The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers vs. Browns... Joker's Wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Steelers better hope that the brilliant offensive mind of Randy Sphincter doesn’t get plucked for one of these HC positions...lol

Okay, I legit spit up my soda reading that name play. Well done . . . :clap:

Fitchner with new team

18YY.gif

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
There is no way the Steelers should be taking a RB in the first round. Doesn't matter how good any of them are if the Offensive line is crap. Steelers need to go OL, preferably LT.

Running backs can be found in later rounds.

At the moment Javonte is a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Also Olineman are very deep this yr alot of good talent gonna fall to 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of Offensive Tackles with the 1-2 round rating so they might as well snag one up in rd 1.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I want 2 OL in the first 3 rounds regardless of what happens in the postseason.

Hopefully Tomlin is gone after the 2021 season and whoever takes over can be in charge of finding and developing the next franchise QB.

Watch Haskins end up here next year though...

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

If Ben retires, getting Stafford as his replacement would be my top choice if we don’t draft someone. Then we could draft Rd 1 - OL, Rd 2 - RB

Reactions: Pengwins

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

If Ben retires, getting Stafford as his replacement would be my top choice if we don’t draft someone. Then we could draft Rd 1 - OL, Rd 2 - RB

Stafford kind of reminds me of the spot Carson Palmer was in as he went to Arizona. Right team/coach, and he's a hell of an acquisition who can give you a couple of really good years.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Stafford kind of reminds me of the spot Carson Palmer was in as he went to Arizona. Right team/coach, and he's a hell of an acquisition who can give you a couple of really good years.

That’s a good comparison. There’s no question Stafford can still ball. He’s had a ton of injuries over his career, but year in and year out he produces. I do expect that there will be a ton of interest for him though.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would be very surprised if Ben left $26m guaranteed on the table

If Tomlin and Ben are back next year, I expect it to be a very bad season. 8-8? More like 5-11

No cap space. A rebuild of the OL. The CB free agents and Haden's cap hit. The brutal schedule. I'm not sure you'll see 5-11, but yeah 8 wins is where I'd set the over.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

If Tomlin and Ben are back next year, I expect it to be a very bad season. 8-8? More like 5-11

I’m hoping he does. We could cut him, but obviously we are taking a hit in that case. If he comes back next year, I think there’s a decent chance Rudolph could take over the starting gig midseason.

I’ve been anti-Rudolph, but he looked good last game.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
As discussed yesterday, I'm of a mixed mind if they will. On the one hand, the Chargers job is arguably the best available one out there (along with JAX). A stud franchise QB in the making. Weapons at all the offensive skill positions. Pretty good cap situation. The situation is ripe to have your pick of coaches. At the same time . . . Dean Spanos.

Well so far they seem to have the right approach. They have requested interviews with Arthur Smith, Matt Eberflus and Brandon Staley. They are going to interview a total of 10-12 candidates and I would assume they will interview guys like Brian Daboll and Robert Saleh as well. So far I have no complaints about how they are doing things

Reactions: KIRK

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I’m hoping he does. We could cut him, but obviously we are taking a hit in that case. If he comes back next year, I think there’s a decent chance Rudolph could take over the starting gig midseason.

I’ve been anti-Rudolph, but he looked good last game.

There’s zero chance of Rudolph taking Ben’s spot while Ben is still on the team

Rudolph looked OK but you can’t really make judgements on one game. A one-off fill-in performance is entirely different than being the focal point of a scheme that’s built on exploiting your tendencies and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
With Stafford’s injury history, playing behind a shaky and rebuilding offensive line? Not a good recipe.

And if Tomlin is still there, it doesn’t matter anyway. Tomlin pissed away the prime years of a HOF franchise QB, surrounded by all world talent, what the f*** is he going to do with Stafford?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think we'll beat the Bengals (×2), Browns (×2), Broncos, Lions, Chargers and Vikings. The others, doubtful

You're underestimating Tomlin's Steelers' ability to lose games they're fully expected to win and win the occasional game where they're an underdog. Maybe 8-8, but they might beat the Ravens once and lose to the Lions, or something like that.

Steelers open at -4. I thought it would be higher. O/U at 46.5. I'll still take the Browns +4 and the Over.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
There’s zero chance of Rudolph taking Ben’s spot while Ben is still on the team

Rudolph looked OK but you can’t really make judgements on one game. A one-off fill-in performance is entirely different than being the focal point of a scheme that’s built on exploiting your tendencies and weaknesses.

I disagree, I could see Rudolph coming in midway next season if it’s proven that Ben can’t make the intermediate/downfield throws anymore. That’s probably 6 or 7 games to make such a determination. Let me be clear, I’m not a fan of Rudolph and I’d rather bring in a different backup, but if Ben struggles, we gotta at least give him another evaluation.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I think a point that has not be discussed nearly enough regarding this wildcard game is whether Henry Mondeaux will be allowed to leave his job as a bouncer at Jacks on the southside early in order to make an 8:15 kickoff.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not sure if Urban Meyer is a good fit for the NFL. His obsession with the game is borderline unhealthy, not sure if his schtick would work with professionals, and he'd undoubtedly want to be a GM/HC. I can see him going a couple years then going back to TV or coaching college, similar to Saban.

Urban Meyer DOES have an unhealthy obsession with the game, hence why he always has to pull out of HC jobs for "time with his family." He just burns himself out. I don't think these elite college coaches get their rocks off enough being a pro coach. They like landing recruits and they like the turnover.

I will say, I never thought Pete Carroll would be anywhere near as successful as he has been in Seattle. He shocked me, to be honest.

Fu scored and it was awesome. Loved that guy. I saw him at Kennywood around that time. Absolutely massive for an RB.

He was Bettis' "change of pace" :laugh:

f*** did I love watching that line, Kreider, Bettis, and Fu just beat the piss out of teams.

There's definitely a part of me that misses the classic FB in modern football. Partially because it was nice being able to nab the best blocking FB in college whenever we needed to because nobody else was still using the FB position that way...

I miss the FB, because to me, that is how you played schoolyard ball. You lined up, and everyone knew where it was going. It was literally hat on a hat, and the best man won. I love when they would run sweeps and you see Faneca swing out right, Kreider behind him, and Bettis with a full head of steam. I wouldn't want to be standing on those tracks.

I'm seeing a lot of Offensive Tackles with the 1-2 round rating so they might as well snag one up in rd 1.

I think they will ultimately go in that direction, but the thing with OL this draft is there are going to be really good linemen in the 2nd round. This wouldn't be a terrible draft for us to back up and try to nab another pick or two.

I'd absolutely take Stafford. He'd fit in really well here.

Agreed. It will never happen. Ben will not just willingly go out either. He is going to have to reach a level of play where he is embarrassing himself before he decides he doesn't want to do it anymore. I think he wants to go out like Elway did.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
As far as the draft, I think they’ll look to take BPA from the pool of OL, QB, and RB first two rounds.

I still like taking Jones or Trask if they’re there but I doubt they will be, just too many teams looking QB this year.

If Najee is there, they take him no hesitation.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I disagree, I could see Rudolph coming in midway next season if it’s proven that Ben can’t make the intermediate/downfield throws anymore. That’s probably 6 or 7 games to make such a determination. Let me be clear, I’m not a fan of Rudolph and I’d rather bring in a different backup, but if Ben struggles, we gotta at least give him another evaluation.

If the Steelers are fearful of that, they’ll draft a QB in the first round

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
So Omar Khan interviewed for the Houston GM position. Would be a major loss if he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad