Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Pittsburgh | 2/17/19 - 12:30 PM - NBC

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Sheifele is better than both Nylander and Provorov.
I guess, but I was thinking that their franchise guys are Wheeler and maybe Byfuglien (and Laine, but he hasn’t been great recently).

Then again, Toronto already has Matthews, Tavares, and Marner, so I guess my point is that you’re right.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's kind of true. When Colton Parayko became a regular in 2016, Shatty had fewer 5v5 icetime than he and Pietrangelo. The difference between he and Parayko was miniscule though. Probably depends on the situation like if it was a dzone or ozone draw and the score.

He also got less ice time than John Carlson and Matt Niskanen when he was in Washington, especially in the playoffs.
What about the four seasons he played in St. Louis before Parayko? Are we just pretending those didn't happen?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He had a few bad plays defensively, but he also probably created more scoring chacnes at the other end than any other player on the Rangers. I think Shatty was our best D today (fewer ups but also fewer downs), but I still wouldn't call it a bad game by Tony and I'd still say he was one of our better players tonight.
Tony had that one obvious defensive lapse where he went around the net instead of guarding the net, leading to the Malkin goal, but other than that and a few smaller mistakes, he was very good. I think he was matched up against the Malkin line for most of the game. Not an easy task at all, especially since Malkin was feeling it.

As with Shattenkirk, he had a so-so game. He made some mistakes defensively and made a couple bad decisions with and without the puck, but did well on offense. And I’m not sure what the metrics say, but it seems to me that he’s being sheltered.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No I obviously don't dispute that, I assumed we were talking about the latter part of his STL tenure

The quote was that he "didn't get top 4 minutes" and he sure as shit did for most of his career.

Since 2010, only 52 defensemen have played more than Shattenkirk. While more recent entrees into the league haven't had a chance to surpass him yet, that still places him closer to top pair than bottom pair.

The idea that the Rangers overuse him compared to how he's played throughout his career is a meme. It's just a weird excuse to explain why he's bad when he really hasn't been. His powerplay production is disappointing, I'll give you that, but at even strength, he's been pretty much to the tee as advertised. Probably a little better.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can list you a few defensemen who had like 9 hits in their career. They're all in the Hall of Fame.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm half serious though. I think Chytil's body language is poor. I don't think his compete level is necessarily poor but I could see where you would get that impression.

He slumps when he gets beat. Coaches like to see guys run and dive around like idiots when they get beat. Does it make a difference? Probably not, but it'll keep him in the lineup.

In any profession, you have to learn how to please the superiors without actually changing anything of substance.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not really. If we are counting hits, I prefer to count the ones that result in puck possession. But that's not the case
Thats the ones I'm referring to. Big forward bodies that can skate and hit dmen will wear them down in a playoff series and create turnovers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thats the ones I'm referring to. Big forward bodies that can skate and hit dmen will wear them down in a playoff series and create turnovers.

I am not saying hits are not necessary, but the stat is useless. It counts every time a player checks an opponent. But it doesn't always result in something positive.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Forechecking matters. Not hits.
Forechecking matters more for sure. But hitting in the playoffs isn't without merit. Not as much in the past but there is still a physical element to playoff hockey.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am not saying hits are not necessary, but the stat is useless. It counts every time a player checks an opponent. But it doesn't always result in something positive.
Not wishing injury on anyone It could result in something positive when a Tom Wilson type hits the oppositions best defenseman causing him to play at 50 percent the rest of the series.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not wishing injury on anyone It could result in something positive when a Tom Wilson type hits the oppositions best defenseman causing him to play at 50 percent the rest of the series.

Well, with that attitude, you may as well go knee-to-knee then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad