Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Pittsburgh | 2/17/19 - 12:30 PM - NBC

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
100%, positively, no doubt about it, NOPE. Not a chance. Not in a million years. He’s been my favorite player in the NHL for a while.

I think you'd be in the very small minority there.

NYR almost had EP40 but VAN took him right before at 6. DeAngelo is good but he'll never be a franchise player or changer, there is a pretty good chance at grabbing a franchise changer at 7.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think you'd be in the very small minority there.

NYR almost had EP40 but VAN took him right before at 6. DeAngelo is good but he'll never be a franchise player or changer, there is a pretty good chance at grabbing a franchise changer at 7.
There really isn’t a good chance at grabbing a franchise changer at 7. Pettersson is the exception, not the rule (and he wasn’t even a #7 pick).

I don’t care if I’m in the minority, though. DeAngelo is still young, still has a ton of upside, and at the very least, he’s a good NHL player. At #7, you get a mystery. There’s a high chance that the player doesn’t become an impact guy. There’s also a chance he won’t even make the NHL.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
But that’s still a myth. He made one obvious defensive mistake today that led to a goal, but for the most part, he’s better defensively than pretty much all of our defensemen. He gets criticized for his defense (even though it’s pretty good), while other defensemen who are worse get a pass? And those defensemen can’t even provide 10% of ADA’s offense.

I think this board is very reactionary, and people make incorrect assumptions after one game, one goal, one play, etc. because it’s fresh in their minds.
Being better than our other defensemen doesn't make him good at defending. Like I said I like him, you're kinda barking up the wrong choir here (yes intentionally messed that up)

Reactions: Larrybiv

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rough outing for DeAngelo :(

Just speculating, but I wonder if Kreider is a little banged up. Played decent enough, but something about him just didn't look right. Hard to explain.

Reactions: leetch99

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Just speculating, but I wonder if Kreider is a little banged up. Played decent enough, but something about him just didn't look right. Hard to explain.
I don't know if its his equipment but it looks like he favors his right elbow... like he was adjusting his elbow pad using his body and he has been doing it a lot

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

I had a similar feeling after this game - I just hope nothing serious like last year.. Maybe they should rest him until TDL is over if Jeff have plans to move him - refering to trade rumors from TSN.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There really isn’t a good chance at grabbing a franchise changer at 7. Pettersson is the exception, not the rule (and he wasn’t even a #7 pick).

I don’t care if I’m in the minority, though. DeAngelo is still young, still has a ton of upside, and at the very least, he’s a good NHL player. At #7, you get a mystery. There’s a very high chance that the player doesn’t become an impact guy. There’s a good chance he won’t even make the NHL.

Sheifele
Couturier
Hamilton

Dumba
Pouliot
Trouba

Nurse
Ristonlainen
Horvat

Fleury
W.Nylander
Ehlers

Provorov
Werenski
Meier

Keller
A.Nylander
Sergachev

Picks 7-9 from 2011-2016 drafts....Most of the players selected are legitimate NHL players and 'impact' players. Definitely more than a few franchise players there too.

So the 7th pick they got from ARI was probably more valuable than DeAngelo was/is (it's impossible to quantify the value). LA which might be a bad pick (hopefully not though), actually looks more like the exception than the rule.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The rather stupendous point gathering from our first line in the last 15 games :

Kreider : 4 goals, 9 assists (13 points).
Zucc : 7 goals, 15 assists (22 points. Only 14 games as he didn't play against Philly on the 29th of January)
Ziba : 14 goals, 9 assists (23 points).

That is just a stupidly high production.. if only they could have kept that up all season, they'd be 100 point players...lol

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Being better than our other defensemen doesn't make him good at defending. Like I said I like him, you're kinda barking up the wrong choir here (yes intentionally messed that up)
Ok fine, it doesn’t make him good, because our defense sucks, but at the very least he’s league average.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

He had a few bad plays defensively, but he also probably created more scoring chacnes at the other end than any other player on the Rangers. I think Shatty was our best D today (fewer ups but also fewer downs), but I still wouldn't call it a bad game by Tony and I'd still say he was one of our better players tonight.

Reactions: Machinehead

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Sheifele
Couturier
Hamilton

Dumba
Pouliot
Trouba

Nurse
Ristonlainen
Horvat

Fleury
W.Nylander
Ehlers

Provorov
Werenski
Meier

Keller
A.Nylander
Sergachev

Picks 7-9 from 2011-2016 drafts....Most of the players selected are legitimate NHL players and 'impact' players. Definitely more than a few franchise players there too.

So the 7th pick they got from ARI was probably more valuable than DeAngelo was/is (it's impossible to quantify the value). LA which might be a bad pick (hopefully not though), actually looks more like the exception than the rule.
Other than (maybe) Provorov and William Nylander, those guys are not franchise players. Also, there are some guys there that we don’t know if they will be impact players yet. And are you sure those are all 7th overall picks?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The rather stupendous point gathering from our first line in the last 15 games :

Kreider : 4 goals, 9 assists (13 points).
Zucc : 7 goals, 15 assists (22 points. Only 14 games as he didn't play against Philly on the 29th of January)
Ziba : 14 goals, 9 assists (23 points).

That is just a stupidly high production.. if only they could have kept that up all season, they'd be 100 point players...lol

Yes I hope Mika can continue to produce if Zucc is moved for rental value at this TDL and that is part of a risk evaluation. However a late 2019/2020 1st pick rental value will return fire power in the future as well.

NBC commentators mentioned earlier today that Mika line is the most dangerous line now in NHL. :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He lost Letang on the go ahead goal. He had a pretty good backcheck earlier in the game though. We'll see.

Pregame people on Twitter were losing their **** with Chytil taking 4th line rushes, with Claesson on the 3rd, but as as soon as the game started he was on the third line. People just need to relax.

If history is any indication, That play on the Letang goal is what gets Chytil scratched. Because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken, showing that "effort"

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is not true

It's kind of true. When Colton Parayko became a regular in 2016, Shatty had fewer 5v5 icetime than he and Pietrangelo. The difference between he and Parayko was miniscule though. Probably depends on the situation like if it was a dzone or ozone draw and the score.

He also got less ice time than John Carlson and Matt Niskanen when he was in Washington, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
It's kind of true. When Colton Parayko became a regular in 2016, Shatty had fewer 5v5 icetime than he and Pietrangelo. The difference between he and Parayko was miniscule though. Probably depends on the situation like if it was a dzone or ozone draw and the score.

He also got less ice time than John Carlson and Matt Niskanen when he was in Washington, especially in the playoffs.
Thank you for providing the facts while I was away

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad