DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
636173205022185586-jim-mora-playoffs-copy.jpg
This. Over and over again.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not quite that bleak. The league is way closer this year that seasons past.

We're 3 points out.

The Stars have 44 points and the Oilers have 39. The Oilers need Vancouver and Dallas to drop their next three in regulation and the Oilers have to win 3 straight to reclaim WC2 outright with 45 points.

Dallas plays at home against Jersey and Washington then plays a road game in Winnipeg.

Vancouver is still on the road due to the WJC, and plays Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto.

I can see both these teams winning their next one then dropping the next two.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
To only be 4 points back of a wild-card spot with one game in hand after that six-game losing streak is almost a small miracle. It's definitely not over but all of that hard work to get back in the hunt has been erased. Back to the grind I suppose, ride Koskinen and hope that the new d men continue to be bettter then what we had after klefbom went down.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The problem is that, while it doesn't appear we lost a lot of ground, by the same token, it is also very difficult to make up ground the way the format is. Lots of teams to jump over and around.

The team we just beat is the lowest scoring team in the league and showed it last night, so not to get too overly excited. We still have our top dmen out with injury, and even when they come back, they will be behind the 8 ball.

And continuing to have 3 guys do all the scoring is simply not sustainable.

Not trying to throw cold water on all the sudden optimism after a solitary win, but let's be realistic here.

Reactions: Yeah15

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
We've gone on two big runs and two big losing streaks this season. If we go on another big run here we are in good shape, but the subsequent losing streak will put us back where we currently are. Season could go either way.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
The problem is that, while it doesn't appear we lost a lot of ground, by the same token, it is also very difficult to make up ground the way the format is. Lots of teams to jump over and around.

The team we just beat is the lowest scoring team in the league and showed it last night, so not to get too overly excited. We still have our top dmen out with injury, and even when they come back, they will be behind the 8 ball.

And continuing to have 3 guys do all the scoring is simply not sustainable.

Not trying to throw cold water on all the sudden optimism after a solitary win, but let's be realistic here.

I don't think anyone is getting too excited about 1 win in the last 7 but it's not over as some are suggesting. If they are 6 points back or worse after this road trip then I would say it's over.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think anyone is getting too excited about 1 win in the last 7 but it's not over as some are suggesting. If they are 6 points back or worse after this road trip then I would say it's over.

Apparently you didn't read the initial posts right after the game.:laugh:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My biggest fear is Anaheim takes WC2 and the Oilers miss the playoffs by one point. That first game against Anaheim they let slip away with 16 seconds to go could have monumental effects on the playoff picture with these two teams.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

This should be taken on a poster sized page to Chia's next performance review.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Amazingly still only four points out of the wild card spot with two games in hand. Obviously the Oilers need to go on a run now but it is still achievable.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'll take 2-2 on that road trip, need to get some wins at home now. How are they still only 2 points out of a wild card spot? The teams they are chasing have been sucking too luckily. I know it's the ugly cousin wild card spot but if they can stay in the hunt at least the games are meaningful.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I know anything can happen in the playoffs but even if we did squeak in this team will be out in the first round.

Agreed that at least the games being meaningful is nice, hard to watch when the games are as important as a pre-season game.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I know anything can happen in the playoffs but even if we did squeak in this team will be out in the first round.

Agreed that at least the games being meaningful is nice, hard to watch when the games are as important as a pre-season game.

Still a lot of season left. With Mcdavid and a healthy blue line, a first round upset could happen. Playoffs are such a different animal, you just never know who rises to the challenge once you get there.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Halfway through the season and the top 3 in our division is already decided. Wow.
Hope for a wild card.

And how the f*** is Tampa so good?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
We’re going to make it in boys, there’s a good chance we might not win the division but I think we can run the table and make the finals. Not going to lie though, Tampa will be tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad