The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just a terrible job at trying to troll the 2015 draft. How many teams passed on Barzal, Chabot? I'll never understand how Boston takes so much flak for not draft Barzal, but there were a lot of other teams that passed on him too....but it only matters that Boston passed on him. Honestly I don't understand why no one calls out the teams that pass on Rantanen

As I can't reply to your post I'll do it here.

Boston passing him 3 times makes it look worse.

This was seen as an awesome draft, there were plenty of quality prospects fighting for top10 spots, Sir Bob had Barzal 9th in his final draft rankings, Boston takes him at 13 and he's not a riser nor a faller on that draft, but Boston ignores him 3 times in a row and it ends up as a massive failure.

They took a guy who was ranked 1 round later than him so early in the 1st round. I'd get it with a later round pick.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
There's no denying it....Its a dam shame we missed out some very talented already playing NHL players. Thank god for Debrusk. Still holding out hope for Zboril and Zach. Can't discount them just yet but when you see some of the players they missed out on having such great success it's a pisser. Off my chest (for now lol)

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
As I can't reply to your post I'll do it here.

Boston passing him 3 times makes it look worse.

This was seen as an awesome draft, there were plenty of quality prospects fighting for top10 spots, Sir Bob had Barzal 9th in his final draft rankings, Boston takes him at 13 and he's not a riser nor a faller on that draft, but Boston ignores him 3 times in a row and it ends up as a massive failure.

They took a guy who was ranked 1 round later than him so early in the 1st round. I'd get it with a later round pick.

Honestly, at this point :deadhorse

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If I was GM I never would've missed a pick. Would've picked

Rhino - for sure - loved Reinhart (Bourque - pshaw...) - actually no Bourque but Rhino was really good. Ray would've been third so - o.k.
Moe Mantha - mostly because I loved his name or Rochefort to stick it to the Habs
MacInnis - because I had a crystal ball and knew what would happen to one of the most exciting players to enter the league at the time
Ron Sutter - hated Bellows as never thought he'd amount much because he wasn't Canadian nor from Viking Alberta
Markwart - the one pick they nailed in the last 40 years. I love this pick!
Mellanby - because having him and Markwart would've been the cat's pyjamas
Todd Richards - thought he was going to be good.
probably Janney
Fogarty in a heartbeat. f*** that kid was good.
Tie Domi to then play with Markwart and Mellanby - ohhh... what could have been a 4th line for the ages
Mike Speer - because I liked his name
Slegr for sure. Smolinksi would'a been my second choice so that's the one the Bruins did well.
Rozy (Muzz is my fave)

etc.
My team would'a so many Cups in the late 80s/early 90s

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
o.k. for anyone over 45 - I just made myself smile thinking they could have had a Markwart, Domi,, Mellanby 4th line. That would've been pure insanity.

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fun to say that but with that decision Sweeney created a major problem, now and longterm for the team with no idea how he'll fix it.

Fun to say he created a major problem now and long term when we have no idea if Barzal would have been the same player in Boston that he is w/ the Islanders

To go from Chara/Bergeron/Marchand to Barzal/Pasta/McAvoy would have been pretty fun.

Maybe? who knows, it'll forever remain a mystery since again we don't know if Barzal is the same player in Boston.

Anyways, as fun as the "what if" game is, there are billions upon billions of outcomes. Rather not continue to to keep dwelling on those billions upon billions of outcomes and focus my energy on what is what we actually have on our roster. You're are more than welcome to keep at it though if that's your thing. Enjoy :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fun to say he created a major problem now and long term when we have no idea if Barzal would have been the same player in Boston that he is w/ the Islanders

Maybe? who knows, it'll forever remain a mystery since again we don't know if Barzal is the same player in Boston.

Anyways, as fun as the "what if" game is, there are billions upon billions of outcomes. Rather not continue to to keep dwelling on those billions upon billions of outcomes and focus my energy on what is what we actually have on our roster. You're are more than welcome to keep at it though if that's your thing. Enjoy :)

This is what if game with 2 players who were ranked 1 round apart. But some have to try to make it sound like they were close and could have gone either way. If that was actually the case, which it wasn't so many fans wouldn't be so bothered with this.

They said no to the superior prospect 3x in a row.

Like I said earlier missess happen here or there, but this was a crazy reach at the time and looks even worse today.

Reactions: Lo97

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This is what if game with 2 players who were ranked 1 round apart. But some have to try to make it sound like they were close and could have gone either way. If that was actually the case, which it wasn't so many fans wouldn't be so bothered with this.

They said no to the superior prospect 3x in a row.

Like I said earlier missess happen here or there, but this was a crazy reach at the time and looks even worse today.

To each their own. Again, enjoy the thread. Being we're down 3-2 and more maybe heading for a loss, I'm sure this thread will be full of folks looking to discuss the subject. Good news is you can all chat about what life could have been like if we had drafted Barzal :cheers:.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

I think you have to play the game assuming every player would be who they were going to be based on who they’ve become. Are we saying that senyshyn maybe would have been barzal if the roles were switched? If yes then we are indicting Boston’s development program and not their drafting. Either way those 2 components go hand and hand and don Sweeney is at the head of both. So whether or not barzal pans out here or not would have been an indictment on Sweeney.

I’m not saying I wanted barzal. I always wanted in order, Connor, white, barzal. But I would have taken any of them over 2/3 picks we made in hindsight and 1/3 picks in real time.

I said I respected the stones on Sweeney for taking senyshyn and I also said if it doesn’t work out I’ll never forgive him for it. So kudos for sticking to your guns but your guns don’t work don.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think you have to play the game assuming every player would be who they were going to be based on who they’ve become. Are we saying that senyshyn maybe would have been barzal if the roles were switched? If yes then we are indicting Boston’s development program and not their drafting. Either way those 2 components go hand and hand and don Sweeney is at the head of both. So whether or not barzal pans out here or not would have been an indictment on Sweeney.

I’m not saying I wanted barzal. I always wanted in order, Connor, white, barzal. But I would have taken any of them over 2/3 picks we made in hindsight and 1/3 picks in real time.

I said I respected the stones on Sweeney for taking senyshyn and I also said if it doesn’t work out I’ll never forgive him for it. So kudos for sticking to your guns but your guns don’t work don.

@BB88 here you go. Enjoy!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To each their own. Again, enjoy the thread. Being we're down 3-2 and more maybe heading for a loss, I'm sure this thread will be full of folks looking to discuss the subject. Good news is you can all chat about what life could have been like if we had drafted Barzal :cheers:.

It just happens to be the teams biggest weakness and something that is only going to get worse.
It's also a weakness that's the most difficult to address in this league, you basically have to draft those guys.

I was supposed to watch the game in the morning :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Look @BB88 another one. I told you this thread would pick up with people you could talk to!

You don't have to link me with every post.

Just got tired of seeing the easy to say now posts like they weren't ranked miles apart on draft day already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You don't have to link me with every post.

Just got tired of seeing the easy to say now posts like they weren't ranked miles apart on draft day already.

That's how the opposite side feels everytime we have to hear about Barzal ;)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Except every damm one had them on different tiers.
Sir Bob had them 9 vs 40, but that's close am I right?

Superior on draft day, superior today. Nothing easy to say now.

There's no excuses for that miss.

Humor me for a moment. Lets say Sweeney holds a press conference tomorrow and says that passing on Barzal was the biggest mistake he's ever made and because of it he's resigning as GM. What really gets accomplished here? Is Barzal now going to be a Bruins? nope. Is the NHL going to re-do the 2015 NHL draft? nope. Do the folks who've been banging the Barzal drum have their ego pumped up because they feel like they're smarter than an NHL? 100% and that's why we'll never stop hearing about Barzal.

With that, I'll make a deal with you. I'll stop tagging you in post mentioning Barzal/Boston and in return you don't reply to my post, thus continuing this back and fourth and we'll both walk away.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'll still never get over passing up Barzal. I was screaming at my tv for us to draft him. Dunno how we ****ed that slam dunk up.

At the end of the day they didn;t like the player. They were not alone in that assessment, It worked out well for the Islanders.

I have little doubt that if the bruins had 16 and 17 in that draft they were still not going to draft Barzal or Conner . There is no doubt in my mind that if they had gone center with one of their picks it would have been Colin White

For better and worse this team does their own evaluation of players and is steadfast in their board. Whether that is drafting DeBrusk, Axel Andersson, Frederick, etc.

Funny thing is people will bemoan the Bruins passing up a couple of Bruins type players in 2007 and gambling on the small, most offensively gifted player left in the draft in 2007. They went the complete other way in 2015

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Debrusk
Carlo
JFK
Lauzon
Zboril

Have all played for Boston this year from that draft. That’s 1/2 of the players from that draft. Pining for the “one” that got away is pretty silly. If you want to shit on a draft look at 2011-13.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Humor me for a moment. Lets say Sweeney holds a press conference tomorrow and says that passing on Barzal was the biggest mistake he's ever made and because of it he's resigning as GM. What really gets accomplished here? Is Barzal now going to be a Bruins? nope. Is the NHL going to re-do the 2015 NHL draft? nope. Do the folks who've been banging the Barzal drum have their ego pumped up because they feel like they're smarter than an NHL? 100% and that's why we'll never stop hearing about Barzal.

With that, I'll make a deal with you. I'll stop tagging you in post mentioning Barzal/Boston and in return you don't reply to my post, thus continuing this back and fourth and we'll both walk away.
I agree you can't go back but you have to find skill creative scoring which this team lacks big time. I see nothing after 2015 draft to address this unless you also believe Donny kool aid that backes is still the answer.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

no, but when the #1 glaring issue on your team is lack of top 6 forwards, principle among which is not having any elite center prospects...

you're damn right people are going to harp on passing on arguably the best young center (and by far the BPA at the time) in the league on 3 straight picks

106 pts in 111 games and onyl 21 years old.

Thats someone handing you the keys to a Ferrari and you pass it up for 3 Hondas

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I think there is a middle ground to be had here.
The Bs brass found some jewels and at other times muffed the ball away.

The 2015 draft is probably the one I followed the most. I checked tons of mock drafts, watched some videos and read available scouting reports. I was "ready" for it.
When the Bs turn came at 13, I was pretty excited to see Barzal and Connor still there.
I was ok with Zboril, he was the best Dman left with Chabot, and with 3 consecutive picks, I had no problem going for at least one Dman.
Then came DeBrusk. I was a little suprised, but I liked what I read about him, so I was fine with this.
Then the sky fell. I thought for sure they were going with Barzal, or Connor.
I was mad. :mad:
Mad at Sweeney, not Senyshyn.
I get that every team has its own board, but there was some kind of consensus among "experts", at least when it came to Barzal: the guy was past his consensual draft slot.
You have 3 consecutive picks, you had your semi-reach (DeBrusk), dont' fool around with the third one and reach for another one of "your guys".
But Sweeney did.
There were rumours the Bs didn't like how Barzal reacted during the interview. Well, pick another highly ranked kid then (Connor ;)), or pick Barzal anyway and use him as a trade chip later.
Sorry here, but pick the freaking best player available!
I felt like Sweeney wanted to show the world that Donnie knows best, like the guy in your fantasy draft that always comes up with the long shot to show his buddies that he KNOWS his stuff.
I wish Seny all the best and hope he develops as the player the Bs saw in him. :thumbu:
Other than that, I think Sweeney did a very good job drafting, and I'm over it. But as far as that one pick is concerned, Sweeney simply dropped the ball.
Sorry for the long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad