OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Stillers, Pitt, PSU, Montana, and yes...Oklahoma State too for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I'd accept the Juju suspension if it wasn't the same length as Gronks. Gronk targeted a players head after the play, while out of bounds, while on the ground, AND the guy has a concussion. That should be 2-3 games easy, but yet it's the same 1 game suspension as Juju.

This is why Goodell sucks and should go. He's too arbitrary with his suspensions.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Don’t want to speculate too much, but the fact that he’ll continue to be hospitalized is not particularly good news.

I would not go that far. From all that I read it is a swelling in the spinal canal. They can not evaluate until the swelling goes completely down. He had some movement and feeling in his legs this morning was reported, which is good news. I would have been surprised if they would have anything definitive this soon. And until they do moving him would not be wise, no?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There are people in this thread that ruin inherently violent sports because they don't like the violence and decry those that enjoy the spectacle by consenting grown men. You'd say JuJu's hit was so egregious and yet probably still turn on UFC fights and watch people knock/choke each other out, while cheering madly. I mean Muhammad Ali was so revered and loved but probably had no idea that getting hit in the head 15000 times in the span of a decade would greatly diminish the quality of life.

Can't wait until the NHL removes fights and body checking.

Maybe chess will dominate PPV's a millennia from now! And i actually enjoy chess....

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Coal miners sued and started unions for safer working conditions. Are you a yinzer gonna call coal miners "panzies " of all people?!

They were manly they should have knew it wasn't safe to be underground with awful air quality! It's their fault they die.
Then again you probably want the days of all coal energy back..

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I hope the Steelers don't play on another Monday Night game with those terrible announcers.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Coal miners sued and started unions for safer working conditions. Are you a yinzer gonna call coal miners "panzies " of all people?!

They were manly they should have knew it wasn't safe to be underground with awful air quality! It's their fault they die.
Then again you probably want the days of all coal energy back..

That's an absolutely terrible analogy. The NFL already has a union, and is already compensated hundreds times more than a coal miner ever was/has been. And hell, the guys playing a game are the ones making the big money....Risk vs reward. Take away the violence, nobody will watch. Bank (intended pun) on it.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I would not go that far. From all that I read it is a swelling in the spinal canal. They can not evaluate until the swelling goes completely down. He had some movement and feeling in his legs this morning was reported, which is good news. I would have been surprised if they would have anything definitive this soon. And until they do moving him would not be wise, no?

Sure. I’m certainly not an expert. From what little I’ve read, most of the recovery is in the first 24-48 hours, so the fact that he is definitely going to continue to be hospitalized when he returns to Pa. seemed to suggest a longer term issue. Or not.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
That's an absolutely terrible analogy. The NFL already has a union, and is already compensated hundreds times more than a coal miner ever was/has been. And hell, the guys playing a game are the ones making the big money....Risk vs reward. Take away the violence, nobody will watch. Bank (intended pun) on it.
Didn't answer a single question.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There are people in this thread that ruin inherently violent sports because they don't like the violence and decry those that enjoy the spectacle by consenting grown men. You'd say JuJu's hit was so egregious and yet probably still turn on UFC fights and watch people knock/choke each other out, while cheering madly. I mean Muhammad Ali was so revered and loved but probably had no idea that getting hit in the head 15000 times in the span of a decade would greatly diminish the quality of life.

Maybe chess will dominate PPV's a millennia from now! And i actually enjoy chess....

You can penalize the most egregious issues, primarily anything close to the head, and still satisfy your lust to see blood on the ice and field and people carted off with gruesome injuries.

I say it again, you have a choice. The sports police themselves or there will be no sport, or nothing close to what we are used to.

The issues of head injuries and what it does, CTE issues especially.

Medicine is rapidly making it impossible to brush the issue under the rug. From Sports Illustrated a month ago:

'In the more than a decade since the first case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) was reported in a former NFL player, the neurodegenerative disease has been both the sport’s greatest threat and biggest mystery. Former players openly wonder if they have CTE. Current players ponder the risk-benefit of continuing to play. Parents of future players want to know what the odds of long-term health issues are if they sign their kid up for football.

A new discovery by researchers at Boston University’s School of Medicine may be a breakthrough toward a game-changer for America’s most popular game: The ability to diagnose CTE in living patients, something that is not yet possible.'

Diagnosing CTE in Living Patients: 5 Years Away?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't care about the studies in the grand scheme. I don't need them to know football is dangerous or that taking a blow to the head usually causes a serious injury. THAT HAS BEEN MY MAIN POINT! If you need to read medical reviews and journals to understand football is far more dangerous than most other sporting activities...it's simple logic. Acting like other grown men can't come to the same conclusion without fancy charts and studies is absurd.

It's a choice. These guys choose to put themselves in harms way for a shitload of money. I don't really have sympathy when they cry wolf after the fact. Sorry.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
We make our own choices in a free society and accept the responsibility that comes with that. If people choose to play contact sports, they're accepting the conditions and the risks. We should not ruin games just because they're dangerous. If people don't find them worth the risk, they won't play.

If coal miners were making $1m a year to do the job they probably never would have unionized. It's a ridiculous comparison to make.

The way things are going, I'm expecting we'll have weight limits for each position Pop Warner style within the next 10 years.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yikes. That's one way to look at life, I guess. Hey as long as it isn't you, amirite!!??

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
This reminds of a person who once told me racing was boring because it isn't dangerous anymore. I'm surprised by how many people actually have this mentality.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
IE and Kesslemania with cringeworthy mindsets. As the world evolves, why should we sit still? Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. More importantly - they are more explosive than ever. We've identified faults in our past that led to people being ruined for life over a game. We have the ability to make the game safer without sacrificing entertainment. We have the ability to take care of one another instead of get enjoyment from watching an individual get hurt and potentially altering their life after the sport they chose.

It's a f***ing game. Yes - they chose to play the game. That does not give us the right to watch them hurt one another. That does not give them zero protection. What is wrong with you? :laugh: If we can make changes and evolve as the game does, why the hell would we not?

Reactions: BumFortyOne

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No, they're not.

If Burfict was hit from his blindside he would have been considered defenseless, but he was not; he was hit directly in the chest.

And thus why Juju suspended because its clear it was from the side. Burfict is running parallel but faced toward the LOS

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
IE and Kesslemania with cringeworthy mindsets. As the world evolves, why should we sit still? Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever. More importantly - they are more explosive than ever. We've identified faults in our past that led to people being ruined for life over a game. We have the ability to make the game safer without sacrificing entertainment. We have the ability to take care of one another instead of get enjoyment from watching an individual get hurt and potentially altering their life after the sport they chose.

It's a ****ing game. Yes - they chose to play the game. That does not give us the right to watch them hurt one another. That does not give them zero protection. What is wrong with you? :laugh: If we can make changes and evolve as the game does, why the hell would we not?

The most cringeworthy mindsets are the mothered who want to sterilize and pad everything and treat people like children. This is evolution? No. It's devolution.

The game is INHERENTLY violent. Part of the enjoyment is the VIOLENCE. You are reducing it's entertainment quality and fundamentally changing the game by promoting such pansyass nonsense. Grow a damn sack. Jesus.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I say we bring back gladiator fight pits.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
And thus why Juju suspended because its clear it was from the side. Burfict is running parallel but faced toward the LOS

Appeal to authority. Try again.

It doesn't matter if Burfict was parallel, it matters where the hit took place relative to the defender. The defender hit him straight on, not from behind or from the side. It's not JuJu's fault Burfict didn't have his head up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The most cringeworthy mindsets are the mothered who want to sterilize and pad everything and treat people like children. This is evolution? No. It's devolution.

The game is INHERENTLY violent. Part of the enjoyment is the VIOLENCE. You are reducing it's entertainment quality and fundamentally changing the game by promoting such pansyass nonsense. Grow a damn sack. Jesus.
I can't believe there are people who actually use pansy as an insult and say things like grow a sack. It's embarassing how out of touch you are with reality. I like to say we are too educated for this stuff at this point, but I'm clearly wrong.

I literally haven't dealt with people like this since high school. It's completely hilarious but sad at the same time.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Your so tough and awesome. Wheres the statue saluting your awesomness. Im guessing next to Paul Bunyons in the mythical mens hall of fame

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Appeal to authority. Try again.

It doesn't matter if Burfict was parallel, it matters where the hit took place relative to the defender. The defender hit him straight on, not from behind or from the side. It's not JuJu's fault Burfict didn't have his head up.

It clearly not straight on.hes coming from the side and burfict turns its pretty mich the definition of what theyre trying to remove.

Hit the guy a foot lower and theyres no issue

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Seriously, I forgot about this kind of meathead mentality. I just can't imagine putting that kind of value in acting macho.

I have no problem with a person thats tough being tough. But not only do i not believe this guy is tough but ive never seen someone whos actually tough have to advertise it.

Reactions: NEPA and Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad