Prospect Info: The Premature 2020 Draft Thread

How Many Seasons Until Yaroslav Askarov is an NHL Starter?

• Ready

• 1 Season Post Draft

• 2 Seasons Post Draft

• 3 Seasons Post Draft

• 4 Seasons Post Draft

• 5 Seasons Post Draft

• More than 5 Seasons Post Draft

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure where ot put this since the lottery thread got locked so fast,

But I'm surprised there hasn't been any outrage considering NYR won the 2nd overall pick just last year lol. That is some insane luck with those odds.
2nd last year, 1st this year and might also have Panarin win the Hart.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think you have to take Askarov if he falls but goalies in the mid first are always a risk. The Russian factor doesn’t help either, he’ll be over there for at least a few years and it could turn into 5-6 years before we see him.

I’d be happy with either of Quinn or Reichel.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Keep Klefbom. Trade Nurse.

Klefbom at his best is better than Nurse. Plus he’s a lot cheaper.

My preference on who to trade at D:

Nurse > Larsson > Benning > Jones > Klefbom > Bear/Bouchard/Broberg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know pretty much nothing about who is available at 14th overall nor do I really care who we draft as long as we draft a talented winger. Whoever we draft won't play for 2 years any way. The clock is ticking on the McDavid Draisaitl era.

If you draft a center you can move them to the wing ala Draisaitl and Nuge.

There is a reason why centers are generally valued over wingers.

If Puljujarvi comes back we actually have more than enough wingers for our top 6 and then some.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Did you not see the impact that Ethan Bear and Kailer Yamamoto had on the NHL roster this season? This team needs a steady stream of ELCs to maintain a healthy cap situation without ruining their depth.

Just look at what big fish hunting did to the Leafs.

Yeah, there's no way i trade Bouchard or Broberg at this point, especially since we haven't even given them a chance. They are on ELC's which are what you need on your roster contributing if you want to succeed. Nurse should be on the top of the trading block. We have had a long enough look at him to know what we have in him. 5.6m is too much for what he brings, and in 2 years time it's gonna cost more to keep him.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Keep Klefbom. Trade Nurse.

Klefbom at his best is better than Nurse. Plus he’s a lot cheaper.

My preference on who to trade at D:

Nurse > Larsson > Benning > Jones > Klefbom > Bear/Bouchard/Broberg

I liked the improvement in Jones this year. I like the fact that he's signed for two more years at only 850k cap hit. Would like to keep him on, and hopefully we can get Seattle to take someone else instead of him in the expansion draft.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I am pretty pumped about the draft because I have a clear top 14 guys that are ahead of the rest

In theory (IN THEORY) that should mean getting a guy I really like.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I feel like we're going to end up with Dawson Mercer. Seems like an Oilers type pick. He played together with Olivier Rodrigue for two seasons so Oilers brass should be very familiar with him and will also obviously have some insight into who he is, what he's like as a teammate etc. Also he's ranked pretty much exactly where the Oilers pick.

I wouldn’t hate it, but I’m settling quickly on two targets so I can prepare to be disappointed.

Did somebody actually say this was their shortlist? Or just a hypothetical?

He’s being facetious. Those are all defensemen.

I am pretty pumped about the draft because I have a clear top 14 guys that are ahead of the rest

In theory (IN THEORY) that should mean getting a guy I really like.

Oh playing this game against the Oilers is so infuriating lol. Seeing Stauffer’s rundown though gives me hope that the Oilers won’t screw it up.

Reactions: Cloned

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
We all i know they will reach. Every one of us.

I know but...

The Stauffer list definitely gets me in the spin cycle - as I said earlier, I think the Oil think Quinn is going before that, but I feel that Quinn will be near the top of their list. Didn't appear on Stauffer's.

Lundell would be a great fit.

Jarvis would be amazing. Mercer is a decent fit. Zary is excellent.

Peterka I'm divided on - he's certainly speedy (a Holland trait) but I do still think he's more of a bottom six guy.

Askarov I get is a great prospect but won't be ready (based off Samsonov and Vasilevskiy trajectories) until McDavid is like, 27/28. Risky.

Nothing riskier than Hendrix Lapierre, could bust more than the others. Has great skill but I'm concerned and not just injuries, he doesn't like to shoot and seems a bit enigmatic.

If I ranked them on my want level:

Jarvis, Askarov (! I don't know to be honest), Zary, Lundell, Quinn, Mercer, Peterka, Lapierre

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like we're going to end up with Dawson Mercer. Seems like an Oilers type pick. He played together with Olivier Rodrigue for two seasons so Oilers brass should be very familiar with him and will also obviously have some insight into who he is, what he's like as a teammate etc. Also he's ranked pretty much exactly where the Oilers pick.

I wouldn’t be upset with Mercer.

Seems polished and versatile with a decent enough ceiling.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Scouching did a quick mock draft after the lottery. He had Lundell going to Ottawa at 5! I was blown away. He also had teams taking Holloway and Guhle ahead of us.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
People cry about how much the Oilers don't deserve a top pick and then the Rangers win and you don't hear a peep. This is a team that should have no issues contending ever because there's always players who want to play there. Trouba, Fox, Panarin in one off-season last year. They're gifted players, it just hasn't been through the draft. Now they get Kakko and Lafreniere back to back years. That team is going to be a power house soon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People cry about how much the Oilers don't deserve a top pick and then the Rangers win and you don't hear a peep. This is a team that should have no issues contending ever because there's always players who want to play there. Trouba, Fox, Panarin in one off-season last year. They're gifted players, it just hasn't been through the draft. Now they get Kakko and Lafreniere back to back years. That team is going to be a power house soon.
They were only 4 points back on us, have a deep prospect pool and are adding Lafreniere.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway or Askarov if he drops.

I'd be pretty dissapointed with Holloway. One of the older guys in the draft. Average at everything good skater. Kind of like the Broberg pick where his ranking is all over the place. I could see them liking him cause they seem to pick skating over everything else right now. Better than the coke machine decisions of the past.

Also not a fan of Mercer for the team. This team offensively still struggles with every single forward trying to pass it into the net, adding another playmaker won't help with that

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Scouching did a quick mock draft after the lottery. He had Lundell going to Ottawa at 5! I was blown away. He also had teams taking Holloway and Guhle ahead of us.

I’m glad I’m not the only Lundell fan. :)

I get Toews vibes from him. He just has that innate ability to effortlessly take pucks with leverage and body positioning.

I don’t expect him to ever put up 90 points or anything, but I think he’s going to be a very good #1C.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway or Askarov if he drops.

I'd be pretty dissapointed with Holloway. One of the older guys in the draft. Average at everything good skater. Kind of like the Broberg pick where his ranking is all over the place. I could see them liking him cause they seem to pick skating over everything else right now. Better than the coke machine decisions of the past
Gotta love it when a mock draft has you taking a guy who "doesn’t have true top-end offensive touch" because he's fast.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I have no issue taking Askarov at 14. People saying he won't be ready for 4-5 years are out to lunch. If you're good enough you can play within 2 as shown with guys like Price, Hart, and Vasilevskiy. He is one of the best goaltending prospects in years and we have had a rotating door of goalies ever since Roloson. It's an easy pick IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad