The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So if you cant cheer for the team... And it makes you happy when they lose... I have to ask why you're even a canucks fan at this point. Why not follow a team that makes you happy when they win?

I've been a lifelong Canuck fan. I'm not going to just jump to another team because the owner decided to hire a complete buffoon and extend him. I'll just cheer for the idiot to fall flat on his face, and that brings me joy. It's like reverse cheering. These past few years have been like 2008-09 where the team was successful in the regular season but failed in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Instead of winning all those games they lost a lot of games, and instead of winning the Stanley Cup (winning the draft lottery) they bowed out early.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
These anti tankers can’t seem to understand that we are fans of the team and our only goal is to see them win the Stanley cup. Most of not all of us in here don’t believe that benning can build such a team and we will only have a chance at that when we let go of him. The fastest way to get him out of here is for the team to lose a lot of games, which the by product of is us getting a high pick.

Most of us have been fans all our lives and will continue to do so ( heck I have a season ticket pack) but cheering for losses is our way of hoping we get to a cup sooner

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
y2k’s position is cheering for the team. They are a Canucks fan. The tank thread kind of exposes the tensions between holding short-term and long-term views and the different kind of fandoms. I probably agree more with your line of thinking that I’d rather watch the Canucks finish last organically through exciting 7-6 games because I want to watch an exciting game of hockey. Thing is that’s not going to happen, and y2k is right that the quickest way to some exciting hockey is if Benning is gone.

You're right to a point. This is a long-term view vs. short-term view issue. Some fans are too stuck in the short-term "you must cheer for your team now or else you're not a fan" stupid hyperbole, while I would much rather see the team win the Stanley Cup and therefore am willing to have my team go through what's necessary to get to that point. To me, seeing the Canucks win a Cup is worth a hell of a lot more than getting excited about a 7-6 October record.

Beyond that, if I want to watch exciting hockey I will watch other teams. Right now Winnipeg and Toronto are very fun to watch. Even Calgary has played some fun games, and Vegas is always a fun team to watch. I'm not one of these fans who only watches Canucks games (which explains some of the ignorant opinions of certain players whenever Benning acquires someone), so I'll get my good hockey fix from those teams, while hoping the Canucks lose all their games.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Says the guy who has being posting here sinc March 25 2018

I haven’t been posting since then, nor have I ever been banned. How this is possible will remain a mystery that eludes the world’s greatest minds.

I like Hindustan Smyl’s “i promise pettersson is a winger and will never be a good centre” better

That guy’s a troll though, whereas Jack Burton has always fancied himself some sort of draft savant. The dude puts himself out there though, I’ll give him that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melvin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I haven’t been posting since then, nor have I ever been banned. How this is possible will remain a mystery that eludes the world’s greatest minds.

That guy’s a troll though, whereas Jack Burton has always fancied himself some sort of draft savant. The dude puts himself out there though, I’ll give him that.

That's really the only reason I bring it up. He went on and on about how brilliant he is at drafting and posted with so much conviction about Pettersson. Even making a bet with another poster about it, not that he was willing to stake anything tangible to it.

This was all before he was drafted too.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Detroit win, Buffalo/CGY 3 point game, Islanders win, Flyers win, Coyotes win, NYR win in S/O vs SJS for their first road win.

As long as no team falls behind horrifically we can have a Pettersson driven win here and there. But we're going to need to start falling behind everyone soon as possible to lock in getting a decent pick (and motivating a sell off of whatever UFA assets we have).

Last edited:

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
These anti tankers can’t seem to understand that we are fans of the team and our only goal is to see them win the Stanley cup. Most of not all of us in here don’t believe that benning can build such a team and we will only have a chance at that when we let go of him. The fastest way to get him out of here is for the team to lose a lot of games, which the by product of is us getting a high pick.

Most of us have been fans all our lives and will continue to do so ( heck I have a season ticket pack) but cheering for losses is our way of hoping we get to a cup sooner

Right, but what I'm saying is I find it a healthier mentality to take losses as "ah well, we lost, that much closer to Hughes!" than feeling negatively about every time we score. I personally can't fathom not feeling frustrated about our team playing poorly. It's ugly and embarrassing. It's a very natural reaction to react negatively to failure when you have emotional stakes in success. I care about this team and it's players, and thus I feel bad when they do poorly.

As I've said, losing will happen regardless. Hell, I'm pro-tank and relatively anti-Benning. I think we would do better to get rid of him and get a top pick this offseason. But I still wouldn't ever actively root for our failure, and can't imagine how bitter and jaded I would seemingly have to be to do so.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Right, but what I'm saying is I find it a healthier mentality to take losses as "ah well, we lost, that much closer to Hughes!" than feeling negatively about every time we score. I personally can't fathom not feeling frustrated about our team playing poorly. It's ugly and embarrassing. It's a very natural reaction to react negatively to failure when you have emotional stakes in success. I care about this team and it's players, and thus I feel bad when they do poorly.

As I've said, losing will happen regardless. Hell, I'm pro-tank and relatively anti-Benning. I think we would do better to get rid of him and get a top pick this offseason. But I still wouldn't ever actively root for our failure, and can't imagine how bitter and jaded I would seemingly have to be to do so.

I don't agree with what you said, but I understand where you are coming from. If this is the way you wish to enjoy the game, there's nothing wrong with that. At least you can still get enjoyment out of watching the orcas.

I'm on the boat of getting rid of Benning at ALL costs. Every moment he sits in the chair is likely another FIVE minutes of extra work our next GM will have to do to rid this organization of his vile, putrid stench.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I don't agree with what you said, but I understand where you are coming from. If this is the way you wish to enjoy the game, there's nothing wrong with that. At least you can still get enjoyment out of watching the orcas.

I'm on the boat of getting rid of Benning at ALL costs. Every moment he sits in the chair is likely another FIVE minutes of extra work our next GM will have to do to rid this organization of his vile, putrid stench.

That's amicable. I hope you guys can get to a point where you're enjoying success soon!

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Detroit win, Buffalo/CGY 3 point game, Islanders win, Flyers win, Coyotes win, NYR win in S/O vs SJS for their first road win.

As long as no team falls behind horrifically we can have a Pettersson driven win here and there. But we're going to need to start falling behind everyone soon as possible to lock in getting a decent pick (and motivating a sell off of whatever UFA assets we have).
This team should be free falling. Baertschi, Sutter, Tanev, and Edler are all vital blows to this roster. Petterson, Horvat, and the goaltending have willed out some wins and it's only a matter of time before Boeser starts going as well. Hutton has stepped up and finally getting the ice time he deserves. It's an interesting dynamic because it's nice to see these young players succeed and play important roles on this team, but this management needs to be purged before more damage is done. Why can't we have both? :(

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Do the anti-tank people understand statistics and analytics? Do the anti-tank people understand what the pro-tank thread is for?

Honestly at some point you'll realize that a very large chunk of the population cannot grasp statistics and analytics. I'm not even trying to sound superior or anything, I make mistakes and sometimes people who do understand them apply them incorrectly. It's just if you look around you'll be absolutely blown away by how many people cannot understand them.

This is why people are obsessed with the eye test. The eye test is useful and needs to be used as analytics on their own won't tell you the whole story, but as soon as you start bringing numbers and trends into the mix some people just shut down. They'll either try to find a way to dismiss them or just flat out ignore them.

I'm not saying that's what all the anti-tank people are doing or anything, but when you have to argue with someone about how having better odds as 31st is a good thing regardless of the 27th place team winning the lottery last year it's kind of hard to accept. "Is he f***ing with me or do I have to explain that 7/10 is more than 4/10?. No that's insane, he must be f***ing with me"

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
This team should be free falling. Baertschi, Sutter, Tanev, and Edler are all vital blows to this roster. Petterson, Horvat, and the goaltending have willed out some wins and it's only a matter of time before Boeser starts going as well. Hutton has stepped up and finally getting the ice time he deserves. It's an interesting dynamic because it's nice to see these young players succeed and play important roles on this team, but this management needs to be purged before more damage is done. Why can't we have both? :(

We are in a bit of an awkward situation - I agree. I think we're too good to horribly suck but missing the elite drafted talent to really make us actually good. It's frustrating to have had such bad draft luck since it means we still don't have that #1/#2 draft pick type of talent a la Laine/Matthews/McDavid/etc. that we really need to put us over, despite being as awful as we have been over the past few years. Instead, we've been able to draft a lot of good but not gamebreaking players (Pettersson aside, I suppose) - which makes us just mediocre enough to be a bubble team.

In essence, f*** Edmonton for screwing up the draft. Our team is a prime example of the teams that are built with their asinine and arbitrary new drafting rules - and it could be a LOT worse if we didn't do so well with drafting someone like Petey at 5th overall. At this point I wouldn't be surprised for us to finish barely out of the playoffs only to finally win the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->