GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Pacific Coast Standard is the Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Your opinion, there is no right or wrong. I think he could have done a lot better.

One question, after Cowher, name all of the great defensive players he’s drafted........ waiting....oh I’ll be waiting forever won’t I? He’s average..... as it stands right at this moment, I would rather have Jerry Jones and company making our personal decisions. Think about that.
Narrowing down his accomplishments to a fraction of his accomplishments does not prove or disprove anything. Plus, you're ultimately trying to say that Tomlin is a bad coach. Well, Tomlin has had an incredibly successful career. So if you think Tomlin is a bad coach, then Colbert would be the only reason why the Steelers have succeeded under Tomlin's watch. You can't have it both ways, either Tomlin sucks or KC sucks. Choose one to fit your narrative.

In the 18 years KC has been the GM, the Steelers:
Finished 1st in their division 9 times
Made the playoffs 12 times
3 super bowl appearance
2 superbowl wins
7 different players make the ALL-PRO team for a grand total of 22 times.
Countless pro bowlers (I'm not going to count, there are too many)
2 players won DPOY
They always pay fair value to the star players and yet not once experience cap hell.
His track record for drafting is very good. In fact he almost always hits on 1st round picks. In 18 years, only 2 were legit busts, Burns and Jarvis Jones. Hood, Dupree, and Mendenhall were passable starters. The remaining 13 were/are legit pro bowl level players.

You would be have a hard time finding an 15+ year run as GM in the history of the league that exceeds Colbert's current resume.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

giphy.gif

If you could have an unlike button, this would be the time to use it, assuming they mean bring him back for football and not to face charges.

Reactions: John Titor

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I’ll give you Rooney with Roth, but Colbert is the one who made the brilliant trade to land Polo.

People can believe what they want, but Colbert has been one of the best GMs in football for 20 years.

Name a better GM and I’ll find plenty of mistakes they have made also.

Steeler fans really need to learn to separate Tomlin and Colbert. One has been a total fraud while the other has had much of his great work undone by the fraud he can’t fire.

20 years?

Ok, here is where we completely disagree.

I heard Colbert say directly after winning in 2008 that what separated the Steelers from the other organizations is that they believed in building through drafting and development, and because of that, they avoided having TOO MANY 3RD CONTRACT VETS.

Do you know what has happened since 2008???? TOO MANY 3RD CONTRACT VETS.

Go take a look at New England, who draft nearly at the bottom every draft in the same time period, and please list all of their 3rd contract vets.

This is why I have lost all respect for Colbert and SON.... yup, he also hired his son.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Letting your QB throw the ball more than 2 yards down the field, more than a few times a game, might be a decent start for week 4. I'll settle for that over the obvious decisions like firing Tomlin and Butler and even Raaaandy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
20 years?

Ok, here is where we completely disagree.

I heard Colbert say directly after winning in 2008 that what separated the Steelers from the other organizations is that they believed in building through drafting and development, and because of that, they avoided having TOO MANY 3RD CONTRACT VETS.

Do you know what has happened since 2008???? TOO MANY 3RD CONTRACT VETS.

Go take a look at New England, who draft nearly at the bottom every draft in the same time period, and please list all of their 3rd contract vets.

This is why I have lost all respect for Colbert and SON.... yup, he also hired his son.

Ya, sorry bro, this is an easy counter...

You know what happened since 2008?

upload_2019-9-26_22-29-26.jpeg

You need to separate Colbert from Tomlin. One is very good at his job, the other is a fraud.

Again, tell me a better GM and I’ll rail all over his mistakes...

Colbert’s rosters have won 65.2% of their games since he became GM. Know who ranks higher... only one guy... and I’ll give you one guess who he is...

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-gms-2019
NFL GM Power Rankings: John Dorsey, Kevin Colbert rank top 5

Last edited:

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Notable recent first round picks:

Artie Burns
Terrell Edmunds
Jarvis Jones
Bud Dupree

He used to be flawless at drafting, but recently he’s been terrible.

Tomlin has alot of say in who gets drafted. So...... that should tell you alot, he isn't exactly a defensive guru.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The worst defensive 1st round pick the steelers made with LeBeau was Jarvis Jones, Ziggy Hood that i can remember since 09.

Since he left after the 2014 season

We have had Dupree, Burns, Edmund's....

Altho we did get Watt, Bush.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tomlin has alot of say in who gets drafted. So...... that should tell you alot, he isn't exactly a defensive guru.
So if Colbert doesn’t draft players, and the Steelers haven’t typically signed free agent or make trades until recently, what does Colbert do?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No one is saying Colbert didn’t use to be good, but he’s done pretty poorly over the last 5 years or so.

He’s stale

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So if Colbert doesn’t draft players, and the Steelers haven’t typically signed free agent or make trades until recently, what does Colbert do?

"Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god**** customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?"

*slight NSFW words*

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
GMs don’t get stale. Colbert has always given the HC a lot of say in who is drafted. Cowher was obviously a better judge of defensive talent than Tomlin. Or at least Cowher knew what defense he was going to run and drafted accordingly where as Tomlin seems to wing it.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Not much really... but still one of the BEST GM's EVER... per this board...

fire everybody

ps.... he hired his son

Let the good times roll

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you could have an unlike button, this would be the time to use it, assuming they mean bring him back for football and not to face charges.
Yes, lets bring a guy that sexually assaults women and threatens them.

I hate those fans. They should be thanos snapped from existence.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Bellichek hired his son. Should he be fired.

Not with his level of performance, but I still don't like it.

Football is such a closed society, it's all about who you know, that's how you get a job. And people wonder why there are so many bad football coaches in the league; They are choosing from a small pool of inbreeds.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not much really... but still one of the BEST GM's EVER... per this board...

fire everybody

ps.... he hired his son

Let the good times roll

Not per this board... he's consistently ranked as one of the best GMs in the NFL for good reason. When only The Hoodie is ranked higher than you for GM winning percentage the last 19 years, you must be doing something right.

The fraud has twisted your dislike for Colbert. Not Colbert's fault he can't fire the fraud, and I highly suspect thats why he's keeping his contracts short and considering moving to teams like the Panthers.

In short, he's probably tired of Tomlin f***ing up everything, just like us and he's tired of not having any control over something so pivotal to his team's success.

Reactions: NEPA

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Not per this board... he's consistently ranked as one of the best GMs in the NFL for good reason. When only The Hoodie is ranked higher than you for GM winning percentage the last 19 years, you must be doing something right.

The fraud has twisted your dislike for Colbert. Not Colbert's fault he can't fire the fraud, and I highly suspect thats why he's keeping his contracts short and considering moving to teams like the Panthers.

In short, he's probably tired of Tomlin ****ing up everything, just like us and he's tired of not having any control over something so pivotal to his team's success.

I never said he was terrible, I just don't think he's a lot better than average. We don't know who's responsible for the drafting of players, the Steelers won't tell us.

I'm simply over Tomlin, his coaches and yes, this GM. New blood is needed. Having said that, is Art the 2nd the right man to hire their replacements? I totally concede that Art could hire much worse replacements, including at HC.

Reactions: NEPA

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I never said he was terrible, I just don't think he's a lot better than average. We don't know who's responsible for the drafting of players, the Steelers won't tell us.

I'm simply over Tomlin, his coaches and yes, this GM. New blood is needed. Having said that, is Art the 2nd the right man to hire their replacements? I totally concede that Art could hire much worse replacements, including at HC.

I feel pretty confident in saying that if Colbert had above the line coaching, like I've mentioned already, he would have almost a handful of rings with the talented teams he's built.

He was building great teams long before the fraud came along, and finally had his franchise QB... imagine watching the fraud piss it all away and BS his way through his incompetency, year after year.

If you think you are pissed, think how Colbert feels. You are just a fan, but he put his life's work into this org and had to sit back with no control over the buffoon he has coaching his team. I can't even imagine the frustration dude feels...

I'd love to hear what he has to say off the record about Tomlin. It wouldn't be rainbows and unicorns and he's my guy and BS like that, believe me.

And people think it's a big mystery why he is positioning himself to be a highly coveted UFA. Derp.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

I'd like to see hire a young coach that has fresh ideas and and a plan (similar to Andy Reid when he had his first job and how he systematically turned the Eagles from **** to stability. He layed a foundation and slowly pieced together a really good personnel and staff. Like a chia pet.

To answer your question though, I'm not sure if Rooney is engaged or passionate about the inner workings of this team or having a vision of what he wants. I do have doubts the Steelers are in good hands but we can dream right?

Reactions: John Titor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad