The Pittsburgher Thread: The Bush Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
NAPA, Calif. — But I’ll say it anyway: The Raiders should put Brown on notice today by sending him the dreaded “five-day letter,” which every agent and knowledgeable player would absolutely dread. This letter would mean that Brown would have to return to the team by Friday and (be an adult and) play with a league-approved helmet, or he would be put on the reserve/left squad list, meaning he couldn’t play for the Raiders or any team in 2019. It’s also Belichick insurance, preventing the Patriots or some other contender figuring they can deal with the Brown headache for four or five months if it allows them to win a game or three more.

I did consider urging the Raiders to just fire Brown. It just might come to that. But the five-day letter is a good starting point, because it draws a line in the sand immediately. As Mike Florio reported at Pro Football Talk, not reporting after receiving that letter would end Brown’s season and prevent the Raiders from having to pay $29.1 million future guarantees on Brown’s Oakland contract. It’s worth doing. Brown has driven the franchise to this, and he deserves this.

Today is not the day to make any judgment about Brown’s mental stability or his frame of mind. He might be fine; he might be legitimately troubled in a way we don’t know. I just know the Raiders went out on a limb to acquire him from Pittsburgh, then paid him a rich contract. Since then, Brown has been beyond childish about an issue that more than 2,000 players have coped with: wearing only safety-approved helmets in accord with a $60-million initiative in 2016 to ensure that every player wear a helmet that has been approved by a joint NFL/NFLPA testing process. Every team has 63 active and practice-squad players. So 2,015 players (some of whom might be ticked off about it) will start the season wearing approved helmets. One wants to wear a non-approved—and relatively unsafe—helmet. That one is Brown.

I want to add this part about the helmets in question.

Quote:
While in Seattle last week on my camp trip, my NBC team went to new helmet manufacture Vicis, which makes the top-tested helmet on the NFL market, the Vicis Zero1. Patrick Mahomes wears it. Julian Edelman wears it. About 200 players in the league wear a Vicis helmet. Vicis has some of the same equipment used by the NFL/NFLPA testers, including the kind of battering ram used to tests how much force is felt by the brain when the helmet is hit full-force. We were able to procure a 2006 Schutt Air Advantage helmet, close to Brown’s model if not exactly the same (his was at least 10 years old), and, with the help of the Vicis scientists, we measured three major areas.

Weight: The Schutt helmet weighed 3.70 pounds. The Vicis Zero1 was heavier—4.53 pounds. The fact that the helmet with more modern technology is .83 pounds heavier is a factor, to be sure. Players like to feel lighter.

Absorption of force. When impact-tested by the battering tool, the Schutt helmet recorded 73 g’s of force that would have impacted the brain. At the same force, the Vicis helmet, with its slightly malleable outer shell, recorded 53 g’s that would have impacted the brain. So, the brain of a player wearing this Schutt helmet would feel 37.7 percent more force of impact than the force on a brain protected by the new Vicis model.

Peripheral vision. Using a light to shine through the mask of the helmet and reflect onto a tool measuring the field of view, the Schutt helmet had a horizontal field of view of 210 degrees wide. The Vicis helmet had a 236-degree-wide field of view. The 26-degree improvement was a vision increase of 12 percent. The vertical vision was 40 degrees north to south in the Schutt model, 47 degrees north to south in the Vicis helmet—better by 18 percent in the newer helmet.

Peter King Says Raiders Should Send Antonio Brown a '5-Day Letter'

The vision thing is what gets me. Because Browns major complaint about the new helmets is that it limited his vision, or block his view...something along them lines.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Florio should be in the Hall of Fame when it comes to hacks.

So Brown, from all accounts, is the only person having this issue with helmets.

It's not because they are singling him out, it's because he's just that f***ing dense and wants to win a fight so he can say he's someone that isn't one to be f***ed with.

League said no.
His GM is saying, bro grow the f*** up.
Brown is trying to make it about Race.

Meanwhile, Colin Kaepernick is mad at Jay Z because he still sucks and The Carter doesn't really give two f***s about some nobody loser that won't go play somewhere else to show he's every bit as good as his ego thinks he is to prove anything to anyone.

Reactions: TNT87

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Brown just wanted out of camp. Period.

He burned his feet on purpose and then came up with the helmet story to cover the back half of camp.

He's a ****ing lunatic.

Yeah, I tend to believe this...I think he makes up **** so he can do what he wants, when he wants...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was unable to find a popcorn gif that accurately conveys the high level of enjoyment and anticipation that I'm experiencing. I'm eating so much popcorn that my mustache is turning yellow from the butter particulates being thrown into the air.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
So Brown, from all accounts, is the only person having this issue with helmets.

It's not because they are singling him out, it's because he's just that ****ing dense and wants to win a fight so he can say he's someone that isn't one to be ****ed with.

League said no.
His GM is saying, bro grow the **** up.
Brown is trying to make it about Race.

Meanwhile, Colin Kaepernick is mad at Jay Z because he still sucks and The Carter doesn't really give two ****s about some nobody loser that won't go play somewhere else to show he's every bit as good as his ego thinks he is to prove anything to anyone.

Speaking of Jay Z rumors are popping up everywhere that he is going to be buying the 5% share that Dave Tepper had to give up when he bought the Panthers.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Speaking of Jay Z rumors are popping up everywhere that he is going to be buying the 5% share that Dave Tepper had to give up when he bought the Panthers.
Yea I just saw this. The Rooney’s clearly don’t consider the views of minority owners since Tomlin somehow still has a job.

Unfortunately, we will still be stuck in the 1970’s until that family is no longer involved with the team.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
League should just let him wear the old helmet. I think the damage has already been done. Barn door, horse.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What the **** are you on about?
I think it would be intriguing to see how Jay Z would do things if he bought 5% of the team, but it doesn’t matter when the Rooney’s are still the owners because they are set in their ways.

Unlike Art, Jay Z from nothing and wasn’t handed everything. I’m very intrigued with the Jay z rumors.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think it would be intriguing to see how Jay Z would do things if he bought 5% of the team, but it doesn’t matter when the Rooney’s are still the owners because they are set in their ways.

Unlike Art, Jay Z from nothing and wasn’t handed everything. I’m very intrigued with the Jay z rumors.

Jay Z is rumored to want 5% of the Carolina Panthers. Where the f*** are you getting the Steelers being the team he wants a piece of?

Also, a minority owner is just a leech that is there to diversify their portfolio and say they own a sports franchise (part of).

If I owned a company and some pissant (I don't care who) buys 5% of my team, I really don't give two shits what their opinions are unless they're good.

Edit: Oh, I see the report now, still don't care. But if he owns 5%, I really don't f***ing want to see Beyonce and her shitty music blasted in the game.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jay Z is rumored to want 5% of the Carolina Panthers. Where the **** are you getting the Steelers being the team he wants a piece of?

Also, a minority owner is just a leech that is there to diversify their portfolio and say they own a sports franchise (part of).

If I owned a company and some pissant (I don't care who) buys 5% of my team, I really don't give two ****s what their opinions are unless they're good.

Edit: Oh, I see the report now, still don't care. But if he owns 5%, I really don't ****ing want to see Beyonce and her ****ty music blasted in the game.
Maybe Jay Z can bring this team into the 2010’s. Silver spoon Art sure isn’t the man for that job.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe Jay Z can bring this team into the 2010’s. Silver spoon Art sure isn’t the man for that job.
Yeah I can't wait for Memphis Bleek and Kanye West as our new GM and Head Coach.

Reporter - "What did you think about the loss today?"
HC West - "My life is dope and I do dope shit..."
Reporter - "Ok, well...huh?"

Here's our new Logo.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In all seriousness I don’t get why he can’t just sign a waiver and wear it.

That’s ultra bad PR for the league. You don’t get into head trauma litigation like they have and then turn around and give in to a little child when he stomps his feet.

This is about the shield and protecting it. They aren’t worrying about the mental midget holding his breath and throwing a hissy fit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
In all seriousness I don’t get why he can’t just sign a waiver and wear it.

Because for one reason it is dubious whether that will protect them in a lawsuit. There are many instances where you have to protect people from themselves. Even to the point of criminalizing with fines and even points some behavior such as seat belt and helmet laws.

In this case if there is further legal action showing a bunch of waivers likely will not mean a lot if you have good attorneys who argue that the league knowing what they did should never have allowed any exceptions.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What part of the 2010s will help this team.
1. Running back by committee is the modern trend, especially when you only have mediocre running backs.
2. Sign respectable free agents.
3. Make trades when necessary.

Let’s bring the Steelers into this century

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
1. Running back by committee is the modern trend, especially when you only have mediocre running backs.

If a team has a feature back, they will run his wheels off. The Steelers aren’t the only org that does that. Gurley had almost 300 touches in only 14 games, Elliott had almost 400, Barkley had over 350, Johnson 300, etc.

Steelers just signed two very respectable FA... and you need cap room to sign the biggest names, which is hard to do when you org is so good at drafting talent and retaining that talent.

Big trades like say, trading into the top ten to grab an elite ILB talent? Or trading for a beastly TE that just came off a career season?

This org only real flaw is showing Tomlin so much loyalty, but that mindset has helped make them such a stable and admired franchise for almost 50 years now. Unfortunately it’s a fatal flaw, I’ll give you that...

Tomlin enabled Brown and that helped embarrass this proud franchise, but sadly I’m pretty sure Brown would have gotten away with his behavior anywhere else, save NE.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

The Steelers have had a pro bowl RB on the roster for the past 6 seasons. You are the only person to complain about the RB's in years. RB by committee is a necessity if you don't have a bonafide starter.
Free agents are a burden on the salary cap. Steelers are more talented than most teams in the league, they rarely need free agents. However, this year they brought in 2 defensive starters as UFA's.
I assume you mean player trades because this is what you learned to do in Madden. Real life isn't a video game, and player trades are almost non existent in the NFL. With that being said, the Steelers just traded up for Devin Bush.

You are wrong on all 3 accounts and clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The Steelers are the 2nd most successful team of the past 20 years. You're just bitter because a professional team doesn't do things you're way... as if your opinion matters to them.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If a team has a feature back, they will run his wheels off. The Steelers aren’t the only org that does that. Gurley had almost 300 touches in only 14 games, Elliott had almost 400, Barkley had over 350, Johnson 300, etc.

Steelers just signed two very respectable FA... and you need cap room to sign the biggest names, which is hard to do when you org is so good at drafting talent and retaining that talent.

Big trades like say, trading into the top ten to grab an elite ILB talent? Or trading for a beastly TE that just came off a career season?

This org only real flaw is showing Tomlin so much loyalty, but that mindset has helped make them such a stable and admired franchise for almost 50 years now. Unfortunately it’s a fatal flaw, I’ll give you that...

Tomlin enabled Brown and that helped embarrass this proud franchise, but sadly I’m pretty sure Brown would have gotten away with his behavior anywhere else, save NE.

Yea how has running the wheels off worked for TOmlin in the past?
Dude just doesn't learn and likely never will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad