HF Habs: The Positivity Thread (Part II)...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The realistic things to hope for are no serious injuries to the players at all levels, and that our prospects receive professional development and improve their games and skills accordingly.

and that we manage to get a 1st round pick in a trade, and that team wins the loto :) then we can have two top 5 picks!

Reactions: groovejuice

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Is wanting and hoping for your team to be successful considered low standards now?

There is a difference between wanting success , which is not something that needs to be said , we are all fans of this team , of course we want to be successful. However, when the argument is based on everybody on the Habs overachieving and every other team crumbling , while being presented as something that is within the realm of possibility. This is not the case and we are just entertaining delusion at this point...

If you want to believe Habs will surprise that's fine but I don't buy arguments that it's even remotely reasonable to expect such a scenario coming to fruition. I'm really not trying to be a party pooper , I like some of our recent prospects and young players but we are missing pieces that don't come around very often. I can't sit here and see the delusional arguments for why Bergevin may have actually done a good job.

It's been the same story every summer over the last 3 seasons , blind optimism when we should be humble and accept that our team needs a rebuild. Wishing for a competitive team when the pieces aren't there is just going to prolong the suffering.

I want to rip off the bandaid , yes it's going to hurt but in the longterm it will hurt far less than removing it slowly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There is a difference between wanting , which is not something that needs to be said , we are fans of this team , of course we want to be succesful. However, when the argument is based on everybody on the Habs overachieving and every other team crumbling , while being presented as something that is within the realm of possibility. This is not the case and we are just entertaining delusion.

Yet the same opposite delusion, that everybody on the Habs is going to underachieve (again) and no one will improve or progress, is often repeated here and has basically be accepted as the inevitable outcome of the coming year.

If you want to believe Habs will surprise that's fine but I don't buy arguments that it's even remotely reasonable to expect such a scenario coming to fruition. I'm really not trying to be a party pooper , I like some of our recent prospects and young players but we are missing pieces that don't come around very often. I can't sit here and see the delusional arguments for why Bergevin may have actually done a good job.
Well I find it hard to believe they'll be worse - of course, injuries are a factor no one can control.

It's been the same story every summer over the last 3 seasons , blind optimism when we should be humble and accept that our team needs a rebuild. Wishing for a competitive when the pieces aren't there is just going to prolong the summer.

I want to rip off the bandaid , yes it's going to hurt but in the longterm it will hurt far less than removing it slowly.
Hmm...are you talking about THIS board?

You find there's an overwhelming sense of blind optimism here??? You think people who post here have trouble accepting that this team is under a rebuild?

I'm definitely not getting the vibe that too many people here are very hopeful for much of anything here.

But this IS the Positivity Thread...it's supposed to be the only place where very few Habs fans dare dream.

Reactions: scrubadam

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Yet the same opposite delusion, that everybody on the Habs is going to underachieve (again) and no one will improve or progress, is often repeated here and has basically be accepted as the inevitable outcome of the coming year.

Well I find it hard to believe they'll be worse - of course, injuries are a factor no one can control.

Hmm...are you talking about THIS board?

You find there's an overwhelming sense of blind optimism here??? You think people who post here have trouble accepting that this team is under a rebuild?

The vocal minority definetly want to convince us that our team is actually pretty good. Did we not see other teams improve tremendously? What about all the bottom dwellers that are now ready to compete (Fla/Car/Buffalo). It's incorrect to look at our factors withour considering the league around us. We may have better production than last year but that's not saying much , we did afterall produce our worst season in modern hockey.

Did you not see the thread where people are arguing we can squeeze into the playoffs under x/y/z conditions...Makes for a nice chuckle...

I'm sure there will be some bright spots but it's hard to be confident in the direction the team is going as we are still missing elite pieces that are usually only acquired by drafting them.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The vocal minority definetly want to convince us that our team is actually pretty good. Did we not see other teams imorove tremendously , what about all the bottom dwellers that are now ready to compete (Fla/Car/Buffalo). It's incorrect to look at our factors withour considering the league around us.
By "vocal minority" are you referring to that one poster?

I think 98% of the Habs fanbase knows exactly where this team is at and expectations have never been lower. I'm not sure why you're acting like there's a movement out there that's trying to convince folks the Habs are better than they are.

We may have better production than last year but that's not saying much , we did afterall produce our worst season in modern hockey.

Did you not see the thread where people are arguing we can squeeze into the playoffs undo x/y/z conditions...Makes for a nice chuckle...
unlikely? Yes.

Unreasonable? I don't personally think so.

I don't think anyone expected the Devils or Avalanche to make the playoffs...I know no one expected the Knights to reach the Cup finals.+

There are very few Habs fans who have any positive vibes for next year, the very few that do have been exiled into this thread and even still, they're being snuffed out.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Is wanting and hoping for your team to be successful considered low standards now?

It depends on your definition of being successful. For me a successful season would be a top 3 pick with at least Pacioretty, Byron and Plekanec trade for picks and prospect. For you maybe success is making the playoff and be eliminated in 4 or 5 games and draft 16 or 17 overall.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It depends on your definition of being successful. For me a successful season would be a top 3 pick with at least Pacioretty, Byron and Plekanec trade for picks and prospect. For you maybe success is making the playoff and be eliminated in 4 or 5 games and draft 16 or 17 overall.
For me a successful year has less to do with what pick the Habs end up having...and more to do with how the young players in this organization, at all levels, progress.

That's more important to me then where they end up drafting.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What's that? Such a smart comment, Im confused. But I wish you fun and the best for the upcoming season.
If you came to the Habs board, looking to be positive about the team in a thread about being positive...

You came to the wrong place fam

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
By "vocal minority" are you referring to that one poster?

I think 98% of the Habs fanbase knows exactly where this team is at and expectations have never been lower. I'm not sure why you're acting like there's a movement out there that's trying to convince folks the Habs are better than they are.

unlikely? Yes.

Unreasonable? I don't personally think so.

I don't think anyone expected the Devils or Avalanche to make the playoffs...I know no one expected the Knights to reach the Cup finals.+

There are very few Habs fans who have any positive vibes for next year, the very few that do have been exiled into this thread and even still, they're being snuffed out.

Colorado has one of the best offensive players in the game and NJ recently got a 1st overall pick...I don't see how we are comparable.

I don't think it's healthy to discuss scenarios that are extremely unlikely. Especially when I've seen multiple posters (not just one) support this concept. There doesn't have to be a movement for me to express my opinion on the matter. Whether it's 1000 posters or 1, I will be here to refute blind optimism unless it's actually backed by some form of logic.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Colorado has one of the best offensive players in the game and NJ recently got a 1st overall pick...I don't see how we are comparable.
The only way we're comparable is in the way that it's "possible" (although again, very unlikely).

But I still don't quite know why people can't hope/wish for, as unlikely as it is, it's not like we're talking about discovering plutonium by accident here. There are teams that surprise every year, enough that talking about it in a fantasy-like setting is fair as far as i'm concerned. I mean, we've seen it happen with our Montreal Canadiens before, low expectations and the team overachieves.

It's not like anyone suggested they're going to win the Cup.

I don't think it's healthy to discuss scenarios that are extremely unlikely. Especially when I've seen multiple posters (not just one) support this concept. There doesn't have to be a movement for me to express my opinion on the matter. Whether it's 1000 posters or 1, I will be here to refute blind optimism unless it's actually backed by some form of logic.
Given the current state of affairs fostered by managements decisions - I find it extremely cathartic.

But that's just me - either way, this IS the Positivity thread. If people can't dream here....

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Enjoy your safe space , I'll mute this thread and let you guys enjoy these "reasonable scenarios".

Ignorance really is bliss.

Thats what this thread is for, Positivty it is a safe space.

Reality of this teams actual chances can be discussed in the other threads.

If you aren't going to be positive then stay out of this thread.

Create the negativity thread if you really want there is lots to be negative about.

But don't come into the positivity thread and throw cold water on everyone and call us out for being positive in a thread that is soley dedicated to being Positive.

Might as well go to the out of town thread and call out posters for posting about non habs related things LOL.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Thats what this thread is for, Positivty it is a safe space.

Reality of this teams actual chances can be discussed in the other threads.

If you aren't going to be positive then stay out of this thread.

Create the negativity thread if you really want there is lots to be negative about.

But don't come into the positivity thread and throw cold water on everyone and call us out for being positive in a thread that is soley dedicated to being Positive.

Might as well go to the out of town thread and call out posters for posting about non habs related things LOL.

I've muted this discussion and my intention wasn't to flame the premise of this thread. Afterall, I assumed this was about discussing the few positives within the organization (our talented youth, prospects and new hires). Not to create ridiculous scenarios that have little to no chance of happenning backed by the worst logic. (This is the only reason I chimed in)

Enjoy the thread as you see fit.

Reactions: Peanut and Bryson

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Armia, Drouin, Domi, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Hudon, Mete, and Juulsen are all at the NHL level and poised to take the next step. No guarantees of course, but it's hard not to be a little excited about that.

McCarron could become an NHL regular next year, he can be pretty entertaining. Looking at Peca and Reilly to potentially play an offensive role on the team with those roles available.

Lots of unknowns, lots of potential. I'm actually looking forward to next year and seeing how the young players progress.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
We have 14 picks in one draft.

that’s two teams worth of draft picks assuming 1 pick per round.

we get to draft twice ( lol )

IN MONTREAL

Bergevin be like

“ we said a 5 year plan but what we meant is we are in the first 5 years of the 10-15 year plan “

canadian beer is good though

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

IN MONTREAL

Bergevin be like

“ we said a 5 year plan but what we meant is we are in the first 5 years of the 10-15 year plan “

A lot of it is actually pretty putrid but, there are some interesting micro breweries. Unless that by 'good', you just mean 'has more alcohol content than US beers'.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

IN MONTREAL

Bergevin be like

Wouldn't be surprised if a few of those draft picks are traded, especially for future draft picks.

The draft was supposed to be in town and I'm sure they wanted to make some noise. Maybe they will get next year's draft. More then that though, how do you sign all those players? Good to have a cache going forward, gives more flexibility in making trades.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->