OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Switzer has absolutely no game speed. He never makes people miss. Zero wiggle. I laugh when he returns kicks/punts. He'll catch the ball. That's about it.

But he's short, white, and a WR so naturally people compare him to Welker/Edelman.

Unless he roided up, he's a bum.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He’s the ZAR of the Steelers.

He's simply not an NFL caliber player. The only reason he's here is Ben. They have some sort of broship. Look, I'm just some regular bum who watches a lot of football and Switzer has NEVER done anything on a football field that made me go, "yeah, I want him on my team". He runs good routes, he catches most everything but he flat out can't separate from anyone. He's a technically sound player but his athleticism is borderline 53 man good. And borderline is being generous.

He's taking up a valuable spot, at a position we've actually done very well over the years with. Honestly, you can probably cut him and he'll still be on the street if you need him at some point down the line.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ZAR actually has good metrics, what does Switzer have, other than Ben's friendship?

ZAR is a bad hockey player that coaches are fooled into believing he has value.

Switz is a bad football player that coaches are fooled into believing he has value.

I can take some fancy PFF stats and show you how the offense was effective when Switz was on the field in 2018.

Somehow though, I doubt that would sell you on him being important to the team.. ala ZAR being some stout defensive player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
ZAR actually has good metrics, what does Switzer have, other than Ben's friendship?
Ben seems to find that dipshit open because literally no defense thinks anyone with half a brain would pass to such a moron, but someone does and so Tomlin justifies him on the roster.

He's literally ZAR/JJ.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Claypool is receiving some props at camp. Our WR corps is a wildcard, but if Claypool can be even marginally productive, JuJu returns to form, Johnson takes a step forward, and Ebron gives us that safety valve/seam stretcher, it may not even matter who the RB is. This offense is going to be really good or really bad.

Highsmith and McFarland are also getting Praise.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I was just coming here to post similar. The bites from Ben...I find that impressive because Ben notoriously doesn't acknowledge rookies or he calls them out. I don't know if I can remember a WR corps that had so much potential but was such an unknown at the same time. The best thing about the WR/TE group is the versatility. JuJu, Claypool, and Johnson can play inside and out. JuJu and Claypool are big boys. I think James Washington may be flipped for a pick before week 6 if things go the way they are now, because Switzer is going to be the number 4 instead of Washington. Throw Ebron into the mix, this team may not need a RB.

If this OL fails, I'd consider flipping a high pick for a lineman if we have to. This team doesn't have a lot of holes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was just coming here to post similar. The bites from Ben...I find that impressive because Ben notoriously doesn't acknowledge rookies or he calls them out. I don't know if I can remember a WR corps that had so much potential but was such an unknown at the same time. The best thing about the WR/TE group is the versatility. JuJu, Claypool, and Johnson can play inside and out. JuJu and Claypool are big boys. I think James Washington may be flipped for a pick before week 6 if things go the way they are now, because Switzer is going to be the number 4 instead of Washington. Throw Ebron into the mix, this team may not need a RB.

If this OL fails, I'd consider flipping a high pick for a lineman if we have to. This team doesn't have a lot of holes.

Going to wait until I see Claypool for myself before I get stoked about him, but imagine if he’s the real deal.

Getting Fitz and a monster receiver out of this draft would be insane.

Reactions: KIRK

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Going to wait until I see Claypool for myself before I get stoked about him, but imagine if he’s the real deal.

Getting Fitz and a monster receiver out of this draft would be insane.

They are talking up Highsmith too. Tomlin has talked about him multiple times. He said they are giving him heavy reps and he hasn't looked out of place.

The Steelers needed to string a few big drafts together to get the ball rolling again after kind of blowing two classes in a row in 15 and 16. 17 was a great class, 18 was decent - a lot of good backup players, 19 has the potential to explode, especially if Johnson and Snell take advantage of increased reps and Justin Layne does anything to get himself on the field. 20 sounds like it has some real potential.

I put zero stock in a guy getting talked up in camp. It has happened before and you usually get let down. The praise that I was shocked with was Ben's...and he's done it multiple times now. How many times has Ben shit on a young guy in the media? Ben is sounding like he genuinely thinks the kid is very good. There's reason to be excited for him, I think.

Diontae Johnson I'm excited to see. There is one play that Johnson made last year that really kind of took luster off of him for me and I forget what game it was, but Rudolph over threw a deep ball to him as he was running down the field, and he just stopped running as the ball sailed over his head. The opposing DB picked it off because he kept running. I hope that isn't Johnson personality and it was just a lapse in common sense.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They are talking up Highsmith too. Tomlin has talked about him multiple times. He said they are giving him heavy reps and he hasn't looked out of place.

The Steelers needed to string a few big drafts together to get the ball rolling again after kind of blowing two classes in a row in 15 and 16. 17 was a great class, 18 was decent - a lot of good backup players, 19 has the potential to explode, especially if Johnson and Snell take advantage of increased reps and Justin Layne does anything to get himself on the field. 20 sounds like it has some real potential.

I put zero stock in a guy getting talked up in camp. It has happened before and you usually get let down. The praise that I was shocked with was Ben's...and he's done it multiple times now. How many times has Ben shit on a young guy in the media? Ben is sounding like he genuinely thinks the kid is very good. There's reason to be excited for him, I think.

Diontae Johnson I'm excited to see. There is one play that Johnson made last year that really kind of took luster off of him for me and I forget what game it was, but Rudolph over threw a deep ball to him as he was running down the field, and he just stopped running as the ball sailed over his head. The opposing DB picked it off because he kept running. I hope that isn't Johnson personality and it was just a lapse in common sense.

Claypool has freak size and speed, so if he’s making plays in camp, isn’t making the same mistakes twice, is building a rapport with Roth... that’s all we could hope for at this point, combining that rare athletic skill with results.

It’s way better than him being lost or not generating buzz.

I have seen the buzz about Highsmith as well. Maybe he does well enough to let Dupree walk... would be huge for cap purposes.

Adding Fitz and Nelson who are young guys was huge and if these last couple drafts pan out, they will be right back to being one of the most talented teams in the league again.

Basically will come down to Roth holding off Father Time and the massive hurdle of overcoming Tomlin.

I didn’t notice anything concerning with DJ last season, but I never noticed anything worrisome with AB until like his third or fourth year so... always a chance he lost the ball in the sun or just made a rookie mistake pulling up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Claypool has freak size and speed, so if he’s making plays in camp, isn’t making the same mistakes twice, is building a rapport with Roth... that’s all we could hope for at this point, combining that rare athletic skill with results.

It’s way better than him being lost or not generating buzz.

I have seen the buzz about Highsmith as well. Maybe he does well enough to let Dupree walk... would be huge for cap purposes.

Adding Fitz and Nelson who are young guys was huge and if these last couple drafts pan out, they will be right back to being one of the most talented teams in the league again.

Basically will come down to Roth holding off Father Time and the massive hurdle of overcoming Tomlin.

I didn’t notice anything concerning with DJ last season, but I never noticed anything worrisome with AB until like his third or fourth year so... always a chance he lost the ball in the sun or just made a rookie mistake pulling up.

I am curious who would be the ideal slot. Claypool is obviously an outside guy. I think Johnson could do damage inside and out. Do we move JuJu back inside?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am curious who would be the ideal slot. Claypool is obviously an outside guy. I think Johnson could do damage inside and out. Do we move JuJu back inside?

DJ is easily their X and was drafted to take that role from Brown.

JuJu is a slot guy, always has been when he did all of his damage his first two seasons. He doesn’t have the shakes or speed to be outside IMHO.

I honestly didn’t look at his numbers last season... Ie percentage in the slot, because he had such a shitty season with injuries and such that it didn’t matter really.

edit: so he lined up in the slot even more last season:

Buy Or Sell: JuJu Smith-Schuster Will Continue To See Majority Of Snaps In The Slot - Steelers Depot

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The thought seems to be that Diontae and Claypool will usurp Boo-Boo Shoester.

I think a lot of it depends on Washington...if he’s serviceable, yes...if he hasn’t made improvements, then I think they’ll try to re-sign JuJu if it’s a reasonable deal...if he has a great season and is asking a lot, maybe not, but franchise tag for one year is a possibility

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The thought seems to be that Diontae and Claypool will usurp Boo-Boo Shoester.

I dunno... they all play different positions.

Washington would be the odd man out right now if Claypool outplays him.

After the season I have no clue with the pandemic and cap... be hard now to pay Watt and JuJu.

But for this season Claypool, DJ and JuJu can all be on the field together as the Steelers played 11 personnel (3 flankers, 1 RB, 1 TE) 70% of the time last season.

Reactions: Rossi Rat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad