The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers do Steeler-like things

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
If Conner needs to have X amount of touches for ball security, that speaks very poorly about him as a professional.

But I really don't think that's the case. Instead you're looking for any excuse, no matter how silly, to blame the run/pass ratio when two fumbles (and to a lesser extent Washington being an idiot on that one catch) make it all moot.

I've been reallllllllllllly disappointed with Washington. I talked him up soooooo bad when we drafted him.

I know hes having trouble with routes, and with Brown, JuJu, MacDonald, Switzer, James, etc he hasnt gotten a ton of looks.

But trouble with separation on press too? Dudes strong as shit and have lonnnnngggg arms. Dropping balls or doing dumb shit like diving when its unnecessary? That isnt at all like him.

I really thought he was going to catch on faster than JuJu did last yr. But my lawd I've been wrong.

Hope this isnt another case of the Sweed.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Man Tomlin’s pressers are a hoot. He answers almost nothing, and seems to delight in p-ssing on the questioners as often as possible.
Would drive me nuts to be a reporter and have to put up with that sh-t.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I've been reallllllllllllly disappointed with Washington. I talked him up soooooo bad when we drafted him.

I know hes having trouble with routes, and with Brown, JuJu, MacDonald, Switzer, James, etc he hasnt gotten a ton of looks.

But trouble with separation on press too? Dudes strong as **** and have lonnnnngggg arms. Dropping balls or doing dumb **** like diving when its unnecessary? That isnt at all like him.

I really thought he was going to catch on faster than JuJu did last yr. But my lawd I've been wrong.

Not sure what the issue is with Washington. His only competition for the #3 WR is Switzer. Hopefully he can get on track by next season. Usually, good WR's get it going by the end of their rookie year.

Even though the Steelers are stacked with talent on offense, JW should be no worse than 5th on Ben's targets radar behind AB, Juju, Vance, and Conner.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Ben called out Washington for his drop pass and needlessly leaping for it. I too like Washington and hopefully he can get the confidence back.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017

But trouble with separation on press too? Dudes strong as **** and have lonnnnngggg arms. Dropping balls or doing dumb **** like diving when its unnecessary? That isnt at all like him.

Many rookies don't do shit until their second season. I still have hope for Washington but not much this season. Hopefully Eli Rogers can contribute. He was good 2 seasons ago

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the washington drop having outsized influence on projections. it looks worse with every viewing

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If Conner needs to have X amount of touches for ball security, that speaks very poorly about him as a professional.

But I really don't think that's the case. Instead you're looking for any excuse, no matter how silly, to blame the run/pass ratio when two fumbles (and to a lesser extent Washington being an idiot on that one catch) make it all moot.

So every turnover is why they lost except the interception at the 2 to tie the game with seconds left... Gotcha.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So every turnover is why they lost except the interception at the 2 to tie the game with seconds left... Gotcha.

If those turnovers don't happen, especially the Grimble one, then maybe the Steelers don't need to reach the endzone in the final 2 minutes to win the game. This isn't very hard to understand.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If those turnovers don't happen, especially the Grimble one, then maybe the Steelers don't need to reach the endzone in the final 2 minutes to win the game. This isn't very hard to understand.

Same logic where if they had a balanced attack they put up more points and don't commit so many turnovers.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ben called out Washington for his drop pass and needlessly leaping for it. I too like Washington and hopefully he can get the confidence back.

No need for that tho and turning him into Limas Sweed. Hes a good kid..high character type.. How about getting him more targets? He caught some tough ones. Yeah that drop was bad..but who hasnt had them? Juju had plenty..diff was he had more opps. And if we didnt have any other WRs , Washington would be doing alot more. Hes out there being a great blocker...you dont hear him complain. He would never be a prob down the road. Listen to his interviews if you never got a chance yet.

Dont get why Ben keeps singling him out..this has started since camp. Is it because we drafted his college QB too, thinking those two are gonna be the ones taking over soon ? Lol

Washington gets plenty of snaps because hes such a good blocker. If he had bust written all over..he wouldnt be out there. And weve already seen him make some contested catches. He didnt have to dive on that ball, but it was a little overthrown.

As for Conner needing more carries not to fumble. No. Not talking about that...but it gets him in the game. Hes no Kamara. Hes a workhorse. As was Bell. And Bell had some ball security issues early on too.

This is why I wanted him back for this run. I want a vet RB(especially with his talent) for the playoffs. We dont know if Conner will step up come playoff time yet(Bell started off when we werent this good, didnt have this pressure..especially all of this drama). Too late now so only option is to get Conner the ball these last 5 games and get him going again.

It also makes us less predictable. Teams know we are throwing alot..just waiting for Ben to throw an INT.

And if we do play the Chargers again in the playoffs...this is the game to go heavy with the run. Then switch it up come playoff time in the rematch. Chargers are a good team but the good news is if we do have to play them twice...its at Pitt...in the cold. Where they have never been good.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yes Grimble shouldn’t have fumbled.
But he’s borderline, and borderline players eff up.
Connor is not borderline.
Ben is not borderline.
They both effed up too.

Madden wants to give them a pass cos they’re such good players.
I suppose so.
But I want my top players to not make the same eff ups my borderline guys do.

This game was full of inexcusable errors. Many were physical errors.
Some were mental,and worse, some were coaching.

I forgive the physical first, mental next, coaching schemes last.

Even with ALL the ridiculous eff ups, this game goes to OT if they don’t go All Haley-Cute on first and goal at the two.

IMO that was most inexcusable of all.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yes Grimble shouldn’t have fumbled.
But he’s borderline, and borderline players eff up.
Connor is not borderline.
Ben is not borderline.
They both effed up too.

Madden wants to give them a pass cos they’re such good players.
I suppose so.
But I want my top players to not make the same eff ups my borderline guys do.

This game was full of inexcusable errors. Many were physical errors.
Some were mental,and worse, some were coaching.

I forgive the physical first, mental next, coaching schemes last.

Even with ALL the ridiculous eff ups, this game goes to OT if they don’t go All Haley-Cute on first and goal at the two.

IMO that was most inexcusable of all.

Grimble being borderline is more reason for him not to screw up, not less. Borderline players only get so few opportunities, and they better not blow them. A 3rd string TE shouldn't fumble because he has an ego and thinks he can run through someone.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I forget who was asking if it was Ben or Fitch.. Here's your answer

Figured that. Common sense Ben does what he wants. Hes cost us some games in the past because of it too...but also won us alot because of it. So we basically have to get lucky he doesnt make a mistake.

I really hope Rudolph has what it takes to become our franchise QB once Ben is done. Another high character kid like Washington who will listen..coachable.

I dont blame Ben for only wanting to throw to Juju since I said the same thing on that last drive..he was the only reliable WR at that point. But Im a fan..not the QB. Ben needs to calm down and find the open WR. Yeah Grimble fumbled..McDonald had a drop in the endzone...Washington had a drop. Ben had an INT throwing to AB and Conner fumbled lol. So hard to blame him for being frustrated but hes 36..cant let it get to him and obviously did on that last drive inside the 5. Throws a fade to Juju...that was on purpose. Then panics on the 2nd play.

Lets see how he and the team respond this Sunday. Once again..team is faced with adversity. If they come out and win convincingly, we are in good shape going forward

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Oh and Melvin Gordon is out for Chargers(mcl tear..no timetable for his return)...no excuse not to stop the run now. Huge blow for them.

Tho Rivers will look to attack Coty all game. And pass 50 times.

Last few games we faced teams who went with the run more...gonna be opposite here

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You don't think 7 points would have mattered there?

Of course it did but shit happens. Grimble is a complete idiot too, he admitted he could have easily scored but wanted to run him over. Ended up getting knocked out by a DB half his size and is in concussion protocol now :laugh: All around L for that dummy. But the game goes on and they still had 3 quarters to get it right. They were even at the 2 to tie the game and Ben throws an int. Horrible gameplan/Ben is more responsible for this loss than a 3rd string tight end.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Of course it did but **** happens. Grimble is a complete idiot too, he admitted he could have easily scored but wanted to run him over. Ended up getting knocked out by a DB half his size and is in concussion protocol now :laugh: All around L for that dummy. But the game goes on and they still had 3 quarters to get it right. They were even at the 2 to tie the game and Ben throws an int. Horrible gameplan/Ben is more responsible for this loss than a 3rd string tight end.

Sorry, but those points change the game if Grimble just holds on and scores.

Reactions: KIRK

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Grimble being borderline is more reason for him not to screw up, not less. Borderline players only get so few opportunities, and they better not blow them. A 3rd string TE shouldn't fumble because he has an ego and thinks he can run through someone.

Sorry, I understand what you’re saying but No.
That’s reason for Grimble, personally, to not eff up and try to stay in the league a bit longer. Don’t be a dumb azz. Make the smart play.
It’s NOT a reason to expect him, a borderline guy, to actually perform better or smarter in the clutch than your top players. That is why he’s borderline. And so will be stupider and worse in the clutch than your best guys. You would NEVER throw to him on a huge play when better receivers were open. Because he’s borderline.

You pay Ben 20million to NOT be a dumb azz and force an uncatcheable throw to AB, thru multiple defenders.

You pay Tomlin and Fichtner to NOT be a dumb azz and get Haley Cute in the red zone.

Ben, Fichtner and Tomlin far less forgiveable than a dumb azz 4th stringer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

The Washington play that pissed me off wasn't the first drop. It wasn't even the drop on the bomb. In between, there was a play where he ran an out room. Instead of coming back just slightly to the ball as the pass was coming, he kept leaking the pattern out, which let the corner get a tip on him. One thing I'd heard is that Washington will fight for the ball in tight coverage. If he will, then I certainly haven't seen it this season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh and Melvin Gordon is out for Chargers(mcl tear..no timetable for his return)...no excuse not to stop the run now. Huge blow for them.

Last few games we faced teams who went with the run more...gonna be opposite here

No way. I'm told 50 passes is a recipe for failure.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

If Rivers is throwing 50 times you guys will most likely come up with a win. That is one thing that worries me with Gordon being hurt for the next few weeks is that the Chargers become one dimensional. I love Rivers and trust him in any situation but one dimensional teams just don’t win many games in the NFL. Last report I read on Gordon was a sprained mcl and he is week to week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad