Proposal: The please fire Travis Green thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So if we were such a great team and well run organization under Gillis post Stanley cup final season 2011 why did we lose and I believe were swept(I know San Jose swept us 4 straight games) in the opening rounds the following two seasons?!?! Perhaps we weren't that good after 2011 but Mike thought he'd ride the coattails still of the previous regime!

Well actually the next season we again won the president trophy and while we did lose in the first round it was to the eventual cup champs that ran over everyone, and we didn’t have our MVP.

Then we start to talk about when that regime started to look at rebuilding properly. Doubt it would have taken them 8 years to get a team this good.

Reactions: mossey3535

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I think that TG has got one more game..If he loses on Wednesday he's gone...Its a lot easier to move one guy than going into the roster with pliers....

The only question is who replaces him...?....I dont like most of the suggestions..Babcock etc.
Boudreau is mine. But ironically I think the team needs a hard nosed coach like torts right now to snap them out of this funk and get to work

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Boudreau is mine. But ironically I think the team needs a hard nosed coach like torts right now to snap them out of this funk and get to work
Out of all the names that are out there, I could live with Boudreau...and yes, the team needs a kick in the butt..If we hadn't gone through the previous experience with Torts, I would be saying he would be the perfect man for the job.

Reactions: MarkMM

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
If Babcock didn't work in Toronto with stars that are around the same age as ours, he's 100% not going to fly here

Also since Detroit days he hasn't shown he can coach the modern game with a non - all star roster to success.

Finally, players were grumbling about Babcock when he got fired already. With the current atmosphere with the Blackhawks and Murray being held accountable, I wouldn't be surprised if more guys stepped forward with new stuff.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Babcock didn't work in Toronto with stars that are around the same age as ours, he's 100% not going to fly here

Also since Detroit days he hasn't shown he can coach the modern game with a non - all star roster to success.

He missed the playoffs with Toronto once and that was in his first season. His teams have only missed the playoffs twice in 16 years. You can probably criticize him for all those first round exits with teams that were the favourites but he has certainly shown that he can coach the modern game.

Finally, players were grumbling about Babcock when he got fired already. With the current atmosphere with the Blackhawks and Murray being held accountable, I wouldn't be surprised if more guys stepped forward with new stuff.

That's the biggest holdup. He's probably a POS person and given his last interview with Lebrun where he was defending his record, this is not a "woke" reformed coach. But that's not to say there aren't players who liked him. Mikheyev signed in Toronto in part because Datsyuk reportedly gave Babcock a good reference. Zetterberg was less enthusiastic when talking about Babcock. Basically Babcock in the end was a positive influence for him but acknowledged that their relationship wasn't always friendly and that not everyone can handle Babcock the way Zetterberg was able to.

I think if you care about the organization treating players professionally from top to bottom you don't hire Babcock. If you don't care that the coach can be hard on the players to the point of playing mind games with them and bullying them then Babcock is as good of a coaching candidate as there is.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If you recall from the NHL 24/7 behind the scenes things they would do leading up to the winter classic (Liev Schreiber narrated) Boudreau can be a hard ass. There was times in that he'd have full on coniptions and swearing fits.

Reactions: TraderJim

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I honestly wouldn't mind Torts for a couple of seasons to instill some work ethic, commitment to defense, and have them work as a unit rather than a bunch of individuals. Any longer than a couple of seasons and players will start wanting out (the ones that don't already). He was the wrong coach during his last stint here, as the team was full of veterans on the decline, but he might be the right coach for this team full of underachieving young players.

Or maybe I'm so fed up with the team I just want to see them suffer...

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
If you recall from the NHL 24/7 behind the scenes things they would do leading up to the winter classic (Liev Schreiber narrated) Boudreau can be a hard ass. There was times in that he'd have full on coniptions and swearing fits.
He had the greatest line in that. "You can't just want it. You have to f***ing want it!"

Reactions: rypper

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
and there is nothing wrong with that. swear at them, but dont play mind games with them. Its just about respect. their skin should be thick enough to take on colorful language, but sheesh take off the kitty mittens. I dont want a Willy D respect-the-players coach, but doesnt mean you have right away to go full Torts right? look what Daryl did with the country clubhouse in Calgary, there is a place for a Boudreau still.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Half the current coaching staff, including the head coach, should have walked the plank after last season. I mean it was one of the worst seasons in Canuck history, yet nobody paid the price. Can you imagine if these guys were plying their trade in market like TO, NY, Boston or Montreal?

So here we are one off-season and 20 games into the season, and still nowhere. I predicted earlier that Green would be lucky to last 20 games, so I may be out by four or five games or so.

But this team can't move forward with the coaching staff it has.....that should be more and more apparent with every game. Either the players have lost confidence in Green's system; or they don't have the personnel to play it. So the losses are just doomed to pile up until a change is made.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Torts would definitely shake things up here but don't think it's happening with the dollars he's already been gifted here. No clue whose another hard ass up and coming guy but we certainly need someone whose personality is dominating. We can't have another pouting not my fault what's a system plug like Green again.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Maybe, but getting fired is part of a head coaches development. Most of the more well known good coaches got fired from their first coaching job. I'm sure Green will be a head coach one day again
In the KHL perhaps

or ECHL

no team in the nhl is going to give the reigns to a career loser coach unless they need a tank commander

Reactions: vanuck

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
The reason Bo constantly covers for Green is because Green never holds Bo accountable

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I'm already hearing people say you cant fire a coach during a road trip...that's what everyone was saying LAST road trip.
You can't fire Green during a road trip and we got to give them a chance during this upcoming homestand to regain momentum. But not the first game of the homestand, because as everyone knows that's a trap game. And sometimes what we need is patience for all the elements to come together. Steady as she goes because ownership is prepared to be patient. No sudden moves they might regret for a decade. After all, that's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad