exciting hockey is if Benning is gone.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The Canucks might have to trade Markstrom if they want a real shot at tanking.

If you look at the skaters of a team like Philly, it simply does not make sense that they are 4-7 while we're 7-6, sample sizes be damned. But they will probably miss the playoffs because their goalies suck ass.

Assuming the team falls off and is out of the race by Christmas, even with EP and Bo doing their best to be this years NJD, I'd actively look at shopping Markstrom for a 1st rounder to the highest bidder. Carolina, Philly, Calgary, and St. Louis should all be bidding for him.

No team will give up a 1st for Markstrom. You probably have a hard time getting back a 2nd. 1b goalies have no value.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
EP is like that lone sniper up in the ruins, picking up our boys one by one from the tank. It’s a good thing there’s more of us on this tank. EP can only carry us so far with the other garbage in this team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Look at MacKinnon.

He always had the talent, but he’s looking a lot better with Ratanen there to share the offensive load.

Avs fans would be stupid to simply have been content with one superstar level player.
Funny you point out Rantanen because he was drafted 10th overall, he wasn’t the result of tanking but actually the result of trying to make the playoffs but failed....
Not that I suggest we should go for it but...fact is fact

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Funny you point out Rantanen because he was drafted 10th overall, he wasn’t the result of tanking but actually the result of trying to make the playoffs but failed....
Not that I suggest we should go for it but...fact is fact

That was such a stacked draft though, normally you wouldn’t find a player of that quality at 10.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I feel like projecting your distaste for the management onto the team at large is a little off-base.
It goes farther back I can remember his previous Nick ( pauser) I believe he actually wanted the sedins traded for a bag of pucks at one time and said so on Russels call in show and I remember Dan Russell hit the roof on him .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad