Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Pittsburgh | 2/17/19 - 12:30 PM - NBC

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
No, my neanderthal coaches did all kinds of hitting drills, but not skating through a team. Some poor sucker had to skate back into the corner for the puck and the other lucky guy got to drive him into the boards. lol. "transfer power, drive through the hips". No concussions back in those days. Just smelling salts. Needed your head on straight so that you could go home that night and watch the Flyers and Rangers beat each other senseless. Well mostly the Flyers beating on the Rangers.

Yeah 1v1 FvD corner drill.

I did skate the gauntlet as a freshman. Not fun

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Here's something you'll like even more...

Zucc stats in this game, 2 goals, 8 shots on goal (team lead), time on ice 24:44 (team lead).

But...fluffy said he's declining :laugh:
New rule, you can only post if it's not about f***ing zuccarello... please

Reactions: Rongomania

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Forechecking matters more for sure. But hitting in the playoffs isn't without merit. Not as much in the past but there is still a physical element to playoff hockey.
Yes, once upon a time.....there were PO strategies of trying to "wear down" a team, maybe even intimidate opponent.
Something that actually attracted me to the sport. A combination of physicality and skill. That only the NFL barely comes close to.

Reactions: bl02

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don’t disagree with your greater point, but was that 6-on-5 “awesome”? I mean...they wasted 60 seconds not getting the puck towards the net with bodies, only to finally score with 18 seconds left and no hope of winning. There’s no awareness with this team sometimes. Just fire the puck towards traffic with 60 seconds left, stop ****ing passing around the perimeter and killing time.
If you want to WIN the game, yes.......it was ridiculously stupid.
But......if you want to pad the stats, while ultimately getting what you NEED (a loss) then it was some good on ice practice against real competition. Serves well in the future. Lol

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If the hit doesn't result in almost immediate possession of the puck for your team, it's kinda useless. Most times when you hit the puck carrier, the opposing team just picks it back up against and keeps going. Might as well use your time better and pick-pocket the puck carrier, or knock the puck off their stick and let their momentum carry themselves away from the puck. :dunno:

Also, if you're hitting more, it means you have the puck a lot less than the opponent. And that's never a good thing.

And on the flip side, if you're getting hit more.......that's not good either. Sometimes it hurts.

Idea.......Just take hitting out of the game. That will settle the issue.
Hey, the NFL doesn't allow hitting the QB. And THAT used to be what the whole sport was mainly about. What a joke of a sport.
Dont want the NHL to follow suit. Lets all just put panties on.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If he were a Rangers announcer/commentator, call it what you will......I really might have no choice but to dismiss hockey from my agenda. Maybe take up golf. :sarcasm:

It absolutely drives me insane! Listening to his innate ability of spewing irrational, unnecessary drivel about something that gives NOTHING relative to what we are watching. Literally NO relevancy at all. Is it just me?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
lol, hits are a garbage stat. There's good hits and bad hits. For example, Tanner Glass would hit a puck carrier a second or two after releasing the puck and making a play up the ice and it would do absolutely nothing except get him caught behind the play.

Guys usually roll or fight off Pionk when he hits, he does not separate men from pucks very well. McDonagh in his prime was the king of separating guys from the puck down low or in 1on1 defense, as an example of a useful hitter.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
good solid loss

ADA isnt the problem people.

kid is skilled.
And you're saying this as if there's a contingent of people who disagree. But is there? Unless the gdt was different from the way the ada thread is then the answer is no. All discussion about his flaw has been about snipping some poor habits in the bud so he can continue to maximize his obvious talent. Why pretend like there are people here arguing that he sucks?

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It doesn't bother me this game, but this guy shouldn't be allowed near a Pens game ever again. I mean....even if there's nothing nefarious, you have to think the league would want to avoid controversy.
You know, just because the numbers indicate that the Pens have an awesome record when this ref calls the game, doesn't mean anything "fishy" is going on. The Pens have a really good record over the years. So, it really could be a coincidence that it is "that good". Conversely, if the Pens were a perennial shit show......and he had that record, well then......."we have problems in Houston" or whatever that saying is. Lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And you're saying this as if there's a contingent of people who disagree. But is there? Unless the gdt was different from the way the ada thread is then the answer is no. All discussion about his flaw has been about snipping some poor habits in the bud so he can continue to maximize his obvious talent. Why pretend like there are people here arguing that he sucks?
He obviously is sensitive. I guess stating a fact, that we all know. Also, could be one of those that prefer Pionk, and that is okay......but, we really shouldnt be taking sides here. We should wish BOTH to do well. Right?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If hockey on NBC was professionally presented, he certainly would be sanctioned for the comment and the bias.

The problem is, no matter what some here think (chosen for one), the NBC broadcasts are pro-Penguins. It’s always been that way. It’s pretty blatant and pretty disgusting.

Sanctions? The only thing that will satiate the negative feelings we have for that unprofessional behavior, is a good old firing! One could dream.

I need some hide it's really effecting my day.....

Ok not really even a little but still. Lol

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Intitially, when i heard of the official "apologizing" for his reffing the 1st two periods, i thought it was a joke. Seriously.

Apologizing for a missed call is one thing, apologizing for 2 periods.......is another.

If refs are going to bad like that, leading us to a loss......well, this is the year I have no problem with it. But still all in all, does it surprise ANYONE that the Pens were the recipients?
Btw, did that official apologize for that blown interference in Rams/Saints NFC championship game? Never in my life seen such a blatant NON-CALL with him standing right there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don’t disagree with your greater point, but was that 6-on-5 “awesome”? I mean...they wasted 60 seconds not getting the puck towards the net with bodies, only to finally score with 18 seconds left and no hope of winning. There’s no awareness with this team sometimes. Just fire the puck towards traffic with 60 seconds left, stop ****ing passing around the perimeter and killing time.

blindly firing the puck into traffic over and over is what leads to blocked shots and easy clears by the other team. Even if you're looking for deflections or screens, you gotta move the other team around first to open up some lanes so the puck can even get towards the net in the first place, and that can take time and isn't just about firing away

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
blindly firing the puck into traffic over and over is what leads to blocked shots and easy clears by the other team. Even if you're looking for deflections or screens, you gotta move the other team around first to open up some lanes so the puck can even get towards the net in the first place, and that can take time and isn't just about firing away
Fair enough...but you're down by two. At some point, you just need to take your chances with getting the puck in traffic. They had puck possession from about 1:30 and didn't even attempt a shot until about 30 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad