Proposal: The please fire Travis Green thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancouverbucsfan

Nov 18, 2021
Can you teach the rest of us how to be a fan?
Hey I'm like the rest of you and am frustrated with the losing! I'm 56 years old and would like to see a Stanley Cup championship hopefully before I pass away!

Attachments

• 93131136_3012843852144846_1987877530794721280_n.png
    93131136_3012843852144846_1987877530794721280_n.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 3

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Oh please! I can't believe some of you still endorse Mike Gillis SMH! What did he do other than sign Hamhuis and Malholtra which were the only 2 good signings he ever did? Like seriously please elaborate. Gillis already had a good team in place and he never developed the 3rd or 4th lines of the team! Signed scraps like Raffi Torres on them lines. Bruins beat us good in 2011 as all 4 of their lines were going. Burke and Nonis were the ones that constructed the roster prior to Gillis. Gillis was so arrogant and took all the credit for everything. And he wasn't a nice guy either as a buddy of mine sat beside him on a connecting flight back home to Vancouver from Denver. Buddy was nice to him and he never said a word back to him the entire flight back. Rode the coattails of the former regime and none of his draft picks worked out other than Horvat. So PLEASE his firing was totally justified at the time, he was CLUELESS as well as this current regime!

Gillis had issues but he had his wins. Aside from Hamhuis and Malholtra the Christian Erhoff and Mikael Samuelsson trades were very solid, he got Burrows, Kesler and the Sedins among others to sign at discounts because they bought into the vision (something Kesler even spoke so openly about he once got in trouble for admitting he took a discount to help the team win). But yes, his drafting was bad.

Gillis had his strengths and weaknesses.

Benning has been an unmitigated disaster.

The worst record while spending to the cap, being a net exporter of draft picks and prospects, and even his drafting isn't very good.

Diving Deep into Jim Benning’s Draft History with the Vancouver Canucks

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Out of here! Done arguing with all you NHL armchair quarterbacks. Here lies the problem with our current roster. We have 3 good defenceman in Myers, Hughes and Ekman Larson. They are being overplayed minutes wise and are getting tired and not generating sustainable drives and chances to our forwards. Our other D men need to go down to Abbotsford and get some playing time. They are not NHL ready, later.

Well, there goes that credibility.

vancouverbucsfan

Nov 18, 2021
Gillis had issues but he had his wins. Aside from Hamhuis and Malholtra the Christian Erhoff and Mikael Samuelsson trades were very solid, he got Burrows, Kesler and the Sedins among others to sign at discounts because they bought into the vision (something Kesler even spoke so openly about he once got in trouble for admitting he took a discount to help the team win). But yes, his drafting was bad.

Gillis had his strengths and weaknesses.

Benning has been an unmitigated disaster.

The worst record while spending to the cap, being a net exporter of draft picks and prospects, and even his drafting isn't very good.

Diving Deep into Jim Benning’s Draft History with the Vancouver Canucks
Agreed. Hamhuis and Malholtra were good signings. Had they been healthy in that 2011 final we would have probably had won that cup. Had Kesler not had a bum shoulder in that final and used his head that wasn't between his legs(Schneider's girlfriend) he'd still be a Canuck.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Lol! Ok poster. Gillis inherited a good team in place already and didn't develop our third and fourth lines deep enough. We should've hoisted that 2011 cup suffice to say. The 94 team was a better team imho. We should have won that cup as well that year. Pat Quinn knew what he was doing. I'm a long time 11 game ice pack yearly holder and still a current one. Born and raised Vancouverite and still reside here. So yes have been around to watch the team play all my life.

w640xh480_GettyImages-117115722.jpg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Answer me this....how do you judge Green's performance with a roster construction that has 2 top 4 defensemen and 7 that should be playing no higher than the third paring. I have serious concerns over some of the weird deployment that Green does but is it realistic to think they should be a playoff team with this roster? It's like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they didn't slay the dragon.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Answer me this....how do you judge Green's performance with a roster construction that has 2 top 4 defensemen and 7 that should be playing no higher than the third paring. I have serious concerns over some of the weird deployment that Green does but is it realistic to think they should be a playoff team with this roster? It's like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they didn't slay the dragon.
Seattle has a better record than Vancouver. Are you gonna tell me Seattle has a better roster than the Canucks?

The Rangers have essentially drafted two massive busts (thus far) with consecutive top two picks and are light years better than Vancouver. Do you see a bunch of Norris candidates on that blue line after Fox?

I'm tired of people whining about the roster when there are plenty of other teams with holes that are performing much better than the Canucks. The same issues with the system have been in place since Green took over.

"Schmidt sucks."

Schmidt gets to a new team and look good again. -27 himself, Guddy, has been decent since leaving Vancouver.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Seattle has a better record than Vancouver. Are you gonna tell me Seattle has a better roster than the Canucks?

The Rangers have essentially drafted two massive busts (thus far) with consecutive top two picks and are light years better than Vancouver. Do you see a bunch of Norris candidates on that blue line after Fox?

I'm tired of people whining about the roster when there are plenty of other teams with holes that are performing much better than the Canucks. The same issues with the system have been in place since Green took over.

"Schmidt sucks."

Schmidt gets to a new team and look good again. -27 himself, Guddy, has been decent since leaving Vancouver.
Wow, really? A little strong for asking a simple question. Vancouver's roster doesn't have the right balance to win. That isn't a news flash. Their D is weak and everybody with any credibility said that before the season. Add to that a ridiculously slow start for Pettersson and you have the recipe for the result. Again, Green isn't beyond reproach but seriously...

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Wow, really? A little strong for asking a simple question. Vancouver's roster doesn't have the right balance to win. That isn't a news flash. Their D is weak and everybody with any credibility said that before the season. Add to that a ridiculously slow start for Pettersson and you have the recipe for the result. Again, Green isn't beyond reproach but seriously...
Every roster in the league is flawed to some degree. That's the reality of a hard cap league. Benning is a bozo but Green constantly gets a pass for the atrocious job he's done. There is enough talent on the Canucks to be a fairly good team not bottom of the barrel.

I'm tired of people acting like none of this is Green's fault because their roster isn't the 2002 Red Wings.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Every roster in the league is flawed to some degree. That's the reality of a hard cap league. Benning is a bozo but Green constantly gets a pass for the atrocious job he's done. There is enough talent on the Canucks to be a fairly good team not bottom of the barrel.

I'm tired of people acting like none of this is Green's fault because their roster isn't the 2002 Red Wings.
If you read my posts I wasn't giving Green a pass. But this roster is weak. I guess it comes down to how much of the result is due to roster problems vs coaching problems. Both are responsible. You're acting like the roster isn't an issue at all.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

It's more like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they've disassembled the gun and are throwing the pellets at the dragon.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
If you read my posts I wasn't giving Green a pass. But this roster is weak. I guess it comes down to how much of the result is due to roster problems vs coaching problems. Both are responsible. You're acting like the roster isn't an issue at all.
The roster isn't worst team in the division bad. Their top three forward lines should be one of the best rotations in the league and they are DOGGING it.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
That’s nice, where was our cup?
Cup > anything less is meaningless

Please, don’t say Presidents Trophies.
Hooray for regular season success, we need cups.

I mean, I greatly prefer having a team that can MAKE the playoffs and COMPETE for a Stanley Cup than, y'know, NOT being able to do that.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's more like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they've disassembled the gun and are throwing the pellets at the dragon.
FTFY: It's more like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they've disassembled the gun and are eating the pellets in front of a dragon.

Reactions: Indiana

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
"Hello, I'm Coach Green. I'm here to teach your players how to hockey harder, to make defensive pinches that lead to odd-man rushes against, and to dump and chase when we're down a goal in the last five minutes of a game. If these techniques don't get results - and my track record says they won't - I am fully prepared to vaguely throw you under the bus while selling the media a bunch of empty platitudes and played out stock answers."

-Travis Green's Cover Letter for his next coaching gig.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think you can judge Green's performance by the results. The Canucks currently sits as the 4th worst team in the league in terms of point percentage, 5th worst in terms of goal differential, 6th worst in GF, 5th worst in GA, record of 2-8 in the last 10, worst PK, worst PP. I mean can you honestly say that the roster is that bad that a better coach wouldn't be able to improve one of those areas? Even the most pessimistic posters on here didn't think the team would be this bad.

I've said this before, for whatever reason, the Canucks' entire offensive scheme is to score goals off tips and rebounds from shots at the point. That's not to say that other teams don't do it, but we're not good at it.

By the way, BB guns can kill a man. Probably need to get up close and hit a soft spot in order to have a chance at slaying a full grown dragon with it.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You compare the performance of players before they arrive here and after they leave. For example, let's look at our former players in Calgary coached by Sutter, they're all doing much better on that team than they did here. We can look at Edler in LA, better. McCann in Seattle, better.

Bad rosters don't win games but players can still shine on a bad team if they're well coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad