The Pittsburgher Thread: The Steelers do Steeler-like things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
A lot of us are mad and typing up essays. Just to keep it simple:

Be smarter with the ball.

New England never has games like this and that’s why they’ll probably (IMO) be going to the super bowl yet again. Yeah they’ve had some bad games this year, but didn’t beat themselves with idiocy like the Steelers did today.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
We went from "good teams find ways to win" after last week to "bad teams find ways to lose" after this week.

tenor.gif

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Only thing I don't understand from some... you don't want the bye? Because if we get one, we'll have rust?? I mean... you play the games to get that bye. So many things can go wrong. Like.. actually losing that game for starters. Getting rest is huge. What if we play Baltimore? Bloodbath. Cincy a few years ago? When Burfict killed everyone. (I know that was in Cincy but the point remains) Anything can happen in this league, and in one that has such parity and is the only professional league that has byes, that is a HUGE advantage.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
It’s simple. This teams continues to make the same mistakes, have the same poor preparation, clock management, and is undisciplined. They are they’re own worst enemy time and time again.

The FG was blocked. Ok, it happens, but that guy from Denver has been doing that and the Steelers weren’t expecting it to stop him? Momentum shifts to Denver and they drive and score.

Grimble. You are taught in pee wee football to always switch the football away from the defender and possible contact. But no, he admits after the game that he could have cut inside but wanted to dish out some punishment on the play. So he keeps the ball in his right hand and lowers his shoulder when he didn’t have to. Moronic.

Connor with an inexplicable fumble after having a bad game last week and dropping a TD. He’s another one that refuses to take what he is given and go down instead of fighting for more and taking unneeded hits and risking fumbles.

Ben has 5 INTs in his last 2 games. As someone else already said, he’s Brett Favre. He’ll make a spectacular play that ooos and ahhhs and then make a boneheaded decision that costs the team.

Defense is what it is. Tomlin has been building this D since he got here and it still gets gashed repeatedly. And the secondary, Mike’s specialty’s is particularly bad. When the pass rush can’t get home, they are exposed badly playing their 15 yard cushions...

But you just don’t see the mistakes and the inconsistency from contenders. New England, New Orleans, KC, Rams. The Steelers have elite talent but they can never put everything together with consistency. They’ll have a blowout win and score 50 and then struggle to score 13 a week later. The offense will look unstoppable one week and then completely lost the next. They constantly shoot themselves in the foot and gift the opposition free points. You just don’t see those kind of wild swings from contenders.

You may see a mistake here or there from the Patriots but BB is on top of it in a hurry. The player is either cut or benched for the next game. I remember BB cutting their punt returner on the Monday after a game that he muffed a couple punts in. He benched players for running their mouths off the field as well. He benched Welker a few years back for taking shots at Rex Ryan in a press conference.

But Tomlin? Hell no. Players showing up late to meetings? Bah, no big deal. Players standing outside of the opposing locker room running their mouths? Forget about it. Players going crazy on social media? Hey, let it go. Penalty trouble year in and year out? Nothing changes. Confusion and discombobulation week in and week out. Not a problem.

This team is not tightly ran. It is full of dumb, selfish players that aren’t held accountable for their actions on and off the field. It’s a team full of big mouthed trash talkers that can’t back it up. It’s a team that beats themselves and takes themselves out of contention year in and year out. Sure, blame it all on the players, but it starts at the top. Preparation, discipline, accountability lead to execution on the field. There should be no excuse for miscommunication and disorganization that this point of the season, none.

This team has a lot of talent but they lack the football smarts to consistently make big plays and be contenders. The Pats may lack the talent but they make up for it with smart players that execute and have no issues switching schemes in the middle of a game without missing a beat. It is extremely rare to see Brady and his receivers not on the same page or the Pats taking stupid penalties, or fumbling the ball all over the field or Brady forcing balls into ridiculous coverage. They are a smart, well disciplined team that execute well the majority of the time and don’t beat themselves. James Harrison made it clear what kind of a ship BB runs when he said that he witnessed Brady running to get to a meeting because he was afraid he’d be late. You think Tomlin strikes that fear into his players? Naw, they’re probably live streaming as they lollygag in...

9-6-1, get ready for it.

Reactions: BleedsBlueSNRefugee

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Not to mention re: New England - the teams that beat them? Detroit and Tennessee, coached by Belichick disciples.

Jacksonville I don’t know, they’ve gone to hell. And the Belichick disciples generally don’t work out as head coaches for other teams.

But they at least are capable of beating New England. Our coaching staff/personnel generally isn’t. And they sure as hell won’t again this year, despite getting them at home, again. If they weren’t beating them last year, they never will.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
honestly i refuse to give a ton of credit to the Broncos. I'll give them some, for sure, but not a lot. the Steelers had this game won and they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. the bulk of their practices later in the week should cover ball security.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Tomlin is out coached by a lot of people. Just like our NHL coach, he is propelled to victories by some insanely talented players on most nights this year.

Don't get me wrong, I despise Tomlin but I don't think you can blame him for the majority of what went on today: fumbles, bad passes, not fighting for balls, etc.

This was a players loss

To wit:

Mark Kaboly

Verified account

@MarkKaboly
Following Following @MarkKaboly
More
Xavier Grimble on his fumble through the end zone: "He didn't surprise me at all. I saw him coming. I could've cut back and scored but I wanted to run right through him. I was probably too aggressive. That's what happened. Unfortunately."

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I despise Tomlin but I don't think you can blame him for the majority of what went on today: fumbles, bad passes, not fighting for balls, etc.

This was a players loss

To wit:

Mark Kaboly

Verified account

@MarkKaboly
Following Following @MarkKaboly
More
Xavier Grimble on his fumble through the end zone: "He didn't surprise me at all. I saw him coming. I could've cut back and scored but I wanted to run right through him. I was probably too aggressive. That's what happened. Unfortunately."

What a f***ing dunce. Somebody needs to remind Grimble he's a jabroni #3 TE (and probably not even good enough to be that) and he shouldn't be pulling shit like that.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's simple... Run the f***ing ball. Ben on a power trip or what? I saw a stat where all the elite QBs when they throw 50+ times their record is horrible. Playing against the 27th ranked rushing defense.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It's simple... Run the ****ing ball. Ben on a power trip or what? I saw a stat where all the elite QBs when they throw 50+ times their record is horrible. Playing against the 27th ranked rushing defense.

Run/pass ratio wasn't the issue in this game. Bone-headed mistakes were.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Conners fumble hurt a little, that would have had us in the redzone so at least 3 points missed.

Grumbles fumble into the endzone hurt allllot.

First off when you see the opposing player coming switch that ball to the arm away from them if you're gonna try to truck him, or put both arms around it.

A little juke move or a dive would have been a better move. But oh well.

2nd it sucks cause I dk if he lost possession until after the ball crossed the goalline but it was too hard to tell.

That was 7 definitly missed.

I also DK how no one told Tomlin to throw the challenge flag on Sanders catch. Once he hit the ground that ball popped right out. Shouldnt have been a catch. Bad no call on Tomlin and Company.

Ben, Tomlin whoevers fault it was for burning 2 time outs early in the 2nd half.... get your shit together.

We definitly gave Denver that game. But oh well it happens. Win won we are expected to lose NO, NE maybe even LA and it evens out.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Anyone else love TJ Watt grinding up Sensabaugh on the sideline for just watching Lindsey walk into the endzone on that one TD.

Sensabaugh seen him get the handoff had no one blocking him and had a perfect line to him and just froze in place and watched him walk right in.

I'm glad Watt and I think Heyward called him out. N f*** him for getting heated about it.

Reactions: KIRK

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Dishonorable mention does need to go to the officials. They weren't the primary cause of this loss, but they had a pretty rotten game.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
We were out coached by Vance Joseph:help:

Because they lost?

The Steelers outplayed the Broncos yesterday. Tomlin wasn't the one fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions. It was a tough loss but when you have 4 turnovers it's not likely you win.

On to the red hot Chargers, who btw lost to these Broncos.

Last edited:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
honestly i refuse to give a ton of credit to the Broncos. I'll give them some, for sure, but not a lot. the Steelers had this game won and they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot. the bulk of their practices later in the week should cover ball security.

Agreed.

But this Broncos team isn't bad. They have had a tough schedule at the beginning of the season and now things get easier. Can't rule them out of making the playoffs.

@Cincy, @49ers, Browns, @raiders, @Chargers

Reactions: domaug and KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Run/pass ratio wasn't the issue in this game. Bone-headed mistakes were.

I disagree. They had one of the best redzone offenses when they were running. They could have pounded the ball in and went to OT. Stats prove when you throw 50+ times you are going to lose more times than not. Yes, mistakes cost them the game. But lack of run last two weeks is why they look like shit.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I disagree. They had one of the best redzone offenses when they were running. They could have pounded the ball in and went to OT. Stats prove when you throw 50+ times you are going to lose more times than not. Yes, mistakes cost them the game. But lack of run last two weeks is why they look like ****.

And none of that matters if Grimble doesn't fumble the ball out of the endzone.

The whole "if you throw the ball 50+ times you'll lose" stat is always taken out of context. It's not the passing that causes losing, it's the other way around. A team isn't going to go yinzer smashmouth if they are down multiple possessions. You're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Reactions: KIRK

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Because they lost?

The Steelers outplayed the Broncos yesterday. Tomlin wasn't the one fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions. It was a tough loss but when you have 4 turnovers it's not likely you win.

On to the red hot Chargers, who btw lost to these Broncos.

They will also be without Melvin Gordon which will be a huge advantage for the Steelers. Being a Charger fan I can’t say I like the idea of going into Heinz Field without him

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
And none of that matters if Grimble doesn't fumble the ball out of the endzone.

The whole "if you throw the ball 50+ times you'll lose" stat is always taken out of context. It's not the passing that causes losing, it's the other way around. A team isn't going to go yinzer smashmouth if they are down multiple possessions. You're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Fumble in the first half isn't the reason they lost. Jags were rushing 3-4 and dropping everybody into coverage there was no where to throw. You run to open the pass. They got lucky the Jags got cocky and played man to man and Steelers won their match-ups by a hair. There was no reason for them to play man. They play zone and Steelers lose. Then yesterday, 27th rank rush defense and didn't even try to establish the run. They had one of the best redzone % when Conner was rushing for touchdowns. Meaningless stat? Ben is 3-7 when attempting 50 passes.

It's not winning football. No matter who the team or quarterback is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad