HF Habs: The Positivity Thread (Part II)...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we end up tanking, our prospect pool will look insane next summer.

Pacioretty should get us a 1st rounder +
Byron for a 2nd rounder
Plekanec for a 2nd rounder
Guys like Niemi, Benn, Schlemko for 3rd/4th/5th round picks.

That would give us two 1st rounders (one that could be top 10), three 2nd round picks and several mid-late picks.
In total, that would be 15 picks.

Last draft we had 11 picks.

So we would end up picking 26 players over 2 drafts. That's an insane amount. Almost the equivalent of 4 drafts. A full rebuild in 2 drafts basically.

Reactions: sharks9

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So what will everyone do if the Habs actually have a good season this year.

Will you guys watch more, be invested more?

Be pissed at the team?

More anger? Less anger?

EDIT

Since some are asking whats a "good season", it would be the habs being in the top 3 of the division pretty much all season long.

I won't take playoffs into account since I am talking about the reaction during the season.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Whats the definition of a good season? If it means winning the division only to lose in the first round, then I will be upset because we still have MANY MANY issues but with a much lower pick. Contrary to what Bergevin says, you can't just put together a team with many holes and pray that they make the playoffs while having a "anything can happen in the playoffs" mentality.

Brando

May 21, 2017
It's easy to say that you want this team to lose as much as possible right now but if this team starts miraculously winning games, that narrative will change dramatically to full on support of a playoff push.

I'm pretty sure Devils and Avs fans weren't expecting to make the playoffs this year but they sure as hell weren't angry that they did. Things can change so dramatically in this league.

That being said, I don't think this team will even come close to sniffing a playoff spot this year.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Would be interesting to see folks definition of a `good`season.

The expectation bar is pretty low right now.

A good season to me would be that some of the young players establish themselves and take a step forward, proving they will be part of a good team down the road.

I think the prospect group needs upgrading so a playoff finish may not help that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hard to say what the prospect pool will look like in a year, there's still a major lack of high end talent and I don't think 1 more draft will fix that.

I also don't think Pleks gets a 2nd rounder again unless he plays better then I expect and gets more TOI then I hope. I expect Niemi to struggle, but I can't figure out how he was good and Price sucked. It's like bizzaro world as Niemi has sucked and Price is usually great. I would expect things to return to more of the norm. In fact I could see Lindgren stealing Niemi's job at some point, they can send Niemi to Laval to backup McNiven if that happens. Benn sucks so I'd be surprised if he gets a 5th but at TD you never know what team will overpay. I actually think Schlemko is decent and will be better now that he's healthy. With the Weber injury, I could see him getting top 4 ice time and if he does well maybe we could get a 3rd or so for him.

But I think this team does a good bit better then last year. I just can't picture Price not being much better, although we need to see how the defense shapes up. When Weber is back, how much will losing a full year impact his speed and his play? What do they do with Mete/Juulsen who need to improve their offensive games badly. I think if you put Reilly with Weber they will do well together as he can move the puck but sucks in his own end where Weber could help cover some of those mistakes.

The big question is Pac and what happens there. Got to nail that trade and we badly need to move a winger or two to free up space.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Still like the AHL move to Laval, one of the best décisions they have made in recent times.

Now they just have to fill it with a lot of good young talent and nurture them.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I will be rooting for the team to win every game. I don’t have the ability to root to lose.
The way I see it, if this team is good enough to battle for a playoff spot, with a very young roster, the future is brighter than what most here think. If this team sucks and is in last place all year, the future is along way off.
If Drouin can have a better year, Domi shakes off last year, Lehkonen has a solid season, Hudon, Mete, Juulsen, Reilly, Armia, show they are as good as we hope this team will have a good year. I know that’s a lot of “ifs” to happen, but in August, I am the most positive I can be

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
So what will everyone do if the Habs actually have a good season this year.

Will you guys watch more, be invested more?

Be pissed at the team?

More anger? Less anger?

EDIT

Since some are asking whats a "good season", it would be the habs being in the top 3 of the division pretty much all season long.

I won't take playoffs into account since I am talking about the reaction during the season.

If the Habs are in bottom 3, but are actually playing the kids (as opposed to playing Pleks as C over DLR for no apparent reason), then I will actually follow a little. I can appreciate playing youth and seeing what they have all while going for a top pick.

If they are a middle of the pack team, then I will be completely turned off. I'm not too worried about this though :)

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It's easy to say that you want this team to lose as much as possible right now but if this team starts miraculously winning games, that narrative will change dramatically to full on support of a playoff push.

I'm pretty sure Devils and Avs fans weren't expecting to make the playoffs this year but they sure as hell weren't angry that they did. Things can change so dramatically in this league.

That being said, I don't think this team will even come close to sniffing a playoff spot this year.

You could still do like St. Louis did last season and trade away guys that aren't part of the future even though you are battling for a playoffs spot.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Still like the AHL move to Laval, one of the best décisions they have made in recent times.

Now they just have to fill it with a lot of good young talent and nurture them.

This year will have some interesting guys though no one truly exciting. Maybe Fleury and Evans. Next couple years will be better. We'll likely have a lot of pro graduates out of this last draft class. 2 years from now will be fun.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Whats the definition of a good season? If it means winning the division only to lose in the first round, then I will be upset because we still have MANY MANY issues but with a much lower pick. Contrary to what Bergevin says, you can't just put together a team with many holes and pray that they make the playoffs while having a "anything can happen in the playoffs" mentality.

Honestly, I want to get a better pick and rebuild but I disagree with this.

After everything people have said about the habs in that we're a bottom feeder and all that, making the playoffs would be a success on that front at least.

A short term win but not a long term one.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
This year will have some interesting guys though no one truly exciting. Maybe Fleury and Evans. Next couple years will be better. We'll likely have a lot of pro graduates out of this last draft class. 2 years from now will be fun.
Just reading about Johnathan Davidsson, a Columbus prospect who advised that if he doesn`t make the Jackets he will go back to Sweden for the season. The Habs went heavy on Euro prospects early in the draft this year, so don`t know how much time they will end up in the AHL. Lekhonen was able to skip the AHL and make the adjustment to NA hockey, so can be no big deal for some players. I just believe it`s a good idea to get your prospects together if possible. to get some familiarity progressing and learning how to win as a group.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I can just see the posts if the team wins more games than it loses:

&*%$#@, another win! That Bergevin's a tool. Julien is a moron. They can't even properly lose games!

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I can just see the posts if the team wins more games than it loses:

&*%$#@, another win! That Bergevin's a tool. Julien is a moron. They can't even properly lose games!
Not me! I rather come last that come 7th or 8th... honestly the lottery draft was more exciting that a 1st round playoff exit. Especially when we were top 3 it really brought home of winning!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If Price ends the season with something around .930 Sv% and plays around 60 games this team will make the PO next season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Armia for me is a bright spot

Our young forwards will get plenty of icetime

I'm thinking Lehkonen-Plekanec-Armia is going to be the checking line, getting d-zone starts. And I expect them to finish as a + line.

I think this team battles with Boston for 4th in the Atlantic. Behind Tampa, Toronto and Florida. Bergeron is aging and Krejci is no longer elite. It's not inconceivable that Montreal's prospects turn out as good as Boston's, minus Pasternak. Price vs Rask is in Montreal's favour.

Defense is better than Detroit's, even without Weber. Forwards are younger too.

Buffalo has no goaltending and plenty of holes.

Ottawa has Karlsson, Stone and Duchene all heading for UFA. Starting goalie is 37. Highest paid player is a secondary player. That's mismanagement.

I think the Isles, Rangers and Hurricanes will all be worse than Montreal too. Just need Columbus or Philly to fall to attain the playoffs in mediocrity.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If Price ends the season with something around .930 Sv% and plays around 60 games this team will make the PO next season.
Those elite results would require Price getting decent support from the D. Without Weber it's very unlikely. But not impossible. Mete and Juulsen are two interesting wildcards who'll be leaned on more and could have a bigger impact than we're expecting.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Bright side.... when you're at/near the bottom, there's nowhere to go but up, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad