OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
usatsi_13184099.jpg

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He kind of reminds me of Zach Thomas.

I have used the analogy of Jack Ham over and over and stand by it. Different era, different skill sets, I get that. I am not talking about those comparables. Once all is said and done, Bush will be remembered as the Jack Ham of this era.

What I am talking about is that Bush's greatness is consistency. Never being out of position. Not missing a tackle. I remember a story told by I believe that it was Donnie Shell, but one of the great contemporaries. Ham made a great play and the defense left the field and Ham started advising Shell about finances and what to do with his money. In the middle of the conversation Bradshaw threw an interception and the defense took the field again. Next play the opposing QB threw Ham's way and Ham made a text book interception, laid the ball down and jogged over to Shell and said 'as I was saying about what to do with you money ....'. That story speaks volumes.

You will get exciting plays now and then but he will never be a gambler in the vein of a Polamalu. What he will be is a consistent day in day out great player who will almost never have a bad series let along bad game for you for the next ten years.

In the video below Penn State Coach Paterno made just that point about Ham when asked if he remembered Ham's greatest game for them. He couldn't. Ham never had a bad game for them.

That is Bush at Michigan, and the Bush we saw in his first preseason game. Get used to seeing it.

Edit: it was Andy Russell in my story above with Ham, not Shell.

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i am trying to think back to other Steelers rookies who i remember being extremely hyped over, and besides Polamalu, i can't think of anyone i've been hyped over more than i am for Devin Bush.

i really hope he tears this league up.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
i am trying to think back to other Steelers rookies who i remember being extremely hyped over, and besides Polamalu, i can't think of anyone i've been hyped over more than i am for Devin Bush.
Charles Johnson

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He kind of reminds me of Zach Thomas.

These comparisons sound insane for a guy who has played 1 preseason game, but the look of his game is unique. I immediately saw him and thought he looked like Patrick Willis, especially the way he moves. I thought how he attacked and plugged holes and met whatever challenge that was presented was very much like Ray Lewis. So aggressive. One of his first plays he pancaked a starting guard for the Bucs. Picked the dude right up off his feet and then made a tackle on the RB.

Did Diontae Johnson play?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Bush has got to be the most hyped Steelers rookie since Ben. And there was tons of hype for Polamalu and Mendenhall.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
These comparisons sound insane for a guy who has played 1 preseason game, but the look of his game is unique. I immediately saw him and thought he looked like Patrick Willis, especially the way he moves. I thought how he attacked and plugged holes and met whatever challenge that was presented was very much like Ray Lewis. So aggressive. One of his first plays he pancaked a starting guard for the Bucs. Picked the dude right up off his feet and then made a tackle on the RB.

It’s August and there’s not much to talk about, plus it’s HF, so we should all speculate wildly.

No, Johnson didn’t play. He shaping up to be an injury prone bust:sarcasm:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bush has got to be the most hyped Steelers rookie since Ben. And there was tons of hype for Polamalu and Mendenhall.

He’s the first top ten pick since Roth, they moved up big to get him, and he was a dire need.

Just seems logical the hype will be over the top.

Ya I first thought about Willis as well on Friday when I saw him play, but that isn’t fair to Bush, because Willis was the most insane MLB I ever saw. It’s hard not to notice the striking similarities though.

People will compare him to Shazier the most I’m sure, but he doesn’t look or move like him on the field. Different styles for sure.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It’s August and there’s not much to talk about, plus it’s HF, so we should all speculate wildly.

No, Johnson didn’t play. He shaping up to be an injury prone bust:sarcasm:

I didn't think he dressed. Thanks.

Ya I first thought about Willis as well on Friday when I saw him play, but that isn’t fair to Bush, because Willis was the most insane MLB I ever saw. It’s hard not to notice the striking similarities though.

People will compare him to Shazier the most I’m sure, but he doesn’t look or move like him on the field. Different styles for sure.

I personally think Shazier was your pure cover linebacker in today's NFL. Bush looks like a guy who needs to play up around the action. If for some reason a stud MLB fell in our laps and the draft board dictated we shouldn't pass on him, I think Bush moving over and playing a Polamalu type style would be the most incredible place for him. Pure chaos he would cause.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Chargers were one of the most hyped teams this offseason. But they are going through a rough patch right now eh?

Gordon wants traded, and Derwin James just broke bones in his foot yesterday

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Speaking of injuries I wonder what Adeniyi had surgery for. That sucks, was hoping he would push Dupree. Hopefully it's not ling term.

And Sutton Smith better get his ass on the field. Already was a long shot but has spend most of the time injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad