The Playoff Picture Thread

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
2 points back of the Wild and three Points back of the Avalanche. We all know this team is not great but I just want the games to remain meaningful. We've had far too many winters where the games had no meaning past November. I refuse to cheer for them to lose in hopes that good changes will happen. Look at their track record when we were all on board for that.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
2 points back of the Wild and three Points back of the Avalanche. We all know this team is not great but I just want the games to remain meaningful. We've had far too many winters where the games had no meaning past November. I refuse to cheer for them to lose in hopes that good changes will happen. Look at their track record when we were all on board for that.

I think I heard Gregor say the Avs have been the worst team in the league since Dec. 4? something like 4 wins in 21 games?
Anaheim have lost 9 straight, Minny is very up and down.
If we are still in or around, when Klefbom comes back, I think we can get into a firm playoff spot.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I think I heard Gregor say the Avs have been the worst team in the league since Dec. 4? something like 4 wins in 21 games?
If we are still in or around, when Klefbom comes back, I think we can get into a firm playoff spot.

Yes the Oilers are very fortunate that the other teams around them have sucked as well. Can't live in the past but if only they won even two games that last home stand, they would own a wild-card spot right now.

Need to take advantage of some of these teams they are playing coming up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeGrier99

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

This should be taken on a poster sized page to Chia's next performance review.

It is obviously a good point, but if you include cap considerations in this you pretty soon realise that our top 4 scorers cost us a helluva lot of cap with respect to the other teams.

TBL: Point, Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnsson, (top 4 90 goals) Joseph, Gourde, Killorn, Cirelli, Paquette = $26.85M (tot 139 goals)
EDM: McDavid, Draisaitl, Chiason, RNH = $27.7M (80 goals)

TBL's top 9 fwds goal scorers have a lower combined cap than our top 4. And we also have a bargain contract in there with Chiason...

For Vegas their top 8 scorers cost as much as our top 4, NSH it's their top 7, SJS it's top 6, etc. etc Even the teams closer to us in the ranking like Minnesota are paying their top 6 as less than we are paying for the that top 4. Looking at Carolina, their entire fwd core have about the same cap as our top 2 guys...

The only teams I have found so far (didn't look at all) that cannot fit in more than 4 out of their top goal scorers are Chicago and Pittsburgh: CHI top 4 cost almost exactly the same as ours due to the Toews/Kane contracts and PIT's top 4 cost $21.3M which is still quite a bit lower than ours, but since their number 5 goal scorer is Malkin their top 5 do not cost less than our top 4.

We paid a hefty price for our top guys and even though the rest are not pulling their weight I still think that this graphic misses out on some important parameters. We are top heavy for obvious reasons and even though more need to contribute let's not pretend that we'll ever be able to compete with the teams which have a much flatter cap-curve than we do.

Reactions: oljimmy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
0-5-0 on the homestand, that right there was the season for me. Even a .500 homestand would have had them tied with Dallas for WC2 and a ray of hope still shining through.

The positive thing is they are still only 5 points out of WC2.

The negative thing is, they are 5 points out of last in the entire league.
Yeah, I think the current two games are their last chance of staying in competition. Thanks to (who else) McDavid, they won the Florida game, and now they have one more chance to salvage hope. I still think if they lose this next game, they're done.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

What do you mean by firm playoff spot. Our only hope is a WC, which is very dependent on any other bubble team in the conference not getting hot. I think only one WC spot will even be up for grabs. We're miles out of the Pacific spots. That ain't happening. All those teams in there are solid and far and above us.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What do you mean by firm playoff spot. Our only hope is a WC, which is very dependent on any other bubble team in the conference not getting hot. I think only one WC spot will even be up for grabs. We're miles out of the Pacific spots. That ain't happening. All those teams in there are solid and far and above us.

This hanging around for a playoff spot is killing me because the closer we are at the TDL, the greater the chances of Chia doing something idiotic.

They either need to lose and put themselves out or lock it in and hope that the upper management is keeping Chia's hands tied.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
A WC spot is still a playoff spot.and what I meant was,we will have the 1st WC spot in form hold while the avs, minny, and whomever else fighting for the last spot at a distance.
Just my opinion....hopeful as it is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This hanging around for a playoff spot is killing me because the closer we are at the TDL, the greater the chances of Chia doing something idiotic.

They either need to lose and put themselves out or lock it in and hope that the upper management is keeping Chia's hands tied.

Yeah, I'm even pretty ambivalent about eking out 2 pts last night against a poor club and needing a goal to tie with 8secs left and winning it in OT. With how open the Oilers were throughout that sequence, and with Florida playing so poorly it looked like they were more determined to throw points away. It had that look anytime I was watching.

This is the sadsack NHL. Multiple clubs still purposely tanking for picks, terrible clubs barely beating clubs trying to lose.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A WC spot is still a playoff spot.and what I meant was,we will have the 1st WC spot in form hold while the avs, minny, and whomever else fighting for the last spot at a distance.
Just my opinion....hopeful as it is.

I was trying to double check the standings and as I write this, lol both the NHL, and Oilers sites have "No standings available" lmao. Shaw last night on the glitch all game and now this. WTF?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I was trying to double check the standings and as I write this, lol both the NHL, and Oilers sites have "No standings available" lmao. Shaw last night on the glitch all game and now this. WTF?
I spoke with Shaw and they told me it was a Roger's fibre problem
some Telus customers had no problems because they get the game through streaming,and Shaw will get IPTV sometime next month.
I had to watch the game through my phone on Freerange TV app

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, I think the current two games are their last chance of staying in competition. Thanks to (who else) McDavid, they won the Florida game, and now they have one more chance to salvage hope. I still think if they lose this next game, they're done.

They needed that win any way possible last night. If they can be in a spot by the all star break and get Klefbom back before that, maybe they can make a charge.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
some Telus customers had no problems because they get the game through streaming,and Shaw will get IPTV sometime next month.

If you pay for Sportsnet, you can use the Sportsnet Now app. It's a significantly better stream than the freerange app.

Reactions: booyakasha

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers still need to pace better than at least two of the Avs, Stars, Ducks and Wild. Anaheim seems like they might be cooked (though I never underestimate them) but the rest might be troublesome.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sorry about my lack of tech knowledge. What is IPTV?

Some people said as well the game was fine on Standard definition but we axed that from our shaw menu as no reason to pay for what we don't watch. The snafu reportedly was only on HD telecast.

heres something startling. From reddit I found out the game was at some point put on channel 302 pay tier. So I was able to watch 15mins of it no problem at all. But for some reason they went to commercials and then yanked it. Suddenly the pay screen came on. So at some point an exec figured out the problem was easily rectified, just move the broadcast to another channel, but they then pulled that when the game was still going on. So many mistakes. Lots of people noted that the one specific Rogers channel had been on the fritz all day so they had lots of time to fix any issues. This is a brand new rink. What could be so f***ed up?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, I'm even pretty ambivalent about eking out 2 pts last night against a poor club and needing a goal to tie with 8secs left and winning it in OT. With how open the Oilers were throughout that sequence, and with Florida playing so poorly it looked like they were more determined to throw points away. It had that look anytime I was watching.

This is the sadsack NHL. Multiple clubs still purposely tanking for picks, terrible clubs barely beating clubs trying to lose.

And to think there are owners actually want to increase the number of teams who make it when they actually should reduce the number by four.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I legit don't understand the benefit of making the playoffs to anyone but Katz.

Squeaking into the last w.c. spot means a date with Nashville/Winnipeg or *spits* Calgary/San Jose, which means a short spring. Plus it increases the chances of Chia keeping his job. I see no upside here.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And to think there are owners actually want to increase the number of teams who make it when they actually should reduce the number by four.
What’s the benefit of that? 12 teams in? You’d need a bizzaro world playoff bracket.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013

16/32 is perfect. If you aren't in the top half of the teams you don't make it. Now if only they would shorten up the first 2 rounds so we could be done watching hockey in May.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Sorry about my lack of tech knowledge. What is IPTV?

Some people said as well the game was fine on Standard definition but we axed that from our shaw menu as no reason to pay for what we don't watch. The snafu reportedly was only on HD telecast.

heres something startling. From reddit I found out the game was at some point put on channel 302 pay tier. So I was able to watch 15mins of it no problem at all. But for some reason they went to commercials and then yanked it. Suddenly the pay screen came on. So at some point an exec figured out the problem was easily rectified, just move the broadcast to another channel, but they then pulled that when the game was still going on. So many mistakes. Lots of people noted that the one specific Rogers channel had been on the fritz all day so they had lots of time to fix any issues. This is a brand new rink. What could be so ****ed up?
Instead of receiving your broadcast through cable,or now its fibre optic line..you receive it through a stream

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Standings as of today...

UoC8ty3.jpg

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
66 points on 124 goals is just crazy. If McDavid finishes this season like he finished last, he could win the Rocket and sweep all of the major individual awards. It would be as close to a Lebron equivalent as you can get in the NHL.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->