The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
In 1987 ... The bruins chose Stephane Quintal right before Sakic .(what could have been)

I remember being with my nephew at the bell center years ago and Quintal was at the counter grabbing a hot dog and I asked my nephew "do you know who that is" my nephew was obviously too young to know. I just replied that's the guy who got picked right before Sakic... Quintal gave me a slight stare and walked away.. (I think he knew it was in good fun)

As far as today...well
Barzal and Connor in our lineup instead of Zboril and Senyshyn .... I sure can go with that ..
It changes the entire face of the team from non depth to good depth..

Chelios was mentioned turned out to be one heck of a Mtl pick but keep in mind so we're guys like Roy , Naslund, Lemieux, Ludwig, Leclair, Richer, McPhee (couldn't stand him but was a decent pick) Dejardins

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
i have to think team need was weighed heavily in that 2015 draft. We clearly targeted natural wingers over centers like Barzal or Konecny. I think Senyshyn over Connor or Boeser happened because they wanted Zach or Carlo with their earlier 2nd and couldn't decide between the two, so they opted to reach for Zach and get both.

yeah the team definitely had no need for elite young centers back then.

simply put, if you are going to pass on far and away the best player available 3 straight picks in the 1st round, you better be damn sure you dont have any misses in those 3 picks.

and frankly, criticism of that is pretty valid. whether some want to hear it or not.

also, longing for Barzal <> Senyshyn and Zboril suck.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
i have to think team need was weighed heavily in that 2015 draft. We clearly targeted natural wingers over centers like Barzal or Konecny. I think Senyshyn over Connor or Boeser happened because they wanted Zach or Carlo with their earlier 2nd and couldn't decide between the two, so they opted to reach for Zach and get both.

Then why not draft Connor with one of those picks if the team need was scoring wingers? He was rated higher than Debrusk and Senyshyn. (FWIW, I think that Debrusk and Connor are now a wash.) Moreover, why not just draft the BPA available—Barzal was it—and use him as a future trade chip to acquire that scoring winger? Who has more trade value today: Barzal or Senyshyn?

Reactions: Lo97 and Bergyesque

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
In 1987 ... The bruins chose Stephane Quintal right before Sakic .(what could have been)

I remember being with my nephew at the bell center years ago and Quintal was at the counter grabbing a hot dog and I asked my nephew "do you know who that is" my nephew was obviously too young to know. I just replied that's the guy who got picked right before Sakic... Quintal gave me a slight stare and walked away.. (I think he knew it was in good fun)

As far as today...well
Barzal and Connor in our lineup instead of Zboril and Senyshyn .... I sure can go with that ..
It changes the entire face of the team from non depth to good depth..

Chelios was mentioned turned out to be one heck of a Mtl pick but keep in mind so we're guys like Roy , Naslund, Lemieux, Ludwig, Leclair, Richer, McPhee (couldn't stand him but was a decent pick) Dejardins
Never got why Senyshshyn ,watched him in junior with the Sault ,yeah he had some good numbers his last 2 seasons,But was never that impressed I really think he would have been around in the second when they picked,but Barzal was a given especially when the Bruins picked.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Joe Pavelski in 2003,

Quintall over Sakic

Passing on Messier

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Never got why Senyshshyn ,watched him in junior with the Sault ,yeah he had some good numbers his last 2 seasons,But was never that impressed I really think he would have been around in the second when they picked,but Barzal was a given especially when the Bruins picked.

Also Connor is a good scorer.. the thing is if Senyshyn would have have been a star (might still be but I doubt it) DS would have looked like and treated like a genius ... If he's a bust as seems to be the case then DS will look like an idiot and treated as such for this pick
That's how it works

Also you mentioned you got to see him and you weren't impressed and yet the bruins were . You were right ..they were wrong and he wasn't slated to go before the second rd

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's easy to point after the fact when you know what guys actually became impact players. But to call the draft an inexact science is selling it way too low.

In terms of this topic though, one of the worst was Kluzak over Brian Bellows. Even if you wanted to take a dman there, you had Scott Stevens and Phil Housley to pick from as well. Obviously injuries curtailed Gord's career, but man, Bellows would have been sweet.
Stunning

Bellows was signed sealed and delivered in my mind and then - wham!!!

Reactions: LSCII

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Drafts are a real crapshoot.Its easy to think your found a gem and bust on it.The one that bothers me was not taking Parise over Stuart .I near smashed the tv.lol

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
For comparison purposes, there's a similar discussion going on in the Canucks board, here's a sampling of their draft history, I've bolded some of the more interesting recent picks:

1979 - Canucks pick Ken Ellacott. Mark Messier taken with the next pick.
1984 - Canucks pick Jeff Korchinski. Brett Hull taken two picks later.
1985 - Canucks pick Troy Gamble. Joe Nieuwendyk taken two picks later.
1986 - Canucks pick Dan Woodley. Brian Leetch taken two picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Petr Nedved. Jaromir Jagr taken three picks later.
1990 - Canucks pick Shawn Antoski. Keith Tkachuk, Martin Brodeur taken with the next two picks.
1993 - Canucks pick Mike Wilson. Saku Koivu taken with the next pick.
1997 - Canucks pick Brad Ference. Marian Hossa taken two picks later.
2005 - Canucks pick Luc Bourdon. Anze Kopitar taken with the next pick.
2011 - Canucks pick Joe Labate. Johnny Gaudreau taken three picks later.
2014 - Canucks pick Jared McCann. David Pastrnak taken with the next pick.
2014 - Canucks pick Jake Virtanen. William Nylander and Nikolaj Ehlers taken 2 and 3 picks later.
2016 - Canucks pick Olli Juolevi. Matthew Tkachuk and Clayton Keller taken with the next two picks.
Yikes that 80’s scouting team in Vancouver was awful!

Bure - Messier - Hull
Tkachuk - Nieuwendyk - Jagr
Hossa - Koivu - Linden
Courtnall - Ronning - Adams

And a defense led by Brian Leetch. Wow

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Then why not draft Connor with one of those picks if the team need was scoring wingers? He was rated higher than Debrusk and Senyshyn. (FWIW, I think that Debrusk and Connor are now a wash.) Moreover, why not just draft the BPA available—Barzal was it—and use him as a future trade chip to acquire that scoring winger? Who has more trade value today: Barzal or Senyshyn?
Barzal won Calder, Senyshyn hasn’t played a game in the NHL.

Maybe Hamill and Spooner scared the team off from drafting smaller centers?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Jeff Gorton did a good job in the scouting Dept as DS once said Jeff had his hand on every player drafted
Berg krejci Kessel lucic March
Only Kessel was a number 1
Since then the bruins haven't done well with their draft choices not in the first Rd

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
There was a thread on the main boards titled
"Which Team Would Have Benefitted the Most From Taking the Player that Went 1 Pick Later?"

I was curious on who went right before our top line guys. Not saying we were going pick these guys but we were that close to losing out on our stud line.

2003 - LA Kings take Konstantin Pushkaryov at 44 instead of Patrice Bergeron in the 2nd round. Konstantin played in 17 games NHL games and put up 5 points. Imagine the Kings with Kopitar and Bergeron down the middle, could have more cups. The walking alphabet played in the minors but mostly in the KHL where he never got more then 17 pts in a season.

2006 - Islanders take as the 70th pick in the 3rd round Robin Figren and the next pick is Brad Marchand. Figren never made it out of the AHL and is playing in Sweden. Where his season career high was 31 pts. Maybe Tavares stays with the Isles if he has Marshy on his wing and Bailey. Or Marchand, Barzal, Bailey as a line right now.

2014 - Vancouver takes at #24 Jared McCann , Bruins grab Pasta at 25. McCann is still young and can turn out decent with 23 goals in 188 NHL games to date. Imagine Pasta and Pettersson together.

Reactions: 00BW

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
I'd guess 80% of teams would've taken Strome in the top 5. So that is what it is.

I'd also guess that 80%+ of teams would've taken Barzal or Connor somewhere in the 13/14/15 slots, given the opportunity. Maybe even 90%. I think it's okay to say that the Bruins tried to be the smartest guys in the room, because they did.

I'm not saying anyone is a bust, by the way. I just find it jarring to think that what the Bruins did was par for the course in a 'wild west' NHL draft. It was unusual.

This is what I still find frustrating about that draft. They absolutely were trying to be the smartest guys in the room. It seemed like a no-brainer to draft Barzal. Yet they passed on him 3 times. 3. Times. I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but I hated the Senyshyn pick and still do.

Reactions: Lo97

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Carlo? Gryzlek?

Carlo looks like he will be a pure and fine defensive dman
Gryz is ok but not a top dman
Although these 2 are good to decent picks overall the bruins haven't done well and none are in the class of the players I mentioned .

Keep in mind that in the span of 12 years or so their later picks overall have done lousy
And that's Usually necessary to build a great team .
Look at TB..Point Kucherov Johnson

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Joe Pavelski in 2003,

Quintall over Sakic

Passing on Messier

Messier was a 3rd round pick so everyone passed on him. But the Bruins did draft Bourque & McCrimmon before him.

Quintall over Sakic was the big one. B's had already drafted Wesley at #3, but big right shooting Dmen were more coveted in those days than small, soft centers.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Also Connor is a good scorer.. the thing is if Senyshyn would have have been a star (might still be but I doubt it) DS would have looked like and treated like a genius ... If he's a bust as seems to be the case then DS will look like an idiot and treated as such for this pick
That's how it works

Also you mentioned you got to see him and you weren't impressed and yet the bruins were . You were right ..they were wrong and he wasn't slated to go before the second rd
I didn’t think he would go in the first round,but then who did,I guess there scouts most have seen something that made them take him in the first.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bellows was suppose to be the next "Great One". Decent career, but actually a disappointment compared to the hype.

One time 2nd team all-star, never a top 10 scorer, -120 for his career.
Bellows was a ****ing ***-****er

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: FanSince72

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I’m sorry but idc if Zboril and Senyshyn are still developing. Barzal, Connor and Chabot are as well, only they’re doing it at a high level in the NHL. Boeser too. We went off the board and that philosophy failed us big time. We don’t need for the careers to be finished to see that one was a straight up f*** up.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I didn’t think he would go in the first round,but then who did,I guess there scouts most have seen something that made them take him in the first.

It seems the bruins scouts were the only ones that saw something in him since he was not pegged as a first rder. I have to say I felt DS had pulled a nice one there. In fact it came across to me anyway that Zach had the most potential to be a dynamic player . Who knows maybe it can still happen but my excitement has vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad