Prospect Info: The Premature 2020 Draft Thread

How Many Seasons Until Yaroslav Askarov is an NHL Starter?

• Ready

• 1 Season Post Draft

• 2 Seasons Post Draft

• 3 Seasons Post Draft

• 4 Seasons Post Draft

• 5 Seasons Post Draft

• More than 5 Seasons Post Draft

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

space321

May 11, 2011
Why would we take a goalie? By the time he's ready will McDavid and Draisaitl still be here lol

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So in reading alot of messages here....the idea seems to be that we still need at least 4 positions....

1) Winger 2 way that can get the puck and score for McDavid...

2) 3rd line centre that is excellent defensively and has wheels and offensive upside

3) A puck moving top 3 potential D

4) A goalie with star potential (hopefully as goalies are dust)

Ottawa may have some hunger to increase the quality and lower the risk of a couple of their draft choices....supposing that NYI lose in first round.....14 for 20-22 and 33 overall....so instead of quinn or mercer.....we would get mysak/bourque and maybe move up again for a Wallinder??

New Jersey needs numbers and currently doesnt have a second ...dont see them doing this....

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Askarov is taken one pick before ours. Carolina has been waiting for a stud goalie for what seems like forever.

If Quinn falls, I think we take him without much consideration.

Jarvis and Mercer are the other two wingers I think we look at. Both are right shots and adept playmakers and shooters. Jarvis has some pest in his game and Mercer is a good 2-way player. Both can play a bit at center but will likely end up wingers. I also have a feeling Holland is high on Peterka, and maybe Holloway. He certainly likes speed.

Centers like Lundell, Zary, and even Lapierre probably tempt Holland too. A 2-way C with offensive upside playing behind McDavid and Draisaitl would be great.

I don't think we really consider any of Bourque, Mysak, Perreault, Amirov, Gunler, and unfortunately, Reichel.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
So my guess is that the Oilers draft board looks something like this:

Quinn
Askarov
Jarvis
Mercer
Zary
Lundell
Peterka

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Reichel could be a good fit for McDavid imo. He plays almost completely mistake-free. Not a world-beater right now by any means, but very very smart player, who would be able to give McDavid the puck in full stride (for some reason most players are too stupid/bad to do so). Can also finish himself, has a good release and is just very strong around the crease when it comes to rebounds.

Yes I am German, but honestly think Reichel is probably top5 safest pick to make the NHL. Just too solid overall to bust imo.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Reichel could be a good fit for McDavid imo. He plays almost completely mistake-free. Not a world-beater right now by any means, but very very smart player, who would be able to give McDavid the puck in full stride (for some reason most players are too stupid/bad to do so). Can also finish himself, has a good release and is just very strong around the crease when it comes to rebounds.

Yes I am German, but honestly think Reichel is probably top5 safest pick to make the NHL. Just too solid overall to bust imo.
Agreed. I just get the feeling the Oilers are higher on other players in our range, JJ Peterka included.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Yeah I really like Reichel, think there's a slight chance he ends up better than Stutzle who certainly is the better player now and likely for the future but I just think Reichel's skillset translates really really well to higher levels while Stutzle imo will probably have to make some adjustments to be truly efficient.

Don't think it's out of the question that he ends up an Oiler either, Holland historically likes smart players with skill and ability to work well with teammates. And he's shown he's not afraid to toss consensus aside to grab his guy.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah I’ve come around to it with the same line of thinking. In three years they would have a tough time affording him and find a Leafs-like situation. Though I think he’s better (or at least more ready) than Jack Hughes from last year, the time off could see him having a slow start or maybe even not starting in the NHL altogether.

I agree with ya as well. What happens if he don't work out? Then the hockey world is all over us again. I say trade Puju and the 14th pick for a proven LW

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Do u live an Germany and watch that league there? Just curious how their program is going

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Yeah I really like Reichel, think there's a slight chance he ends up better than Stutzle who certainly is the better player now and likely for the future but I just think Reichel's skillset translates really really well to higher levels while Stutzle imo will probably have to make some adjustments to be truly efficient.
It is possible, yes. Reichel is very good and some years ago was seen as Germanys #1 prospect. Then after a relatively bad season lost the top spot and Stützle took over.

Since about 3 years or so I am probably the biggest Stützle fan out there. Just love his skills, but sometimes he plays a little too wild. I am honestly scared someone will hit him so bad with an open ice hit, he gets badly injured.
Other than that, I think Stützle is too good to not have an impact. Might take a year longer than expected, but will eventually happen.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Do u live an Germany and watch that league there? Just curious how their program is going
Yes, I live in Berlin. Not a fan of local Eisbären Berlin team though (the club where Reichel plays). But Eisbären are for sure one of the top3/4 clubs here. Always had good junior teams as well. Actually it is kinda funny since each german top prospect plays for a different top3/4 team (Stützle = Mannheim, Peterka = Munich, Reichel = Berlin; Cologne would be the 4th team). They all have access to very good coaches, training facilities, med staff. These teams do spend a bunch of money each season. Around 12-16 million Euros a year each.

One thing that often gets overlooked:
All the good juniors here watch a ton of videos on Youtube. When you see how stars are training, how much time and effort they put in, and also just watch the different exercises, you can still improve a lot even though the overall competition is lower than in Sweden or so.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway or Askarov if he drops.

I'd be pretty dissapointed with Holloway. One of the older guys in the draft. Average at everything good skater. Kind of like the Broberg pick where his ranking is all over the place. I could see them liking him cause they seem to pick skating over everything else right now. Better than the coke machine decisions of the past.

Also not a fan of Mercer for the team. This team offensively still struggles with every single forward trying to pass it into the net, adding another playmaker won't help with that

I dont think Pronman really knows anything about specific teams so I am not sure that a mock draft is going to be remotely accurate with him. Hes also pretty biased about certain prospects as most scouts are.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Scouching did a quick mock draft after the lottery. He had Lundell going to Ottawa at 5! I was blown away. He also had teams taking Holloway and Guhle ahead of us.

Yeah I cant see Lundell going that high. Hes one player I really dont know where to expect him to go. The internet scouts dont like him. Bob McKenzie list has him at #12 so NHL scouts like him. Blackbook is pretty low on him (#25?). I do think he will go somewhere between 10-20.

I think theres a good chance that one (or maybe both) of Guhle/Schneider go before 14. Teams are still going to draft defensemen.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think his mock draft is a bit of a mess between 4-10 but maybe he knows something that I dont. I dont think Buttons mock drafts are generally that accurate though. I could see a team like Winnipeg going for Jarvis. Hes from Winnipeg and I think hes close to a top 10 talent then where some of these other lists have him.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway or Askarov if he drops.

I'd be pretty dissapointed with Holloway. One of the older guys in the draft. Average at everything good skater. Kind of like the Broberg pick where his ranking is all over the place. I could see them liking him cause they seem to pick skating over everything else right now. Better than the coke machine decisions of the past.

Also not a fan of Mercer for the team. This team offensively still struggles with every single forward trying to pass it into the net, adding another playmaker won't help with that

I agree about Holloway, but Mercer can shoot the puck. He's just as much a sniper as he is a playmaker.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah I cant see Lundell going that high. Hes one player I really dont know where to expect him to go. The internet scouts dont like him. Bob McKenzie list has him at #12 so NHL scouts like him. Blackbook is pretty low on him (#25?). I do think he will go somewhere between 10-20.

I think theres a good chance that one (or maybe both) of Guhle/Schneider go before 14. Teams are still going to draft defensemen.

I highly doubt Lundell falls to us. I'm not a fan of him, but I'm sure one of Buffalo, Winnipeg, or Minnesota will pick him up. The Jets love their Fins and Lundell fills a big hole for them, and the same goes for Buffalo. Minny could be looking for a Koivu replacement, and they're also lacking C's.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I really wanted Reichel when we were sitting at #20ish. I think he would fit really well with McDavid. I would just have a hard time picking him if Jarvis or Quinn is sitting there.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think his mock draft is a bit of a mess between 4-10 but maybe he knows something that I dont. I dont think Buttons mock drafts are generally that accurate though. I could see a team like Winnipeg going for Jarvis. Hes from Winnipeg and I think hes close to a top 10 talent then where some of these other lists have him.

Yeah, it seems a little unlikely that Quinn drops to us as he is pretty consistently in the top-10 isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad