The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
no, but when the #1 glaring issue on your team is lack of top 6 forwards, principle among which is not having any elite center prospects...

you're damn right people are going to harp on passing on arguably the best young center (and by far the BPA at the time) in the league on 3 straight picks

106 pts in 111 games and onyl 21 years old.

Thats someone handing you the keys to a Ferrari and you pass it up for 3 Hondas

lol how do you figure? They need to add one top 6 forward and even that could wait if we had a competent 3rd line. The glaring issue with this team is lack of scoring from the bottom 6. they are rolling two 4th lines. Heinen is fine on the 2nd line if you could count on the 3rd line to produce but both the bottom 6 lines are giving us nothing right now. that is the #1 glaring issue on the team.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Debrusk
Carlo
JFK
Lauzon
Zboril

Have all played for Boston this year from that draft. That’s 1/2 of the players from that draft. Pining for the “one” that got away is pretty silly. If you want to **** on a draft look at 2011-13.

While it's true that the players that you mentioned above have all played in Boston, at varying lengths of time and degrees of success, the fact remains that Boston lacks not only reliable secondary scoring, but also a future #1 C. Bergeron and Krejci are on the wrong side of 30 and Studnicka, JFK and Frederic appear to be, should they reach their potential, either #2 or #3 centers. Who in the organization is going to take the #1 C mantle from Bergeron? Boston gave away Seguin and deliberately passed on Barzal. Choosing the latter in 2015 would have filled the gap of a future #1 C and having him in Boston would have been an enormous boost to improving the team's secondary scoring.

I'm rooting for Senyshyn to do well, but selecting him over Barzal remains, at this time, a mistake.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
I used to be pissed because the 3 guys I wanted (Barzal, Connor and Konecny) have all pretty much paid immediate dividends for their respective clubs, but then I look at Arizona, NJ and Florida and feel much better.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
While it's true that the players that you mentioned above have all played in Boston, at varying lengths of time and degrees of success, the fact remains that Boston lacks not only reliable secondary scoring, but also a future #1 C. Bergeron and Krejci are on the wrong side of 30 and Studnicka, JFK and Frederic appear to be, should they reach their potential, either #2 or #3 centers. Who in the organization is going to take the #1 C mantle from Bergeron? Boston gave away Seguin and deliberately passed on Barzal. Choosing the latter in 2015 would have filled the gap of a future #1 C and having him in Boston would have been an enormous boost to improving the team's secondary scoring.

I'm rooting for Senyshyn to do well, but selecting him over Barzal remains, at this time, a mistake.

Had they kept Seguin, and even had only 1 pick in that 2015 1st round, Barzal might have still been available. Imagine the possiblities.

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Review of picks made not descions

Odds of 1st round pick playing 246 nhl career games ~ 56%

Odds of 2nd round pick playing 246 nhl career games ~ 22%

SECOND ROUND today

Carlo

I love this pick and player and his long term projection. By mid 20’s he will be top level of shutdown D in league

As he gains experience he will jump up more in play. He’s shown more physicality as he morphs from playing against guys he admired growing up to guys he played against growing up. He’s a 15+ year second pair on an elite team

Lauzon

He’s surprised me how close he is to full time duty. He’s a good skater with very good size and outstanding compete level. He’s physical and has some natural nasty but more ‘get the f*** out of the front of net area.’

He’s an answer to softness

Only concern is history of concussions

Long term he projects top 6 with likely second pair 5x5 and regular rotation PK

Carlo & Lauzon look like great picks

JFK

After Marchand’s

20 GP 0 G 1 A 1 Pt 20 PIM -3 +/-

Marchand was better AHL player than JFK and was fearless

JFK first 10 NHL games were better than Marchand

I honestly have no idea where this player will go at this point

He has ironically stuck his nose in their much more than I expected and I haven’t seen much of the Krejci slow the game down

Encouraging is he’s watching less and involved more

Obviously incomplete but shaping up to be a highly successful Saturday draft day

JFK can knock it out of park

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
it can be fun to imagine what if a draft had gone in another direction... and it might actually be clever if you dig deep and come up with an argument that supports how close it might have been to go in another direction

but honestly... bitch and cry over it???

why not fantasize what if another team took pastrnak before us... what if Bergeron didn't fall past the first round... or marchand…

what if the best player we had to show for 10 years of drafting was Zach hamil

I could certainly come up with ideas that are worthy to bitch and cry over

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Debrusk
Carlo
JFK
Lauzon
Zboril

Have all played for Boston this year from that draft. That’s 1/2 of the players from that draft. Pining for the “one” that got away is pretty silly. If you want to **** on a draft look at 2011-13.

This draft was hyped to be the best since 2003 and Sweeney had the chance of his life with 3 1st round picks in a row(top15), and came up from the draft with 0 franchise talents, and ignored the franchise talent.

Who was ranked miles higher than the guy they took over him, and that guy could have set the team for Sweeney for the next 5-10 years, and now he'll have to try to look for a player just like him. Whom are never available, fun right?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This draft was hyped to be the best since 2003 and Sweeney had the chance of his life with 3 1st round picks in a row(top15), and came up from the draft with 0 franchise talents, and ignored the franchise talent.

Who was ranked miles higher than the guy they took over him, and that guy could have set the team for Sweeney for the next 5-10 years, and now he'll have to try to look for a player just like him. Whom are never available, fun right?
Three first round picks in the top 15 - they wouldn’t be 13,14, and 15 would they?

I always thought of them as bottom 18 picks :laugh:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I am very happy with the drafts that the Bruins have had for the previous 4 seasons. You have to be patient with your picks, everyone develops at a different pace. Sure it would have been nice to grab Barzal and Chabot instead of JZ and ZS, but we didn't. However, we did pick Carlo and JFK in round 2 and it looks like Vlader will be a good pick in rd 3 and Hughes may make it some day with the round 6 pick. On a side note, lets give DS full marks for being able to re sign his players with good deals. The Marchand and Pasty deals are awesome for us. Lets hope he can continue this trend with Carlo and McAvoy. We need a third line center and another guy that can score up front, since we did not replace Rick Nash. I am confident we can compete with anyone after we make these additions. Trade some of the young forwards we have in the AHL, and include Heinen, Donato and Bjork in the mix, they all cannot be in our line up. Also, look at the pre draft list by Bob McKenzie, he would have picked JZ, KC and Konecny in our spots, not much different vs what we picked except ZS has not made it yet.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

3 goals minus- 12 not even the best scorer on his team. Franchise talent ? Not right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
3 goals minus- 12 not even the best scorer on his team. Franchise talent ? Not right now.

The lenghts some of you go to defend the draft.

85 points in 82 games as a rookie, 21 points in 27 games this year. Sure he's no Seny.
Guy has a damm ppg season under his belt in his 1st 2 seasons in the NHL and still.....

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Humor me for a moment. Lets say Sweeney holds a press conference tomorrow and says that passing on Barzal was the biggest mistake he's ever made and because of it he's resigning as GM. What really gets accomplished here? Is Barzal now going to be a Bruins? nope. Is the NHL going to re-do the 2015 NHL draft? nope. Do the folks who've been banging the Barzal drum have their ego pumped up because they feel like they're smarter than an NHL? 100% and that's why we'll never stop hearing about Barzal.

With that, I'll make a deal with you. I'll stop tagging you in post mentioning Barzal/Boston and in return you don't reply to my post, thus continuing this back and fourth and we'll both walk away.
If Sweeney did that I MIGHT think that he at least realizes that he has major deficiencies in drafting and trading, and that he might be interested in addressing them. Has nothing to do with vainglory as a poster, I would submit.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
The lenghts some of you go to defend the draft.

85 points in 82 games as a rookie, 21 points in 27 games this year. Sure he's no Seny.
Guy has a damm ppg season under his belt in his 1st 2 seasons in the NHL and still.....

His stats this season are awesome. Would definitely have the Bs looking to over take Tampa. Would be the 3rd best center on the Bruins. Defensive game without Tavares facing the top D are impressive.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His stats this season are awesome. Would definitely have the Bs looking to over take Tampa. Would be the 3rd best center on the Bruins. Defensive game without Tavares facing the top D are impressive.

Yes Bergeron/Barzal/Krejci in the middle would have given them a shot against anyone.

Laughable.
Might as well start drafting 3rd rounders in the 1st because "you never know".

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
After Bergeron and Krejci are gone, your 5-10 year plan, franchise center is again playing #1 defensive pairings. Set up for years.

Would have been very, very painfull to have a ppg C on the team, I'm sure he'd be 5/6th in the C rankings on the Bruins and playing in the AHL just like Seny am I right?

Reactions: Lo97

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Debrusk
Carlo
JFK
Lauzon
Zboril

Whip dee f***ing doo. Playing on the "Team" because they are so injury riddled and making the team out of camp are two very different things.

Also nobody is complaining about second rounders , most are happy with them, they are playing like second rounders. It's the 1st rounders that are playing like 3rd rounders that are the problem, see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad