HF Habs: The Positivity Thread (Part II)...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Ya, Price was bad, and so was that D, and pretty much the rest of the team.
As for Nieimi, you realize his .929 is a career high? A tad silly to prorate this over an 82 game season. You have to go back to his U20 days for when he finished with a higher sv%.

But not sure how you're trying to prove that the D wasn't to blame when a .929% only gets you 18pts out of 32...that's freaking bad dude.

A .929% only getting 18 points out of 32 was probably more on the offense but whatever man, we finally agreed on something, Price was bad! :cheers:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I like to stay within the realm of reality. Having a bad year, meaning finishing low, would be a terrific thing.
That coupled with improvement from youngsters, Bouchard putting it good foundation in AHL, us moving Patches for terrific return and seeing Weber back in full form by January.
I'm 100% with you on this...

But it's a bit of a catch-22, because if the youngsters improve like we want them too, it'll be "tough" to finish low.

But i'll take a pick in the #10-15 range if it means guys like Drouin, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Hudon, De la Rose, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Lernout, all improved this coming year.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm 100% with you on this...

But it's a bit of a catch-22, because if the youngsters improve like we want them too, it'll be "tough" to finish low.

But i'll take a pick in the #10-15 range if it means guys like Drouin, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Hudon, De la Rose, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Lernout, all improved this coming year.
Disagree about it being a catch 22.
I don't expect much out of the guys you mentioned. Drouin is the only one with some serious talent but if even guys like McDavid and Drai can't get bad teams out the gutter, it certainly won't be Drouin and Scherbak.
With Patches likely on his way out and Weber set to miss half the year, even if those kids do well, I think we can still finish quite low.
I mean, guys like Lek-Hudon-DLR..they're bottom 6 guys so their impact won't be big. Juulsen I see as a bottom pairing guy...

So I think we can still finish at the bottom with our kids doing well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A .929% only getting 18 points out of 32 was probably more on the offense but whatever man, we finally agreed on something, Price was bad! :cheers:

It was already obvious how much the forwards can suffer from a lack of puck movers from the back end before last season, but if anybody had doubts then, it should be crystal clear by now.
.929% but still allowed about 2.5G per game, that ain't good.
Of course, this isn't to say our forwards also didn't suck, but we didn't improve them a whole lot this summer, if at all.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't expect much out of the guys you mentioned. Drouin is the only one with some serious talent but if even guys like McDavid and Drai can't get bad teams out the gutter, it certainly won't be Drouin and Scherbak.
With Patches likely on his way out and Weber set to miss half the year, even if those kids do well, I think we can still finish quite low.
I mean, guys like Lek-Hudon-DLR..they're bottom 6 guys so their impact won't be big. Juulsen I see as a bottom pairing guy...

1 more win per month last year and the Habs are picking in the #10-12 range...the gap isn't that big.

8pts in the standings separated the Montreal Canadiens (who drafted #4) and the New York Islanders (who drafted #11)

So it is quite possible that even a marginal improvement from the players I mentions, pushes the Habs out of the bottom 3-5

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It was already obvious how much the forwards can suffer from a lack of puck movers from the back end before last season, but if anybody had doubts then, it should be crystal clear by now.
.929% but still allowed about 2.5G per game, that ain't good.
Of course, this isn't to say our forwards also didn't suck, but we didn't improve them a whole lot this summer, if at all.

Lack of puck movers you say? How can you explain this?

This team managed to get more shots towards the net and on the net, generate more scoring chances and more high danger scoring chances in 17/18 than in 16/17 and in 15/16 while there was no transition apparently?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lack of puck movers you say? How can you explain this?

This team managed to get more shots towards the net and on the net, generate more scoring chances and more high danger scoring chances in 17/18 than in 16/17 and in 15/16 while there was no transition apparently?
Precisely why you don't just look at stats. But again, say you're right, our offense hasn't improved anyways.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1 more win per month last year and the Habs are picking in the #10-12 range...the gap isn't that big.

8pts in the standings separated the Montreal Canadiens (who drafted #4) and the New York Islanders (who drafted #11)

So it is quite possible that even a marginal improvement from the players I mentions, pushes the Habs out of the bottom 3-5

Sure, assuming every other team stays the same. I suppose it's not impossible, but I expect us to be worse, unless Price decides to go miracle mode again.

Reactions: 417

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Precisely why you don't just look at stats. But again, say you're right, our offense hasn't improved anyways.

Sure, looking at the games with an already prefabricated biased opinion is way much better... f*** stats! Eagle eye right here!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sure, looking at the games with an already prefabricated biased opinion is way much better... **** stats! Eagle eye right here!
Euh...okay sure man, we were good at generating offense if that's what you want to go for.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Euh...okay sure man, we were good at generating offense if that's what you want to go for.

I mean the stats are there...

High dangers chances generated:

15/16 689
16/17 746
17/18 768

Maybe it has something to do with Julien's system...

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Watch out for Hudon, he's a good one and definitely not some average bottom six guy.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean the stats are there...

High dangers chances generated:

15/16 689
16/17 746
17/18 768

Maybe it has something to do with Julien's system...
Considering we were playing like crap under Therrien where people constantly brought up the complete lack of transitional game, I am not quite sure what it is you're proving here.

Reactions: Peanut

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Considering we were playing like crap under Therrien where people constantly brought up the complete lack of transitional game, I am not quite sure what it is you're proving here.
I actually suggested it in the same post if you're blind..

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
At least we're not last.

cut.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I actually suggested it in the same post if you're blind..
Yes you suggested coaching, which again, would back up what I was saying...so as I said, not sure what you're trying to prove.
This started because I told you stats can be misleading and we shouldn't look at them in a bubble.

Could be the system, could be that teams just didn't particularly played hard against us, could be that teams opened up a lot as they're not scared of letting DLR Lek Hudon or the likes get chances, could be a bunch of things that lead to us having more scoring chances. Having more scoring chances than previous 2 seasons isn t some difficult feat seeing how we've been struggling to score for quite some time and we totally sucked missing the POs 2 seasons ago as well.

The lack of puck moving Dman hurts us in that regard. You bringing up scoring chances proved nothing to dispute this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Care to elaborate?
I think he lacks the skills to become that consistent top 6 player.
Decent defensively, not a big shot, not big speed, decent combativeness, isn t particularly good at carrying the puck but not bad either.
He's a decent player from what I've seen, I don't think he is going to be a top 6.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think he lacks the skills to become that consistent top 6 player.
Decent defensively, not a big shot, not big speed, decent combativeness, isn t particularly good at carrying the puck but not bad either.
He's a decent player from what I've seen, I don't think he is going to be a top 6.

He is actually very good at carrying the puck, dude has great hands and is surprisingly strong for his size. An excellent playmaker and defensively sound, I think he could be a centre somewhere down the road. Skating is the major issue, always has been, but he took a big step forward last year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He is actually very good at carrying the puck, dude has great hands and is surprisingly strong for his size. An excellent playmaker and defensively sound, I think he could be a centre somewhere down the road. Skating is the major issue, always has been, but he took a big step forward last year.
Gonna have to disagree with all you said. A great playmaker is what I say of Drouin. So if Hudon is an excellent one what does that make of Drouin? Getzlaf? Thornton?
Top 6~9 ceiling to me. At best he becomes a 40~45pt guy. Likely scenario is he becomes a 30~40pt 3rd liner, which would be great.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Gonna have to disagree with all you said. A great playmaker is what I say of Drouin. So if Hudon is an excellent one what does that make of Drouin? Getzlaf? Thornton?
Top 6~9 ceiling to me. At best he becomes a 40~45pt guy. Likely scenario is he becomes a 30~40pt 3rd liner, which would be great.

We'll see. I don't know what you're trying to gain from sabotaging a positivity thread but the pessimism you're possessing is not even realistic. And no, Drouin is not like Getzlaf, lol.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We'll see. I don't know what you're trying to gain from sabotaging a positivity thread but the pessimism you're possessing is not even realistic. And no, Drouin is not like Getzlaf, lol.
I don't get this silliness. So because I don't view Hudon as someone with ''excellent hands'' that means I'm a pessimist? What the hell is going on with some of you posters. What happened in your lives to be so freaking sensitive? You must be from the participation trophy era..

I said I see Hudon as a 30-40pt guy, with a ceiling of 40-45pt as a 6-9 guy. How in the freaking hell is this pessimism? If he becomes a top 6 50pt guy, then awesome man. But we are not talking about what would be great, I was saying what I expect out of the kid and there was absolutely nothing wrong with what I said.

I did not say Drouin is like Getzlaf. I said if Hudon is excellent, what does that make of Drouin, who's clearly a more skilled puck mover, and Getzlaf-Thornton who are above Drouin themselves, what would we say of them?

If I had said Hudon sucks balls, he's going to have 2 more years in the NHL and be sent back down to the AHL, that would be pessismism. Expecting him to be a reliable 3rd center putting up 30-40, as I said, would be great. Nothing pessimistic about that.

Reactions: Peanut and Bryson

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I don't get this silliness. So because I don't view Hudon as someone with ''excellent hands'' that means I'm a pessimist? What the hell is going on with some of you posters. What happened in your lives to be so freaking sensitive? You must be from the participation trophy era..

I said I see Hudon as a 30-40pt guy, with a ceiling of 40-45pt as a 6-9 guy. How in the freaking hell is this pessimism? If he becomes a top 6 50pt guy, then awesome man. But we are not talking about what would be great, I was saying what I expect out of the kid and there was absolutely nothing wrong with what I said.

I did not say Drouin is like Getzlaf. I said if Hudon is excellent, what does that make of Drouin, who's clearly a more skilled puck mover, and Getzlaf-Thornton who are above Drouin themselves, what would we say of them?

If I had said Hudon sucks balls, he's going to have 2 more years in the NHL and be sent back down to the AHL, that would be pessismism. Expecting him to be a reliable 3rd center putting up 30-40, as I said, would be great. Nothing pessimistic about that.

I wasn't referring to just this Hudon discussion we were having but you seem to have a grand total of zero positive things to say about anything considering this franchise. Nothing personal, I'm also sick of MB, but it seems like this board has lost all hope of this franchise ever doing anything right which is really tiring to watch. If you see Hudon as a possible 40-45pt guy then great, I agree that he certainly could be that, but you were clearly penciling him to be a bottom sixer which means you doubt he's going to reach anything close to his ceiling, and that's pessimism. As for Drouin, he's definitely more skilled but has different flaws in his game.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I wasn't referring to just this Hudon discussion we were having but you seem to have a grand total of zero positive things to say about anything considering this franchise. Nothing personal, I'm also sick of MB, but it seems like this board has lost all hope of this franchise ever doing anything right which is really tiring to watch. If you see Hudon as a possible 40-45pt guy then great, I agree that he certainly could be that, but you were clearly penciling him to be a bottom sixer which means you doubt he's going to reach anything close to his ceiling, and that's pessimism. As for Drouin, he's definitely more skilled but has different flaws in his game.

Most NHLers do not reach their ceilings, that's a fact. Nothing pessimistic about that. If the majority of players would hit their ceilings, then pretty much every prospect drafted would make the NHL.
I mean, welcome to reality buddy. I guess, it's easier to just paint everyone who isn't pretending like things are all peachy with a brush of pessimism, but it's silly.
Newsflash, the Montreal Canadiens are in a very bleak situation, just because people call it as it is do not make them negative or pessimistic.

There is nothing pessimistic about calling Hudon a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Peanut and Bryson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad