The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers do Steeler-like things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
There’s so many issues to point to, but I think the 1st and goal sequence at the end might be the winner. It’s what 2-3 yards? Yes Connor fumbled prior, but you’ve got the best Oline in football and a great lead blocker in Nix who had a good game. Let the kid do it. I think it has to be meat and potatoes for 3 of 4 downs at least.
The fade on 1st down was moronic. Fades blow. That was asinine.
And really, they did the same BS last week, and got saved when Ben, as the last option, got the nose of the football thru the plane in the last seconds. That could easily have been a disaster.
WTF is this sudden cuteness when near the EZ given their prior consistent success, great Oline, Connor’s 9 TDs and so on?

It smacks of Haley “I’m smarter than you” BS.
It nearly cost them last week, and did this week. Is this Fichtner?

Reactions: TNT87

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
There’s so many issues to point to, but I think the 1st and goal sequence at the end might be the winner. It’s what 2-3 yards? Yes Connor fumbled prior, but you’ve got the best Oline in football and a great lead blocker in Nix who had a good game. Let the kid do it. I think it has to be meat and potatoes for 3 of 4 downs at least.
The fade on 1st down was moronic. Fades blow. That was asinine.
And really, they did the same BS last week, and got saved when Ben, as the last option, got the nose of the football thru the plane in the last seconds. That could easily have been a disaster.
WTF is this sudden cuteness when near the EZ given their prior consistent success, great Oline, Connor’s 9 TDs and so on?

It smacks of Haley “I’m smarter than you” BS.
It nearly cost them last week, and did this week. Is this Fichtner?

It's Ben. Ficthner wants to run the ball. I honestly think it's Ben trying to pad his stats.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Fumble in the first half isn't the reason they lost. Jags were rushing 3-4 and dropping everybody into coverage there was no where to throw. You run to open the pass. They got lucky the Jags got cocky and played man to man and Steelers won their match-ups by a hair. There was no reason for them to play man. They play zone and Steelers lose. Then yesterday, 27th rank rush defense and didn't even try to establish the run. They had one of the best redzone % when Conner was rushing for touchdowns. Meaningless stat? Ben is 3-7 when attempting 50 passes.

It's not winning football. No matter who the team or quarterback is.

So when they fall behind are they supposed to play three yards and a cloud of dust?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
So when they fall behind are they supposed to play three yards and a cloud of dust?

They only get behind to the Jags because of interceptions because they aren't running so the Jags drop everybody into coverage. There's no where to throw. Broncos game they were up 7 and running it down their throat and then they got stopped on 1st and freak out and go 4 wide and Ben ends up throwing an interception on that drive. Then the Broncos score in two plays because of the short field. That game was never out of hand. No excuse to throw the ball 50+ times.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They only get behind to the Jags because of interceptions because they aren't running so the Jags drop everybody into coverage. There's no where to throw. Broncos game they were up 7 and running it down their throat and then they got stopped on 1st and freak out and go 4 wide and Ben ends up throwing an interception on that drive. Then the Broncos score in two plays because of the short field. That game was never out of hand. No excuse to throw the ball 50+ times.

It also doesn't matter if Grimble and Conner don't fumble. You're looking at a statistic and completely ignoring context. This isn't the 1990's anymore.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I think people are losing their minds a bit too much.

Turnovers cost them the game. End of story that happens.

Only think I don't like (and this applies to football in general), is the play call on 3rd down on the final drive. I feel OC's get nervous and try to be too fancy by the goal line. The game doesn't change. It's simply more guys in a smaller space. Easier said than done, but you practice your 4 yards and in plays every day. Pick your best 5 or 6 and put them on the Playsheet.

Again, easier said than done.

Reactions: Shockmaster

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We better finish the year strong because Texans keep winning. We might finish 4th seed and have to face Chargers first round.

Get a taste at that next Sunday night at home...which would be the same case if we played them in playoffs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We better finish the year strong because Texans keep winning. We might finish 4th seed and have to face Chargers first round.

Get a taste at that next Sunday night at home...which would be the same case if we played them in playoffs

Steelers are going to have to win out I think to get a bye....

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Id even take 3rd seed...to avoid Chargers in first round. Even if we beat them Sunday...doing it again is even harder. But who knows...maybe we match up well with them. We will see.

Honestly I dont care where we finish if we can just stay healthy this playoff run. Something we havent seen in years. There was always a top player missing.

Anyway, this loss basically put us in playoff mode to finish the season. Won 6 in a row coming in...dont have to worry about peaking too early now. I want to see how they approach these games coming up. If they can stop with the turnovers on offense. If they can do that I think we can beat anyone.

5 games left to figure things out. I got wins against Chargers and Raiders to put us at 9-3-1 . Lets see how healthy we are after that.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Id even take 3rd seed...to avoid Chargers in first round. Even if we beat them Sunday...doing it again is even harder. But who knows...maybe we match up well with them. We will see.

Honestly I dont care where we finish if we can just stay healthy this playoff run. Something we havent seen in years. There was always a top player missing.

Anyway, this loss basically put us in playoff mode to finish the season. Won 6 in a row coming in...dont have to worry about peaking too early now. I want to see how they approach these games coming up. If they can stop with the turnovers on offense. If they can do that I think we can beat anyone.

5 games left to figure things out. I got wins against Chargers and Raiders to put us at 9-3-1 . Lets see how healthy we are after that.

Honestly more worried about the Raiders...another trap game and we usually play crappy out there....

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Realistically we won't get a bye and we will be lucky to get the third seed.

The ONLY shred of hope for any of it is if New Orleans has nothing to play for on the 23rd and starts resting some of their starters, and New England has another stinker of a road game at Heinz Field.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly more worried about the Raiders...another trap game and we usually play crappy out there....

Idk they are so bad this year dont think we have to worry about that. Especially this late in year and just losing to Broncos. Denver is actually good(playing their best right now..if we played them earlier may have ended diff) . And we still should have won.

They know they cant have anymore games like this...and if they do? We have more problems than we thought we had.

We already wasted most of AB's career without a title...and Bell gone without one. Now Juju is turning into a #1. We cant keep underacheiving. If they go one and done in playoffs...while dropping a few more games in reg season....I cant see how you dont make changes.

After that Jags game...no way I would have thought we would turn the ball over 4 times. But the first two werent on Ben...he was actually doing great. If Grimble and Conner dont do that...Ben never does imo. They put us in that situation. Good news is Grimble isnt our top TE...but we do have to see what Conner does these next few weeks.

Have to get him going again. Let him run the ball and get his confidence back.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Realistically we won't get a bye and we will be lucky to get the third seed.

The ONLY shred of hope for any of it is if New Orleans has nothing to play for on the 23rd and starts resting some of their starters, and New England has another stinker of a road game at Heinz Field.

Well see..one thing about Texans and Chargers..is they have had the easiest schedules in the league.

Im interested in seeing how we respond to this loss. Chargers coming off a huge win against a crap team..and we lost. If we win by 2 scores or more...im way more confident going forward.

At this point just letting it play out without worrying about future matchups..or playoffs. I wanna see how they respond this week. Conner should see over 20 carries.

And who knows with injuries that far down the road.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

The Texans schedule the rest of the way is Cleveland, Indy, at NY Jets, at Philly, Jacksonville.

Bet on 4th.

EDIT: I was going to say 'unless there's a full collapse', but truth be told the Ravens last 5 is at Atlanta, at KC, TB, at SD, Cleveland. I don't see them winning 2 more of their last 5 than the Steelers.

Whatever you're smoking and/or drinking must be some grade A **** :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, they likely would if they win that game

No, they wouldn't. IF the Steelers by some miracle beat NE, they'd be 1/2 a game ahead. That means they'd need to finish with at worst the same record in their other 4 remaining games.

The Patriots other 4 games are Minny, at Miami, Buffalo, NY Jets

The Steelers other 4 games are SD, at Oakland, at New Orleans, Cincy

The odds of the Steelers winning as many of their other 4 as the Pats is somewhere between none and as close to none without being none as possible.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We'll see how they respond this week. Not only do they need to win, but convincingly. Once again, I want to see what happens when this offense doesnt turn the ball over. Will it be a repeat of the Panthers game? Thats how good I think this team is when not beating themselves.

Not saying it will be 52-21 but a game where we dont have to sweat it out til the end. Our D is good enough to make stops here and there, I want to see a game where our offense puts them in good spots...not continuing to turn it over and forcing them to make more stops. Get a lead and see if they can make plays like we did in the Bucs and Panthers games(our only two games we got an INT for a TD).

No reason our offense should be the ones losing us games. Ben threw INTs against the Jags then comes out and plays great against the Broncos but Grimble and Conner ruin it. So right now alot is riding on Conner. Its a must we get him back to how he was playing before the concussion if we want to be a well rounded offense.

Give him the ball.

And yeah, this is why I wanted Bell back for this season. Not only in case Conner went down but adding one of the best backs in the league who has experience. Too late now. All on Conner to get back to form...but 9 and 13 carries a game isn't going to cut it. He hasnt had much wear and tear this season so this is the game to get him the ball .

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It also doesn't matter if Grimble and Conner don't fumble. You're looking at a statistic and completely ignoring context. This isn't the 1990's anymore.

You are ignoring context and logic. Conner never had an issue holding the ball when he was involved in the offense. Nobody is saying play yinzer smash mouth football but you can't throw the ball 50+ times and win. They went from the best redzone % to Ben having the most ints in the redzone on balls all forced to AB in two weeks.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't know. I have an odd feeling the Steelers are going to win the 4 other games.

tumblr_mu0ybk82rJ1qdboxco2_250.gif

I don't know about you, but watching a Tomlin coached game is a lot like this to me.

Groundhog-Day-quotes-3.gif

With that in mind hope dies. Not that I am known for my hopeful sunny disposition to begin with.

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Not too worried... Once we get into the playoffs anything can happen. Regardless of the seed we get.

Obviously it would be nice to get a bye. But it's not make or break for me.

Either way I keep thinking next yr is going to be our best chance. As long as injuries dont plague us.

We will have the same team offensively which is good.

But we will have a good amount of cap to help solidify our defense, and I'm hoping the draft is defensive heavy and the players we get can contribute early.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You are ignoring context and logic. Conner never had an issue holding the ball when he was involved in the offense. Nobody is saying play yinzer smash mouth football but you can't throw the ball 50+ times and win. They went from the best redzone % to Ben having the most ints in the redzone on balls all forced to AB in two weeks.

If Conner needs to have X amount of touches for ball security, that speaks very poorly about him as a professional.

But I really don't think that's the case. Instead you're looking for any excuse, no matter how silly, to blame the run/pass ratio when two fumbles (and to a lesser extent Washington being an idiot on that one catch) make it all moot.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad