The Pittsburgher Thread - Steelers/Football talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Do you think a guy that’s been employed by the Steelers for 20 years will suddenly change the culture?

giphy.gif

They need to hire an external candidate for GM, head coach, and assistant coaches. Drain the swamp, mannn.

It’s all moot until AR2 is still here. He’s the worst.

A lot of times a change in management brings big moves. People want to put their stamp on things and let everyone know there’s a new boss. So yes, even if Khan has been around for a little bit, I think he would make changes

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Do you think a guy that’s been employed by the Steelers for 20 years will suddenly change the culture?

giphy.gif

They need to hire an external candidate for GM, head coach, and assistant coaches. Drain the swamp, mannn.

It’s all moot until AR2 is still here. He’s the worst.
As someone who’s organization went through a “drain the swamp” it’s not always better on the other side, haha. This was after we thought things couldn’t get any worse under current leadership...boy did it get worse with the new ones.

not saying don’t ever do it, just sharing what can happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
An issue I take is that they will parade things out there about Tomlin like "has never had a losing season," or touting how many times he's been to the playoffs. Let's not forget, when he arrived here he was like a 16 year old being given keys to a Ferrari. In his first 5 years he went to 8 playoff games, 2 Super Bowls, won one. This team hasn't been to a conference championship game since 2016. We can paint a rosey picture or call it for what it is. In this city, with a HOF QB at the helm, a ridiculous QB/WR/RB tandem for quite a few years...this team way undershot expectations. But that's good enough...because we've never had a losing season. All that says to me is that you were never good enough to win, but never bad enough to land franchise players. Luckily they have drafted well.

Mediocrity is fine here. The team wins enough to appease most of the fan base. The stadium is full, and everyone is getting paid. I just think Art II is such a weak man. Mediocrity started the day Obama tapped Dan Rooney and asked him to be the ambassador to Ireland in 2009.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
An issue I take is that they will parade things out there about Tomlin like "has never had a losing season," or touting how many times he's been to the playoffs. Let's not forget, when he arrived here he was like a 16 year old being given keys to a Ferrari. In his first 5 years he went to 8 playoff games, 2 Super Bowls, won one. This team hasn't been to a conference championship game since 2016. We can paint a rosey picture or call it for what it is. In this city, with a HOF QB at the helm, a ridiculous QB/WR/RB tandem for quite a few years...this team way undershot expectations. But that's good enough...because we've never had a losing season. All that says to me is that you were never good enough to win, but never bad enough to land franchise players. Luckily they have drafted well.

Mediocrity is fine here. The team wins enough to appease most of the fan base. The stadium is full, and everyone is getting paid. I just think Art II is such a weak man. Mediocrity started the day Obama tapped Dan Rooney and asked him to be the ambassador to Ireland in 2009.

I don’t know if Dan Rooney running things would matter right now.

He should have fired Cowher in ‘99 after multiple championship failures and coming off two woeful seasons.

Dan at least stepped in and saved this franchise from Cowher’s stupidity when he wanted to draft Andrews over Roth.

But Rooney’s don’t fire coaches though...

It’s sad coming across all of these old articles after the Jax debacle... they sounded much like the articles written about the Steelers now.

Yet nothing changed then, and incredibly, nothing is changing now after another embarrassing playoff loss.

AR2 is living in denial. He’s like a kid who keeps sticking a fork in the toaster and never learning his lesson... no matter how many times he gets jolted.

It’s truly bizarre to watch the same shit play out over and over and AR2 pretend it’s not Tomlin.

I dunno man... pretty sad to watch the team I was so passionate about as a kid be held hostage by a fraud.

A fraud that finds new ways of humiliating them every season.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don’t know if Dan Rooney running things would matter right now.

He should have fired Cowher in ‘99 after multiple championship failures and coming off two woeful seasons.

Dan at least stepped in and saved this franchise from Cowher’s stupidity when he wanted to draft Andrews over Roth.

But Rooney’s don’t fire coaches though...

It’s sad coming across all of these old articles after the Jax debacle... they sounded much like the articles written about the Steelers now.

Yet nothing changed then, and incredibly, nothing is changing now after another embarrassing playoff loss.

AR2 is living in denial. He’s like a kid who keeps sticking a fork in the toaster and never learning his lesson... no matter how many times he gets jolted.

It’s truly bizarre to watch the same shit play out over and over and AR2 pretend it’s not Tomlin.

I dunno man... pretty sad to watch the team I was so passionate about as a kid be held hostage by a fraud.

A fraud that finds new ways of humiliating them every season.

I agree. I wish we had the ability to take a fresh approach to things. Manipulate the draft process like New England does. Sign guys in free agency. Being fine with just winning isn't good enough. Like I have said before, it's like a corrupt machine. Everyone is safe. Even the media is involved - they ask these f***ing cupcake questions to a coach whose team just lost a huge game they should have won in embarrassing fashion. "Do you want TJ Watt to be re-signed?" What kind of f***ing question is that to ask? No one asked him one single difficult question. No one made Tomlin squirm. It's ridiculous.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think if the Steelers have a losing season in 2021 then Tomlin gets fired.
You might be right. I mean he shouldn’t still be here now, but his contract expires at the end of this upcoming season, and Ben will likely retire, so this will probably be the best chance we get at coach fraud finally leaving.

I can never root against the Penguins, Steelers or my college team, but it will be difficult if this team makes the playoffs next year, because Bozo will get extended again.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
You might be right. I mean he shouldn’t still be here now, but his contract expires at the end of this upcoming season, and Ben will likely retire, so this will probably be the best chance we get at coach fraud finally leaving.

I can never root against the Penguins, Steelers or my college team, but it will be difficult if this team makes the playoffs next year, because Bozo will get extended again.
If Tomlin makes the playoffs next season despite having the toughest schedule in the league that would be worthy of an extension.
And considering we went 5-2 against playoff teams in 2020 is not unrealistic.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If Tomlin makes the playoffs next season despite having the toughest schedule in the league that would be worthy of an extension.
And considering we went 5-2 against playoff teams in 2020 is not unrealistic.
You have to look closer at those wins, though.

One win was against a depleted Ravens team due to COVID. Another came against the Browns when they were in a bad funk. The Colts second half was great, but they more or less took their foot off the gas in that game. The Titans and other Ravens win, although close, were great.

I think our record against playoff teams was a bit deceiving this season. I will be impressed if we beat teams like the Packers and Chiefs as opposed to a depleted Ravens or Browns team this year.

We will still have winnable games against LAC, LV, Den, 2 CIN, DET, MIN, CHI and win 1 vs CLE. We also usually beat Bal once at least. The AFC West only had 1 playoff team, and the Bears were 8-8 and clearly didn’t belong; NFC North had one really good team.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree. I wish we had the ability to take a fresh approach to things. Manipulate the draft process like New England does. Sign guys in free agency. Being fine with just winning isn't good enough. Like I have said before, it's like a corrupt machine. Everyone is safe. Even the media is involved - they ask these f***ing cupcake questions to a coach whose team just lost a huge game they should have won in embarrassing fashion. "Do you want TJ Watt to be re-signed?" What kind of f***ing question is that to ask? No one asked him one single difficult question. No one made Tomlin squirm. It's ridiculous.

When he gets asked tough questions, he just spews out nonsense like “we died on the vine”.

So why even bother? Not like AR2 would see the light anyway.

It would be comical how pathetic it all is, if it wasn’t my favorite team.

Rooney is so easily duped. He is Charlie Brown and Tomlin is Lucy.

At least Charlie Brown finally figured out a way to kick the damn ball though, unlike AR2.

Reactions: KIRK

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
As someone who’s organization went through a “drain the swamp” it’s not always better on the other side, haha. This was after we thought things couldn’t get any worse under current leadership...boy did it get worse with the new ones.

not saying don’t ever do it, just sharing what can happen.

Truth. My old family owned company was bought out by a huge multi-national conglomerate 9 years ago. They did the feel good, "wow, it's going to be great working for these guys" changes first. More money by job title, not seniority, more vacation days, much more PTO and better benefits. Then came the shit storm. Safety monitoring, process monitoring, efficiency experts, corporate suits constantly parading around. Then last January they dropped the bomb that they were combining us and another corporate outlier with a third company out of state 2 hours away. I'm 56 and own my home outright, wasn't going to happen with no guarantee that I'd have a job to retire from so I took the severance package. Less than 10% of the employees chose to go, some of the ones that are still there temporarily are cashing in big time and I'm happy for them.

Anyway, FWIW, I'd be fine with a blow up from Colbert on down. It's an offense based league now, and Tomlin is a defensive guy. I know it's not the "Steeler Way" to change coaches; they disdain managerial upheaval. Fact is, I think Tomlin is well aware that his job is safe as long as he prevents a total melt down. I mean, how do you fail to have a team prepared for a home playoff game against a divisional opponent no less? I like Tomlin but he has grown too comfortable.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Truth. My old family owned company was bought out by a huge multi-national conglomerate 9 years ago. They did the feel good, "wow, it's going to be great working for these guys" changes first. More money by job title, not seniority, more vacation days, much more PTO and better benefits. Then came the shit storm. Safety monitoring, process monitoring, efficiency experts, corporate suits constantly parading around. Then last January they dropped the bomb that they were combining us and another corporate outlier with a third company out of state 2 hours away. I'm 56 and own my home outright, wasn't going to happen with no guarantee that I'd have a job to retire from so I took the severance package. Less than 10% of the employees chose to go, some of the ones that are still there temporarily are cashing in big time and I'm happy for them.

Anyway, FWIW, I'd be fine with a blow up from Colbert on down. It's an offense based league now, and Tomlin is a defensive guy. I know it's not the "Steeler Way" to change coaches; they disdain managerial upheaval. Fact is, I think Tomlin is well aware that his job is safe as long as he prevents a total melt down. I mean, how do you fail to have a team prepared for a home playoff game against a divisional opponent no less? I like Tomlin but he has grown too comfortable.
That and he is lazy and incompetent.

meechimindoh

Dec 13, 2009
I think if the Steelers have a losing season in 2021 then Tomlin gets fired.

I think it won't happen even then. There will be talk how Tomlin only had one (SB winning) QB entire tenure here and that he earned his right to set up a new offense or some similar BS. 2021 will be perceived as Ben's farewell season and there will not be many coaching changes if they end anywhere between 5-8 wins. Mark my words.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I'd like to think that Brady making it to the Super Bowl with a different team means that the Patriots dynasty was being carried more on his back than most people think.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Anyone But Brady for me....

Love to see him lose but one positive/funny outcome would be watching Pats fans if he won a SB with Tampa. He would like that Championship more than any with Pats and retire and stay with Bucs post retirement. It would be hilarious. If he fails in Tampa then he will just run back to Boston with his tail between his legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad