The Pittsburgher Thread: The Bush Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ben isn't playing into his 40's.

The major difference between the legends you mentioned and 7 is his body has been destroyed over the years. Some of that is his own doing (style) and some of it is the byproduct of him not getting the same protection nancies like Manning and Brady were afforded.

Trading or letting Rudolph walk would be a major mistake. Not having to go through the process sucking ass for years while trying to find a franchise QB would be a great thing.

I remember the 80's and 90's well.

Ben doesn't really get hit anymore. I would actually say he is one of the least sacked guys over the last 5 years v. being completely abused earlier in his career. I think he will play as long as his o-line is there. Once he loses Villanueva, Pouncey, and DeCastro, he's probably gone.

This team has to kind of maneuver the draft the next few years because I think in the next year or two we are getting to the point where if the BPA at any point in the draft is an offensive lineman, you have to consider taking him. Don't fall into the same trap when we lost Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, and Kendall Simmons in the span of 2 seasons.

Reactions: That1Kid

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ben isn't playing into his 40's.

The major difference between the legends you mentioned and 7 is his body has been destroyed over the years. Some of that is his own doing (style) and some of it is the byproduct of him not getting the same protection nancies like Manning and Brady were afforded.

Trading or letting Rudolph walk would be a major mistake. Not having to go through the process sucking ass for years while trying to find a franchise QB would be a great thing.

I remember the 80's and 90's well.

You are just kind of throwing stuff out there without any real facts...

Roth has been among the least sacked QBs for quite some time now. In fact, Brady has been sacked 9 more times over the last three years.

Roth has been playing behind an elite o line for quite awhile now.

Over the last 6 years Roth has only missed 8 games, and two of those he sat out because it was the end of the season.

He said he intends to play out his contract, which means a minimum of three more years for MR on the bench.

So as I said, barring injury, we won’t be seeing MR starting for this team for quite some time, and I’m in no hurry to see a HOF QB gone. Especially one who just lead the league in passing with over 5000 yards.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Big Ben tends to get injured pretty often. I think we'll get plenty of opportunities to see Rudolph in action.

Also, with the O-line coach leaving for Denver I don't expect the same elite Oline that we've seen over the past several years. Our offense may take a bit of hit as a result.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I do like where we are with our backfield. We don't have that feature back, but I think we have 3 competent runners who can do basically everything.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Big Ben tends to get injured pretty often. I think we'll get plenty of opportunities to see Rudolph in action.

Also, with the O-line coach leaving for Denver I don't expect the same elite Oline that we've seen over the past several years. Our offense may take a bit of hit as a result.

He doesn’t though... people keep saying that but it’s simply not true as I just pointed out.

He hasn’t missed starting a game in the last two years, aside from being a HS agt Cle during the last game of 2017.

Reactions: KIRK and JTG

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Dupree doesn’t blow like ppl say. Like I said a few mo ago, if you look at his numbers, he’s an avg OLB. He’s just frustrating as hell because he overruns so many big plays and has tons of talent, but he’s the king of almost.

What I've found most frustrating about him is he doesn't make splash plays until the game is out of hand or close to it. I don't recall seeing him make big plays in close games when it counts [more], but perhaps my memory is failing. Most times he's invisible or waving at the QB as he runs by.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What I've found most frustrating about him is he doesn't make splash plays until the game is out of hand or close to it. I don't recall seeing him make big plays in close games when it counts [more], but perhaps my memory is failing. Most times he's invisible or waving at the QB as he runs by.

He had a big fumble recovery for a TD or something like that last season, but I don’t recall much else.

He’s such a freak of nature that he could dominate if he ever learned how to turn the corner on his arcs. But it’s hard to find that faith after five years you know?

If they kept stats on almost sacks he would easily lead the league. That’s why I said last night if he could turn even a quarter of those plentiful almost sacks into real ones, he could easily be a double digit guy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ben is likely going to break the all time sack record.

I don't think people understand the abuse he took for the first 2/3 of his career. Given he has a family and young children, I just don't see him playing beyond 2021. He's openly said he doesn't want to hang on to long and will trust his body. Yeah he just led the league in passing yards, but at this stage of your career it can fall off quick.

All I'm saying is Rudolph has the ability to start in this league and win you games. We've not had any other QB since Ben was drafted that you can say that about. It's the first time I've felt like we had a long term option on this roster. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him, he produced elite numbers for 4 years in a power conference. He's showing incredible growth, not just as a thrower but managing the huddle, progressing through reads, and his ability to maneuver in and outside the pocket is very Big Ben like. That play where he broke the pocket, eluded multiple defenders and nearly hit Rogers for a TD was vintage Ben. And had Rogers actually broke back to the ball more it would have been caught.

I just hope we don't sell on this kid because if and when Ben does start to really slow down, he would be an instant replacement that wouldn't make you feel like Landry Jones or Dennis Dixon was entering the fray.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't think people understand the abuse he took for the first 2/3 of his career. Given he has a family and young children, I just don't see him playing beyond 2021. He's openly said he doesn't want to hang on to long and will trust his body. Yeah he just led the league in passing yards, but at this stage of your career it can fall off quick.

All I'm saying is Rudolph has the ability to start in this league and win you games. We've not had any other QB since Ben was drafted that you can say that about. It's the first time I've felt like we had a long term option on this roster. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him, he produced elite numbers for 4 years in a power conference. He's showing incredible growth, not just as a thrower but managing the huddle, progressing through reads, and his ability to maneuver in and outside the pocket is very Big Ben like. That play where he broke the pocket, eluded multiple defenders and nearly hit Rogers for a TD was vintage Ben. And had Rogers actually broke back to the ball more it would have been caught.

I just hope we don't sell on this kid because if and when Ben does start to really slow down, he would be an instant replacement that wouldn't make you feel like Landry Jones or Dennis Dixon was entering the fray.

I have zero worry about Ben. He has been sacked a bunch in his career, and you are right, he will be the all time leaders in sacks when his career is over. That being said, I can't find something that will let me compile the stat, but over the last 5 seasons, I think he may be the least sacked guy of anyone. He's definitely in the bottom 5. I think Ben could be good into his 40's. I question Ben's desire to play that long more than his physical ability to play that long.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I understand where you are coming from, but 4-5 yrs ago when Roth was in his early 30s, I argued with another poster on here who was insisting he would retire by 35. Dude kept saying how beat up Roth was, etc

I argued he would play into his late 30s or early 40s and used Elway, one of the most sacked and abused QBs of all time as a point of evidence.

Like you said, things can change, but there is no evidence Roth is slowing down or wants to retire. He pretty much never misses games, is among the least sacked QBs in the league the last several years, and with the toxic twins and Haley gone, all accounts suggest he’s enjoying football again.

I just see no current evidence that puts MR as their starter for at least three more years.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Coach Tomlin was asked if Rudolph has separated himself from the other quarterbacks who played on Saturday.

“Not as we sit here right now.”

He's a jackass. Be we already knew that.
Rudolph played like ass against the first team defense. Wasn’t his longest pass to Conner for the first quarter or close to it?

I think Rudolph played pretty lousy.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Rudolph played like ass against the first team defense. Wasn’t his longest pass to Conner for the first quarter or close to it?

it took him a little time to get in the zone, but having teammates undermining him didn't help. imo
all in all he played well.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

What f***ing game were you watching?

Grimble dropped a pinpoint pass that would have been a big gainer. Moncrief catches a pass and then fumbles. Conner nearly dropped the pass in the flat that cost him extra yardage. The only pass that wasn't close was the long ball to JuJu down the left sideline. Rudolph nailed Washington on a money through on 3rd and lone. Hit him on a nice deep out.

He was playing with only 3 starters on the line. Not to mention it's not like he gets a ton of reps with the starters anyway.

Rudolph was the least of our worries in the 1st quarter. It looked a typical Tomlin team. Not ready to play from the first whistle.

Reactions: KIRK

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Aka he started playing well when the Chiefs scrubs came in.

You can't have it both ways. He wasn't playing with the entire first team either.

Rudolph passed the eye test. Looks worlds improved from last year and has made encouraging progress.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What ****ing game were you watching?

Grimble dropped a pinpoint pass that would have been a big gainer. Moncrief catches a pass and then fumbles. Conner nearly dropped the pass in the flat that cost him extra yardage. The only pass that wasn't close was the long ball to JuJu down the left sideline. Rudolph nailed Washington on a money through on 3rd and lone. Hit him on a nice deep out.

He was playing with only 3 starters on the line. Not to mention it's not like he gets a ton of reps with the starters anyway.

Rudolph was the least of our worries in the 1st quarter. It looked a typical Tomlin team. Not ready to play from the first whistle.

This

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Rudolph is going through his reads better than last pre-season and his footwork is lightyears better. He must have worked on his feet in the offseason because it’s quite noticeable.

I’m not sure what he is yet, but it’s pretty easy to see his improvements from last season.

Reactions: KIRK and Jaded-Fan

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I can’t prove it, yet... but I bet Ben is behind all this...

Nah. Mayock shouldn't be going on radio and throwing his star players under the bus. :sarcasm:

Although one wonders why, instead of saying they supported him on his helmet boondoggle, he didn't say something like, "1700 rostered players in the NFL and only one can't live with the helmet rules; we think he's been completely unreasonable (perhaps crazy) and incredibly selfish."

Bottom line: None of this will matter; on opening night he'll be in the starting lineup. Now if Carr doesn't target him enough, all bets are off . . . .

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Rudolph's play has shown to be so far improved that I have a hard time not putting him ahead of Dobbs by a decent amount right now.

Motorcycle accident in Texas. Only 36 years old. I remember his playing days for the Bears.

Prayers to his loved ones.

Incredibly sad. I remember his draft year and the talk between he and Ronnie Brown. Both were seen as having game breaking potential, and neither did much of anything.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad