The Pittsburgher Thread: Want Negativity? Stop and say hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
so our biggest needs ilb and safety……..we are in trouble.

Hes right about the draft but there are still prospects at ILB and safety, just not as deep as those other positions.

Interested in seeing what they do in FA first. Will the Ravens reup Mosely? If not will we sign him?

If we could do that and land CB Byron Murphy in the first round...that would be two great pickups just about solidifying the defense, not even counting rounds 2-4...and whoever else available in FA.

Not giving up on Burnett/Edmunds yet either. Edmunds was a rookie and Burnett was hurt...he got much better the last few weeks of the season. Want to see what he can do to start next season..along with Edmunds. Maybe they arent the answer but shouldnt give up on that after one season. Adding Murphy and Mosley would do wonders like I said. Moving Bostic over to backup role with Vince. And no more Sensabaugh.

Murphy - Davis - Edmunds/Burnett - Haden . Hilton

Watt - Mosely - Vince/Bostic - Dupree/Draft/FA

Heyward - Hargrave - Tuitt

A much better defense. We'll see what route they take tho.

Like I said before if we can get any of

Devin White ILB
Greedy Williams CB
Byron Murphy CB
DeAndre Baker CB
Montez Sweat OLB

In the first round...we are set there. And weve usually been good in rounds after the first so we should also add a few other solid players. But one of those above would step in day 1 and be a solid starter.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Once again the Steelers choose "not to renew the contract" rather than come out and say someone was fired.

Reactions: KIRK

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Hilarious.

Now I wasn’t a fan of Porter and all his shenanigans off the field, but I find it funny that the Steelers were number 1 in sacks and they fire him, and Saxon turned Conner into a Pro Bowl caliber back and even had Samuels looking good and they fire him...

This a joke? Bell. Conner. Even Samuels with a 140 yard game.

Run game production really doesn't have much of anything to do with running backs. It's all offensive line.

Running backs get their real value in the passing game: picking up blitzes, catching the ball reliably, and RAC. I think Saxon has done a really good job teaching the passing game. Bell was not much of a receiver or a blocker coming out of college, and under Saxon, he developed into probably the best back in the NFL. Conner was basically useless in the passing game when he was drafted, and made a huge improvement in just 1 year.

I'm not giving Saxon much credit for what Samuels can do as a receiver, since Samuels played wide receiver in college. Samuels did miss some assignments in pass protection, but the dude was a rookie. To me, the all-around success that Saxon had coaching Bell and Conner outweighs the fact that a rookie back made rookie mistakes as a rookie. Especially a rookie who was playing slot or outside receiver on passing downs in college. He's starting completely from scratch as a protector.

The Porter firing I can get behind. Only one of the guys he coached has really improved, and when you add that to the off-the-field stuff, later much dude. Sure the Steelers were #1 in sacks, but if you look at where the sacks were coming from, most of it was interior pressure. They had three guys with solid to fringe Pro Bowl numbers as interior down lineman, plus the ILBs accounted for more sacks than all OLBs not named Watt. The Saxon firing is just...mystifying.

Reactions: Bingo71

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Hes right about the draft but there are still prospects at ILB and safety, just not as deep as those other positions.

Interested in seeing what they do in FA first. Will the Ravens reup Mosely? If not will we sign him?

If we could do that and land CB Byron Murphy in the first round...that would be two great pickups just about solidifying the defense, not even counting rounds 2-4...and whoever else available in FA.

Not giving up on Burnett/Edmunds yet either. Edmunds was a rookie and Burnett was hurt...he got much better the last few weeks of the season. Want to see what he can do to start next season..along with Edmunds. Maybe they arent the answer but shouldnt give up on that after one season. Adding Murphy and Mosley would do wonders like I said. Moving Bostic over to backup role with Vince. And no more Sensabaugh.

Murphy - Davis - Edmunds/Burnett - Haden . Hilton

Watt - Mosely - Vince/Bostic - Dupree/Draft/FA

Heyward - Hargrave - Tuitt

A much better defense. We'll see what route they take tho.

Like I said before if we can get any of

Devin White ILB
Greedy Williams CB
Byron Murphy CB
DeAndre Baker CB
Montez Sweat OLB

In the first round...we are set there. And weve usually been good in rounds after the first so we should also add a few other solid players. But one of those above would step in day 1 and be a solid starter.

CJ Mosley not being a Raven is unlikely. I would assume they bring him back to try and keep that defense together because they know their defense is what will keep them in games. The Steelers signing him if he hits the market is about as likely as them trading for Patrick Peterson at the deadline

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I see mock drafts showing the Browns grabbing Murphy and the Steelers taking Oruwariye from PSU...

Oruwariye as of now is projected late first to late second.

He isnt bad. But i still think that is a reach if we pick him at 20...

I'd rather have Sweat, Polite, or Wilson.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Oruwariye as of now is projected late first to late second.

He isnt bad. But i still think that is a reach if we pick him at 20...

I'd rather have Sweat, Polite, or Wilson.
I agree but Colbert and Tomlin always seem to “reach” with their early picks...

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Apparently firing of saxon and porter was Art and Kevin's way of cutting ties to those Tomlin was close to. Lmao they are really showing him who's boss.

Reactions: Andy99

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Apparently firing of saxon and porter was Art and Kevin's way of cutting ties to those Tomlin was close to. Lmao they are really showing him who's boss.

If they wanna send a message to Tomlin, then just tell the message directly to Tomlin. Tell him the results aren't good enough, and that he needs to improve them or be fired.

Don't take it out on James Saxon. It's a waste of a good coach, it could make it harder to hire good assistant coaches (would you wanna work at a place where you could get fired because ownership isn't happy with your work friend's performance?) and it's not fair to Saxon.

Reactions: USMC607 and TNT87

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Not having Bell really hurt this team even though the yinzer nation thinks Conner is a good replacement.

Cleveland and Cincinnati need coaches? I’d rather be without a couch than have our dumb **** coaches.

Losing Brown will really hinder JuJu now that teams won’t have to worry about ANY other receiver.

I think this team sinks to 6 or 7 wins tops next year.

The window is closed. No team can recover after losing Bell and Brown. It’s a shame that this team pissed away the last 9 years.

The owner sucks, the gm sucks and the coaches really suck.

Cleveland is better off today than we are. Let that sink in.
Next year is a new year. There were a fair share of bounces/bad calls that didn't go their way and could've really changed numerous games. And no, I'm not excusing Tomlin/the coaching - it sucks. But to say they won't even contend/lose 9 or 10 games with a hall of fame QB, elite O-line, still some very solid skill position players returning... not buying that.

I say at the worst, they'll go 8-8. Which is still terrible like this year (and a few others under Tomlin), because you miss the playoffs and don't get the benefit of a very high draft pick, plus less heat on the coaches (because they can take the "aw shucks" approach like I did in my first 2 sentences above).

But, speaking objectively and as a fan, they should still *at least* contend.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Itll happen.

In 5 years. Need to fire 2 position coaches each year first.

Lol...death by 1000 cuts...just sack the lot of them and get it over with...honestly ridiculous...it’s not like Tomlin hasn’t had 12 years here...if he still needs to be chastened like a small child, get him the **** out of here...

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
just sack the lot of them and get it over with

Some of the coaches are really good coaches. John Mitchell is excellent. Munchak is easily the best line coach in the game. James Daniel has done some incredible work with a bunch of different TEs. Jerry Olsavsky turned Shazier from a guy who could run 40 yards really fast into a true defensive playmaker, and also made something out of nothing with Vince Williams and LJ Fort. Saxon did a great job developing a couple young backs. And as much as I'm not an empty backfield guy philisophically, Randy Fichner outcoached Bill Belicheck, which is pretty freakin hard to do.

The problem is that Tomlin has not replicated his early-career results and coordinator-in-waiting situations like Keith Butler (especially with a guy like him who had essentially zero coordinator experience) are just stupid.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Whens the last time a mock got the Steelers pick right?

Well whoever mocks have us taking, can be sure that player will go higher than where we pick. Teams(especially in our division) just look at our board(who we visit..invite to dinner..etc) and base their picks off of that.

Lost out on William Jackson because of it. LVE went way higher than he normally would have. And so on.

Time to put out some fake names. Show interest in the PSU CB(not that hes bad..hes actually good but Murphy is better) and watch Cleveland take him instead. Hell maybe even goes to Cincy way higher. Theyve been copying our board for years.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Some of the coaches are really good coaches. John Mitchell is excellent. Munchak is easily the best line coach in the game. James Daniel has done some incredible work with a bunch of different TEs. Jerry Olsavsky turned Shazier from a guy who could run 40 yards really fast into a true defensive playmaker, and also made something out of nothing with Vince Williams and LJ Fort. Saxon did a great job developing a couple young backs. And as much as I'm not an empty backfield guy philisophically, Randy Fichner outcoached Bill Belicheck, which is pretty freakin hard to do.

The problem is that Tomlin has not replicated his early-career results and coordinator-in-waiting situations like Keith Butler (especially with a guy like him who had essentially zero coordinator experience) are just stupid.

When we lost our talent on defense...it exposed the coaching. We had guys who were the best at their position in Polamalu, Hampton, A. Smith, Harrison (at one point), etc. Farrior was a great leader. Porter was great. Ike Taylor was solid.

And speaking of them...they could have acted like Bell and Brown...yet didnt. Is that on coaching or just a change in how players are these days? Id say more of the latter. Its not just us having problems with players...we just happened to have two of the best in the league.

Hopefully guys like Watt, Juju, etc change that. We have been drafting more character types for a reason. They saw this problem happening. Cant really blame Tomlin for this. There's enough to blame him for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad