The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If this is supposed to be a place to comment on the 2015 draft only, then why are most posters, including the one who created the thread, talking about other drafts? It is being derailed already.

The thread title was edited by a Mod.

The original title was (something like):

The Fish That Got Away 2015 Edition (But Feel Free to Bit** About All Missed Picks Here).

It was a little wordy, but it got the point across. This thread is for people who want to talk or complain about ALL the B’s missed picks, Barzal and others.

It’s so that people have an outlet and don’t clutter up every other thread with talk about Barzal, Connor, Chabot (for the ones with short attention spans), Getz and Parise (for the ones with long memories).

Reactions: Alicat and Estlin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The thread title was edited by a Mod.

The original title was (something like):

The Fish That Got Away 2015 Edition (But Feel Free to Bit** About All Missed Picks Here).

It was a little wordy, but it got the point across. This thread is for people who want to talk or complain about ALL the B’s missed picks, Barzal and others.

It’s so that people have an outlet and don’t clutter up every other thread with talk about Barzal, Connor, Chabot (for the ones with short attention spans), Getz and Parise (for the ones with long memories).

updated to include ALL.............have fun.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I know 24 teams that need to start this exact same thread but change 2015 for 2014...

Pasta goes #1 in a redraft

As for the missed Bruins draft picks, there are too many to list. Bruins would have won all the Cups in the history if they did hit for 100% on the draft. But no team ever does that and I'm more interested in the picks that the Bruins did hit than which one they missed, which is what all teams do.

Pasta
McAvoy

That's two recent huge steals.

Eat that Barzal.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think we are spoiled. The Bruins have hit on a lot of their recent draft picks, which I think is a reason why many have been looking back and seeing how much better they could have done.

In my opinion, that is not a fair assessment. Other teams have not had the success the Bruins are having in drafting and developing their prospects, but the focus is on the Bruins for being great at drafting but sucking enough for not being the absolute best.

Much of this discussion is based on hindsight. Sweeney had to rebuild the Bruins' prospect pool, and he did. It's easy to go back 3 years and point out who the Bruins should have picked, but there were a plethora of reasons and factors as to why the Bruins drafted who they did when they did.

Besides, how the hell would the Bruins be able to fit all of their current players and those mentioned in this day and age with a cap?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I have to think that the 2009 draft was one of our worst over the last 15 years. Now only assuming you can go back 15 spots per your spot here is what I find...

1st round - Jordan Caron
Missed - Kyle Palmieri, Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Clifford, Jakob Silfverberg

3rd round - Ryan Button
Missed - Casey Cizikas, David Savard, Craig Smith, Mattias Ekholm

3rd round - Lane MacDermind
Missed - Ben Chiarot, Byron Froese

6th Round - Tyler Randell
Missed - Erik Haula, Jordan Nolan

6th Round - Ben Sexton
Missed - Only Adam Almqvist saw any NHL action (2GP)

Missed players are guys who have played over 100 NHL games. Some may no longer be in the league, but they did spend time in the league.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I have to think that the 2009 draft was one of our worst over the last 15 years. Now only assuming you can go back 15 spots per your spot here is what I find...

1st round - Jordan Caron
Missed - Kyle Palmieri, Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Clifford, Jakob Silfverberg

3rd round - Ryan Button
Missed - Casey Cizikas, David Savard, Craig Smith, Mattias Ekholm

3rd round - Lane MacDermind
Missed - Ben Chiarot, Byron Froese

6th Round - Tyler Randell
Missed - Erik Haula, Jordan Nolan

6th Round - Ben Sexton
Missed - Only Adam Almqvist saw any NHL action (2GP)

Missed players are guys who have played over 100 NHL games. Some may no longer be in the league, but they did spend time in the league.

Great - I long forgot about Caron over O'Reilly (exactly what they need now) and you bring it up again.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Great - I long forgot about Caron over O'Reilly (exactly what they need now) and you bring it up again.
A long time ago... I thought Caron was going to jump Marchand in the depth chart. He had a solid rookie year and came in stronger than Marchand... then he fell off a cliff and Marchand grew far beyond any expectations I had of him.

Glad to be wrong in this case.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
To me, the 2015 draft should be link to the 2006 and 2011 draft, not 2003, 2007 and all. The 2003 and 2007 draft are an hindsight thing, the 3 others were not.
But but, why compare those 3 draft?
2006: There's clearly a top 5, Bruins pick fifth. They take the fifth guy from the CLEAR top 5, They could have go for Brassard, they could have go for Mueller, Okposo would have been a prototypical Bruins at the time, but no, they drafted Kessel who was universally seen as better, but was clearly the definition of a "non-Bruins" player. Result = Win for the Bruins

2011: There's a big 8, Bruins pick 9th, someone reach. There's one member of the big 8 at 9th. Bruins could have go for Beaulieu or at the time reach in Brodin, but they did go with the universally best available player. Re**** = Win for the Bruins

2015: There's a big 12, Bruins picks 13-14-15th. Two teams reach. There's two of the top 12 available for the Bruins. Bruins don't pick either and goes in the next gap of talent level for Zboril and Debrusk and go another gap further with Senyshyn. Result = Not much of a win for the Bruins.

The perfect post for a number of reasons. Nice work.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I know 24 teams that need to start this exact same thread but change 2015 for 2014...

Pasta goes #1 in a redraft

As for the missed Bruins draft picks, there are too many to list. Bruins would have won all the Cups in the history if they did hit for 100% on the draft. But no team ever does that and I'm more interested in the picks that the Bruins did hit than which one they missed, which is what all teams do.

Pasta
McAvoy

That's two recent huge steals.

Eat that Barzal.

This is the "B-b-b-but McAvoy/Pastrnak" excuse that I've encountered so much regarding the 2015 first-round picks of the Bruins. Sure, it's great that Boston nabbed Pastrnak and McAvoy, but how much better would it be if Boston had Pastrnak, McAvoy and Barzal, for example, instead of of Pastrnak, McAvoy and a still-in-the-AHL Senyshyn? Barzal solves the #3 center and secondary scoring woes that the Bruins are currently facing.

Reactions: Lo97

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ive posted 100s and 100s of times over the years about the luck of the draft. I have said many many times that if you get 50% right you are beating the averages. I also think sensyhn and zboril still have a chance to turn out ok.

that said... wow... theres some really good looking guys that would turn us into cup favorites in that 2015 draft that we probably were close to taking

I leave barzal out of the discussion... he was the OBVIOUS pick and we passed him 3 times. For better or worst I feel its a clear indication we didn't want him.

so I look at who we did take... what were we looking for?

honestly I don't have a problem with the debrusk pick. hes someone we picked because we feel he can score. hes a lw though and I think in 2015 we were already getting stocked with lw prospects. im not sure the smart pick was to take another LW. brock boeser wasn't much more of a reach if at all... also a scorer... the difference is hes a right hand shot that the team needs. I also think his being more of a shooter instead of a rusher would have played better to krejci's strengths. I think our team looks better today with boeser over debrusk

taking zboril… its probably clear we were trying to find a chara replacement. and that might still work out for us. no one will ever replace chara but zboril is kind of on a similar path. people might not remember but chara was a slow developer. chara had a total of 28 points as a 24 year old for his entire career. that said I think with carlo we got our chara replacement... or between carlo and McAvoy they give us what chara gave us. I definitely think a krug upgrade/replacement was the more attainable pick here. chabot was rated behind zboril but our scouts don't care about that. they take who they like. im not sure they liked chabot but I like to play the what if game. if some of them liked him, and it was a close decision who to take... I do like to imagine what if we took chabot? we would be looking pretty damn amazing on the blueline right now if we had McAvoy/chabot and carlo/vaanakainen to go forward with

3rd pick? we really reached to take a flyer on senshyn… jury is out on him. we knew he would be a project. what were we looking for... a big bodied speedster that might have a scoring touch? colin white is a good skater who was playing right in boston college. as a right hand shot he was reguarded as defensively responsible guy who could safely be projected as a 3rd line center/rw. theres still a chance he might score well enough to play above 3rd line. considering our need for a 3rd line center... this guy is the biggest miss of the 3 imo.

our roster just looks so freaking stacked with these 3 changes...

pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand
boesner/krejci/Heinen
backes/white/Bjork
wagner/kuraly/Nordstrom
{donato, studnicka,federic waiting in the wings}

McAvoy/chabot
carlo/chara
miller/moore
{urhu and lauzon and grez all around... krug probably gets traded if we got chabot}

if this isn't a favorite to win 3 of the next 4 cups... I don't know what would be... we have hit on a lot of picks so im not saying the scouts cant find great kids to draft... it is rather frustrating how close we were in 2015 to have the greatest draft of all time and how its looking today like we missed such obvious options to fill the holes on the team.

oh well... lets enjoy debrusk I guess... and hope we can soon enjoy zboril and senshyn as well. our scouts have been very good so maybe these picks will turn out after all

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
The worst one was Hamill over Couture.

I don't see it. In 2007 the drop off was after 6. NYI reach for Hickey, so Voracek slept to 7th. Bruins picked 8th so they couldn't draft them, they had to go in the next gap. Both Hamill and Couture were in the same gap in talent after the big 6. That's the same kind of mistake the Bruins did with Zboril over Chabot. If we want to compare 2015 and 2007 Bruins would have to had pick # 7 and pass on Voracek 3 time with them to take say two guy that were in the same gap and one who was a couple gap lower. There was more people in the Couture corner than in the Hamill one, but it wasn't a "everyone and their mother knew" like in 2015. Bruins were not the laughing stock of the industry after selecting Hamill in 2007 like they were in 2015.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
If this is supposed to be a place to comment on the 2015 draft only, then why are most posters, including the one who created the thread, talking about other drafts? It is being derailed already.
Because it's too hard to actually say how incredibly stupid it was to take Senyshyn over Barzal? :laugh:

Reactions: Lo97

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't see it. In 2007 the drop off was after 6. NYI reach for Hickey, so Voracek slept to 7th. Bruins picked 8th so they couldn't draft them, they had to go in the next gap. Both Hamill and Couture were in the same gap in talent after the big 6. That's the same kind of mistake the Bruins did with Zboril over Chabot. If we want to compare 2015 and 2007 Bruins would have to had pick # 7 and pass on Voracek 3 time with them to take say two guy that were in the same gap and one who was a couple gap lower. There was more people in the Couture corner than in the Hamill one, but it wasn't a "everyone and their mother knew" like in 2015. Bruins were not the laughing stock of the industry after selecting Hamill in 2007 like they were in 2015.

I didn’t see one service that had Hamill as a top ten pick. Couture was a consensus top ten guy.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
ive posted 100s and 100s of times over the years about the luck of the draft. I have said many many times that if you get 50% right you are beating the averages. I also think sensyhn and zboril still have a chance to turn out ok.

that said... wow... theres some really good looking guys that would turn us into cup favorites in that 2015 draft that we probably were close to taking

I leave barzal out of the discussion... he was the OBVIOUS pick and we passed him 3 times. For better or worst I feel its a clear indication we didn't want him.

so I look at who we did take... what were we looking for?

honestly I don't have a problem with the debrusk pick. hes someone we picked because we feel he can score. hes a lw though and I think in 2015 we were already getting stocked with lw prospects. im not sure the smart pick was to take another LW. brock boeser wasn't much more of a reach if at all... also a scorer... the difference is hes a right hand shot that the team needs. I also think his being more of a shooter instead of a rusher would have played better to krejci's strengths. I think our team looks better today with boeser over debrusk

taking zboril… its probably clear we were trying to find a chara replacement. and that might still work out for us. no one will ever replace chara but zboril is kind of on a similar path. people might not remember but chara was a slow developer. chara had a total of 28 points as a 24 year old for his entire career. that said I think with carlo we got our chara replacement... or between carlo and McAvoy they give us what chara gave us. I definitely think a krug upgrade/replacement was the more attainable pick here. chabot was rated behind zboril but our scouts don't care about that. they take who they like. im not sure they liked chabot but I like to play the what if game. if some of them liked him, and it was a close decision who to take... I do like to imagine what if we took chabot? we would be looking pretty damn amazing on the blueline right now if we had McAvoy/chabot and carlo/vaanakainen to go forward with

3rd pick? we really reached to take a flyer on senshyn… jury is out on him. we knew he would be a project. what were we looking for... a big bodied speedster that might have a scoring touch? colin white is a good skater who was playing right in boston college. as a right hand shot he was reguarded as defensively responsible guy who could safely be projected as a 3rd line center/rw. theres still a chance he might score well enough to play above 3rd line. considering our need for a 3rd line center... this guy is the biggest miss of the 3 imo.

our roster just looks so freaking stacked with these 3 changes...

pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand
boesner/krejci/Heinen
backes/white/Bjork
wagner/kuraly/Nordstrom
{donato, studnicka,federic waiting in the wings}

McAvoy/chabot
carlo/chara
miller/moore
{urhu and lauzon and grez all around... krug probably gets traded if we got chabot}

if this isn't a favorite to win 3 of the next 4 cups... I don't know what would be... we have hit on a lot of picks so im not saying the scouts cant find great kids to draft... it is rather frustrating how close we were in 2015 to have the greatest draft of all time and how its looking today like we missed such obvious options to fill the holes on the team.

oh well... lets enjoy debrusk I guess... and hope we can soon enjoy zboril and senshyn as well. our scouts have been very good so maybe these picks will turn out after all

The modifier that makes this a sticking point is that they had three (consecutive) picks in the top 15. I mean, has that ever happened before in B's history? Maybe one of the history buffs on here will know.

This is what makes the Datsyuk, Brett Hull etc. arguments not all that relevant. It's not really a case of hindsight. It's just a unique and pretty weird scenario that played out.

They blew the chance to have multiple strong cup opportunities in the peak/twilight Bergeron years. Sucks to say it but it's true.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I wanted the Flyers to draft Dougie so Boston could maybe take Couturier.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
This is what I believe happened in 2015. The Bruins went into it with full intentions of drafting the best available defenceman with their 1st rounder. They then looked at several forwards who they believed might be available to them in the 2nd round. Getting closer to draft day I believe they started laying the foundation for the two major trades that would land them two additional 1st rounders with the intentions of trading up somehow to get Noah Hanifin. They made the Lucic and Hamilton deals, but Carolina balked at giving up Hanifin. This left them with 3 straight draft picks in the 1st round and this is where they dropped the ball. With their first pick, they select Zboril who they believe is the best available dman. As it turns out it was his team mate Thomas Chabot who is selected just 5 slots later. While this mistake has turned out to be very costly I can give them the benefit of the doubt as I believe alot of people had Zboril as the best available at that time. It is at this time however that the wheels come completely off. Mathew Barzal and Kyle Connor are still on the board an I think pretty much everyone thought they would take the two of them. I know I did. What I believe happened at this point, is rather than adjusting and taking the two best available forwards at this point, the Bruins decide to take the two top forwards they believed might be available to them with their 2nd round pick. It is the only thing that makes sense to me. I'm sure they were thinking wow, we thought we'd be lucky to get 1 of these guys but now we have the opportunity to get them both. Fortunately for them, Debrusk turned out to be a pretty decent call to at least save a little face. While Zboril and Senyshan may still turn out to be decent NHLers some day, the Bruins had the opportunity to make the 2015 draft into a franchise defining one but missed the mark. Chabot with McVoy would be the best tandem for years to come. Barzal would be the 3rd line centre they so desperately need. Heck, he'd be 2nd and Krejci would be 3rd.
I believe the Bruins are really good at finding diamonds in the rough but I also believe they fall a little too in love with some of them and draft them too early when there are much more solid pick available to them. I believe that is what happened here.
Wow, feels good to get that off my chest. Kinda like an alcoholic going to his 1st AA meeting. I'm the Bruinator and I'm a Barzalholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad