The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Whip dee ****ing doo. Playing on the "Team" because they are so injury riddled and making the team out of camp are two very different things.

Also nobody is complaining about second rounders , most are happy with them, they are playing like second rounders. It's the 1st rounders that are playing like 3rd rounders that are the problem, see?
It’s one of the three picks that people have a problem with- hell its only one of the 10 picks that draft that’s causing all this handwringing three years later.

No one had a problem with the Zboril pick at the time, no ones wishing debrusk away, no one would undo Carlo or Lauzon or JFK... and people are lining for the wrong guy anyway. Who could this lineup use more Barzal or Aho or Connor who’ve scored 2x the goals and play the wing?

You want to see poor drafting that’s hurt this club- take a look at the 5 or so years before 2014.

Wonder if the islanders or avalanche have threads like this one for that 2014 draft...

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
You clearly have no argument for the choice they made, as can nobody else either have.They messed up and now it's hurting them bad.

The 2015 draft for Boston will end up compared to other great Bruin drafts from the past. But please do your little victory dance and loudly cheer the great superstar who would automatically have chemistry with Heinen, Bjork and Donato on the 3rd line in Boston. If dancing on graves of GMs past drafts, in hondsight, is your thing then go for it,

If Zboril and/or Senyshyn every end up in the ECHL in the next few years I will come back n bow down to the king of draft predictors.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The 2015 draft for Boston will end up compared to other great Bruin drafts from the past. But please do your little victory dance and loudly cheer the great superstar who would automatically have chemistry with Heinen, Bjork and Donato on the 3rd line in Boston. If dancing on graves of GMs past drafts, in hondsight, is your thing then go for it,

If Zboril and/or Senyshyn every end up in the ECHL in the next few years I will come back n bow down to the king of draft predictors.

Their miss on Barzal is what will always be remembered.
This wasn't seen as a normal draft and Boston had 3 picks in a row, as I said before the chance of Sweeneys life to set the team moving forward.

I don't know why some of you have such a problem with saying Sweeney made a mistake by going against everyone else& how much Barzal would help this team.
It hurts the team so much today and looks worse for longterm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97 and Bergyesque

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know why some of you have such a problem with saying Sweeney made a mistake by going against everyone else& how much Barzal would help this team.
It hurts the team so much today and looks worse for longterm.

I don't think it is that anyone really wishes we didn't take Barzal. Look at how he's played and you can't help but feel that way. At the same time, how long does it have to whipped? And even worse, used to make it seem like the Bruins had a poor draft that year. That is where it gets silly. We Got JDB and Carlo, plus JFK who might have a nice future, and Lauzon, so a top 6 wing and a top 4 dman plus 2 players that have gotten solid NHL time this season (3 if you count Zboril's cup of coffee) and haven't been disasters.

Senyshyn and Zboril are second year pros, who have time to turn into solid contributing NHL'ers. Yep, we will have always missed on Barzal and <insert player name here> and that sucks, but it was still a solid draft by anyone's standards.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think it is that anyone really wishes we didn't take Barzal. Look at how he's played and you can't help but feel that way. At the same time, how long does it have to whipped? And even worse, used to make it seem like the Bruins had a poor draft that year. That is where it gets silly. We Got JDB and Carlo, plus JFK who might have a nice future, and Lauzon, so a top 6 wing and a top 4 dman plus 2 players that have gotten solid NHL time this season (3 if you count Zboril's cup of coffee) and haven't been disasters.

Senyshyn and Zboril are second year pros, who have time to turn into solid contributing NHL'ers. Yep, we will have always missed on Barzal and <insert player name here> and that sucks, but it was still a solid draft by anyone's standards.

You need to draft your franchise C's, and Sweeney choosed to ignore it, and currently Boston doesn't have any franchise C prospects in the system.
So he will continue to get ..... for it. It's a major weakness developing.

He gave himself the chance of his life to set the team moving forward and left the draft with 0 franchise talents instead.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Their miss on Barzal is what will always be remembered.
This wasn't seen as a normal draft and Boston had 3 picks in a row, as I said before the chance of Sweeneys life to set the team moving forward.

I don't know why some of you have such a problem with saying Sweeney made a mistake by going against everyone else& how much Barzal would help this team. It hurts the team so much today and looks worse for longterm.

It will always be remembered by you because you will keep bringing it up. You don’t know that Sweeney went against any of his scouts or Neely’s wishes. Unless you have some article that I missed were Sweeney said he went against the organizations wishes.

We shall see long term how Barzal does against teams #1 D pairings. Sweeney’s 2015 2nd round picks alone will be discussed for a long time in a positive manner. The other two 2015 1st round picks have not busted out of the league.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It will always be remembered by you because you will keep bringing it up. You don’t know that Sweeney went against any of his scouts or Neely’s wishes. Unless you have some article that I missed were Sweeney said he went against the organizations wishes.

We shall see long term how Barzal does against teams #1 D pairings. Sweeney’s 2015 2nd round picks alone will be discussed for a long time in a positive manner. The other two 2015 1st round picks have not busted out of the league.

Everyone outside the Bruins had them ranked miles apart, stop this act like they were anywhere close or are anywhere cloe.

Let's see how Seny has done against #1D-pairing in the NHL.
This defending is just embarrassing.

Don't even bother answering if you have nothing for Seny over Barzal.

Reactions: Lo97

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
lol!!!! this thread is brutal. who gives a poop if they passed on barzal. he has 19 points big deal? id take debrusk over him any day. he took debrusk, louzon and carlo all in this draft. yet people are still crying over one missed pick. a pick that clearly jumped in his development. you guys realize barzal only had 12 goals during his draft year right? shenshyn had over 20. the net year shenshyn scored 46 goals. statistically shenshyn is better. shenshyn is bigger stronger and faster and has a higher ceiling. calling sweeney out for not taking a slow playmaker over a guy who skates at an nhl level and can clearly score is absurd. its easy to look back now and see that so far barzal was the better option but its impossible to gauge a draft. i think sweeney is doing a good job drafting. he has drafted so much high quality d men i wouldnt complain. elite d are super hard to find. oh and barzal has 3 goals..... big deal. pft

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Everyone outside the Bruins had them ranked miles apart, stop this act like they were anywhere close or are anywhere cloe.

Let's see how Seny has done against #1D-pairing in the NHL.This defending is just embarrassing. Don't even bother answering if you have nothing for Seny over Barzal.

Oh I thought you would present information that Sweeney overuled the Bruins scouting staff. Guess not.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
lol!!!! this thread is brutal. who gives a poop if they passed on barzal. he has 19 points big deal? id take debrusk over him any day. he took debrusk, louzon and carlo all in this draft. yet people are still crying over one missed pick. a pick that clearly jumped in his development. you guys realize barzal only had 12 goals during his draft year right? shenshyn had over 20. the net year shenshyn scored 46 goals. statistically shenshyn is better. shenshyn is bigger stronger and faster and has a higher ceiling. calling sweeney out for not taking a slow playmaker over a guy who skates at an nhl level and can clearly score is absurd. its easy to look back now and see that so far barzal was the better option but its impossible to gauge a draft. i think sweeney is doing a good job drafting. he has drafted so much high quality d men i wouldnt complain. elite d are super hard to find. oh and barzal has 3 goals..... big deal. pft
You should have read the thread title. Clearly, it's not a thread for you. :cool:

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington

Not sure if serious...You mean the Senyshyn that has played 0 NHL games?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You need to draft your franchise C's, and Sweeney choosed to ignore it, and currently Boston doesn't have any franchise C prospects in the system.
So he will continue to get ..... for it. It's a major weakness developing.

He gave himself the chance of his life to set the team moving forward and left the draft with 0 franchise talents instead.

They may have made a mistake, but they didn't believe he was going to be a franchise C. They were certainly not alone in that opinion or he wouldn't have "plunged" on draft day. I'm not even sure they weren't the only team that wasn't going to draft Senyshyn over him

The draft is such an inexact science.

Arizona received universal praise drafting their franchise center in Strome at #3, 13 spots ahead of Barzal. They already have given up on him and traded him

NJ thought they were drafting a franchise center in Pavel Zacha at #6, he looks like largely a bust at this point

Florida took Lawson Crouse at #11, and gave up on him after a year and looks like a bust

Noah Hanifin is an OK player, but sure doesn't look like the franchise altering player he was projected to be

To sit here and make it sound like Barzal was a sure thing franchise player for the Bruins is crazy. There is no such thing, certainly not outside the top 1-2 picks most years (and sometimes not even in the top picks)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Looks like Senyshn's figuring out the pro game in Providence.

Could be the one guy no one had a problem with picking in the first round (Zboril) could be the last of the three to put it all together.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
While Boston continues to struggle without secondary scoring, here are 2018/19 season stats, as at February 1, for some of the 2015 and 2016 draftees that the Bruins passed on:

Matthew Barzal
49GP 14G 31A 45P

Kyle Connor
51GP 22G 19A 41P

Travis Konecny
51GP 13G 16A 29P

Thomas Chabot
42GP 10G 29A 39P

Colin White
44GP 11G 15A 25P

Brock Boeser
38GP 16G 18A 34P

Alex Debrincat (drafted after Trent Frederic)
51GP 25G 18A 43P

Reactions: Lo97 and Clode

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
While Boston continues to struggle without secondary scoring, here are 2018/19 season stats, as at February 1, for some of the 2015 and 2016 draftees that the Bruins passed on:

Matthew Barzal
49GP 14G 31A 45P

Kyle Connor
51GP 22G 19A 41P

Travis Konecny
51GP 13G 16A 29P

Thomas Chabot
42GP 10G 29A 39P

Colin White
44GP 11G 15A 25P

Brock Boeser
38GP 16G 18A 34P

51GP 25G 18A 43P

If we're going to criticize, the only fair ones are Barzal and Connor since they were the slam dunk consensus choices where the Bruins were picking.

The rest fall under Monday morning quarterbacking... how could the Bruins miss on Datsyuk 6 times?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
If we're going to criticize, the only fair ones are Barzal and Connor since they were the slam dunk consensus choices where the Bruins were picking.

The rest fall under Monday morning quarterbacking... how could the Bruins miss on Datsyuk 6 times?

I disagree. Leading up the 2015 draft, there was discussion here about whom the Bruins would select, and Konecny and White were mentioned a fair bit. Even Boeser was mentioned a couple of times. As for 2016, I recall there being chatter about taking a chance on Debrincat with the second first-round pick.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Do other team's boards wring their hands about a draft as much as this one does? Particularly a draft that's produced 2 really good young players, has 2 more that would be in the NHL now if they were in another organization and 1 or 2 more that will be knocking on the door next year.

I mean I'm glad it's no longer all about trading Seguin, or before that when it was all about trading Kessel, or before that when it was all about trading Thornton and before that when. . . . .

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Matthew Barzal
49GP 14G 31A 45P

Kyle Connor
51GP 22G 19A 41P

Travis Konecny
51GP 13G 16A 29P

Thomas Chabot
42GP 10G 29A 39P

Colin White
44GP 11G 15A 25P

Brock Boeser
38GP 16G 18A 34P

51GP 25G 18A 43P
Yes it stings but getting debrusk and Carlo were homeruns. Especially Carlo what a beast.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Do other team's boards wring their hands about a draft as much as this one does? Particularly a draft that's produced 2 really good young players, has 2 more that would be in the NHL now if they were in another organization and 1 or 2 more that will be knocking on the door next year.

I mean I'm glad it's no longer all about trading Seguin, or before that when it was all about trading Kessel, or before that when it was all about trading Thornton and before that when. . . . .

You're free not to come to this thread, you know.

Anyway, 2015 was the deepest draft since 2003—perhaps even deeper than that one. You shouldn't take chances and reach on players in such drafts when you have high picks in the first round.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You're free not to come to this thread, you know.

Anyway, 2015 was the deepest draft since 2003—perhaps even deeper than that one. You shouldn't take chances and reach on players in such drafts when you have high picks in the first round.
Sure, and the guy they didn't "reach" on with those "high picks" in the first round is the most disappointing of the three to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad