Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Pittsburgh | 2/17/19 - 12:30 PM - NBC

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Didn't quit. We saw the skill some of our guys have. That 6 on 5 was awesome (when do we say that with this team) definitely some positives. And not getting two meaningless points in the process.
I don’t disagree with your greater point, but was that 6-on-5 “awesome”? I mean...they wasted 60 seconds not getting the puck towards the net with bodies, only to finally score with 18 seconds left and no hope of winning. There’s no awareness with this team sometimes. Just fire the puck towards traffic with 60 seconds left, stop f***ing passing around the perimeter and killing time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t disagree with your greater point, but was that 6-on-5 “awesome”? I mean...they wasted 60 seconds not getting the puck towards the net with bodies, only to finally score with 18 seconds left and no hope of winning. There’s no awareness with this team sometimes. Just fire the puck towards traffic with 60 seconds left, stop ****ing passing around the perimeter and killing time.

And if they do that, people will complain that "all their shots get blocked"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers since the ASB are interesting...

4-5-1 with pretty strong analytics. Definitely some regression here record wise from all the points they banked earlier in the season (They're still 5 points higher than they should be if all things were equal), but they've also faced 8(!) back ups since then have have been rested while their opponent plays the tail end of B2b's 6 times!

level of competition has been a mixed bag but I'd surmise that it's probably above average during that time span, though the rest days even that out a bit.

This is like the polar opposite of the 2014-15 season where it seemed like the Rangers played every night during the stretch run.

Who ever is in charge of making the schedule deserves a swift kick in the nards.

I don’t disagree with your greater point, but was that 6-on-5 “awesome”? I mean...they wasted 60 seconds not getting the puck towards the net with bodies, only to finally score with 18 seconds left and no hope of winning. There’s no awareness with this team sometimes. Just fire the puck towards traffic with 60 seconds left, stop ****ing passing around the perimeter and killing time.

I mean if it were a one goal game before that, people would be splooging themselves over how amazing that whole sequence was.

I'll take what they did over throwing hail marys at the net that end up getting intercepted and dunked on for a freebie against.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Rangers since the ASB are interesting...

4-5-1 with pretty strong analytics. Definitely some regression here record wise from all the points they banked earlier in the season (They're still 5 points higher than they should be if all things were equal), but they've also faced 8(!) back ups since then have have been rested while their opponent plays the tail end of B2b's 6 times!

level of competition has been a mixed bag but I'd surmise that it's probably above average during that time span, though the rest days even that out a bit.

This is like the polar opposite of the 2014-15 season where it seemed like the Rangers played every night during the stretch run.

Who ever is in charge of making the schedule deserves a swift kick in the nards.

I mean if it were a one goal game before that, people would be splooging themselves over how amazing that whole sequence was.

I'll take what they did over throwing hail marys at the net that end up getting intercepted and dunked on for a freebie against.

From a business perspective, Bettman has showed a certain genius with the "loser point" era appearance of the standings.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If the hit doesn't result in almost immediate possession of the puck for your team, it's kinda useless. Most times when you hit the puck carrier, the opposing team just picks it back up against and keeps going. Might as well use your time better and pick-pocket the puck carrier, or knock the puck off their stick and let their momentum carry themselves away from the puck. :dunno:

Also, if you're hitting more, it means you have the puck a lot less than the opponent. And that's never a good thing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Forechecking matters more for sure. But hitting in the playoffs isn't without merit. Not as much in the past but there is still a physical element to playoff hockey.
There's also a "shooting more than the other team wins games" element to playoff hockey.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
If the hit doesn't result in almost immediate possession of the puck for your team, it's kinda useless. Most times when you hit the puck carrier, the opposing team just picks it back up against and keeps going. Might as well use your time better and pick-pocket the puck carrier, or knock the puck off their stick and let their momentum carry themselves away from the puck. :dunno:

Also, if you're hitting more, it means you have the puck a lot less than the opponent. And that's never a good thing.

Hitting has a few effects that don't necessarily lead to possession for your team.

It makes players get rid of a puck faster which can lead to passes off their mark (not necessarily loss of possession, but perhaps a scoring chance).

Hits can wear down players over the duration of the game.

Hits can make players timid for potential future contact. I don't know if Chytil got hit earlier, but there was a play in the third when he should have clearly been the first man to the puck passed around the boards, but he basically let up to not get hit. He let the Penguin get to the puck first and we lost possession of the puck.

Reactions: bl02

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Hitting has a few effects that don't necessarily lead to possession for your team.

It makes players get rid of a puck faster which can lead to passes off their mark (not necessarily loss of possession, but perhaps a scoring chance).

Hits can make players timid for potential future contact. I don't know if Chytil got hit earlier, but there was a play in the third when he should have clearly been the first man to the puck passed around the boards, but he basically let up to not get hit. He let the Penguin get to the puck first and we lost possession of the puck.

It really is a brave new world when you need to explain the effects of hitting in North American to fans of a North American Ice Hockey team.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

No, that's been his game lately.

Even if he's the first to get to the puck, he still has the puck handling issues

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Ever skate the gauntlet ?

No, my neanderthal coaches did all kinds of hitting drills, but not skating through a team. Some poor sucker had to skate back into the corner for the puck and the other lucky guy got to drive him into the boards. lol. "transfer power, drive through the hips". No concussions back in those days. Just smelling salts. Needed your head on straight so that you could go home that night and watch the Flyers and Rangers beat each other senseless. Well mostly the Flyers beating on the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad