The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
This is my gripe with this whole character thing and the Bruins so-called great leadership. Not saying our leaders aren't leaders, because I think they are. But you'd think management could take a risk with some players, hoping that our leaders could help turn them around, instead of taking lesser players because they think they have better character.

You can't teach skill. We had the vets. Kids grow up.

You can teach skill, it's like the one thing you can teach. The only thing you can't teach is size.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
There was a thread on the main boards titled
"Which Team Would Have Benefitted the Most From Taking the Player that Went 1 Pick Later?"

I was curious on who went right before our top line guys. Not saying we were going pick these guys but we were that close to losing out on our stud line.

2003 - LA Kings take Konstantin Pushkaryov at 44 instead of Patrice Bergeron in the 2nd round. Konstantin played in 17 games NHL games and put up 5 points. Imagine the Kings with Kopitar and Bergeron down the middle, could have more cups. The walking alphabet played in the minors but mostly in the KHL where he never got more then 17 pts in a season.

2006 - Islanders take as the 70th pick in the 3rd round Robin Figren and the next pick is Brad Marchand. Figren never made it out of the AHL and is playing in Sweden. Where his season career high was 31 pts. Maybe Tavares stays with the Isles if he has Marshy on his wing and Bailey. Or Marchand, Barzal, Bailey as a line right now.

2014 - Vancouver takes at #24 Jared McCann , Bruins grab Pasta at 25. McCann is still young and can turn out decent with 23 goals in 188 NHL games to date. Imagine Pasta and Pettersson together.
I always laugh at stuff like this. Like, if VAN had Pasta, they would have been in a position to take Pettersson. One change in a draft and entire seasons can change, leading to a domino effect. The ol' butterfly flaps it's wings at the draft table effect.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Elliot friedman said on his podcast that the Bruins were turned off by Barzal's answer when they asked why they should pick him. He said something along the lines of "don't, and we'll see how it works out for you".
I had heard that one of the reasons they didn't pick him was how he performed in the team interview. This from Friedman wouldn't shock me at all if true.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Absolutely. Like I mentioned above, these are teenage boys and they have a roster full of vets that are good role models. I want to draft a kid with confidence, not one that will second guess themselves their whole development. To think that could have been the reason we don't have a talent like Barzal right now, but instead somebody that may never have an NHL career is frustrating as all hell.

Of course, we dont really know if a) Barzal actually said that and b) if he did, how much it actually played into the Bruins' decision.

For what it is worth, I saw a video on Youtube where a crew followed Barzal around, including into Seidenberg's house where he lived during his rookie year. Seemed like a nice, grounded kid who meshed with the Seidenberg family well.

Off topic, but I really think things would have gone so much better with Seguin here had he lived with a family his first few years.

Reactions: Lo97

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Of course, we dont really know if a) Barzal actually said that and b) if he did, how much it actually played into the Bruins' decision.

For what it is worth, I saw a video on Youtube where a crew followed Barzal around, including into Seidenberg's house where he lived during his rookie year. Seemed like a nice, grounded kid who meshed with the Seidenberg family well.

Off topic, but I really think things would have gone so much better with Seguin here had he lived with a family his first few years.

Regarding your last sentence I strongly agree with it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Boston - Biggest blunders in Bruins draft History....thinks to self:

"See draft years 2007 through 2009."

Of the 17 players draft by Boston:

1 remains in the NHL....Michael Hutchinson

Lets see who else we took in these draft and where they are today (or last played)

2007 Draft
Zach Hamill - 18/19 (DEL-2)
Tommy Cross - 18/19 (AHL)
Denis Ruel - 18/19 (DEL)
Alan Goulet - 14/15 (France)
Radim Ostrcil - 13/14 (Slovak)
Jordan Knackstedt - 18/19 (DEL-2)

Notable players passed on: Logan Couture, Lars Eller, Kevin Shattenkirk, Max Pacioretty, David Perron, PK Subban, Wayne Simmonds & Alec Martinez

2008 Draft
Joe Colborne - 17/18 (AHL)
Maxime Sauve - 18/19 (France)
Michael Hutchinson - 18/19 (NHL)
Jamie Arniel - 18/19 (Austria)
Nicolas Tremblay - 13/14 (ECHL)
Mark Goggin - 11/12 (NCAA)

Notable players passed on: Jordan Eberle, John Carlson, Roman Josi, Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, Adam Henrique & Braden Holtby

2009 Draft
Jordan Caron - 18/19 (KHL)
Ryan Button - 18/19 (DEL)
Lane MacDermid - 13/14 (AHL)
Tyler Randell - 18/19 (AHL)
Ben Sexton - 18/19 (AHL)

Notable players passed on: Kyle Palmieri, Ryan O'Reilly, Jakob Silfverberg, Dmitri Orlov, Tyson Barrie, Mattias Ekholm, Sami Vatanen, Mike Hoffman & Anders Lee.

I mean lets be honest, from 2007 to 2009 this teams was awful at drafting. Honestly you could say from 2007 to 2013 this team couldn't draft to save their life. They were gift wrapped Seguin at #2 and Hamilton at #9 the following year. Outside of those two, here are the most success Bruins drafted from 2007 to 2013. By success I mean they were "NHL Regulars" for more than part of a season.

Matt Grzelcyk
Ryan Spooner

You could also throw in the following as goalies are a bit different:

Malcolm Subban
Michael Hutchinson

I mean outside of two gift draft picks, you've managed to produce 4 players in a 6 year time frame. I mean the best you've been able to produce outside of Seguin/Hamilton over a 6 year span is a undersized 2nd/3rd pairing d-man, a 45 points winger who doesn't know how to spell defense and a pair of back-up goalies.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
I mean outside of two gift draft picks, you've managed to produce 4 players in a 6 year time frame. I mean the best you've been able to produce outside of Seguin/Hamilton over a 6 year span is a undersized 2nd/3rd pairing d-man, a 45 points winger who doesn't know how to spell defense and a pair of back-up goalies.

That's why people in the entire hockey world where kind of "wtf" with the Bruins picks in 2015, they had two player gifted to them and they pass on both 3 times in a row. Kinda like if the Bruins picked Nino Niederreitter in 2010 and Nathan Beaulieu in 2011. Yeah those guys would have been NHLers, Nino a pretty good one, but passing on those gift (Seguin-Hamilton) would have been a 2015 like moment and imho, an error.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
That's why people in the entire hockey world where kind of "wtf" with the Bruins picks in 2015, they had two player gifted to them and they pass on both 3 times in a row. Kinda like if the Bruins picked Nino Niederreitter in 2010 and Nathan Beaulieu in 2011. Yeah those guys would have been NHLers, Nino a pretty good one, but passing on those gift (Seguin-Hamilton) would have been a 2015 like moment and imho, an error.

Not this again ...

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It's easy to point after the fact when you know what guys actually became impact players. But to call the draft an inexact science is selling it way too low.

In terms of this topic though, one of the worst was Kluzak over Brian Bellows. Even if you wanted to take a dman there, you had Scott Stevens and Phil Housley to pick from as well. Obviously injuries curtailed Gord's career, but man, Bellows would have been sweet.
Kluzak had major knee surgery on one if not both knees prior to being drafted by the Bruins that summer. I was bummed out about that since we were just about to lose Brad Park and several years prior lost Bobby Orr to knee injuries. I remember reading about Kluzaks knee problems in "The Hockey News" magazine and praying that they would pass on him.

Reactions: TCB and LSCII

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Just a terrible job at trying to troll the 2015 draft. How many teams passed on Barzal, Chabot? I'll never understand how Boston takes so much flak for not draft Barzal, but there were a lot of other teams that passed on him too....but it only matters that Boston passed on him. Honestly I don't understand why no one calls out the teams that pass on Rantanen

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Just a terrible job at trying to troll the 2015 draft. How many teams passed on Barzal, Chabot? I'll never understand how Boston takes so much flak for not draft Barzal, but there were a lot of other teams that passed on him too....but it only matters that Boston passed on him. Honestly I don't understand why no one calls out the teams that pass on Rantanen

Commenting on what others teams did in the first round of that draft is merely "whataboutism" (What About 'Whataboutism'?) that is used to deflect from the focus of the conversation, which is what you are doing. Who cares what the other teams did? We're here to talk about the Bruins and the team's drafting. In 2015, Boston was in a unique position, with three picks in a row in a prime spot in a deep draft, and deliberately passed on the two best players considered to be still available, namely, Barzal and Connor.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I don't care what you say. The 2015 draft has been a big piece to why our future is so great in its entirety. Very good draft for us

Zboril - Solid LHD of the future. Adds on to the depth

Debrusk - Phenomenally skilled all around player with a great shot and the heart of a lion

Senyshyn - This dude makes me want to blow my brains out and I have no hope for him. One bad, big deal

Carlo - Our shutdown dman of the future. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Eichel, Skinner, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point: Meet Brandon Carlo. He'll be owning your ass once he reaches his peak. Also still has some solid offensive upside to at least become a potential 30 point dman.

Lauzon - LHD who has played great in his short time in the big leagues. Looks like he and Vaak are the future on the left with Zboril.

JFK - Good 3rd line center of the future . . . and present. If he bypasses all expectations then he can be a good 2C for us.

People can moan and groan about Chabot and Barzal and Connor, but every team makes draft mistakes. 25 teams missed on Pastrnak and he's at least the 3rd best player in that draft and I'm going on a limb and saying he was the best.

Mac also a top 5 player at least in the 2016 draft. Future cornerstone dman.

So any Isles fans. News flash. You took f***ing Dal Colle over Pastrnak.

Last edited by a moderator:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Commenting on what others teams did in the first round of that draft is merely "whataboutism" (What About 'Whataboutism'?) that is used to deflect from the focus of the conversation, which is what you are doing. Who cares what the other teams did? We're here to talk about the Bruins and the team's drafting. In 2015, Boston was in a unique position, with three picks in a row in a prime spot in a deep draft, and deliberately passed on the two best players considered to be still available, namely, Barzal and Connor.

Ok so if we're going to only focus on Boston, do you know for a fact first Boston had them rated as their top 2 available and passed on them?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Its pretty simple. The Bruins just didn't pass on him once ,not twice but three times.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't care what you say. The 2015 draft has been a big piece to why our future is so great in its entirety. Very good draft for us

Zboril - Solid LHD of the future. Adds on to the depth

Debrusk - Phenomenally skilled all around player with a great shot and the heart of a lion

Senyshyn - This dude makes me want to blow my brains out and I have no hope for him. One bad, big deal

Carlo - Our shutdown dman of the future. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Eichel, Skinner, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point: Meet Brandon Carlo. He'll be owning your ass once he reaches his peak. Also still has some solid offensive upside to at least become a potential 30 point dman.

Lauzon - LHD who has played great in his short time in the big leagues. Looks like he and Vaak are the future on the left with Zboril.

JFK - Good 3rd line center of the future . . . and present. If he bypasses all expectations then he can be a good 2C for us.

People can moan and groan about Chabot and Barzal and Connor, but every team makes draft mistakes. 25 teams missed on Pastrnak and he's at least the 3rd best player in that draft and I'm going on a limb and saying he was the best.

Mac also a top 5 player at least in the 2016 draft. Future cornerstone dman.

So any Isles fans. News flash. You took ****ing Dal Colle over Pastrnak.

Zboril over Chabot looks like the worst move to me

Reactions: Lo97

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018

Chabot wasn't a consensus top pick there, all my post was about two players who were gifted to the Bruins like Seguin and Hamilton once were. That has nothing to do with Chabot, Chabot is an hindsight thing, everybody was laughing at the Bruins post draft and nobody laughed because of Chabot. Chabot get mention NOW because he's a superstar who happen to get drafted in the next 3 picks after the Bruins so it's easy to mention him, but I repeat, it's only an hindsight thing.

Reactions: Estlin

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sickest part of not drafting Barzal was not trading down if your intention was to pass on him. So so gross.

To be fair they had intel that Senyshyn was getting taken late in the first, and who knows if the team they had them would trade with Boston. Maybe Sweeney tried, we really won’t know

Zboril was drafted where he was ranked and the bruins needed stud d prospects at the time (the fact it ended up being the second round d picks excelling so far who woulda thunk) If you complain about the barzal pick you can’t complain about the Zboril pick, can’t have both

DeBrusk was bemoaned st the time but clearly was a good pick

So really the only question is Senyshyn. If he ends up being a good speedy goal scorer with some power and drive to his game, and barzal goes on to be a good center that can be shut down with physical play, id say it was a good pick long term. If Senyshyn never really amounts to anything then it was a bad pick because barzal has already done well. If barzal continues to be 80+ point player and Senyshyn makes it and carved out the power forward type role it’s really up for debates on hockey boards and not worth real tangible regret by the bruins. You also have to consider not jsut barzal but other players doing far superior to any of the three picks by the bruins but most specifically Senyshyn.

Can’t really say what the draft was until a long time from now, but obviously with the benefit of hindsight, it looks terrible, the bruins desperately need a player like barzal right now. They also desperately need a power wing that can snipe, but only barzal has shown he can do their role well and at the nhl level. The real curiosity to me is what did the bruins see in the interview that made them pass , was it the same thing that the other twelve teams saw?

I hope Senyshyn pans out, not because I don’t want to regret the draft, but because the bruins could really use a player of his type. But they also need some centers with more oomph to their game and the closest they have to that right now is Frederic who’s a little ways away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad