GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Tomlin takes 1 quarter to embarrass us

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The Metcalf TD wasn't a nice catch. He bobbled the shot out of an easy ball and was lucky that he had just enough room to get a 2nd floor in. He got ****ing owned all game when Nelson was on him.

He does nothing but run in straight lines and catches the occasional pass.

I'd recommend not worrying about seeing him turn into an all Pro any time soon.

Meanwhile Moncrief can't catch... I guess keep fighting the good fight instead of admitting you were wrong. He only caught a 30 yard bomb and sealed the game against us but your right this struggling offense couldn't use him and we are better off with DJ and Moncrief with their 12.5 yards a game average.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Looks like we are in for a tough season.

I may take a pass on my annual trip down to take in a Steelers game this year..... :(

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
We won't know for a little bit, but when I saw the way he was flexing that elbow, it reminded me of Bradshaw's last game. Hope it's not that . . .
I guess that’s the way the whole darn human comedy keeps perpetuating itself, down through the generations, westward the wagons, across the sands of time until we...aw look at me rambling again.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
OMG, is this RIGHT?

That big 3rd and 16 where Wilson scrambled . . . only 10 defenders on the field?

Just glanced at the highlights and I only count ten... would have to see the All-22 or a backside view to see if they had a safety valve really deep.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ah, Mark Madden losing his marbles on twitter at people having a go at Ben..

You hate to see it...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Meanwhile Moncrief can't catch... I guess keep fighting the good fight instead of admitting you were wrong. He only caught a 30 yard bomb and sealed the game against us but your right this struggling offense couldn't use him and we are better off with DJ and Moncrief with their 12.5 yards a game average.

You may be right in regards to Metcalf, I had no opinion, I didn't watch much in college. But Johnson looks good to me and who's better is a question a long way off.

If you really want to break down film on personal decisions, show me some film on Chickillo..............tee fricking hee

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just glanced at the highlights and I only count ten... would have to see the All-22 or a backside view to see if they had a safety valve really deep.

What are the odds though that they only had 10 out there? You've got to think it was more likely than not given the Tomlin/Butler factor, yes?

Reactions: John Titor

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What are the odds though that they only had 10 out there? You've got to think it was more likely than not given the Tomlin/Butler factor, yes?

I think it’s highly likely, but given the down and distance... I suspect they had a safety valve really deep.

Someone will get a backside view and find out soon enough I’m sure.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Biggest takeaway from the game is how good Rudolph looked all while being forced to come in midgame and having his first drive result in a INT from another horrendous drop by Moncrief. Yet he still kept coming back and gave them a chance to win.

On defense...we have some players standing out. Nelson looks great. Bush will improve over time. And aside from the other well known solid players...Cam Sutton looks great when allowed to attack up close. Instead of making him play zone and 20 yards off the WR. Those b2b tackles for a loss showed what he is capable of.

Fire Tomlin/Butler.
Insert Rudolph over Ben
Trade Ben for a high pick
Trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Win your Superbowl.

Will Rooney finally act like he wasnt adopted?

And keep in mind the Hawks TDs came on a BS PI that was overturned. A personal foul on the FG attempt. And a score off of the Moncrief INT. And a horrible play from Chickillo who doesnt belong. Steelers D constantly had to "keep" stopping them. And a few guys were exposed. Continuing to keep guys like Chick over the young one who show promise in preseason is another reason Tomlin should be fired

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think it’s highly likely, but given the down and distance... I suspect they had a safety valve really deep.

Someone will get a backside view and find out soon enough I’m sure.

For the life of me, I can't find a replay anywhere. Just the screen shot.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
To me, the play calling is not up to snuff on offense. They just seem to predictable. Where is this guy Nix to block for a back once in a while. Saw no runningback catch to many balls. Losing two probowl type players will do that, I get it but something is missing. Idk.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Biggest takeaway from the game is how good Rudolph looked all while being forced to come in midgame and having his first drive result in a INT from another horrendous drop by Moncrief. Yet he still kept coming back and gave them a chance to win.

On defense...we have some players standing out. Nelson looks great. Bush will improve over time. And aside from the other well known solid players...Cam Sutton looks great when allowed to attack up close. Instead of making him play zone and 20 yards off the WR. Those b2b tackles for a loss showed what he is capable of.

Fire Tomlin/Butler.
Insert Rudolph over Ben

Win your Superbowl.

Fredo_Corleone.png

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was at this one. I love the fact that Rudolph stepped in and played well. Our pass rush showed up. This LB corps has some potential. I thought our corners played sticky. Our running game is atrocious.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To me, the play calling is not up to snuff on offense. They just seem to predictable. Where is this guy Nix to block for a back once in a while. Saw no runningback catch to many balls. Losing two probowl type players will do that, I get it but something is missing. Idk.

Scott Zolak on his show asked Hoodie
“were you surpised on all of the Steelers short yardage plays, BR was in the shotgun?”

BB: “well no not really. He was only under center against us last year one time, the year before twice, so we had the right people out there. They do what they do and don’t change a whole lot.

Your Pgh Steelers ladies and gents...

Can’t figure out how the Hoodie tricks em every time.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’ll never forget Belichick without Brady running a run-heavy game-plan then Tomlin expecting that same game-plan in the postseason and getting wrecked

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA

Fire Tomlin/Butler.
Insert Rudolph over Ben

Win your Superbowl.

And keep in mind the Hawks TDs came on a BS PI that was overturned. A personal foul on the FG attempt. And a score off of the Moncrief INT. And a horrible play from Chickillo who doesnt belong. Steelers D constantly had to "keep" stopping them. And a few guys were exposed. Continuing to keep guys like Chick over the young one who show promise in preseason is another reason Tomlin should be fired
It’s that simple, eh?

Look, I like Rudolph and I think he certainly is the future, but all this ball washing over a half of football is laughable. People thinking that inserting the reindeer over Ben will result in a Super Bowl? Lol

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The thing I keep going back to is this notion of Tomlin as some defensive guru. He was a defensive coordinator for ONE WHOLE SEASON in Minnesota . . . and coached the worst pass defense in football . . . coincidentally . . .

I dont wanna be this guy. But if his resume was that unspectacular then how did he beat Ron Rivera and Wizz out for the job...

He must have silver tongued them with his Tomlimisms that were brand new at the time and sounded like a symphony to Dan R.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The offense is so predictable the 9 year old sitting next to me successfully called about 80% of the plays
A 9 year old that’s proficient at Madden could call a better game. There are literally no wrinkles in the game planning at all. It’s the same old, “just line up and beat your man” bull shit from years past. The one time they did add a wrinkle (the flea flicker), it went for a big play...

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It’s that simple, eh?

Look, I like Rudolph and I think he certainly is the future, but all this ball washing over a half of football is laughable. People thinking that inserting the reindeer over Ben will result in a Super Bowl? Lol

You need to read better, he gave a list of things that needed to be done, which if completed I do believe they could compete sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad