The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Also all this is brushing off valardi as some sort of joke of a player. He’s tracking damn well and EP could still be the wrong pick if his size gets him injured all the time. Based on how he’s tracking valardi could easily be a 70 point center and Peterson could be an injury prone small center or an 75 point center.

I wouldn’t be upset with an 70point center at pick 5 even if pick 6(or rangers at 8) got an 75 point center.

I was hesitant on petersson because of his size when he was drafted and I believe I wanted glass/valardi also but most of us knew they were in the same tier unlike our other picks previously at 5/6.

Full disclosure I also wanted Vilardi at five (though I also would have picked Nylander, Pastrnak, Point, Keller so...) and his D+1 did track well, but Vilardi has had a lot of injury issues too. I feel safe, as of now, stating that EP was the best pick at that slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Full disclosure I also wanted Vilardi at five (though I also would have picked Nylander, Pastrnak, Keller so...) and his D+1 did track well, but Vilardi has had a lot of injury issues too. I feel safe, as of now, stating that EP was the best pick at that slot.

Oh I agree it’s looking like petersson should have gone 1 but it’s super duper early to say that and yea valardi seems like he would be the wrong pick based on injury woes instead of talent which would be a bigger concern.

Side note: taking McCann over Pasternak is completely defensible as no one saw that development from him coming otherwise he’s a top 5 pick at the draft. Sometimes it’s the development of the player that makes a pick great.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oh I agree it’s looking like petersson should have gone 1 but it’s super duper early to say that and yea valardi seems like he would be the wrong pick based on injury woes instead of talent which would be a bigger concern.

Side note: taking McCann over Pasternak is completely defensible as no one saw that development from him coming otherwise he’s a top 5 pick at the draft. Sometimes it’s the development of the player that makes a pick great.

I said in another post that McCann was a reasonable pick. He was rated higher and has turned into a solid middle-six player. But it's still on Benning for throwing him away.

On my personal ranking though, I had Pasta > McCann. And if we were smart, we would have taken Brayden Point in 2014 too (who I had rated in the 20s).

2014 literally had the potential to insta-solve the rebuild.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I said in another post that McCann was a reasonable pick. He was rated higher and has turned into a solid middle-six player. But it's still on Benning for throwing him away.

On my personal ranking though, I had Pasta > McCann. And if we were smart, we would have taken Brayden Point in 2014 too (who I had rated in the 20s).

2014 literally had the potential to insta-solve the rebuild.

Sorry I wasn’t directing my comment to you about the McCann pick. just in general that for the million screwups benning has this is not one we should attack him for as it was a reasonable pick at the time. But like you said him trading him away was dumb.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Also all this is brushing off valardi as some sort of joke of a player. He’s tracking damn well and EP could still be the wrong pick if his size gets him injured all the time. Based on how he’s tracking valardi could easily be a 70 point center and Peterson could be an injury prone small center or an 75 point center.

I wouldn’t be upset with an 70point center at pick 5 even if pick 6(or rangers at 8) got an 75 point center.

I was hesitant on petersson because of his size when he was drafted and I believe I wanted glass/valardi also but most of us knew they were in the same tier unlike our other picks previously at 5/6.

Interesting that you focus on injury issues as a potential issue with Pettersson who doesn't have a injury history playing against men but then state that people are brushing off Valardi who has a injury history playing against kids. Pettersson is tracking to be a superstar. Valardi would have been a terrible pick if Pettersson was still on the board.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Interesting that you focus on injury issues as a potential issue with Pettersson who doesn't have a injury history playing against men but then state that people are brushing off Valardi who has a injury history playing against kids. Pettersson is tracking to be a superstar. Varardi would have been a terrible pick if Pettersson was still on the board.

Have you read the rest of the posts or just jumped at that one?

Cause I mentioned how valardi is struggling with injuries and also mentioned that petersson could be in the discussion for #1 overall.

My point was that neither would be a horrible pick based on skill cause valardi is dominating in juniors while still projecting to be a #1 center and could be a failed pick based on injuries alone.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
When someone constantly posts about how much farther along the team would be if they'd made the picks they wanted, then yes, there is a supposition that that person knows better who ought to have been drafted. And it turns out they only make that claim when discussing certain picks and never bring up the picks they wanted that wouldn't have worked as well as the ones that were actually made. There's no humility whatsoever on internet message boards. That's ultimately what leads to arguments.

Jim Benning should be a hundred times better than us at picking players, if it's actually a skill that he has. That it's even close would be a pathetic result for someone supposing to have such a skill.

Saying "but hindsight" is ridiculous when evaluating someone who claims to have foresight.

Can the mods do something about the anti tank trolls who keep infesting the pro-tank thread please?

This is the pro tank thread. Not the "debate the merits of tanking" thread or the eleven jillionth "slipping Jimmy is real gud at drafting" thread.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Jim Benning should be a hundred times better than us at picking players, if it's actually a skill that he has. That it's even close would be a pathetic result for someone supposing to have such a skill.

Saying "but hindsight" is ridiculous when evaluating someone who claims to have foresight.

Can the mods do something about the anti tank trolls who keep infesting the pro-tank thread please?

This is the pro tank thread. Not the "debate the merits of tanking" thread or the eleven jillionth "slipping Jimmy is real gud at drafting" thread.
From what I've been able to infer from their remarks, the mods have no more respect for the conduct of the virulently ant-Benning crowd than anyone else. They're just more restrained.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Do you think y2k maybe getting the petersson/valardi pick wrong is as egregious as the guy who’s actual job it is to scout players getting the obvious Virtanen/Euler/nylander and Juolevi/Tkachuk picks wrong?

There is an old saying about comparing apples with oranges. Here it seems more like apples are being compared to rocks. I think wanting Vilardi over Pettersson may turn out to be the wrong choice (it's looking that way right now) but there are fundamental differences between that and the Tkachuk and Juolevi picks.

1. Vilardi/Pettersson-two highly rated players, generally rated similarly with many scouting prognisticators and mock drafts preferring Vilardi.

2. Tkachuk/Juolevi-scouting services overwhelmingly favoured Tkachuk Juolevi was rated lower by virtually everyone.

3. Virtanan/Nylander//Ehlers-This perhaps isn't quite so surprising a pick as Juolevi over Tkachuk, but Nylander and Ehlers were both rated higher than Virtanen by the overwhelming majority.

A second difference is that Vilardi has tracked really well except that he sprained his back working out in the summer of 2017 (after the draft, if I understand correctly) and has had problems with his back since then. Virtanen and Juolevi aren't tracking below expectations because of injuries suffered after they were drafted.

Some might argue that Virtanen has been hampered by shoulder issues (which was certainly the case in his draft + 1 season) but they were known to the Canucks before they drafted him. His junior team had announced he'd had shoulder surgery and would miss 4-6 months of practice in May, 2014: Jake Virtanen out Four to Six Months - Last Word on Sports

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Are you disputing that you said those things? Because I took them directly from the draft day thread. One was a partial quote of a post with another unrelated sentence (if memory serves), the other two are full, unaltered quotes of entire posts. You're a mother****ing liar.

I’m disputing you saying that I ever said I liked the pick from day 1. The fact is you’ve proven to be a fraud who can’t cite his sources and has resorted to making things up to flame and attack me.

Reactions: Jack Burton

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You're fooling no one.

Except I gave you the direct quote, with link to the quote that I know you're talking about, which clearly shows I never said what you claim I said. All you did was put whatever you claim I said in your own quotations, offering absolutely nothing. Look, I can do it too. Here's a direct quote from you. "y2k is right about everything and I"m wrong." See?

It must be very embarrassing to come out with all those swears, coming out and calling me a liar, and being proved wrong with facts once again. I get it. You dug in deep, you really wanted to stick it to me, but you were wrong. It happens. Just admit you're wrong, apologize for being so hostile, and we'll move on.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
What?

I saw Vilardi as a faller. Someone I thought for sure was a top 4 lock. He fell to us at 5. I saw passing on him as a huge mistake. I did have Pettersson ranked at 5/6 in some of my final rankings. Clearly I was high on him. But when there’s a prospect who falls, who the team passes on, clearly you’re going to think it’s a mistake. That doesn’t mean you don’t like the player they picked. That’s just means you feel the team passed on a better player.

I can’t believe I’m having to explain such a simple concept.

You were upset because you get locked in on 1 to 2 players rather than understanding that the draft is too random to have such a specific tier outside of 1st overall (most years). It’s not a stupid mistake at all, although you did embarrass yourself a bit in the aftermath. But you don’t have to argue about it with people that are constantly wrong about basically everything Canucks related, just ignore them and accept what happened.

Reactions: elwin316

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I just find it amusing how someone can be so angry, and can have this massive vendetta against me, outright calling me a liar and calling me a motherf***er (he edited his post later but it was caught when I quoted him), yet still be so wrong with what he's saying. Claiming he direct quoted me, yet all he did was put quotations around his own words while I actually copied and pasted the exact post, with link, that I know he's referring to, in order to prove him wrong. Leads me to the conclusion that either the English language is too difficult for some to understand, or he's deliberately trying to troll me in order to flame me. Either way, probably best to move on. The Canucks have a game to lose right now.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I just find it amusing how someone can be so angry, and can have this massive vendetta against me, outright calling me a liar and calling me a mother****er (he edited his post later but it was caught when I quoted him), yet still be so wrong with what he's saying. Claiming he direct quoted me, yet all he did was put quotations around his own words while I actually copied and pasted the exact post, with link, that I know he's referring to, in order to prove him wrong. Leads me to the conclusion that either the English language is too difficult for some to understand, or he's deliberately trying to troll me in order to flame me. Either way, probably best to move on. The Canucks have a game to lose right now.
The fact that you make them so mad just by telling the truth says a lot. Keep telling the truth like you always do about the Canucks' situation and they'll continue to come out of the woodwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad